Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

Started Oct 8, 2015 | User reviews
adiebear New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

Same issue, same camera- bought with Stephen Mcdonald's recommendation in mind.

Cost to fix in South Africa- $397.70!!
Almost the same as a new one.

I won't buy Sony again, no matter how good the reviews.
I see a Panasonic FZ1000 on the horizon...

adiebear's gear list:adiebear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
davidjyoung New Member • Posts: 1
Re: A possible fix

Thank you.  I've got a dschx300, and the E:62:10 message, and another workaround that hasn't failed yet (at least 5 tries).  Leave lens cap on, power on camera, get E:62:10 message, leave camera in upright position, pop the battery out while in upright position, pop it back in, power on camera, message is gone. Tried it again, worked again. Thank you.  I really like this camera and was prepared to get another with extended warranty.  Thanks again.  Tried it again, it worked again.

Jimmy Fox
Jimmy Fox New Member • Posts: 15

Got the flashing E:62.10 message on my almost 3yr old HX-300
After trying various brutal methods I found a gentle one that worked, temporarily.
Wasn't on this forum so don't know who to credit for the suggestion.

Fully zoom the camera then remove the battery while it's on.
Re-insert the battery and power it back on.
The error message disappears and the image stabilizer works.
ONLY PROBLEM IS YOU HAVE TO REPEAT EVERY TIME YOU POWER OFF.

Not a problem for me since I always leave in on while hiking.
Get about 2 hours out of batteries so it'll will do as a fix.

Saw a repair shop on eBay that will fix any problem with used parts for $105.
As for me, I'll save the money for a new camera and keep resetting this one.

Jimmy Fox's gear list:Jimmy Fox's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Kodak Pixpro AZ651
Normtheborg New Member • Posts: 1

Hi everybody,

I am thinking of buying the HX400V, but I am a bit scare about the E:62:10 problem. Do you know if Sony fixed it ? I usually keep my camera for 3-4 years. I do not want to have to shake the camera after each use to fix a « known » problem from Sony.

Thanks

Jimmy Fox
Re: Error message E:62:10 Finally GAVE UP!

After using three different tricks with varying success for months I finally gave up.
The one that worked most often was powering it on with lens on a table/hand.
Letting it lift it's own weight usually works for a while, with persistence.
Took more and more tries until last week it took 48 before it worked.
The next day I said "I give up!" after 2 dozen tries.
So I ordered a Kodak PixPro AstroZoom AZ651 for $339, wow, can't wait.
It has EVERY feature of the HX400 plus a longer zoom and swivel screen.
For the price I figured it was time to give Kodak a try for old times sake.
 JK Imaging owns the Kodak camera license now.
Kudos to their design team, quality TBD.

"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!"

(It even has a Kodachrome setting)

Adi27a Regular Member • Posts: 111

Jimmy Fox wrote:

Got the flashing E:62.10 message on my almost 3yr old HX-300
After trying various brutal methods I found a gentle one that worked, temporarily.
Wasn't on this forum so don't know who to credit for the suggestion.

Fully zoom the camera then remove the battery while it's on.
Re-insert the battery and power it back on.
The error message disappears and the image stabilizer works.
ONLY PROBLEM IS YOU HAVE TO REPEAT EVERY TIME YOU POWER OFF.

Not a problem for me since I always leave in on while hiking.
Get about 2 hours out of batteries so it'll will do as a fix.

Saw a repair shop on eBay that will fix any problem with used parts for $105.
As for me, I'll save the money for a new camera and keep resetting this one.

For me the above solution works.

I found last week the E:62.10 in a Sony HX400 (almost 3yr old - without 30 days).

It seems that 3 years is the life span of some circuit related to IS ?!?!

Adi27a's gear list:Adi27a's gear list
Canon PowerShot N Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony a7 Sony a6000 +13 more
Jimmy Fox

Glad it helped but I eventually gave up, gradually took more and more tries.
My girlfriend bought me a new Kodak AstroZoom AZ 651, 65x 21 MP CMOS.
Pretty much the same camera as Sony HX but with swivel LCD and RAW files!
Oh, and Remote Control vis Android or Apple App, have mine on 7" G-pad,
Same 20.4 MP, may be Sony;s, but seems to have better white balance.

Did I mention the Kodak was only $349?
Buttons are in the right places and comfortable grip.
Not perfect but so far as good or better than the Sony.
Not Zeiss glass which is why I had the Sony, focus can be soft.
Ah, but the JPG's don't have a paintbrush or blocky look like Sony's.
All in all the Kodak has won my heart, still need practice though.
Menus are not logical to me yet, kind of a steep learning curve.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,796

Jimmy Fox wrote:

Glad it helped but I eventually gave up, gradually took more and more tries.
My girlfriend bought me a new Kodak AstroZoom AZ 651, 65x 21 MP CMOS.
Pretty much the same camera as Sony HX but with swivel LCD and RAW files!
Oh, and Remote Control vis Android or Apple App, have mine on 7" G-pad,
Same 20.4 MP, may be Sony;s, but seems to have better white balance.

Did I mention the Kodak was only $349?
Buttons are in the right places and comfortable grip.
Not perfect but so far as good or better than the Sony.
Not Zeiss glass which is why I had the Sony, focus can be soft.
Ah, but the JPG's don't have a paintbrush or blocky look like Sony's.
All in all the Kodak has won my heart, still need practice though.
Menus are not logical to me yet, kind of a steep learning curve.

Read some of the consumer reviews on the Amazon sales page, before buying this Kodak model. The one labeled as the "Most Critical Review", especially.

-- hide signature --
Christopher C New Member • Posts: 1

I started seeing the "E:62:10" error code appear coincident with a noticeable loss of lens stability. The view screen image is not steady when taking hand-held movies and focusing on still shots. The innermost part of the lens also visibly and audibly appears to wobble when lightly shaken.

RJake1 Regular Member • Posts: 140

Every time I buy a new camera I'm invited to purchase an extended warranty.  if I choose not to buy it, then I'm assuming the risk.

RJake1's gear list:RJake1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6500 +1 more
anixi Regular Member • Posts: 141

ruicfc wrote:

Sony just replace optical unit, but in fact the problem is only flexibel cable inside the machine that connects to the stabilizer, which totally or partially breaking with the frequent use of zoom.

Probably do not have enough quality.

It appears to be the same issue of FPCs breaking in 1Nikon 10-30mm lenses. The difference between them is that Nikon pays for the repair.

Shucks out of luck, mate.

tomrandall86
tomrandall86 Regular Member • Posts: 248

Christopher C wrote:

I started seeing the "E:62:10" error code appear coincident with a noticeable loss of lens stability. The view screen image is not steady when taking hand-held movies and focusing on still shots. The innermost part of the lens also visibly and audibly appears to wobble when lightly shaken.

Yep that sounds about right.

Pretty sure it needs to be opened up and replaced. Maybe a degraded cable causing the stabilisation to freak out. Who knows? Far too expensive a fix unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Olympus OM-D E-M5mkII
M.Zuiko 14-150mmII
M.Zuiko 12-40mm PRO
M.Zuiko 75-300mmII
Samyang 12mm F2.0

tomrandall86's gear list:tomrandall86's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
ric111 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Here is a video for the same problem on HX300?? Follow these easy steps and you should be able to fix it in just over 6 minutes, just like the person in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru55zJWHCc0

ric111's gear list:ric111's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
Phoenix91 New Member • Posts: 1

Well, I own Sony fdr ax100.  Six months from the purchase the above error popped up.  It comes and goes.  The fix should cost around $200!

To my opinion that module, which to my understanding is being used across Sony's camera's, is of poor reliability so I don't think it can be regarded as just a "lemon" and disregarded from the review.  I think that first of all the camera has to be reliable and only afterwards comes the performance review.  On my latest, various Sony's video camera, there was a poor reliability (all of them) although I keep them all in a clean and perfect condition.  Something bad happens to Sony which was my favorite for many years.

philippe22 New Member • Posts: 1

problème E 62-10 apparu sur mon HX-300 en décembre 2017, mon appareil n'est plus garanti depuis 10 jours, je suis très déçu, je ne recommanderai pas Sony pour TOUS mes appareils.

anixi Regular Member • Posts: 141

Translation:

Problem E 62-10 appeared on my HX-300 in December 2017, My device is no longer guaranteed since 10 days, I am very disappointed, I would not recommend Sony for all my devices.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,796

philippe22 wrote:

problème E 62-10 apparu sur mon HX-300 en décembre 2017, mon appareil n'est plus garanti depuis 10 jours, je suis très déçu, je ne recommanderai pas Sony pour TOUS mes appareils.

Avez-vous un HX 300 au un HX400V? J'employais un HX400V depuis Avril, 2014, et il était bien pour moi, avec rien de problèmes.

-- hide signature --
nikonerror New Member • Posts: 8
agus2 New Member • Posts: 9

I just had the E:62:10 problem with a 30 months old HX400v, I would never buy this camera again as it is obvious from a simple search in internet that this is a very common problem. A decent manufacturer would actually recall all units for free repair. It also could be programmed obsolescence.

I would like to see this so widespread problem noted in the review of this camera to avoid anybody even considering purchasing it.

R Olivier
R Olivier New Member • Posts: 8

plutopup wrote:

hmtrip83 wrote:

Arghhhhh. I love my Sony Cybershot HX400. I've had it for 16 months now. This morning I turned it on and went to take a picture and there is some hitch when it tries to focus. Like a motor or something inside catching. Then it focuses and takes the shot fine, but each time I depress the button to snap the picture it does this. Very unhappy as I am sure that this can't be good. Then this evening I got the dreaded E62:10 error flashing in my screen. I turned it off, took out the battery, then turned it back on and it was fine, but still that weird hitch when I go to take a picture. What is odd is that sometimes it doesn't do that. I will try to take out the card and battery and knock it a little, but don't have much home for that. What causes this stuff? I have babied this camera since I got it in Nov. of 2014?!! I love taking pictures and will take maybe a hundred some days and maybe only 20 on other days, but I do use it just about every day as I get pictures published on the news and have a FB group that I post pictures in. VERY NOT HAPPY!!!

Sorry to hear this happened to you as well. Got my HX400v in June, 2014 and started playing up Sept. 2015 with the same problem. If you bought it from a licensed Sony reseller and can prove it to your local Sony people you may be able to get some help. Would be interested to know how you go.

Hello,

Like many other people, I have had the same problem with a HX400V. This one was purchased through a local store (Krefel in Belgium) and supported with warranty till mid 2017. It began giving the E:62:10 message in early 2018. At this point I searched on Google and of course as everybody I was then astonished by the number of similar cases... I posted a message on the SONY communities forums and they advised to contact the technical support, which I did. The technical support asked a copy of the invoice but till now they argue that the problem is unknown to them (!!) and refuse any support. You can find the whole story here translated from French to English.

I don't know where you are in your idea of documenting a list of reported problems, but I had the same idea and in very few time I discovered more than 150 forum discussions (with probably thousands of users complaining, and even more users impacted ) listed here .

At the time being I continue to use the workaround that some other people have given and that I re-documented in a video to support the others.

I was once a happy Sony user, I am not anymore.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads