Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

Started Oct 8, 2015 | User reviews
JZteEM New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

Purchased my HX400V in May, 2014 from a licensed Sony retailer in the Netherlands (that's were I live). Developed E:62:10 error message 3 weeks ago, 1 year and 6 months after purchase.

There's nothing specially happened. My vacation is behind me. Now I'll go to the seller and hope for a better help to fix my camera. I will let you know.

JZteEM's gear list:JZteEM's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
EAmador2013
EAmador2013 New Member • Posts: 3

I got the same error on my Sony RX100 bought in Japan (English language version) in 2013... I brought it to the service repair and they want to charge me over $200US... Being a Sony user since 2011 I am really disappointed with their customer service... I know that other brands are far better addressing these problems and giving solutions!

I really loved the quality of the pictures I got with my RX100 but I can't afford to pay such amount... Considering to buy an alternative to it, a different brand though... Some suggestions?

EAmador2013's gear list:EAmador2013's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
SwedishPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 416

Bill Borne wrote:

Stephen McDonald wrote:

It doesn't make sense to give a camera model a drastically downgraded rating, just because one of them had a fault develop after more than a year of good service. If an athlete won a race and sprained an ankle after finishing, would the victory be cancelled?

Makes sense to me. That's his opinion and I can see whyh he is frustrated. Again and again over the years I have seen the same problems arise with certain models ans sony just ignores them saying "Out of Warranty". For example the H5 half press problem! Widely know but sony would not repair after warranty. I got bit with that one! So I purchased another one and sent the original one back under the new ones warranty!!!! And gave it to my daughter!!! Sony is and always will be horrible about customer service! That is why I never buy a camera till it's been out for quite a while. I'm sure they fix things in later production runs and never tell anyone!

And that is why I always buy extended accidental warranty. Why accidental? Cause when something does happen and they claim moisture or something I'll Accidentally drop it from a roof top!

Now That's just my opinion!

Yeah, but when a product is 3 months out of warranty, it simply is well out of warranty.

It's on forums like this we see the ones that break down, the vast majority aren't so unlucky. Every brand has products that break down, but you never hear from the ones that don't (usually).

It's the same with everything that has warranty. We have NO clue to how this user has used and abused his camera (not saying he has though!!), but you can't expect companies to magically extend warranties for everyone.

I agree though that if it is something that is widely known (and widely known on forums doesn't count, ie: 30 cases doesn't count), it sucks.

And yeah, this camera "review" doesn't make any sense. He's not reviewing the camera, he's reviewing Sony.. I'm sure he was happy with the camera for almost a year and a half.

This is what sucks with electronics, it's tender stuff. But, i can't get enough of it

SwedishPhoto's gear list:SwedishPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS M Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 +7 more
tomrandall86
tomrandall86 Regular Member • Posts: 248

Mine has just happened. Tried the slapping technique, didn't work. Turned it on upside down and it worked... for about 10 seconds. Devastated, it was a gift, and apparently it's not cheap to fix?

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V
Olympus OM-D E-M5mkII + M.Zuiko 14-150mmII

tomrandall86's gear list:tomrandall86's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
ruicfc New Member • Posts: 1

Sony just replace optical unit, but in fact the problem is only flexibel cable inside the machine that connects to the stabilizer, which totally or partially breaking with the frequent use of zoom.

Probably do not have enough quality.

tomrandall86

ruicfc wrote:

Sony just replace optical unit, but in fact the problem is only flexibel cable inside the machine that connects to the stabilizer, which totally or partially breaking with the frequent use of zoom.

Probably do not have enough quality.

Great images of the cause of the problem there. I got quoted £160 to fix mine. Ridiculous. I want to get it fixed but I do not want to pay that much for something that breaks just because it gets used in a normal fashion.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V

Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
hmtrip83 New Member • Posts: 7

Arghhhhh. I love my Sony Cybershot HX400. I've had it for 16 months now. This morning I turned it on and went to take a picture and there is some hitch when it tries to focus. Like a motor or something inside catching. Then it focuses and takes the shot fine, but each time I depress the button to snap the picture it does this. Very unhappy as I am sure that this can't be good. Then this evening I got the dreaded E62:10 error flashing in my screen. I turned it off, took out the battery, then turned it back on and it was fine, but still that weird hitch when I go to take a picture. What is odd is that sometimes it doesn't do that. I will try to take out the card and battery and knock it a little, but don't have much home for that. What causes this stuff? I have babied this camera since I got it in Nov. of 2014?!! I love taking pictures and will take maybe a hundred some days and maybe only 20 on other days, but I do use it just about every day as I get pictures published on the news and have a FB group that I post pictures in. VERY NOT HAPPY!!!

hmtrip83's gear list:hmtrip83's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900
plutopup
OP plutopup Junior Member • Posts: 40

hmtrip83 wrote:

Arghhhhh. I love my Sony Cybershot HX400. I've had it for 16 months now. This morning I turned it on and went to take a picture and there is some hitch when it tries to focus. Like a motor or something inside catching. Then it focuses and takes the shot fine, but each time I depress the button to snap the picture it does this. Very unhappy as I am sure that this can't be good. Then this evening I got the dreaded E62:10 error flashing in my screen. I turned it off, took out the battery, then turned it back on and it was fine, but still that weird hitch when I go to take a picture. What is odd is that sometimes it doesn't do that. I will try to take out the card and battery and knock it a little, but don't have much home for that. What causes this stuff? I have babied this camera since I got it in Nov. of 2014?!! I love taking pictures and will take maybe a hundred some days and maybe only 20 on other days, but I do use it just about every day as I get pictures published on the news and have a FB group that I post pictures in. VERY NOT HAPPY!!!

Sorry to hear this happened to you as well. Got my HX400v in June, 2014 and started playing up Sept. 2015 with the same problem. If you bought it from a licensed Sony reseller and can prove it to your local Sony people you may be able to get some help. Would be interested to know how you go.

GIBBSUK New Member • Posts: 1

My HX400v is 20 months old and I have had the E:62:10 error for 2 months now. I have contacted Sony and they went through the factory reset and take out the battery but both did not work. Only option to fix it would be to pay for repair. Since the error occurred I have taken a few thousand photos and apart from the irritating flashing message and the slow start up the pictures are generally OK. From what I have been able to find out on the internet E:62:10 is an error with the lens system. Some seem to be poor electrical connections between the camera body and the lens. Others are either dirt or gearing failures. The tapping of the lens may help with an electrical connection problem (which some people have solved the error) but I think this would be only a short term fix. There is a you-tube video showing a HX-400 camera being dismantled and the connection to the lens being soldered and this fixed the error. From what I can understand the repair would be at least £150. This is the first camera I have had in 10 years to fail so quickly and as a result the next camera I get will be anything but a Sony. Shame though I did like the manual focus on a bridge camera.

tomrandall86

Sorry to hear this bro. Mine still has the error. The other day I switched it on and the error didn't happen, took images fine and was stable. Switched off and back on again and it came back. I watched a video a while back where the guy dismantled the camera and said something about the think ribbon cable becoming damaged with zooming use. Any ways I contacted a repair centre and they quoted me around £160 to repair, which is bloody ridiculous considering the cost of the camera these days.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,981
Re: A possible fix

A very similar error with much the same symptoms and message appears sometimes on the RX1.'

The fix is fast and easy. The lens assembly on the HX400 is different so I don't know whether it will work on that camera or not, but it might be worth trying.

Check the following and you might also go to the whole post where you will find responses from others who tried this fix (and it worked) on the RX1.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52636849

-
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,257

Plutopup, don't recall you mentioning whether you went back to DWI? As yours was likely a grey import, it appears that they look after warranty themselves. From their website:

DWI provide the inHouse warranty for 12 months according to the manufacturer's specifications for the period.

Digital Cameras, Digital SLR Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, Lenses, Flashes, Mobile Phones, Tablets, Computers, Audio Items, Watches and Image Viewers are all covered by a 12 month warranty unless otherwise stated in their product descriptions.

For detailed information please review the following link:InHouse Warranty

Sony Australia has no responsibility for warranty on imported goods and this is the same for almost all Australian Distributors. I don't think it is going to be different with Canon, Nikon, Panasonic or anyone else. You seem to have overlooked that is why it is always better to buy locally obtained goods. Stinks I know but that is how it is. You assumed the risk when you bought from DWI.

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Sony RX100 VI +10 more
tomrandall86

Mike Fewster wrote:

A very similar error with much the same symptoms and message appears sometimes on the RX1.'

The fix is fast and easy. The lens assembly on the HX400 is different so I don't know whether it will work on that camera or not, but it might be worth trying.

Check the following and you might also go to the whole post where you will find responses from others who tried this fix (and it worked) on the RX1.

-
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Interesting, I'll give it a shot. I've already tried the slapping technique to no avail.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V

tomrandall86 wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Interesting, I'll give it a shot. I've already tried the slapping technique to no avail.

OK, let us know how it goes.

As I said, I know this works on the RX1 and others who have tried it also found that it works. I know it also worked on some earlier Cybershot models. Whether it will work on this model???

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
tomrandall86

Gonna try it today, but re reading the post, it looks like quite a scary action. Holding the camera lens facing toward the table, and turning on, won't allow the lens to extend to its standard "on" position, which I guess forces it in some sort of direction. Scary, scary stuff.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V

tomrandall86 wrote:

Gonna try it today, but re reading the post, it looks like quite a scary action. Holding the camera lens facing toward the table, and turning on, won't allow the lens to extend to its standard "on" position, which I guess forces it in some sort of direction. Scary, scary stuff.

On the RX1, the lens barely moves when the camera is turned on. Even so, I wouldn't push down hard, just a little pressure is enough. I'd do the same with the HX. Allow the lens to extend, just keep a little pressure on it as it does so.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
tomrandall86

Mike Fewster wrote:

tomrandall86 wrote:

On the RX1, the lens barely moves when the camera is turned on. Even so, I wouldn't push down hard, just a little pressure is enough. I'd do the same with the HX. Allow the lens to extend, just keep a little pressure on it as it does so.

Just gave it a few tries; unsuccessful unfortunately. I tried at varying pressures, to the point of not letting the barrel extend in which the camera just tells you to turn it off and on again. Repeated a few times, and on one occasion the error disappeared but the physical problems remained, which are that you can see the edge of the barrel through the screen, and that the stabilization system vibrates if you looks closely at the screen.

Im still going  scour the Internet a little more, and see if there is anyone who knows a little engineering on these things. I down right refuse to pay almost £200 for the fix, when its a mechanical error after a year and a half, and when the camera costs £300 or less new.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V

tomrandall86 wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

tomrandall86 wrote:

Just gave it a few tries; unsuccessful unfortunately. I tried at varying pressures, to the point of not letting the barrel extend in which the camera just tells you to turn it off and on again. Repeated a few times, and on one occasion the error disappeared but the physical problems remained, which are that you can see the edge of the barrel through the screen, and that the stabilization system vibrates if you looks closely at the screen.

Im still going scour the Internet a little more, and see if there is anyone who knows a little engineering on these things. I down right refuse to pay almost £200 for the fix, when its a mechanical error after a year and a half, and when the camera costs £300 or less new.

Sorry about that. It was worth a try as it definitely works on the RX1.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
plutopup
OP plutopup Junior Member • Posts: 40

Mike Fewster wrote:

tomrandall86 wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

As I said, I know this works on the RX1 and others who have tried it also found that it works. I know it also worked on some earlier Cybershot models. Whether it will work on this model???

Too late for me to try this. Gave up hope earlier this year of getting it fixed and sold my $500.00 HX400v in pristine condition for a lousy $200.00 and thought I was lucky to get that for a camera with an error problem. Was not happy and still am not happy!

tomrandall86

plutopup wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

tomrandall86 wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Too late for me to try this. Gave up hope earlier this year of getting it fixed and sold my $500.00 HX400v in pristine condition for a lousy $200.00 and thought I was lucky to get that for a camera with an error problem. Was not happy and still am not happy!

Sorry to hear that mate. It is a massive bummer. I don't understand for one minute why this has been an on going problem across several models for years and years, of which develops AFTER the warranty is finished. It doesn't make sense as to why these things are still happening. I don't know what to do with mine, it was a gift from my partner and she's as annoyed as what I am. £160 to fix. £270 for a new one. £210ish for a used second hand one. Ridiculous.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Sony HX400V

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads