Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

Started Oct 8, 2015 | User reviews
plutopup
plutopup Junior Member • Posts: 41
Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

Purchased my HX400v in June, 2014 from a licensed Sony retailer (DWI) overseas. Developed E:62:10 error message two weeks ago, 15 months after purchase and Sony in Australia refused to fix the camera which was only 15 months - they say it is out of warranty. Having been a loyal Sony user for 15+ years am totally disgusted by their treatment and even worse is that you have to communicated with their helpline in Manila. Would be nice to deal with someone in Australia.

When I reported the problem through Sony's troubleshooting line (in Manila) and after 'fix' was attempted I was led to believe that the phone would be fixed by Sony at no cost to me - I had clearly told them where the camera was purchased and the purchase date. Arrangements were made for a courier to pick up the camera and take it to Sydney.

After much mucking around on the phone to Sony in Manila and to their service people in Sydney to see what was going on with the camera finally was told the camera was out of warranty and I would have to pay for any repair. I was told to assess the problem would cost me $167.40 which would include return postage and one hour's labour. Needless to say I refused to proceed and had the camera sent back to me - was not prepared to pay $167.00 plus parts for a camera which cost less $500.00 in the first place.

Have now replaced this camera with a Panasonic Lumix FZ70 - will not buy a Sony Cybershot camera again due firstly to the treatment I received from Sony and secondly due to the fact that the E:62:10 error appears to be an inherent one which has been occurring for a number of years in both a range of Cybershot and video cameras, from 2007 at least, based on Google searches I have carried out regarding this problem. At no stage, when asked, would (or could) any Sony person I spoke to explain to me what this E:62:10 error message was and what possibly had caused it.

Have been happy enough with this camera but this latest experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I say this as someone who has previously owned the following Sony cameras over the past 15 or so years: DSC S50, DSC F717, HX1, HX100 and SLT a330 and who currently owns a SLT a77. This experience has led me to rate this camera very poorly.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 1200 mm (50×)
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
plutopup's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,390
Re: Error message E:62:10 in 15 month old HX400v

It doesn't make sense to give a camera model a drastically downgraded rating, just because one of them had a fault develop after more than a year of good service. If an athlete won a race and sprained an ankle after finishing, would the victory be cancelled?

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 46,131

Stephen McDonald wrote:

It doesn't make sense to give a camera model a drastically downgraded rating, just because one of them had a fault develop after more than a year of good service. If an athlete won a race and sprained an ankle after finishing, would the victory be cancelled?

Makes sense to me. That's his opinion and I can see whyh he is frustrated. Again and again over the years I have seen the same problems arise with certain models ans sony just ignores them saying "Out of Warranty". For example the H5 half press problem! Widely know but sony would not repair after warranty. I got bit with that one! So I purchased another one and sent the original one back under the new ones warranty!!!! And gave it to my daughter!!! Sony is and always will be horrible about customer service! That is why I never buy a camera till it's been out for quite a while. I'm sure they fix things in later production runs and never tell anyone!

And that is why I always buy extended accidental warranty. Why accidental? Cause when something does happen and they claim moisture or something I'll Accidentally drop it from  a roof top!

Now That's just my opinion!

-- hide signature --

"Wild Man from Borneo"
Click for Bonehead's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
plutopup
OP plutopup Junior Member • Posts: 41

A product, it doesn't matter what the product is, is only as good as the service and support you get for it if and when a problem occurs. The point of my review was to highlight two things:

1) If you have a problem in Australia with a Sony product you have deal with this problem via Sony's phone support call centre in Manila, Philippines. You can not talk to a local person to go over your problem. Language and comprehension issues can and do arise with this approach no matter what you may be told by others.

2) That a relatively new product, 15 months old, that develops a problem which has been around for years in a variety of similar/older products, will cost you money to repair as Sony will treat your item as 'out of warranty'. In my case I was quoted $167.40 to just get an assessment of the problem by the Sony appointed service centre, a figure that did not include the cost of any parts should they be required nor any labour costs over and above the first hour.

In other words, to fix the problem could quite likely have cost me more than half of what I paid for the camera in the first place.

So, in my opinion, highlighting the lack of ability to speak to a Sony rep. in Australia and the treatment of a loyal Sony customer who has bought and owned a number of Sony cameras over the past 15+ years does warrant my marking down this product if for no other reason to get the attention of potential buyers so that they will be aware of how they will be treated should a problem occur should they buy this camera or another Sony camera or product.

Bill Borne

plutopup wrote:

A product, it doesn't matter what the product is, is only as good as the service and support you get for it if and when a problem occurs. The point of my review was to highlight two things:

1) If you have a problem in Australia with a Sony product you have deal with this problem via Sony's phone support call centre in Manila, Philippines. You can not talk to a local person to go over your problem. Language and comprehension issues can and do arise with this approach no matter what you may be told by others.

2) That a relatively new product, 15 months old, that develops a problem which has been around for years in a variety of similar/older products, will cost you money to repair as Sony will treat your item as 'out of warranty'. In my case I was quoted $167.40 to just get an assessment of the problem by the Sony appointed service centre, a figure that did not include the cost of any parts should they be required nor any labour costs over and above the first hour.

In other words, to fix the problem could quite likely have cost me more than half of what I paid for the camera in the first place.

So, in my opinion, highlighting the lack of ability to speak to a Sony rep. in Australia and the treatment of a loyal Sony customer who has bought and owned a number of Sony cameras over the past 15+ years does warrant my marking down this product if for no other reason to get the attention of potential buyers so that they will be aware of how they will be treated should a problem occur should they buy this camera or another Sony camera or product.

No kidding. Tell it to Steve, not Me...I am a firm believer in what you say.!

You are not the only one. I have heard many many gripes over the years about Sony customer support and I'm pretty sure...They have some great cameras but nut seem to have the same problems on them over and over that is all well and good when under warranty but you are SOOL when the warranty runs out and the problem is definetly the cams fault! I believe that is why so many people buy other brands.

Google the error...so many pages I can't count!

-- hide signature --

"Wild Man from Borneo"

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Aisse Gaertner
Aisse Gaertner Contributing Member • Posts: 965

I got E:62:10 too. Luckily under warranty.
My hx300 has this error and a friend got this error too.

It is a absurd! Gold times when CS was Made In Japan!

Good features, poor image/manufacturing quality.

I'm leaving Sony...

Aisse Gaertner's gear list:Aisse Gaertner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Irix 15mm F2.4 +1 more
plutopup

Oops! Comment was meant for Steve in response to his comment.

And that is the point Bill, if anyone was to do a Google search for the E:62:10 error message they will find pages of results for both Sony cybershot cameras and video cameras going back to 2007 so I find it hard to believe this is a 'one-off' issue but rather an inherent problem which may in fact only show up from time to time but a problem that has consistently showed up in a variety of Sony cameras over the years both when the camera has been under warranty or after the warranty has ended - as in my case, three months afterwards.

My point in rating and raising my issue was to make other people aware of a potential problem they may have once they purchase this, or possibly another cybershot model, based on the problems recorded and reported to date on the internet.

And furthermore, to point out to potential buyers the problems they may have in dealing with Sony's support network which is located in a different country to where I live.

plutopup

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

I got E:62:10 too. Luckily under warranty.
My hx300 has this error and a friend got this error too.

It is a absurd! Gold times when CS was Made In Japan!

Good features, poor image/manufacturing quality.

I'm leaving Sony...

Sad, isn't it Aisse. At least you were under warranty. I have owned five cybershots in addition to two Sony DSLT's over the past 15 years inclduing: DSC S50, F717, HX1, HX100 and now HX400.

A number of years ago there was an issue with the F717 and Sony did the right thing and told owners to take it to the local Sony repair centre where the problem was fixed at no cost to the owner. When this happened with my F717 it was well outside the warranty period. And that is why I am so upset of this current problem I having with a camera that was 15 months old when it occurred and I reported it to Sony.

Bill Borne

plutopup wrote:

And that is the point Bill, if anyone was to do a Google search for the E:62:10 error message they will find pages of results for both Sony cybershot cameras and video cameras going back to 2007 so I find it hard to believe this is a 'one-off' issue but rather an inherent problem which may in fact only show up from time to time but a problem that has consistently showed up in a variety of Sony cameras over the years both when the camera has been under warranty or after the warranty has ended - as in my case, three months afterwards.

My point in rating and raising my issue was to make other people aware of a potential problem they may have once they purchase this, or possibly another cybershot model, based on the problems recorded and reported to date on the internet.

And furthermore, to point out to potential buyers the problems they may have in dealing with Sony's support network which is located in a different country to where I live.

I was talking to a guy from India about my cable tv problem after dialing a local phone number!

-- hide signature --

"Wild Man from Borneo"

plutopup

Bill Borne wrote:

plutopup wrote:

I was talking to a guy from India about my cable tv problem after dialing a local phone number!

Need I say anymore? And I didn't even touch on the language/communication/comprehension issue when dealing with tech support in Asia or the Philippines.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,390

Over the past 27 years, I've had 16 Sony cameras or camcorders. I've used most of them heavily, for several years in some cases and I've never seen an error message on any of them.

Rough handling may be responsible for these messages, as plugs for wire bundles may be partially detached. What else could explain them working again, after being slapped?

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
plutopup

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Over the past 27 years, I've had 16 Sony cameras or camcorders. I've used most of them heavily, for several years in some cases and I've never seen an error message on any of them.

Rough handling may be responsible for these messages, as plugs for wire bundles may be partially detached. What else could explain them working again, after being slapped?

Understand what you are saying Stephen. I have owned the following Sony cameras over the past 15+ years: DSC S50, F717, HX1, HX100 and HX400v. In addition I have previuosly owned a SLT a330 and currently own a SLT a77.

In all that time the only issue I had with one of these cameras was when I received a notice from Sony a number of years ago re: my F717 advising a fault had been found with the camera and asking me to take it to a local repair shop they nominated for a free repair.

I have always looked after my cameras meticulously and NOT ONCE have I received an error message (except for now with the HX400v) or dropped or caused damage to one of the above cameras. When not in use they are kept in a padded camera case.

So with all due respect Stephen, you can rule out rough handling or me dropping the HX400v to cause this error message. As to slapping or giving the camera an intentional knock to get rid of the error message, well, let's just say I am not prepared to take this sort of drastic action.

P.S. I have also owned previously numerous Pentax film cameras over the years (I am 62) and never had a problem with any of those nor with a second hand Canon EOS 1000D or with a Nikon D5100.

plutopup

Doing a Google search result in many reports of this E:62:10 error. In this thread someone notes in 2007:

"Yes i had the same error message E;62;10 on DSC-T9 I took it to the Sony repair agent on the Gold Coast ,he advised that the lens -focus gear?? had to be replaced

$255.00 parts and $55.00 to fit it
I dont think so ,will wait and buy a new camera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now I am on the Gold Coast also and there is NO Sony repair agent here anymore. The interesting thing here is that the assessment of the error message relates to 'lens-focus gear' issue which would cost upward of $300.00 to replace/repair.

This is a link to the forum discussion on this topic from where I took the above quote. You will note the error message back then affected a number of Sony cameras, not just the DSC-T9.

As I have said elsewhere, I believe this is an inherent problem which as a Google search reveals has affected numerous Sony cameras and video cameras since 2007, a problem that Sony would be aware of and one that Sony should accept for repair at no cost to the owner.

mike geier
mike geier Senior Member • Posts: 2,096
Or you could expect something better

You could look at it like that, OR you could have a right to fully expect the quality of a piece of merchandise you buy to be better than to just work until the guarantee period expires. Gee, I don't know which I prefer.....

mike geier's gear list:mike geier's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 +13 more
Bill Borne
class action lawsuit n/t

plutopup wrote:

Doing a Google search result in many reports of this E:62:10 error. In this thread someone notes in 2007:

"Yes i had the same error message E;62;10 on DSC-T9 I took it to the Sony repair agent on the Gold Coast ,he advised that the lens -focus gear?? had to be replaced

$255.00 parts and $55.00 to fit it
I dont think so ,will wait and buy a new camera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now I am on the Gold Coast also and there is NO Sony repair agent here anymore. The interesting thing here is that the assessment of the error message relates to 'lens-focus gear' issue which would cost upward of $300.00 to replace/repair.

This is a link to the forum discussion on this topic from where I took the above quote. You will note the error message back then affected a number of Sony cameras, not just the DSC-T9.

As I have said elsewhere, I believe this is an inherent problem which as a Google search reveals has affected numerous Sony cameras and video cameras since 2007, a problem that Sony would be aware of and one that Sony should accept for repair at no cost to the owner.

-- hide signature --

"Wild Man from Borneo"

plutopup
Re: Or you could expect something better

mike geier wrote:

You could look at it like that, OR you could have a right to fully expect the quality of a piece of merchandise you buy to be better than to just work until the guarantee period expires. Gee, I don't know which I prefer.....

I know what I prefer, a product that costs $500.00 plus to last at least 2-3 years, not until just after warranty ends.

sknippen Regular Member • Posts: 108

Had this problem also with my RX100II. Went back to the seller and handed my camera for repair under warranty. Now it work's fine.  Had this also with my old DSCT10 camera, but this camera was more then 6 years old when the problem occurred. With the RX100 the problem started after i left my camera for a few days in a hot car in the summer.

sknippen's gear list:sknippen's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
plutopup

Got my hands on a Nikon Coolpix P610 to play around with over the weekend and must say was pleasantly surprised. Given the treatment by Sony over the problem with my Sony HX400v I have sworn off Sony cybershot cameras and I am looking at alternatives and I was pretty happy with the results the P610 gave me given I really don't understand the camera.

Even more pleasing was being told the P610 comes with a TWO YEAR WARRANTY which begs the question" WHY DON'T SONY GIVE A TWO YEAR WARRANTY FOR THEIR CAMERAS? That wold have solved my problem!

Anyway, here are some photos I took the other day, as I say, knowing very little about the camera, and shooting virtually 'straight out of the box' - this camera could be a keeper.

I particularly like to take photos of the different wildlife that visits us where we live using shadows as a way to highlight the animal and, as I say, I was pretty happy my the results above taken with the Coolpix P610.

For the purpose of comparison here are some photos I took earlier this year with the Sony HX400v.

plutopup

Haven't given up on trying to get my HX400v repaired. Just spoke to an authorized Sony service centre where I live which I got off the Sony website and they said the E:62:10 error message is indicative of the camera requiring a 'new lens' the cost for which is about $300.00.

Spoke to another authorized Sony service centre from their website in another state and they don't deal with consumer cameras, they referred me to the 1300 number which takes you to Manila where I have already been.

Would seem I am stuck with a dud 15 month old camera!

Daniel Moussavi New Member • Posts: 1

I experienced similar problem with sony after sale service. I have an HX100V which after 3 years of operation, has lost its initial quality and takes dim photos. I consulted sony service center and they suggested to change the lens pack for 300$!!!. They also provided no reason for this defect.

I have also decided to no more buy sony products.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads