Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

Started Oct 7, 2015 | Discussions
JoeOzz Forum Member • Posts: 71
Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a brand new Sony a6000 and took it for the first shoot today during sunset. I wanted to test the camera to see how much dynamic range there is and did a couple HDR shots, when I ran into an issue with horizontal lines in the frame during processing. The lines are there in the raw files, they are not processing artefacts.

See the images to understand what I am talking about:

Entire frame

Issue cropped in

The lines run through the trailer and are 2 pixels wide. I am not certain how they will affect print quality, but on my Retina Macbook they are clearly visible. Not a good sign.

I am not sure what to make of it and hope somebody has a clue here. Is my sensor faulty? If so, I think I could return the camera, it was bought yesterday.

Cheers!

 JoeOzz's gear list:JoeOzz's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,782
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

It's a well discussed issue in shots with very strong backlight:

http://www.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=a6000%20banding&forum=1042&only-titles=yes

The banding is enhanced with heavy PP - if you process your files like your posted example on a regular basis then it could be a real problem for you...

 SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II +1 more
Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,264
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

RAW files consist of lines, off the sensor. Convert to tif with the camera manufacturer's converter and process that. What I see are refracted Sun's rays.

OP JoeOzz Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

That is unfortunate. I shoot sunsets like this a lot. And I mean a lot. I am seriously considering returning the camera...

 JoeOzz's gear list:JoeOzz's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
OP JoeOzz Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

Thanks, I tried your suggestion but the issue was there also in the sony raw converter. The lines are picture artefacts from the sensor I think. I doubt diffraction as a reason.

 JoeOzz's gear list:JoeOzz's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,008
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

JoeOzz wrote:

Thanks, I tried your suggestion but the issue was there also in the sony raw converter. The lines are picture artefacts from the sensor I think. I doubt diffraction as a reason.

It looks to me like having the sun in the picture is overloading the sensor. Direct sunlight is kind of harsh...

This is different from (brighter than) the typical sunset photo, I would guess.

Perhaps an ND filter and other settings (small aperture?) would help the situation. Frankly, I never get the sun directly in the frame if I can help it, because I don't think it's good for the sensor and it's too drastic of a dynamic range problem.

Worst case, a good photo editor could remove the lines. I've removed telephone lines out of photos... and poles.. and people.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
cwills75 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

Have you tried turning off E-Front Curtain sync to see if it removes the banding? With such bright light and the a6000's E-Front Curtain being too fast at times banding is sometimes introduced. It's worth a try anyway.

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,008
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

cwills75 wrote:

Have you tried turning off E-Front Curtain sync to see if it removes the banding? With such bright light and the a6000's E-Front Curtain being too fast at times banding is sometimes introduced. It's worth a try anyway.

Good catch! I forgot about that. Isn't it a potential problem whenever the shutter speed is too fast?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
cwills75 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

GaryW wrote:

cwills75 wrote:

Have you tried turning off E-Front Curtain sync to see if it removes the banding? With such bright light and the a6000's E-Front Curtain being too fast at times banding is sometimes introduced. It's worth a try anyway.

Good catch! I forgot about that. Isn't it a potential problem whenever the shutter speed is too fast?

Sorry, i mis-typed, i meant to say e-front curtain shutter, not sync.  But you got what I meant
I've seen it at varying degrees under different situations, such as certain lenses when aperture is set narrow, using HSS at certain shutter speeds, large amounts of light, etc.  I think the E-front curtain (basically a hack not using the real shutter) is just too fast and causes banding sometimes.

Sony nex user Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.
3

That is unfortunate. I shoot sunsets like this a lot. And I mean a lot. I am seriously considering returning the camera...

I returned my a6000 for the same reason about a year ago, after receiving this answer from Sony about the banding issue:

"
Basically what you see on those pictures is an exhibit of streaking effect commonly seen on CMOS sensors. The sensitivity to this phenomenon is more or less visible depending on the sensor construction. Each generation of sensor tries to reduce such phenomenon but it is not always possible to do so. The 24Mpix sensor used on this model (and on some other Alpha) is a bit more sensitive to this issue compared to previous models.

This phenomenon is reproducible on all ILCE-6000 using similar condition (bright backlight shot and dark subject in foreground, applying contrast boost in the shadows) but it is mostly noticeable when some post-processing are applied (like for example brightness/contrast change).

In normal shooting condition this should not be a major issue."

Still hoping for a newer model without this issue one day.

MikeBruce Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

JoeOzz wrote:

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a brand new Sony a6000 and took it for the first shoot today during sunset. I wanted to test the camera to see how much dynamic range there is and did a couple HDR shots, when I ran into an issue with horizontal lines in the frame during processing. The lines are there in the raw files, they are not processing artefacts.

See the images to understand what I am talking about:

Entire frame

Issue cropped in

The lines run through the trailer and are 2 pixels wide. I am not certain how they will affect print quality, but on my Retina Macbook they are clearly visible. Not a good sign.

I am not sure what to make of it and hope somebody has a clue here. Is my sensor faulty? If so, I think I could return the camera, it was bought yesterday.

Cheers!

This is a defect with the a6000 sensor.  There is no fix.  Sorry buddy. This camera is no good for sun-flare type shots.

MikeBruce Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

How in the heck did you get 1/10,000 of a sec shutter speed?!

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 12,868
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

MikeBruce wrote:

How in the heck did you get 1/10,000 of a sec shutter speed?!

DPR sometimes inserts that false figure when there is no EXIF data.

ColSebastianMoran New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Issue with horizontal lines in a6000 raw captures.

Old thread, but interesting.

With an extreme case, and making extreme adjustments to Exposure and Contrast in Lightroom, I can see the horizontal lines.

A possible hint: For me, lines appear and disappear with slight changes to the Lightroom exposure slider.

Here's an example with EXTREME adjustments. Screen grab at 8:1, those are the individual pixels. The black at left is a tree leaf, real in the photo. The horizontal bands are the artifacts in brightly backlit area.

Horizontal banding, A6000, backlit scene, after EXTREME manipulation in Lightroom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads