Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Started Oct 6, 2015 | Discussions
1elementin7groups
1elementin7groups Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787
Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)
4

I thought maybe some of you 150-600 Sport owners would like this mod...

I love the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens but I hated the foot. If I was hand holding the lens, or carrying it around, I could not grab it by the foot and carry it comfortably. My hands are just too large. This was awkward for me.

So I ordered a block of 0.5" x 1.75" 6061-T6 flat bar aluminium (under $12), and sourced some M4 longer screws at Ace Hardware.

I used a hacksaw to cut the alum block to size, drilled the four foot holes on the drill press and screwed it together. Now I have an extra .5" of space between the collar and the foot. A little thread locker on the screw threads and it is secure.

Cut aluminum block spacer, new screws inserted in shoe, old screw on the right.

Aluminum spacer block and shot mounted.

Spacer block mounted plus Arca plate on shoe.

You can get the aluminum flat bar at hardware stores or Amazon or just do a search for it.

Dave

-- hide signature --
 1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Sony FE 600mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sony a1 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter +10 more
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

thank you for sharing

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Sony a99 II +71 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,585
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

It is a partial solution. I too found the 3/4 inch gap too small for my hands but a bigger problem is that I cannot mount the lens foot to my gimbal head without it blocking either the lens controls or the controls on the right side of the camera.

Shooting hand held with the foot sticking down is also far from optimum. Sigma only did this on the Sport model. On their Contemporary version the foot slopes forward so it is out of the way as with most other telephoto lenses. The collar comes off the Contemporary lens (and the Tamron 150-600mm and Nikon 200-500mm) as well so the lens is much better suited to hand held shooting.

 calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
Krudawd Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

1elementin7groups wrote:

I thought maybe some of you 150-600 Sport owners would like this mod...

I love the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens but I hated the foot. If I was hand holding the lens, or carrying it around, I could not grab it by the foot and carry it comfortably. My hands are just too large. This was awkward for me.

So I ordered a block of 0.5" x 1.75" 6061-T6 flat bar aluminium (under $12), and sourced some M4 longer screws at Ace Hardware.

I used a hacksaw to cut the alum block to size, drilled the four foot holes on the drill press and screwed it together. Now I have an extra .5" of space between the collar and the foot. A little thread locker on the screw threads and it is secure.

Cut aluminum block spacer, new screws inserted in shoe, old screw on the right.

Aluminum spacer block and shot mounted.

Spacer block mounted plus Arca plate on shoe.

You can get the aluminum flat bar at hardware stores or Amazon or just do a search for it.

Dave

Thanks; do you have anything left from the original stock?

 Krudawd's gear list:Krudawd's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX30 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +9 more
1elementin7groups
OP 1elementin7groups Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Krudawd wrote:

1elementin7groups wrote:

I thought maybe some of you 150-600 Sport owners would like this mod...

I love the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens but I hated the foot. If I was hand holding the lens, or carrying it around, I could not grab it by the foot and carry it comfortably. My hands are just too large. This was awkward for me.

So I ordered a block of 0.5" x 1.75" 6061-T6 flat bar aluminium (under $12), and sourced some M4 longer screws at Ace Hardware.

I used a hacksaw to cut the alum block to size, drilled the four foot holes on the drill press and screwed it together. Now I have an extra .5" of space between the collar and the foot. A little thread locker on the screw threads and it is secure.

Cut aluminum block spacer, new screws inserted in shoe, old screw on the right.

Aluminum spacer block and shot mounted.

Spacer block mounted plus Arca plate on shoe.

You can get the aluminum flat bar at hardware stores or Amazon or just do a search for it.

Dave

Thanks; do you have anything left from the original stock?

I will probably keep what I got left...but I got it from Onlinemetals.com, cheap, fast ship,

exact order:

1 piece @ $4.40/piece

Aluminum 6061-T6511 Bare

Extruded Rectangle

0.5" x 1.75"

Cut to: 10-12" random length

-- hide signature --
 1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Sony FE 600mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sony a1 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter +10 more
Krudawd Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Thanks for that info.

 Krudawd's gear list:Krudawd's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX30 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +9 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

I didn't know the lens foot looked like this. The only two people I have seen using it, had a mount that supports the lens at both ends has a little spirit level on it. Tried googling it but no luck.

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Siggy vs Nikon

fishy wishy wrote:

I didn't know the lens foot looked like this. The only two people I have seen using it, had a mount that supports the lens at both ends has a little spirit level on it. Tried googling it but no luck.

I am at the verge of acquiring a 2nd hand Sort Siggy (brand new)...and wonder if Nikkor 200-500, exactly at the same price, is better?

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Sony a99 II +71 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,759
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Here's a considerably more elegant (albeit manufactured) solution:

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2015/12/new-replacement-foot-for-sigma-150.html

Notice that not only is the foot further spaced-out, but an Arca-Swiss dovetail integrated in.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm F1.4 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +17 more
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

DtEW wrote:

Here's a considerably more elegant (albeit manufactured) solution:

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2015/12/new-replacement-foot-for-sigma-150.html

Notice that not only is the foot further spaced-out, but an Arca-Swiss dovetail integrated in.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Sony a99 II +71 more
pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

DtEW wrote:

Here's a considerably more elegant (albeit manufactured) solution:

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2015/12/new-replacement-foot-for-sigma-150.html

Notice that not only is the foot further spaced-out, but an Arca-Swiss dovetail integrated in.

Great find.

Also, it seems, that whatever replacement foot fits the canon 2.8/400mm will fit the Sigma sport lens.

Brad Hill mentioned2 of them here:

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#jerryrig_sigmafoot

I have the Really Right Stuff LCF-51 for Canon.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/LCF-51-for-Canon-400mm-600mm-800mm-IS

While it does make the lens taller (easier to carry), it still  fits into the sigma lens case.

Markus

 pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +8 more
1elementin7groups
OP 1elementin7groups Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Mark K wrote:

DtEW wrote:

Here's a considerably more elegant (albeit manufactured) solution:

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2015/12/new-replacement-foot-for-sigma-150.html

Notice that not only is the foot further spaced-out, but an Arca-Swiss dovetail integrated in.

Thanks

Hi Mark, thanks for posting.  I probably would have went with this solution. However, I wish they had made the foot longer so it could have more room to balance the lens on a ball head or gimbal.

Dave

-- hide signature --
 1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Sony FE 600mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sony a1 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter +10 more
pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

120mm might be a little short, assuming it is the overall length. My RRS LCF-51 has an overall length of 150mm, of which 120mm is the Arca Swiss groove part.

I am not sure, If I would use this on a ball head, since the balancing point moves about 1.5" between 150mm and 600mm (with lens hood extended), D810 without battery pack.

D810 with battery pack (8 AA's) on my ProMediaGear Katana Gimbal head, the Balance point between 150mm and 600mm moves around 1".

Hope, this helps.

Markus

 pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +8 more
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

My replacement foot arrived but I find the original foot being too tight to loosen using the supplied small Allen key. Is there a better tool to unscrew the four tiny screws?

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Sony a99 II +71 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Mark K wrote:

My replacement foot arrived but I find the original foot being too tight to loosen using the supplied small Allen key. Is there a better tool to unscrew the four tiny screws?

There are only 3 ways to do it.

1. longer Allen key

2. If you can find a small metal pipe to put over the key to make it longer to get more leverage.

3. They make these sockets with the Allen key so you can use socket wrench with it and it will give you the most leverage.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

I sprayed some lubricant and was only able loosen three screws....Local Sigma offered their help.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Sony a99 II +71 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Mark K wrote:

I sprayed some lubricant and was only able loosen three screws....Local Sigma offered their help.

There is a Locktite on the thread. It can be broken by hitting on the head of the screw or by torquing.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

mensch plus kamera
mensch plus kamera Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

1elementin7groups wrote:

I thought maybe some of you 150-600 Sport owners would like this mod...

I love the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens but I hated the foot. If I was hand holding the lens, or carrying it around, I could not grab it by the foot and carry it comfortably. My hands are just too large. This was awkward for me.

So I ordered a block of 0.5" x 1.75" 6061-T6 flat bar aluminium (under $12), and sourced some M4 longer screws at Ace Hardware.

I used a hacksaw to cut the alum block to size, drilled the four foot holes on the drill press and screwed it together. Now I have an extra .5" of space between the collar and the foot. A little thread locker on the screw threads and it is secure.

Cut aluminum block spacer, new screws inserted in shoe, old screw on the right.

Aluminum spacer block and shot mounted.

Spacer block mounted plus Arca plate on shoe.

You can get the aluminum flat bar at hardware stores or Amazon or just do a search for it.

Dave

The downside may be reduced stiffness, though. So you might have to wait longer for vibration to ebb off on a tripod.

m+k

-- hide signature --

Live every life as if it was your last.

 mensch plus kamera's gear list:mensch plus kamera's gear list
Pentax Optio 450 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
Bernard Waxman Senior Member • Posts: 1,672
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

Here is a great solution if you don't mind spending a few dollars;

The foot is made by Jobu Design. It has enough length to give good balance at all zoom extensions, and is Arca Swiss compatible.

Here is a link to my original post foot .

-- hide signature --

bmw

 Bernard Waxman's gear list:Bernard Waxman's gear list
Olympus E-10 Nikon D2X Nikon D100 Nikon D3100 Nikon D800 +16 more
archrich Senior Member • Posts: 1,464
Re: Sigma 150-600 Sport Foot Fix (for me)

I agree, it is a great solution. I have one on my Sport too. Jobu makes excellent products.

Archie

 archrich's gear list:archrich's gear list
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X100F Sony RX10 IV +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads