Workflow when travelling with a tablet for backup

Started Oct 5, 2015 | Discussions
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,979
Workflow when travelling with a tablet for backup

Currently I use an old, very cheap, netbook for backing up and reviewing images when travelling.  It has enough HD capacity for any trip that I am likely to take and it runs FastStone which is adequate for all my reviewing needs.  I don't now do any editing while travelling after a Galapagos trip where I spent every night editing images.  Now I leave all the editing, except obvious deletions, until I get back.  I don't clear my used memory cards until I have copied everything onto my desktop when I get home and backed it up. Then I reformat the memory cards and clear the netbook's HD.

My wife has an iPad and I have a very cheap, small android tablet which is only used for controlling various music streaming devices.  I have never used either for backing up images.

I think that now is the time to dump the netbook and just take a single tablet for backup and reviewing images as well as normal e-mail and internet use.  I probably need an absolute maximum of 100GB for backup and am quite happy backing up onto USB memory sticks or SD cards.  I shoot raw only and, although I would occasionally like to review an image at full resolution, reviewing the embedded JPEG is OK.  Conversion to JPEG might be useful but as a last resort I can convert in camera.

I would be grateful for any recommendations on what tablet, accesories and software to get and what workflow to use for backing up.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,119
Re: Workflow when travelling with a tablet for backup

Buy a surface pro. Use it as you would when backing up on a computer (because that's essentially what it is )

richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,950

I use a Surface Pro 3 for almost all my editing these days.  It's that good.  Sure, it's a bit pricey for a tablet, but it's a really fine machine capable of running Lightroom and Photoshop with ease. It could conceivably be your only machine.  My desktop goes weeks at a time without being used.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +16 more
OP Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,979

I think that the Surface Pro 3 is overkill for what I want to do.

All I want to do is backup and review while I am travelling.  I won't be doing any editing until I get home and then I will use my desktop.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
TomBW Regular Member • Posts: 210

I just took a week and half trip and backed up using my Dell Venue Pro 8" windows tablet. They are relatively inexpensive and can take micro SD. So each night I plugged the camera in to the USB, transferred photos to the tablet micro SD and reviewed from there. Windows 8/10 have a decent enough photo viewing program that could read my Sony ARW files and do some minor developing if there was anything I really wanted to share right away.

TomBW's gear list:TomBW's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more

TomBW wrote:

I just took a week and half trip and backed up using my Dell Venue Pro 8" windows tablet. They are relatively inexpensive and can take micro SD. So each night I plugged the camera in to the USB, transferred photos to the tablet micro SD and reviewed from there. Windows 8/10 have a decent enough photo viewing program that could read my Sony ARW files and do some minor developing if there was anything I really wanted to share right away.

Thanks, Tom.  That is much more like the size and price that I was thinking of.

I will look into it.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,054

I have a surface pro 3 which is fully loaded.  It is useable as a laptop replacement.  Emphasis on useable.  Useable but not 100% suitable, unless you connect a mouse and keyboard.  But it is an outstanding tablet.

Yes, the SP3 is pricy, but there are also other tablets now that run Windows.  I saw an ad recently for a Teclast X98 Pro.  It is a 10" (I think) tablet that runs 64 bit windows and was listed somewhere around $250.  It also has a very high res screen.

To me a windows based tablet is far better than android with it's watered down 'apps'.  Any tablet that is running windows will (or should) also be able to run your desktop programs.  Having windows on your tablet and laptop/desktop will make for a much easier workflow.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
nikon power Regular Member • Posts: 360
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,666
Funny. I just stuck a hybrid SSD into mine.

500 GB and a useful speed increase for OZ $89 !
Detailed PP on the road just doesn't seem that important
when you know it can wait for the right tools at home.
FastStone here too for initial chuckage,
although it's going to Mint xfce very soon,
so that will mean using another program.
Hard to see anything replacing it on the road. (I'm lucky, mine is 1368*768).

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony a7R +25 more
ggbutcher
ggbutcher Contributing Member • Posts: 640

I just used the progenitor to this tablet in the way you intend on a vacation trip to Europe:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

For this trip, I shot only JPEG, and I'd copy the card contents to a directory on the tablet nightly. The Windows 10 Photos app is really not that bad a snapshot editor, so I played with it a bit, straightening, some exposure alteration, and occasional cropping. When I got home, I copied the directory structure I'd built to the server where I archive pictures. I still haven't cleared the cards yet, until I'm happy with the alterations I made.

For an upcoming railroad photo expedition, I plan to do mostly the same, except to shoot RAW+JPEG, separate cards for each. I'll copy them to the tablet nightly, and maybe do a bit of play editing with the JPEGs. I'll save the real editing for at home on my Linux desktop with RawTherapee and the RAW files.

For any tablet used in this role, I would not rely on the internal storage; if the thing dies, your files are stuck inside. On my Win tablet, I moved the libraries (Documents, Videos, Pictures, etc...) to a removable SD card, which also has the side benefit of freeing space on the internal drive for installing programs.  I've trashed a couple of laptops where I just had to pull the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure to retrieve my files; a similar calamity on a tablet, and I'd be up that creek without a paddle if the libraries weren't on removable media.

Cheap tablet works well, but only for that specific use.  I've tried real PP on the tablet, and it's just too slow and small memory-wise.

ggbutcher's gear list:ggbutcher's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Backing up on an Android tablet.

I think that I am going to go for a Windows based tablet with a Micro-SD card slot but, if I decide to go for an Android tablet instead is it easy to back up images direct from a camera to a Micro SD card?

Are there apps available that will do this?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Re: Backing up on an Android tablet.

Chris R-UK wrote: I think that I am going to go for a Windows based tablet with a Micro-SD card slot but, if I decide to go for an Android tablet instead is it easy to back up images direct from a camera to a Micro SD card? Are there apps available that will do this?

Hi Chris, I recently "upped" my tablet to a 10.6" dual-OS one, had Win 8.1 (auto updated to Win 10 - which can be fairly easily made to look and run like Win 7) and Android 4.4. Excellent and not expensive. I went for this one because it also had a "normal" USB2 port in addition to the usual mini one. Large battery too - 8000mAh would you believe. 2GB RAM and 32GB ROM. I have a 32GB pen drive in the USB socket for extra storage - can take larger and can also take an external USB drive - I have a spare 500GB one at home should I ever need it. I got the "magnetic" keyboard/case as that then makes it into virtually a full computer.  At least you can check it out easily - and see my review.  I'm a fairly regular customer of Everbuying and not connected to them in any other way.

Cost today is approx. £120 and the case an extra approx. £15. Here's the link:

http://www.everbuying.net/product875583.html

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Zone8 wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote: I think that I am going to go for a Windows based tablet with a Micro-SD card slot but, if I decide to go for an Android tablet instead is it easy to back up images direct from a camera to a Micro SD card? Are there apps available that will do this?

Hi Chris, I recently "upped" my tablet to a 10.6" dual-OS one, had Win 8.1 (auto updated to Win 10 - which can be fairly easily made to look and run like Win 7) and Android 4.4. Excellent and not expensive. I went for this one because it also had a "normal" USB2 port in addition to the usual mini one. Large battery too - 8000mAh would you believe. 2GB RAM and 32GB ROM. I have a 32GB pen drive in the USB socket for extra storage - can take larger and can also take an external USB drive - I have a spare 500GB one at home should I ever need it. I got the "magnetic" keyboard/case as that then makes it into virtually a full computer. At least you can check it out easily - and see my review. I'm a fairly regular customer of Everbuying and not connected to them in any other way.

Cost today is approx. £120 and the case an extra approx. £15. Here's the link:

http://www.everbuying.net/product875583.html

That is amazingly cheap.  Have you ever had to return anything to them under warranty?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

TomBW Regular Member • Posts: 210

Chris R-UK wrote:

I think that I am going to go for a Windows based tablet with a Micro-SD card slot but, if I decide to go for an Android tablet instead is it easy to back up images direct from a camera to a Micro SD card?

Are there apps available that will do this?

I've put the micro SD from my camera into my android phone to view photos and personally didn't find the user experience as good as using my windows tablet. Maybe the 5.5" display vs. 8" was part of it, but I think it was more of a thing where default windows 10 just had everything I needed built in where Android I would have needed to search for the right apps to do what I wanted.

TomBW's gear list:TomBW's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276

Touch wood no and that's over about 3 years. You could also search amazon.co.uk as some now also list there. I believe TinyDeal.com (also used same period) now have UK warehouse. If I can help more just mail me. P.S. I don't get commission!

-- hide signature --

know
Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

allanmh Regular Member • Posts: 105

I have used an Android tablet for backup on a couple of trips, and it is basically a nightmare to get it to work. The Android OS is simply not designed for large-scale file tranfers.

These days I use a hybrid Windows PC, The Asus 100T for traveling backup. When traveling by car, or flying with generous baggage weight allowances, I take the whole PC, with USB port and 500GB internal drive.

When baggage restictions apply, I just take the tablet part, with a mini-USB-to-regular-USB converter cable, a card-reader, and a couple of 128GB USB-sticks.

So far, it has proven adequate for my needs.

-- hide signature --

allanmh

photofreak985
photofreak985 Forum Member • Posts: 81

I use an Android tablet and a windows laptop. Apart from relying on backup on other storage devices, I also keep my work on Dropbox as a safety measure.

photofreak985 wrote:

I use an Android tablet and a windows laptop. Apart from relying on backup on other storage devices, I also keep my work on Dropbox as a safety measure.

Can you actually backup on the tablet?  The only other comment on Android tablets in this thread says that it is very difficult.

At the moment I am looking at Windows tablets since they seem to be the only practical option for backing up onto a Micro SD card.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,119

Chris R-UK wrote:

photofreak985 wrote:

I use an Android tablet and a windows laptop. Apart from relying on backup on other storage devices, I also keep my work on Dropbox as a safety measure.

Can you actually backup on the tablet? The only other comment on Android tablets in this thread says that it is very difficult.

At the moment I am looking at Windows tablets since they seem to be the only practical option for backing up onto a Micro SD card.

Although I use a windows tablet now I have in the past backed up on an android tablet. Using an OTG cable you can simply plug in a SD card reader and using a file manager app just copy and paste to the tablets micro SD. I then went one step further and plugged in an external HDD and copied them across to there but this isn't really necessary, especially if you're uploading to dropbox.

I'm not sure if this works with all tablets without some form of rooting though. At the time I had a samsung tablet which from what I gather normally are more agreeable with external storage.

Jacobite
Jacobite Regular Member • Posts: 392

Have a look at Photo Mate R2. You'll find it on Google play. I think I paid about three quid for it.

Not used it much yet so can't really give any feedback.

-- hide signature --

‘Wars don’t last forever Henry, only war does.’
Capt. Benjamin Franklin ‘Hawkeye,’ Pierce. B.S. M.D. MASH 4077.

Jacobite's gear list:Jacobite's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads