No Longer My Go-To Macro

Started Oct 3, 2015 | User reviews
johnpendleton
johnpendleton New Member • Posts: 15
No Longer My Go-To Macro

I wanted to note that this was the premier M.Zuiko macro lens when I purchased it. Now that I have my 40-150 f2.8 PRO, however, I really haven't taken this 60mm lens out of the bag much. The 40-150 handles the insect & Flower outdoor close-ups better than the 60, since I can stand back farther and focus easier with the bigger lens. That really comes in handy with bees & spiders.

So it's still a great lens but I lowered the rating because it's been seriously upstaged.

johnpendleton's gear list:johnpendleton's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Panasonic FZ2500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III OM-1 +11 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro
Telephoto macro prime lens • Micro Four Thirds • V312010BU000
Announced: Feb 8, 2012
johnpendleton's score
Average community score
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,558
Re: No Longer My Go-To Macro

I am not sure about the logic of such a comparison.  Two different types, classes and styles of lenses aimed at different shooting opportunities.  I have never owned the macro lens, and do own the other lens, but would not normally use them in the same settings.  In the end, a lens gets used or sits on the shelf for its own merits.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +29 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: No Longer My Go-To Macro - but still a top performer

Hi John

I don’t see the logic of lowing the rating of the very high performing macro lens just because you have moved on to another very high performing lens.

The lens remains as good as it every was; for you, the f2.8 40-150 ranks a little ahead of it -- but that takes nothing from the macro lens per se.

By the way, I haven't use either of these lenses. I have used the old Oly 40-150 and the Panny 45-150 with supplementary lenses for my macro work. I also have a supplementary lens for the Panny 12-35. And I am using the 100-300 for c/u stuff. And I have a couple of extension tubes I mess around with.

How good are the results I get? Very good. Are they as good as the 60mm macro? I don't know, maybe not. I have seen some marvelous work with the 60mm, but what I use more than meets my relatively modest macro needs.

But there is no way I would downgrade the 60mm on the basis that I don't use it.

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://rabaulpng.com/we-are-all-traveling-throug/i-waited-51-years-for-tavur.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 45,899

I bought the Olympus 60/2.8 Macro and am happy with it and intend to keep being happy with it no matter what other macro lenses I have.  But I also have the Panasonic 30mm f2.8 OIS macro and if I could be happier with another macro lens then this is it.  Not only is it a great little macro lens for the usual things but it has become my go-to portable copying machine and all things general purpose.  Macro lenses can be useful for other things besides bees and flowers.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

ricky1981 Regular Member • Posts: 307

I've owned both and comparing them is a bit crazy, it's like marking down the 75mm because it isn't a zoom. Try doing 1:1 macro with your 40-150mm and let me know how that goes. After that, try fitting it in a small carry bag too.

FWIW I sold the 40-150 Pro because as good as it was, it was too large and somewhat defeated the point of m43. I still have and love the 60mm.

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 4,063
Pana Macro 2.8/30mm

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I bought the Olympus 60/2.8 Macro and am happy with it and intend to keep being happy with it no matter what other macro lenses I have. But I also have the Panasonic 30mm f2.8 OIS macro and if I could be happier with another macro lens then this is it. Not only is it a great little macro lens for the usual things but it has become my go-to portable copying machine and all things general purpose. Macro lenses can be useful for other things besides bees and flowers.

In film days, I used the Micro Nikkor 55mm as my standard lens and found it usable for about 80% of what I did. So I am thinking about getting the P 30mm. However, the 1,7/42,5 also has some close focus capability and might be the better for my 1,7/20.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 7,988

40-150 pro - 760 grams v 60 - 185 grams!

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,386

johnpendleton wrote:

I wanted to note that this was the premier M.Zuiko macro lens when I purchased it. Now that I have my 40-150 f2.8 PRO, however, I really haven't taken this 60mm lens out of the bag much. The 40-150 handles the insect & Flower outdoor close-ups better than the 60, since I can stand back farther and focus easier with the bigger lens. That really comes in handy with bees & spiders.

So it's still a great lens but I lowered the rating because it's been seriously upstaged.

It sounds like you were never using the 60mm as a macro lens because most of most of the work I do with my 60mm wouldn't be possible with the 40-150.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 39,637
Crazy thread.

That's just nuts, how can a 1:1 macro lens be replaced by a huge and cumbersome tele zoom lens that only goes to about 1:4.7?

Better would be my Panasonic 45-150mm lens with a Raynox 250 on the front where I do get better  than 1:1 (real macro) at a huge working distance, now THAT could replace the 60mm macro lens, but it hasn't for me. The 60mm is just so nice to use.

Get the rating back to 5 or whatever, you unjustly reduced it because of your preference for closeups and not for macro.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: Crazy thread + 1

Guy Parsons wrote:

That's just nuts, how can a 1:1 macro lens be replaced by a huge and cumbersome tele zoom lens that only goes to about 1:4.7?

Better would be my Panasonic 45-150mm lens with a Raynox 250 on the front where I do get better than 1:1 (real macro) at a huge working distance, now THAT could replace the 60mm macro lens, but it hasn't for me. The 60mm is just so nice to use.

Likewise, except that the tele zoom + supplementary lens does the job that I want and I don't have the 60mm. But as I said above, looking at what I see people post here using the 60mm, I know the limitations of what I do.

Get the rating back to 5 or whatever, you unjustly reduced it because of your preference for closeups and not for macro.

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://rabaulpng.com/we-are-all-traveling-throug/i-waited-51-years-for-tavur.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Harvey Melvin Richards Regular Member • Posts: 295

I also use my 40-150 PRO and the MC-14 much more than I use my 60mm Macro. I have no plans to get rid of the 60 though. For flowers and larger insects and spiders, I prefer the 40-150 PRO, it's much easier on my knees. However the 60 is better at extreme close ups and it is much easier on my wrist and elbow.

Harvey Melvin Richards's gear list:Harvey Melvin Richards's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Noku Dzu Regular Member • Posts: 307
Different lenses for different puproses - Re: No Longer My Go-To Macro

I too am puzzled about why you would consider the 60mm lens to have lower rating because you prefer your zoom lens for the way you like to work.

It seems that you have found a solution that works well for you for your style of photography.  That's great.

But, that doesn't change the rating of the 60mm, in my opinion.

Enjoy your zoom and I'll enjoy my 60mm for my macro work.

Noku Dzu's gear list:Noku Dzu's gear list
Canon G5 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Airmel
Airmel Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Re: Crazy thread++
-- hide signature --

AirMel
http://www.mel-photo.com
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that know binary and those that don't.

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +18 more
AmbleYonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,960

have you been caught out by false advertising ?

if the lens is not capable of 1:1 then you were shooting close ups not macro anyway .

Leif S. Regular Member • Posts: 172

I had the converse experience.  Had been using the 60 mm only for macro, and 75-300 II for birds.  Was in the back yard stalking bugs with the 60 mm, and was presented with squirrels & woodpeckers instead, so I took the shots, thinking they would be throwaway due to insufficient reach.  Wow!  Suddenly I understood what all the fuss about "prime" lenses is about.  It was like I had done a pretty strong Photoshop "unsharp mask" to my photos, but it was all done by the lens!

Leif S.'s gear list:Leif S.'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
johnpendleton
OP johnpendleton New Member • Posts: 15

To all the members of "Team 60mm" who seem to have taken my review somewhat personally, I apologize for any global ranking my star rating may have lowered. I was only thinking of myself and my own interaction with this particular lens when I casually and unthinkingly posted my review. I was simply musing through my gear list when I noticed "oh, yeah, I still have the 60mm -- funny how I haven't used it since I got the 40-150 PRO, since my close-up work is primarily outdoors," and felt irresponsibly free to share the idea. I should have thought of the greater image ranking of this lens among the macro community and never been so selfish. Please forgive me - I shall now go eat some ground glass.

johnpendleton's gear list:johnpendleton's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Panasonic FZ2500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III OM-1 +11 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 39,637
Tasty....

johnpendleton wrote:

To all the members of "Team 60mm" who seem to have taken my review somewhat personally, I apologize for any global ranking my star rating may have lowered. I was only thinking of myself and my own interaction with this particular lens when I casually and unthinkingly posted my review. I was simply musing through my gear list when I noticed "oh, yeah, I still have the 60mm -- funny how I haven't used it since I got the 40-150 PRO, since my close-up work is primarily outdoors," and felt irresponsibly free to share the idea. I should have thought of the greater image ranking of this lens among the macro community and never been so selfish. Please forgive me - I shall now go eat some ground glass.

Just because I ride my bicycle now I regard my Rolls-Royce as a rubbish thing to own, so I rate it poorly now.

Hey, try BBQ sauce with the ground glass, delicious!

To the serious side of life......

In my case I rarely do use my 60mm, instead I reach for a Panasonic LX3 or a Ricoh R3 for the odd quick closeup, or generally when out close-ups are readily handled by the 12-40mm lens at 40mm. But I still regard the 60mm as one of the best lenses that I've ever owned, so you can understand the defensive outcry with your undeserved down-rating of the lens.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,895

johnpendleton wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you. My close up shooting has always been that....close ups, not macro. The 60 is excellent, I still have it, but the 40-150.2.8 is the lens I use today for what close up shooting I do because it does get so close, and those few times it does not focus close enough, out comes the 10mm or 14mm Kenko tube. The field of view and compression you get shooting up close between 100-150mm, with or without the tubes, is fantastic compared to any 60mm lens.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M (Typ 262) Leica CL Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +12 more
richj20 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,181
A similar experience...

johnpendleton wrote:

Hello John,

I have a similar experience with my Panasonic 45mm f/2.8 macro: I like being able to stand farther back with my 45-150mm for flowers and insects:

So, It's one less lens to carry when hiking!

On a recent trip I used that lens almost exclusively; photographs here:

Sequoia National Forest Trip with Panasonic 45-150mm

- Richard

-- hide signature --
cits
cits Junior Member • Posts: 32

I think you low rating really is irrelevant. Because you have a huge, heavy lens than can 'do the same' and more as this macro/prime lens, the macro lens should get much lower star rating? The review did not state the qualities, pro or cons of the lens, just that you got a big, heavy lens that can do the same thing but often a tripod would be helpful when zooming in from afar. I have looked at the large lens you have and decided it was not for me. The reason I went to m4/3 was neck & back problems. Wanted a portable system... I can stick my PenF in my purse with a small lens, cannot do that with the 40-150.

Perhaps you might want to sell all your small lenses....I might be interested.

-- hide signature --

Happy Pets Go with the Flo
Walnut Creek, CA
Put some cool personas (thmes or skins) on your Firefox browser: http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/Designer/cits4pets

cits's gear list:cits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads