EPL-1 needs date set with every battery change

Started Sep 26, 2015 | Discussions
SRT201
SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
EPL-1 needs date set with every battery change

Just changed the battery on my daughters EPL-1 and realized that it needed the date set again even though the swap took just a few seconds.  Yes, the date was set correctly before the battery swap.

Anybody else had their PEN lose it's ability to keep the date across battery changes?

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Art_P
Art_P Forum Pro • Posts: 10,093
Internal battery failure

There's usually a small battery or capacitor that holds enough charge to maintain settings while swapping or charging the main battery... but they do sometimes fail.  But there's more to worry about than the time/date.  There's a chance it could leak, which will damage circuit boards

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
SRT201
OP SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
Re: Internal battery failure

I assumed there was probably an internal cap that would keep the RTC running during battery changes, but usually they don't use batteries in low-draw devices like this.  It is odd for a cap to fail.  They usually last many years.  Hopefully there is no internal cell that will leak.  Guess I will find out.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,429
Re: EPL-1 needs date set with every battery change

My E-PM1 is showing this same symptom. Olympus website shows $97.85 for the repair.  I don't know that it's worth that much to me any more.

The website shows $159.85 to repair the E-PL1.

George

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +37 more
Simon Cowell Senior Member • Posts: 2,544
Incredible...

So many years after this kind of problem was reported for numerous C-5050s, Olympus seems to have the same issue with the E-PL1.

My solution at the time was this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/14546920

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 27,713
Re: Incredible...

Simon Cowell wrote:

So many years after this kind of problem was reported for numerous C-5050s, Olympus seems to have the same issue with the E-PL1.

However, your solution to use an external battery when changing batteries won't work on the E-PL1, since it has no support for external batteries.

AFAIK, only the E-M5, E-M1I, and E-M5 II have support for external power. However, in order to use external power, you have to mount the appropriate grip (HLD-6/HLD-7/HLD-8) and plug in the AC-3 power adapter. However, if you put the grip on the camera, you won't be able to take out the battery.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +13 more
Art_P
Art_P Forum Pro • Posts: 10,093
I suppose...

one could wire up a plug to the battery contacts, then hook this up to a secondary battery while the main one is swapped out.  Maybe only a single AA would be enough to maintain the clock for the time it takes to swap the battery?  (But get the polarity right or it could be disastrous!)

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,429

Hello Michael,

The OMD E-M1 will also take external power with the grip connected.  But, jast as you have pointed out for the other cameras, when the grip in in place, the battery cannot be changed.

George

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +37 more
Ron Zamir Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
Re: EPL-1 needs date set with every battery change

I am having the same problem with my E-PL1 and 2 sets of batteries - sometimes it annoy me and sometimes I just accept it/

It seems like a problem without a solution - fixing it by Olympus is way too expensive.

Ron Zamir's gear list:Ron Zamir's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-PL8
Michael Meissner
Re: I suppose...

Art_P wrote:

one could wire up a plug to the battery contacts, then hook this up to a secondary battery while the main one is swapped out. Maybe only a single AA would be enough to maintain the clock for the time it takes to swap the battery? (But get the polarity right or it could be disastrous!)

The problem is if the cap holds no charge, any momentary interruption of power will reset the clock, and presumably any defaults. With the old C-* cameras, you could hook up the external battery before taking out the internal battery.

Now, that we are discussing it, I really should check to see if the caps are still working for the C-2100UZ (bought in April 2002) and E-1 (bought in December 2004).

The battery pack I used to use on the C-2100UZ  gave up the ghost a few years ago.

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +13 more
Michael Meissner

Geo Wharton wrote:

Hello Michael,

The OMD E-M1 will also take external power with the grip connected. But, jast as you have pointed out for the other cameras, when the grip in in place, the battery cannot be changed.

And given the AC-3 is $80, it may not be worth it.

Simon Cowell Senior Member • Posts: 2,544

Of course, you're absolutely correct Michael - I meant that was a solution for the C-5050 at the time, too bad the E-PL1 does not have DC input.

Now, I remember someone on dpreview claiming he managed to charge the E-PL1 via the USB port (connected to a PC with additional software). If that's true, it may be a solution for keeping the settings whilst replacing the battery.

Michael Meissner wrote:

Simon Cowell wrote:

However, your solution to use an external battery when changing batteries won't work on the E-PL1, since it has no support for external batteries.

AFAIK, only the E-M5, E-M1I, and E-M5 II have support for external power. However, in order to use external power, you have to mount the appropriate grip (HLD-6/HLD-7/HLD-8) and plug in the AC-3 power adapter. However, if you put the grip on the camera, you won't be able to take out the battery.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads