Upgrading Canon 5D2 to Sony A7RII?

Started Sep 20, 2015 | Discussions
Johny bravo Junior Member • Posts: 39
Upgrading Canon 5D2 to Sony A7RII?

So I`m a Canon user thinking on upgrading my trusted 5D2 to Sony A7RII, can someone that did this jump give me their thoughts., regarding:

— AF Performance.

— Image quality.

Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,815
Re: Upgrading Canon 5D2 to Sony A7RII?

Johny bravo wrote:

So I`m a Canon user thinking on upgrading my trusted 5D2 to Sony A7RII, can someone that did this jump give me their thoughts., regarding:

— AF Performance.

— Image quality.

Thanks

Mirrorless AF is a bit slowerbut more precise (focusing on chip and no separate AF module).

Mirrorless AF hunt more than a DSLR with long lenses like the BIG white ones (technical issue).

A7RII has a wide dynamical range if going for a more subtle look, easy to post process if looking for more contrast and more saturated colors. Going from lower dynamical range to a more subtle look is not possible as the range between the exposure tresholds are less.

Warning: some time is required to adapt as Sonyland is very different from Canon bastion. 

Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,200

Johny bravo wrote:

— AF Performance.

— Image quality.

Thanks

I had both a 5DII and a 7DII and held off upgrading for quite a while waiting for a 5DIV. I tend to print quite large and really wanted higher resolution and better image quality (especially with shadow recovery). I also was getting tired of lugging a huge heavy backpack of cameras and lenses everywhere I went. My daughter went off to Art school and inherited the 5D2 - so I decided to jump in with an A7R then later an A7RII.

I am shooting everything but action/wildlife with the Sony and really happy with the quality - with the exception that while the FE 55 1.8 and FE 16-35 are awesome, the Zeiss branded FE 24-70 is a disappointment because of very soft and distorted corners. I've even thought of using the Canon 24-70 2.8L Mk 2 with an adapter but the size and weight of that might keep me from hauling it around.

Unfortunately, there is enough lag in the Sony system that I wouldn't try to use it for any action or wildlife - for that reason I kept the 7DII which is fantastic for that - although image quality and limited dynamic range on the 7DII still suffers a bit - which becomes obvious when you are trying to pull up details on a darkly colored bird.

I have the Metabones IV adapter and it works pretty well with many of my Canon Lenses, but with some - like the 100-400 L MkII - its too slow to focus at the long end to be useful for wildlife.

To address some of your specific questions:

Image Quality - better than the Canon with the ability to pull up shadows more and hold up detail. This is however not as dramatic a difference as some make it out to be. There is still enough shadow color noise in lower ISO's to require handling in Lightroom.

AF Performance - the A7RII focuses quickly and accurately in reasonable light with Sony lenses. Somewhat less fast with some adapted Canon Lenses. AF performance is a bit slower in low light situations. One plus is that manual focusing with focus peaking makes the Sony Excel in very difficult lighting where would wouldn't be able to see well at all with the Canon.

What you will notice going from Canon to Sony is speed of operation, here Sony is a little behind Canon. Also there is EVF image lag time and a lack of native long lenses that somewhat cripple the Sony A7RII for sports or wildlife.

One trend I see happening is the shift at Sony is to produce larger aperture lenses, and while these fill a gap the professions request, their larger size offsets the size and weight advantage of the smaller system. I note that the smaller A7R MKI and the FE 35 2.8 is still my favorite walk around rig.

Glenn Barber's gear list:Glenn Barber's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,405

Johny bravo wrote:

— AF Performance.

No worries, as good as on your/my 5D2.  Works for all the EF lenses I have, including those 15+ years old.

— Image quality.

Now that's an open question.  A 42mp sensor would be demanding on lenses.  Today, my first shooting with my EF 16-35/2.8L (version I) oldie, the lens was eaten by the A7R ii with stills.  But the super-35 4K footage was quite beautiful.

Thanks

So, if you want to adapt EF lenses, AF speed should not be a concern.  The image quality depends on the lenses you have.  Next, I will do some shooting with my Leica-M lenses, video and stills.

Suggestion: If you shoot stills, and also video, the A7R ii should be a high value choice. Lenses, lenses, lenses, ...

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a7R II +6 more
///M Contributing Member • Posts: 759
added the A7RmkII

I don't think of the A7RmkII as a replacement to my Canon gear, but a replacement for certain applications, primarily landscape, portrait, street, and video. It has that medium format look in these applications, the DR really makes the IQ stand out above other cameras.

People say the A7RmkII overheats shooting video, well so does the 5DmkII recording internally. So video is a second major function to consider when looking to add the Sony. It does a good job at 4K also. Looking at the Atamos Assassin for the overheating problem.

I will replace my 16-35L, adapt the 85/1.2 (great bokeh), replace the 100 macro with the 90 f/2.8 Sony/Zeiss, and keep using the long lenses on the 7D until I get a 7DmkII for wildlife shooting.

The 5DmkII still works well for events, which makes me the most money in my photography endeavors. I don't plan to use the A7RmkII for events, 42mp is overkill for that work.
--
thank Canon for L and BMW for M

l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093
Re: added the A7RmkII

///M wrote:

I don't think of the A7RmkII as a replacement to my Canon gear, but a replacement for certain applications, primarily landscape, portrait, street, and video. It has that medium format look in these applications, the DR really makes the IQ stand out above other cameras.

Overall, this "Canon defector" is pleased with the a7Rii to augment my Canon 6d (and backup 5d2). I had high expectations, and the a7Rii has met or exceeded them.

There is a learning curve to achieve the same level of competence with focusing and other issues that I had with the 6d and its admittedly primitive AF.

There is additional complexity due to gaining familiarity with a FotodioX adapter and the quirks it has with my Canon EF lenses. I have the Sony FE 28mm f2 and FE 55mm f1.8 native lenses.

I do miss MagicLantern and RAW based Auto-ETTR/blinkies/histogram.

I find myself using the a7Rii when I can work slowly and deliberately. I'll use the 6d at events where there is more action. I anticipate gaining more proficiency with the a7Rii focus capabilities so that it will be my primary camera for pretty much everything, but that may be a while longer.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads