A7RII Review: No overheating problems at all

Started Sep 14, 2015 | Discussions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,930
A7RII Review: No overheating problems at all

Watch this review...

According to his review, he has been using the camera a number of times shooting 4K for 45 minutes to 1 hour without overheating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igcxMfaqoCo&feature=youtu.be

So many anti-Sony especially Canon and Nikon owners are spreading this non-issue especially on the homepage Sony articles so I hope they will learn something new from this review.

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
abortabort Senior Member • Posts: 1,734
Re: A7RII Review: No overheating problems at all

They won't. They read it as 'paid advertisement' unless it is damning, then it is 'unbiased'... Apparently.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Leica M8 Nikon D700 +54 more
EpyonXero Regular Member • Posts: 344

I haven't seen my A7RII overheat yet. I spent a few hours in full sun with 90 degree tropical heat shooting short clips with no problems and I tried making it overheat by letting it record until the time limiter stopped it indoors at room temp.

EpyonXero's gear list:EpyonXero's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,362

Watch this review...

According to his review, he has been using the camera a number of times shooting 4K for 45 minutes to 1 hour without overheating...

So many anti-Sony especially Canon and Nikon owners are spreading this non-issue especially on the homepage Sony articles so I hope they will learn something new from this review.

Yes, it's not your grandpa's camera and many can't handle that fact. If I had poured 10's of thousands into Canikon gear I'd probably be lashing out too watching this revolution. They aren't even happy they can use their current glass on this. Speaking of which, what happens when Canikon really gets serious about EVF/mirrorless and realize existing mounts are obsolete? They will likely explain away and stop development of F and EF mount in favor of whatever new mount they come up with. The only way to stop this train is to develop some kind of partnership with Sony or each other for a new shared mount. It's going to get really ugly and the trolls have only just started.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II
ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

Viva Santo Nino wrote:

Watch this review...

Actually I thought it was Sony that told us to anticipate overheating after 10 to 15 minutes of shooting 4k video.

Great to hear that this is turning out to be less of a problem.

My a6000 overheated the first time I tried to shoot over 10 minutes video.  I have not tried it since updating the firmware.  Perhaps it will be better now.

ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
focuspulling
focuspulling Regular Member • Posts: 347

This is hilarious.

Of course it overheats. Otherwise you wouldn't have to construct this highly motivated, conspiracy theory-laden narrative.

It's a product defect.  I know from experience.

It might not be as bad on the a7S.

There are half a dozen ingredients to contribute to overheating and nobody discusses them.  Typically it's just pointing the camera at a cactus in a pot on a tripod and seeing how long it runs.

That is not a test.

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a7S II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
joema1
joema1 Contributing Member • Posts: 738

focuspulling wrote:

....just pointing the camera at a cactus in a pot on a tripod and seeing how long it runs.

That is not a test.

You are correct, pointing the camera at a cactus is not necessarily a meaningful test reflective of real-world usage of the camera.

As a documentary filmmaker I have now used the A7RII on several different real projects and had no problems with it overheating from 4k video during actual production. One of these was over 95F ambient temps in direct sunlight, all day long.

That said it definitely will overheat if put on a tripod and let run longer in 4k than 30 minutes, provided ambient temps are over about 65F.

So you can find a case where the camera will behave as documented in the recording time chart on page 95 of the owner's manual.

Long-form, locked-down 4k recording IS a valid usage case -- you might wish to shoot an entire stage play or wedding at a wide angle and use the 4k resolution to crop/zoom in post. However it is only one usage case and DSLR-like cameras have never been optimal for this anyway due to the 29 min recording limit. A less-expensive 4k camcorder might be a better tool for this.

I will be working all day tomorrow shooting more 4k material with the A7RII for yet another documentary project. Am I worried the camera will overheat? Not in the slightest. We will be shooting interviews, b-roll, establishing shots, Steadicam, etc. It just doesn't have any thermal problem in those situations.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

focuspulling wrote:

This is hilarious.

Of course it overheats. Otherwise you wouldn't have to construct this highly motivated, conspiracy theory-laden narrative.

It's a product defect. I know from experience.

It might not be as bad on the a7S.

There are half a dozen ingredients to contribute to overheating and nobody discusses them. Typically it's just pointing the camera at a cactus in a pot on a tripod and seeing how long it runs.

That is not a test.

Oddly enough, my experience is totally different. The A7S was criticised by some loud people, but I never saw overheating on mine or my colleagues A7S - ever.

When I bought it, I conducted some tests to see how long battery life was (I often do that with new gear), and I restarted a new recording once the 30min limit was reached. I didn't have time to finish my test at home, so I packed my A7S in a bag, still recording. That if anything should have caused overheating, but it didn't. And last night, I got my new PIX E5. Rigged everything up in my apartment and started recording at 4K. Once again to test battery life and to put a couple of duty cycles to the two new NP F970 batteries I bought for the PIX. The PIX got very hot (as expected) and the NP-F970 lasted way longer than expected, so I had to stop the experiment after two hours of recording. The A7S was not even luke warm.

PVCdroid

Watch this review...

Along with the paint coming off..... Hilarious how they have gone after this camera.

ArtAlt

PVCdroid wrote:

Watch this review...

Along with the paint coming off..... Hilarious how they have gone after this camera.

If people are actually experiencing the over-heating, how can you possibly call it a non-issue?

The first time I hit the 12 minute mark on video with my a6000, it over-heated and I was completely caught off guard did not expect it.  I would have much rather that the forums warn me about this ahead of time so I could take precautions and plan to shoot shorter segments.

So if this is a problem that some A7RII owners are experiencing (BIG IF), then we should hear about it.

Just for fun here's a cool photograph that I shot a few days ago with A7RII.  Somehow the camera managed to NOT over-heat

Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Knuck Regular Member • Posts: 129

ArtAlt wrote:

So if this is a problem that some A7RII owners are experiencing (BIG IF), then we should hear about it.

It is not an "if" but a fact. All A7Rii owners will experience overheating if they record long enough in 4k unless they use an external recorder. How quickly it overheats will depend on environmental conditions. I don't think most users will find it an issue because of the length of the average video clip but this is not an issue that effects some units, it affects all units.

PVCdroid

ArtAlt wrote:

It is not an "if" but a fact. All A7Rii owners will experience overheating if they record long enough in 4k unless they use an external recorder. How quickly it overheats will depend on environmental conditions. I don't think most users will find it an issue because of the length of the average video clip but this is not an issue that effects some units, it affects all units.

That's a fair analysis. I tried to get it to overheat within the 29 minute limit but couldn't. Turning it on immediately after the time limit, I got a warning about twelve minutes later but that was on v1.0 firmware. So an hour long nterview or school play wouldn't be the best matchup for 4k and this camera. With 29 minute limits in place for DSLR style cameras, a camcorder would be better but long length video with continuous 4k video is elaborate at this stage. Also, 4k from full frame compared to smaller sensors takes proportionally more storage space making the format more conducive to smaller segments and editing into a larger body of work.

jaybr Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

"4k from full frame compared to smaller sensors takes proportionally more storage space"

This is NOT true.

4k video recorded from a full frame sensor does not take "proportionally more storage space".

J

jaybr's gear list:jaybr's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
PVCdroid

jaybr wrote:

"4k from full frame compared to smaller sensors takes proportionally more storage space"

This is NOT true.

4k video recorded from a full frame sensor does not take "proportionally more storage space".

J

Hmmm... I could have sworn I read that but enlighten us if you can.

I can't find file size comparison based on sensor size.

PVCdroid

jaybr wrote:

This is NOT true.

J

Here is aa handy video file size calculator. A larger sensor producers proportionately larger files, all else equal.

http://toolstud.io/video/filesize.php?imagewidth=7952&imageheight=5304&framerate=29.97&timeduration=60&timeunit=seconds

focuspulling
focuspulling Regular Member • Posts: 347

PVCdroid wrote:

ArtAlt wrote:

That's a fair analysis. I tried to get it to overheat within the 29 minute limit but couldn't. Turning it on immediately after the time limit, I got a warning about twelve minutes later but that was on v1.0 firmware. So an hour long nterview or school play wouldn't be the best matchup for 4k and this camera. With 29 minute limits in place for DSLR style cameras, a camcorder would be better but long length video with continuous 4k video is elaborate at this stage. Also, 4k from full frame compared to smaller sensors takes proportionally more storage space making the format more conducive to smaller segments and editing into a larger body of work.

This continues to be a common misunderstanding about the product defect; it's not only about the ability to continuously record long segments (really, least about that, especially given the didactic opinions about how it's possible for any "serious professional" to need to record that long). It's mostly about overheating after starting and stopping over a typical working session, shutting down all functionality after as few as 15 minutes. It's almost comical how opinions keep swinging back to this "continuous" benchmark. "Continuous" doesn't matter. It's about how use of this camera model grinds to a halt after a short while, grabbing multiple clips or one long clip.

The a7S II got only marginally better.

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a7S II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
ArtAlt

focuspulling wrote:

This continues to be a common misunderstanding about the product defect; it's not only about the ability to continuously record long segments (really, least about that, especially given the didactic opinions about how it's possible for any "serious professional" to need to record that long). It's mostly about overheating after starting and stopping over a typical working session, shutting down all functionality after as few as 15 minutes. It's almost comical how opinions keep swinging back to this "continuous" benchmark. "Continuous" doesn't matter. It's about how use of this camera model grinds to a halt after a short while, grabbing multiple clips or one long clip.

The a7S II got only marginally better.

I photographed a concert once with my a6000, doing a mix of photography and 4 minute video segments, and got the overheat shutdown after around 30 minutes.  I am not surprised to hear that the larger sensor bodies are subject to this as well.

-- hide signature --
joema1
joema1 Contributing Member • Posts: 738

PVCdroid wrote:

jaybr wrote:

This is NOT true.

J

Here is aa handy video file size calculator. A larger sensor producers proportionately larger files, all else equal.

http://toolstud.io/video/filesize.php?imagewidth=7952&imageheight=5304&framerate=29.97&timeduration=60&timeunit=seconds

"All else being equal" means the total resolution is held equal. I believe the question is whether a *physically* larger 4k sensor produces content requiring more storage space than a physically smaller 4k sensor.

IOW does the 4k video content from a full-frame Sony A7RII take more storage space than the 4k content from a micro-4/3 Panasonic GH4. The full-frame 4k sensor has 3.8x the area of the 4k m-4/3 sensor.

The answer is no -- it is not related to the physical sensor size. Rather the storage requirement is related to the total sensor resolution, encoding, frame rate and bit depth.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

joema1 wrote:

The answer is no -- it is not related to the physical sensor size. Rather the storage requirement is related to the total sensor resolution, encoding, frame rate and bit depth.

That is my impression as well. There might also be a chance the files from a smaller sensor (with everything else being equal) under certain conditions can cause larger files due to a higher noise level if a variable bitrate codec is used. Not stating anything here, just thinking loud.

ArtAlt

Viva Santo Nino wrote:

Watch this review...

How can it be a "non-issue" if some people are actually having the problem?

(BTW I own Nikon and Sony, both, so you need to include "Sony owners" in your statement.)

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads