Nikon 600mm f4 ED IF AiS 'New' design ser #20xxxx

Started Sep 14, 2015 | Questions
G Beckmann New Member • Posts: 24
Nikon 600mm f4 ED IF AiS 'New' design ser #20xxxx

I have a wonderful 600mm f4 ED IF AiS manual focus that I unfortunately only get a chance to use now and then - bought used nearly nine years ago for a trip to Alaska. I keep it in its trunk case and we are a non-smoking family. ( and I also have a modified Teleconverter 1.4 AF I use with it to help me get focus)

I want to have it 'cleaned' - not that there are any significant 'issues' , just that I feel the images can be sharper/clearer - becase I myself just got a new pair of glasses, and I can not believe how clear crisp and sharp the world is with the new lenese as compare to the old pair - so I am assuming that if the 600 f4 was 'cleaned up' the world would look clear crisper and sharper in my photos taken with D3, D800, D300 D2h, and other bodies - I even use an adapter with Nikon J1 mirrorless with great success. And maybe my photos could 'pop"!

I purchased recently Original Nikon Repair manuals for the 600 f4 ED IF AiS early model and 600 f5.6 AiS models; however, I found that the 600 f4 Repair Manual did not include/cover the 'new' design - 1986-1992 becasue the copyright of the manual was 1982! Not an issue I thought when I bought them.

Having received and reviewed the Repair Manuals, I also believe there are enough differences between my lens Ser #2010xx and the manual(s) I have, that I would be ill advised to try a DIY approach to this task without the actual manual ( and maybe not even then since a lot of spanners, etc. seem to be required) - appreciate any suggestions - advice - and shared experience from others on how to proceed ( ora maybe leave well enough alone), or suggest who to have do the service and roughly what it should run.

Contacted Nikon Melville NY; however, they said lens was 'not in their computer' as far as a cleaning.

There is no fungus or physical damage beyond a very very slight surface scratch < 1 cm on front optical surface - there just seems to be what I would describe as internal optical element 'haze' observed when I shine a laser pointer or bright LED pointer from rear and look from front off optical axis center.

Thank you much - I am located upstate NY outside of Albany Capital Region..

First time poster on forum, enjoy reading postings - Thank you...

G Beckmann's gear list:G Beckmann's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D70s Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photonutca New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Nikon 600mm f4 ED IF AiS 'New' design ser #20xxxx

I bought one a year ago, and need to get the sun shade off as it was bent from a drop.  Does it just screw off?  Mine is hard to turn and extend and I am not sure.

Greg

Nikonlinks Contributing Member • Posts: 504

I recently had a 300/2.8AF-D lens repaired by Steve at www.cameraclinicusa.com.  Work was done well, promptly and reasonable price.

-- hide signature --

don
www.donferrario.com

OP G Beckmann New Member • Posts: 24

Thank you for your post on positive experience.

Yes I just confirmed on mine. Rotates counter-clockwise looking INTO lens , seems to turn not even a whole rotation before it disengages.

I remember when I bought mine that I did not realize it had built-in sunshade.

but one day I had it mounted on My Wimberly mount and went to rotate from landscape to portrait by rotating big end rather than camera body, but I had thumb screw a bit tight on ring and it unscrewed.

I also have the HE-5 shade that I use on it.

by the way, I have  two teleconverters the TC-16A  (one I did the modification relocating a pin for D3, and D800 bodies) and unmodified the TC-16A works with my D2h body.

i have a big label on each so I do not mix them - I understand it can (might) damage camera circuitry.

My eyes are not good enough for accurate or quick focus , and my wallet will not support a fully auto-focus big glass

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2526352

have fun,  I do not use mine much; however, when I do I always enjoy results - D800 especially.

Just a FYI, I also mistakenly purchased a C-PL2s on line thinking it was the one for the lens ( the C-PL1s) - only ~$120, and the C-PL1s are much more ,  anyway , I have found the only difference is that the C-PL2s stands a bit proud of lens body when inserted, but sits correctly in optical path.  I have a 3-D printer and just made up a “flange” spacer to take up space and it worked.

Joey Hagedorn New Member • Posts: 5

Happy to hear about more DIY folks using this classic MF telephoto lens!

I’m also in search of a repair manual to assist with cleaning. Additionally I find the front half of lens body rotates a little bit from the back half (perhaps a quarter inch), and I'm hoping the repair manual could help me tighten up whatever needs to be addressed there.

I added a “Dandellion” CPU for better metering and AF Assist, as well as modified the mount on my TC-20E III with good results. The biggest problem I have with the lens is significant chromatic aberration, which I’ve largely corrected by creating a custom lens profile from Adobe Lens Profile Creator in Lightroom. I think my profile could use some improvement though I'm getting better results than manually tweaking the chromatic aberration removal sliders.

More recently I bought an HE-5 hood extension for the lens and was hoping to get your assistance here—the hood I bought is missing two of the plastic tabs used for mounting so it doesn't mount on the lens. It appears the thinner ones from the “knob side” were moved to the far side, and the larger ones are missing. I want to 3D print replacements, but need some closeup photos of these little plastic parts and dimensions so I can accurately model and reproduce them.

Is there any way you could take off one of these tabs, take some photos, measure it with a caliper, and let me know the dimensions? I'm trying to reproduce the part as accurately as possible. It'd also help to have an estimate of the chamfer radius, and to know if the holes are orthogonal to the outer curved surface or the flat inner surface.

I plan on sharing the 3D models with the community here on Shapeways if anyone else needs these parts in the future.

I'll keep you posted if any of my efforts to get a repair manual pan out.

Thanks,

—Joey

Dimension "g" is not strictly required. Might also be good to get a height along the center, because I figure B will be difficult to measure with a caliper.

The tabs on this HE-5 hood appear swapped from position B to position A, and the original larger ones from position A are missing.

RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 352

Hi,

I had a 600mm f5.6 AI?, a 300mm f2.8 AF, and a 600mmf4 AIs? S/N:178740 cleaned and regreased at Phototech in NYC:

360 West 36th Street

New York NY 10018

phototech.com

212-673-8400

The 5.6 had a loose objective housing that would rotate about 20 degrees each way.  They fixed that, nice and tight, and light for a 600mm.

When I got all of them back it looked like the glass inside was missing they were so clean!

If you try to do the online estimator, your lens isn't in the listing and they may tell you it's too old for them to work on. I dropped it off at the counter on 36th St and 9th Ave.  It goes to NJ to their work facility and I got them back within a week.  They give you a caveat that they probably can't get out of production parts.

There is a $25 estimate fee which is deducted from final work.  The 600f4 was $165 total.

The 300 2.8 was going to be like $225 but ended up at about 190 because they said there were a few fungus spots that couldn't be cleaned between some of the front elements. I'll let direct sun bake it for 10 or 15 minutes to kill it w UV so it doesn't spread, I can't see it really.

I am afraid to try any disassembly.  I only have the built in hoods for my lenses, not the additionals.  I also need to learn more technique but I love these things.  One day a 800mmf5.6, ... and I'll take it to Phototech.

vsk

RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +21 more

RealVSK wrote:

Hi,

I had a 600mm f5.6 AI?, a 300mm f2.8 AF, and a 600mmf4 AIs? S/N:178740 cleaned and regreased at Phototech in NYC:

360 West 36th Street

New York NY 10018

phototech.com

212-673-8400

The 5.6 had a loose objective housing that would rotate about 20 degrees each way. They fixed that, nice and tight, and light for a 600mm.

When I got all of them back it looked like the glass inside was missing they were so clean!

If you try to do the online estimator, your lens isn't in the listing and they may tell you it's too old for them to work on. I dropped it off at the counter on 36th St and 9th Ave. It goes to NJ to their work facility and I got them back within a week. They give you a caveat that they probably can't get out of production parts.

There is a $25 estimate fee which is deducted from final work. The 600f4 was $165 total.

The 300 2.8 was going to be like $225 but ended up at about 190 because they said there were a few fungus spots that couldn't be cleaned between some of the front elements. I'll let direct sun bake it for 10 or 15 minutes to kill it w UV so it doesn't spread, I can't see it really.

I am afraid to try any disassembly. I only have the built in hoods for my lenses, not the additionals. I also need to learn more technique but I love these things. One day a 800mmf5.6, ... and I'll take it to Phototech.

vsk

Thank you very much for the reply. Will get it off to them soon.

I have ave to remember to expose to sunlight.

I seem to to remember reading somewhere where a UV light for curing fingernails was modified via a 3-D printed CAD design to fit onto front of lens and providing UV.

Thank you very much Don.

Hello Joey.

I store the 600 f4 at another location; however, I will try to get to manual and search for ideas to address looseness and I do have the attachable extension hood.

By by the way I also have original service manual for 60 f5.6 .

I will I’ll be happy to take photos and make measurements. I have been trying to learn CAD 3D using an iPad app, my son says Fuision 3D is better.

I have large digital calipers to make ID radius of curvature measurements. As well as making detailed measurements you need . For 3D printing  .

I have not added the chip , but I did years ago buy a damaged f4 lens with a cpu  and read it can be added  - I end up just bracketing many of my shots at high frame rate .

will stay in touch

I go out of the country Tuesday for two weeks  so if I can not get back to you next few days it will have to be when I return

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

I had the exact same problem when I got my lens years ago.

I finally just just wrapped it with a towel and held it between my legs while sitting and carefully applied an even and increasing twist force until it just came free.

Not sure given your dent. Was thinking Maybe putting a football bladder inside sin out hood once you get it loose so it can be inflated to get it round uniformly with air pressure ???

Thank you so much for your help with the measurements and photos! I am excited to be able to restore this rare hood to working condition, and keep one more piece of vintage hardware out of the dustbin.

I use Fusion 360 and find it works reasonably well—but It took me a couple of hours to remember out how to draw up that part. It's a bit tricky to use, but lots of tutorials and documentation online have allowed me to achieve good results on other projects.

I think I've also made some good progress on identifying a source for the replacement screws, I'll focus on that in the mean time.

Thanks again!

I may have screws from the several junk lenses I have obtained/created over the years

I managed to find exactly the right screws from a manufacturer (Saima Corp) in Japan. I ordered about 996 more than I needed, so perhaps I'll try to sell some on eBay—but I've got plenty in case anybody around here needs a couple of M2x5.0 JCIS Trilobular Type-B thread forming thread, Type 1 head shape (flat, countersunk) black color screws…

Just hoping to get some measurements now so I can 3D print those tabs!

The new ones are almost identical, except for being about 0.5mm shorter than the originals, which should not be a problem.

Certainly more than I need…

Just to followup, I eventually was able to make replacement tabs and have restored my HE-5 to working condition! I've documented the complete process on my blog.

Gosh I really dropped the ball, I am very sorry.

Very much enjoyed your blog post.

Also in addition to my Nikon soft lens hood, I use a plastic paint can to that I bought at my local hardware store that fits absolutely perfectly on my 600.

It protects it quite well, and cost ~$1.19.

Oh, no problem whatsoever! I am really glad it was an interesting read, and hope that if anyone else ever has an HE-5 that is missing these plastic parts there's now an option to just click "print".

wintersthrall New Member • Posts: 4

Photonutca wrote:

I bought one a year ago, and need to get the sun shade off as it was bent from a drop. Does it just screw off? Mine is hard to turn and extend and I am not sure.

Greg

I got the 300mm f/2.8 ai-s which had a similar problem. The hood is not removable. It's made of metal (steel I think). So I just bent it into conformity with a mole grip, protecting the paint by placing some folded paper tissue between the grip's teeth and the hood, both sides. Now it's as good as new.

wintersthrall's gear list:wintersthrall's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604

This is a 5 year old thread - though I think the basics remain the same.

G Beckmann wrote:

I myself just got a new pair of glasses, and I can not believe how clear crisp and sharp the world is with the new lenses as compare to the old pair

Most peoples eyesight changes over time - and our brain "adjusts" to less eye resolving power.

After eye operations at age 14 I was told (wrongly) I would not need an eye test for the rest of my life.

When I started at University just 4 years later I had to move to the front row - to decipher writing on the blackboard.

In the UK eye tests are recommended every 2 years - with 1 important at age 50 as everybody's eyesight changes around 48 - 49, and 1 a year after age 60.

- so I am assuming that if the 600 f4 was 'cleaned up' the world would look clear crisper and sharper in my photos taken with D3, D800, D300 D2h, and other bodies

Unlike human eyesight your lens optics will not have changed over 9 (now 14) years.

A service after 9-14 years should do no harm - but if parts are needed on an old lens they may no longer be easily obtainable.

A current 600 FL will perform better - but not much change out of $10,000 even after a part exchange.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads