Shadow recovery... ISO100 pushed to 6400

Started Sep 13, 2015 | Discussions
geoffcbassett Forum Member • Posts: 71
Shadow recovery... ISO100 pushed to 6400

Crap I messed up the shot...or not.

HOLY CRAP. Also loving the 50-150mm

Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Samsung NX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tonyreidsma Contributing Member • Posts: 976
Re: Shadow recovery... ISO100 pushed to 6400

That is impressive!

tonyreidsma's gear list:tonyreidsma's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II +26 more
Krazyheaven Regular Member • Posts: 409

So wait we can push iso after the shot?

OP geoffcbassett Forum Member • Posts: 71

Pretty much yes, I did a properly exposed shot immediately after at 6400 and the detail is almost the same, very slight edge to shooting 6400 native.

captnj2 Forum Member • Posts: 86

IS that from a RAW file? or a Jpeg?

RAW, pushed in Adobe Lightroom

ChuckTa Senior Member • Posts: 1,343

captnj2 wrote:

Only possible with raw.

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Samsung NX300 Sony Alpha a7 Samsung NX mini +8 more
Jeff Style Regular Member • Posts: 468

WOW!!!

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
kryten61 Regular Member • Posts: 289

captnj2 wrote:

Impossible from Jpeg,  The error is then baked in!  Like burning a cake and trying to unburn it!

One day people will understand the evil that is Jpeg versus keeping you negs. (Raw)

kryten61's gear list:kryten61's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Samsung NX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
Krazyheaven Regular Member • Posts: 409

Oh I shoot raw + jpeg. I'm still learning how to do my post edits.

markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,429

Very impressive but realistically you would know when shooting that it would be that badly underexposed, unless using framing mode.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +13 more

Krazyheaven wrote:

Oh I shoot raw + jpeg. I'm still learning how to do my post edits.

Good option, but for me it's only raw, On some cameras Raw Jpeg can cause slow downs and overhead in speed, I would never look at the Jpegs and only create them if I am sharing.

I've contemplated dabbling with raw but personally I can't be bothered messing about in post processing. I'd rather just try to get the shot right first time - by having this philosophy I think that my technique is improving because I'm not allowing myself to make errors.
I can understand how raw is useful for some, but actually the quality of the output is no different if you get it right first time.

Adding to this, some shots that I haven't got right I've still been able to improve in post processing. Maybe the result would have been better if I'd shot in raw but I'm still happy with it.

Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +13 more
AxelHawk Regular Member • Posts: 211

markyboy81 wrote:

I've contemplated dabbling with raw but personally I can't be bothered messing about in post processing. I'd rather just try to get the shot right first time - by having this philosophy I think that my technique is improving because I'm not allowing myself to make errors.
I can understand how raw is useful for some, but actually the quality of the output is no different if you get it right first time.

Adding to this, some shots that I haven't got right I've still been able to improve in post processing. Maybe the result would have been better if I'd shot in raw but I'm still happy with it.

To me, there are 2 main reasons of why I stick to raw, even trying to get the right photo first:

1. Samsung noise reduction smears out high ISO images. Lightroom is better and give me the option of how much NR I want (even the lower adjustment in camera is too much to me)

2. The amount of dynamic range you have in raw is impressive, even on an older sensor like my NX300. Even in a nice exposed photo, you have shadow details that can be lost in jpg and recovered in raw.

And, if I screw something, sometimes the image can be saved too

AxelHawk's gear list:AxelHawk's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 +1 more

This was during a video/photo shoot,  as I brought the camera to my eye I accidentally turned off auto ISO.

Accidents like that happen, and its great to know I'll be able to recover a missed shot with this camera.

Re: Other photos from that day

Few more from the day, all but the first taken with the NX1 and 50-150.

http://geoffcbassett.zenfolio.com/dianalawrenceattheloft

markyboy81 wrote:

Sorry but this is not correct. Factually someone who knows good Raw workflow can FAR improve an image with access to all the RAW data that is generated from the sensor.

All camera's make decisions for you in creating Jpegs that are destructive and throw away detail.

Watch Guy Gowan, He teaches photographers how to work with Raw workflow correctly.

https://youtu.be/i3-tXPi6d6Q

Can't do this with Jpeg cause the information is not there.

Shooting raw and manipulating an image to a final good result is FASTER and easier than trying to attempt to do any manipulation with a Jpeg image.

markyboy81 wrote:

Sorry but this is not correct. Factually someone who knows good Raw workflow can FAR improve an image with access to all the RAW data that is generated from the sensor.

All camera's make decisions for you in creating Jpegs that are destructive and throw away detail.

Watch Guy Gowan, He teaches photographers how to work with Raw workflow correctly.

https://youtu.be/i3-tXPi6d6Q

Can't do this with Jpeg cause the information is not there.

Shooting raw and manipulating an image to a final good result is FASTER and easier than trying to attempt to do any manipulation with a Jpeg image.

Fair enough, I probably need to do a bit more research into it.
But at the moment I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting. I don't think as an amateur I can improve the way the jpeg engine inside the camera manipulates the image. Someone with more skill could certainly do this though.

andre95 Forum Member • Posts: 54

markyboy81 wrote:

But at the moment I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting. I don't think as an amateur I can improve the way the jpeg engine inside the camera manipulates the image. Someone with more skill could certainly do this though.

Sorry, it is really getting a bit off-topic here, but I can tell you that you don't have to be a pro for this. I recently changed from JPEG only to RAW+JPEG. Yes, developing an image from RAW is time consuming, but also can be rewarding. A lot of shots which I would have thrown away before now actually make a nice picture. Simply being able to change the White Balance later on turned out to be marvellous more than once.

But I have to say, I develop my images from RAW *to my liking* and not necessarily to how the scene really looked like. Because for me pictures are more like "art pictures" which I enjoy to look at, not documentary proof of the reality.

And I have to say, because I often shoot either my children, or with my children, I'm often very limited in being able to fine-tune the shot. Either I don't have the time, or I just can't easily change the position, etc. So I have a lot of shots which are technically not perfect, because the situation just didn't allow for it.

Andre

andre95's gear list:andre95's gear list
Samsung NX100 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Sports Dad Regular Member • Posts: 320
Great example of what can be done

There are times when shadows are very dark and this shows what we can pull from them to improve pictures.   I like to slightly under expose images and fix them in post later too.

Sports Dad's gear list:Sports Dad's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads