5DSuper

Started Sep 13, 2015 | User reviews
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,772
5DSuper

After seven years I decided to upgrade my Canon 5DMKII full-frame camera. At first I considered the A7RII but decided with the 5DS since I can utilize my L lenses to their full AF capabilities vs. using adaptors. I've done a few shoots already with the new camera and I'm very impressed by its image quality and cropping power.

The AF performance is awesome----not only it was able to track tennis players seamlessly but it did an excellent job in focusing on the subject in severely backlit situations for photoshoots. I would have given an 'Excellent' rating for sports but 5 fps is not enough for tennis.

There were a couple of challenges I had with this camera. When I first got it I tried to be conservative and at least double the handholding rule. However, I found that it was not necessary with my IS lenses: 24-105/4 L IS and the new 16-35/4 L IS. With non-IS I went back to the handholding rule or close to it like setting the minimum shutter speed to 1/125 sec. for my 85LII. I didn't notice any handholding blur but then again I was shooting close to wide open and in some situations I used fill-in flash.

Another thing is for the past year or so I was using Sony APS-C mirrorless cameras. So I had to re-orient myself with FF DOF. Also, I changed my shooting technique. Before for full body shots I normally focus on the subject's bellybutton area. However, with the 5DS I focused on the subject's nose. I had to do this because since it's a high rez camera, just in case I want to crop I can still get the facial features in focus.

My PC is approximately three years old with 24GB of RAM so processing these huge files are not a problem. I use CS6. Plus storage these days are cheap.

The image quality of the 5DS by in large differs from my 1DMKIII. The latter is silky smooth while the former is more film-like. As for high ISO performance I actually find it great as it gives me a couple of options: shoot with no NR and then clean it up with Nik Dfine 2.0. Since the noise is kinda film like, it is easy to clean it without sacrifycing details. Another option that I like too is to downsize at 39MP and apply in-camera NR.

Dynamic range is talked about a lot here on DPR. I think the DR is greatly improved from my 5DMKII in particular the shadows/blacks. My 5DMKII is a bit allergic to black clothing LOL whereas I don't have such issue with the 5DS. Bear in mind that I shoot mostly portraits thus seldom ever need to lift the shadows by three or more stops. The metering is pretty good but just in case it 'gets fooled' ie. subject is by the lake or shooting above towards the sky, I just bracket which is in one of my C1-C3 settings.

I shoot mostly in Jpeg Portrait setting. I've always love the skin tones from my Canons and I like the finished product from the jpeg files. I've shot RAW + jpeg before but 95% of the time I end up with the jpeg file anyway so I just shoot with jpeg most of the time.

If I am nitpicking the cons here it is the battery (I have two with the vertical grip) as it never reads 100% at full-charge---always 99%.

Overall, I am very ecstatic about this camera: the IQ is superb, lots of cropping power and great AF performance.

Here are some images from my 5DS with various lenses.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
Canon EOS 5DS
51 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Feb 6, 2015
José B's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS-1D Nikon Df Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeffrey Behr
Jeffrey Behr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,793
'5DSuper'--I love it; TYVM, and I too love my 5DS.

I have the F4-Ls in 16-35 and 24-70 plus the excellent 17TSE and 70-300L. The latter is far better than I thought it would be.

Mystery Acres

Amateur fotografer getting more active again and loving it.http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/

Jeffrey Behr's gear list:Jeffrey Behr's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 Fujifilm GF 45-100mm F4 +2 more
José B
OP José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,772
Re: '5DSuper'--I love it; TYVM, and I too love my 5DS.

Jeffrey Behr wrote:

I have the F4-Ls in 16-35 and 24-70 plus the excellent 17TSE and 70-300L. The latter is far better than I thought it would be.

Amateur fotografer getting more active again and loving it.http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/

Very sharp images there Jeffrey, glad you are enjoying your 5DS! Yes, the L zooms rock with the camera too.

Cheers,

José

Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
arcman67 Regular Member • Posts: 212

I'm glad to hear everyone likes the 5ds. I'm still on the fence about an A7Rii actually to use as my 5dii as a main camera until a 5dIV comes out. I have a lot of Minolta Maxxum lenses (from my film system) that I would like to utilize for pleasure, street photography shooting.  For the bulk of my pro work (Architecture, commercial), the 5dii has been great. I rented a 5ds for a Architectural client that wanted over 40 MP images (I would rent the Pentax mf system before) and was very happy. However, after using Magic Lantern with auto focus peaking and magnification on my 5dii, I really missed those features on the 5ds when focusing the 17mm T/S. After using the ML, maggnifying the live view seemed much more cumbersome.  I know I could have used my camranger as well with iPad. BTW, I love those features as well with the original A7R EVF. Especially outdoor manual focus.

Of course I'm concerned about A7Rii durability, sealing, battery life, repair-service....which is top notch with the canon. Th compressed raw thing does not bother me as much

I'm buying two bodies over the next 10 months for our business. One will be a 5ds or A7Rii and the other will be the 1dx or 5dIV when and if they arrive.

José B
OP José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,772

arcman67 wrote:

I'm glad to hear everyone likes the 5ds. I'm still on the fence about an A7Rii actually to use as my 5dii as a main camera until a 5dIV comes out. I have a lot of Minolta Maxxum lenses (from my film system) that I would like to utilize for pleasure, street photography shooting. For the bulk of my pro work (Architecture, commercial), the 5dii has been great. I rented a 5ds for a Architectural client that wanted over 40 MP images (I would rent the Pentax mf system before) and was very happy. However, after using Magic Lantern with auto focus peaking and magnification on my 5dii, I really missed those features on the 5ds when focusing the 17mm T/S. After using the ML, maggnifying the live view seemed much more cumbersome. I know I could have used my camranger as well with iPad. BTW, I love those features as well with the original A7R EVF. Especially outdoor manual focus.

Of course I'm concerned about A7Rii durability, sealing, battery life, repair-service....which is top notch with the canon. Th compressed raw thing does not bother me as much

I'm buying two bodies over the next 10 months for our business. One will be a 5ds or A7Rii and the other will be the 1dx or 5dIV when and if they arrive.

Thanks for your comments.

IMHO, going native (emount) lenses is the way to go with A7RII unless of course you like to use MF/focus peaking. I have the outstanding Sonnar 1.8/55 lens which is my fave when I use for the A6000 and the images are awesome with it----sharp even at f/1.8!

Best regards,

José

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads