Silent Shutter Em-10 Mk II?

Started Sep 12, 2015 | Discussions
Matt Miller Regular Member • Posts: 185
Silent Shutter Em-10 Mk II?

Is there one? I have the camera, I can't find it. I've read half a dozen reviews talking about it. Make me look like an idiot and tell me how to access it.

Note, not turning off the beep, but the using the shutter electronically so its soundless when a picture is taken.

Thanks

Looking forward to looking like an idiot.

Matt

Matt Miller's gear list:Matt Miller's gear list
Nikon D200 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M10
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,806
Re: Silent Shutter Em-10 Mk II?

Press Ok to go to the SCP (Super Control Panel)

Move cursor to the shutter option then choose the one with the Heart next to it

Voila

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 7,380

dv312 wrote:

Press Ok to go to the SCP (Super Control Panel)

Move cursor to the shutter option then choose the one with the Heart next to it

Voila

Cheers,

Though you might also need to turn the feature on first (just once), as with the EFCS mode (diamond prefix) before it appears in the choices.

Initial activation lives in Shooting Menu 2 (second tab down, with camera icon and 2). Go to Shooting Menu 2.  Go to the Anti-Shock/Silent entry and go into it (right), selecting Silent. Then go into that, and make sure that Off is NOT selected - instead go to the entry below for Silent, which also shows a timing. Unless you want a delay between pressing the shutter release and firing, set this to 0 sec and make sure you exit with OK, not Menu, which is a sort of "cancel and back out" button at this point. Once you have done this once, it makes sure that the option to have Silent Shooting is available (all these instructions also refer to enabling EFCS too, which is the Anti-Shock 0 sec setting, and it is the nearest neighbour in this part of the menu. EFCS shows a diamond prefix, Silent shows a heart. I can't see any point to leaving these un-enabled, unless you really want a very short set of options for the Drive Mode, coupled with the inability to use these two useful features easily).

Once you've set up these modes like this, they will appear in the the list of drive modes, however you access it (I have it on the down arrow of the multi controller, even quicker at times than the SCP).

igelfeld Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

Does it mean you can either have anti-shock (0 sec) or silent but not both?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Igelfeld

igelfeld's gear list:igelfeld's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Helen

igelfeld wrote:

Does it mean you can either have anti-shock (0 sec) or silent but not both?

You can have both, though you only pick one to use at a time, of course (i.e. you have the choice of normal, full mechanical OR anti-shock 0 (which is Electronic Front Curtain Shutter mode), OR silent shutter).  All three options can appear in the list for you to choose from (or you can limit the list if you want to, by not doing the initial turn-on of the EFCS or Silent Shutter features in the Setup 2 tab of the menu.  As far as I recall, you don't get a continuous high drive mode option for EFCS because it's not compatible with it, and (for example) in-camera HDR mode forces the drive mode to conventional mechanical high continuous (it goes back to whatever you had set to use once you exit HDR mode).

You can also vary the timing between pressing the shutter release and the exposure being taken on the Anti-Shock (diamond) and Silent (heart) modes.  Just bear in mind that Anti-Shock ONLY operates as EFCS on the 0-second setting, which is what that setting is for.  All the rest are conventional full mechanical, with a delay of your choosing.  Silent shutter is always silent shutter, with a delay of your choosing.  (Example of use, though this is for an E-M5 Mark II-specific feature: using that camera's high-resolution mode, which takes 8 shots with half-pixel movement between exposures, to composite them into a 40MP high-res shot, I found adding a delay to silent shutter handy.  Silent shutter with continuous high advance is the default for this mode because it must not have any camera movement - it's done on a tripod - so I release the shutter using the touchscreen and the extra delay makes sure that touching the screen didn't transfer a wobble to the camera whilst shooting).

Anyway, so on both the E-M10 Mark II and the E-M5 Mark II, you pick the shutter operation mode you want, and use that till you (or the camera, temporarily according to what other special mode you're using) changes it.  Normal, EFCS (Anti-Shock 0) which stops the first shutter curtain running and causing any vibration, or silent (which doesn't run either shutter curtain and so also has no vibration and also no operating sound).  EFCS runs up to 1/320, and speeds faster revert to normal mechanical.  It has no particular downsides to using it.  Silent runs all the way up to 1/16000, meaning it has faster top shutter speeds than the other two shutter modes (which go to 1/4000 on the E-M10 II, 1/8000 on the E-M5 II), but it has downsides too - no compatibility with flash [except in the E-M5 II's High Res mode], and a slower scan speed, which means you can get shadowy horizontal bands in shots taken under some artificial light at certain shutter speeds, and the potential to skew or bend objects which are moving fast, or skew objects if YOU (and the camera) are moving fast.

Hope that helps, sorry if I said anything you already knew.

OP Matt Miller Regular Member • Posts: 185

Thanks

Where in the manual does it explain this? I couldn't find it.

Matt

Matt Miller's gear list:Matt Miller's gear list
Nikon D200 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M10
igelfeld Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

Thanks, Helen! Great explanation.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Igelfeld

igelfeld's gear list:igelfeld's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
edspen Regular Member • Posts: 251

Flash with EM5II hi-res mode ? I thought the hi-res was a series of shots with pixel shift. How can a flash sync with the pixel shifting software ?

Helen

edspen wrote:

Flash with EM5II hi-res mode ? I thought the hi-res was a series of shots with pixel shift. How can a flash sync with the pixel shifting software ?

The hi-res sequence firing goes much slower with flash (to give it time to recharge) but as the camera's on a tripod and the subject is stationary, it still works (though it takes a bit of trial and error to get the exposure ideal when it's combining eight flash exposures!).

Helen

Matt Miller wrote:

Thanks

Matt

Page 58 and page 94 (for the E-M10 II).  It's pretty much lifted from the E-M5 II manual, and like that, it seems to manage to explain it in a pretty unclear way that makes you think you can only access these shutter modes for self-timer and continuous shooting.  Luckily, that's not the case and you can use them for normal, single shot drive mode too.

edspen Regular Member • Posts: 251

knowing the recharge times of some flashes, that could be a long exposure. I got really excited about the 40mp samples. Then, pop went the bubble, when I found out about the auto-stack or what ever the call hi-res capture. It looks great for stills (priced very well), I'm wondering whats the shortest exposure time usable in hi-res mode?

Helen

edspen wrote:

knowing the recharge times of some flashes, that could be a long exposure. I got really excited about the 40mp samples. Then, pop went the bubble, when I found out about the auto-stack or what ever the call hi-res capture. It looks great for stills (priced very well), I'm wondering whats the shortest exposure time usable in hi-res mode?

Yes, it would be a long total exposure using a slow-recharging flash. Each exposure of the eight is an individual one, of course. With a dedicated flash like the FL-LM3 supplied with the E-M5 II, flash mode is forced to manual rather than TTL, hence the trial and error required to find the best setting (but at least Olympus cameras are able to let you easily set the power ratio from a good number of choices). For a flash exposure, the fastest shutter speed is 1/20 (because it's the slow scanning silent shutter that is being used). For available light, right up to 1/16000 (not that it freezes any motion between the exposures of course, so subject AND camera really need to be still). The smallest aperture the mode allows is f8 (don't exactly know why - maybe diffraction is a problem with these tiny half-pixel incremental movements. The IBIS is disabled because it's being used to generate those movements, though it still is able to provide a warning of camera movement.

Apologies to those interested in the E-M10 II as this is a bit off-topic for that model - though it of course has its own unique feature for the range - the E-M10 II's focus bracketing sounds really interesting and useful.

Kalamgish New Member • Posts: 1

Hi, I'm not sure if it is just me but when on silent option the M10 mk2 does make a slight noise albeit less than if the option is off. I also have access to an M1 mk1 and when the same option is selected the shutter is totally silent.

Is this normal for the M10 mk2

Helen

Kalamgish wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure if it is just me but when on silent option the M10 mk2 does make a slight noise albeit less than if the option is off. I also have access to an M1 mk1 and when the same option is selected the shutter is totally silent.

Is this normal for the M10 mk2

Usually, any sound that you hear in silent mode will be generated by the aperture mechanism of the lens, and this can vary between lenses.  Also, with the same lens, you will hear it if the aperture is set to anything but the maximum, as the blades snap to the selected value.  Tomorrow when I can grab the camera, I'll make sure I don't hear anything else, but I don't remember doing so.

BonnieJeanM New Member • Posts: 1

Helen wrote:

Matt Miller wrote:

Thanks

Matt

Page 58 and page 94 (for the E-M10 II). It's pretty much lifted from the E-M5 II manual, and like that, it seems to manage to explain it in a pretty unclear way that makes you think you can only access these shutter modes for self-timer and continuous shooting. Luckily, that's not the case and you can use them for normal, single shot drive mode too.

Some people must have gotten a different manual than we did. Ours only has 91 pages total, and that includes each language with the same information in English (p 2 - 31), French (p 32 - 61), Spanish (p 62 - 90).

Helen

BonnieJeanM wrote:

Helen wrote:

Matt Miller wrote:

Thanks

Matt

Page 58 and page 94 (for the E-M10 II). It's pretty much lifted from the E-M5 II manual, and like that, it seems to manage to explain it in a pretty unclear way that makes you think you can only access these shutter modes for self-timer and continuous shooting. Luckily, that's not the case and you can use them for normal, single shot drive mode too.

Some people must have gotten a different manual than we did. Ours only has 91 pages total, and that includes each language with the same information in English (p 2 - 31), French (p 32 - 61), Spanish (p 62 - 90).

Yes, I got the repetitive multi-language basic manual too (printed, in the box).  I was referring to the full manual, which is available either as a pdf on a CD in the box (I forget if there was one without digging up the box for a look - these things are tending to die out nowadays) or you can find it in the support section of most of the Olympus websites around the world.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads