New MFT lens 15mm f1.7

Started Sep 11, 2015 | Discussions
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,885
New MFT lens 15mm f1.7

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186080-REG/dji__mft_15mm_f1_1_7_prime.html

Looks to me like a re-badged Lumix 15mm f1.7

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 1.4x Teleconverter +1 more
Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LMNCT Veteran Member • Posts: 4,908
Re: New MFT lens 15mm f1.7

If it is a rebadged Panasonic 15 f 1.7, then they have managed to remove the f stop ring.  Nope, this is something else.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +23 more
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,339

DPR's home page reveals all, here's the direct link to the article:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4506017808/to-the-skies-dji-launches-zenmuse-x5-and-x5r-4k-micro-four-thirds-aerial-cameras

A new MFT player!

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +25 more
Frasier Krane Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Wacky...

dv312 wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186080-REG/dji__mft_15mm_f1_1_7_prime.html

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

Why would anyone buy a DJI branded lens at $600 when a Leica branded lens which is known to be one of the best MFT performers (easily a top 7 lens) costs the same or less?

Even if this were a re-badged Panasonic lens, why would anyone buy it with the DJI branding at the same price? It doesn't look like the Panasonic lens to me, but, even if it were, there would have to be some heavy discounting involved to get me (or anyone with a fully functioning cerebral cortex) to buy it.

The fact is, given the performance of the Panasonic lens, it's almost guaranteed that this lens will not exceed it. There's really no room for improvement.

And who or what is DJI anyway? Do they have any pedigree in lens design? These are the same guys that make drones, right?

Just completely wacky all around. But I bet there are plenty of people stupid enough to look at this. Quality isn't what sells, unfortunately, but marketing.

Bhima78 Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
It is exactly the PL15mm just with DJI window dressing.

Frasier Krane wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

Why would anyone buy a DJI branded lens at $600 when a Leica branded lens which is known to be one of the best MFT performers (easily a top 7 lens) costs the same or less?

Even if this were a re-badged Panasonic lens, why would anyone buy it with the DJI branding at the same price? It doesn't look like the Panasonic lens to me, but, even if it were, there would have to be some heavy discounting involved to get me (or anyone with a fully functioning cerebral cortex) to buy it.

The fact is, given the performance of the Panasonic lens, it's almost guaranteed that this lens will not exceed it. There's really no room for improvement.

And who or what is DJI anyway? Do they have any pedigree in lens design? These are the same guys that make drones, right?

Just completely wacky all around. But I bet there are plenty of people stupid enough to look at this. Quality isn't what sells, unfortunately, but marketing.

This is the exact same lens, literally just a rebadge. Of course, I have no idea who would actually spend $600 for DJI window dressing vs. Leica/Panasonic window dressing that can be found for $450 (when purchasing direct from Japan).

Bhima78's gear list:Bhima78's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +12 more
uRebel Rob Senior Member • Posts: 1,537
Re: It is exactly the PL15mm just with DJI window dressing.

Bhima78 wrote:

Frasier Krane wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

This is the exact same lens, literally just a rebadge. Of course, I have no idea who would actually spend $600 for DJI window dressing vs. Leica/Panasonic window dressing that can be found for $450 (when purchasing direct from Japan).

Yeah, only minus the "decorative ring" that covers the hood bayonet. Heck, even the hood is the same.

And yeah, why pay full price for an unbranded lens?

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Nikon D5100 +21 more
Frasier Krane Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Panasonic DJI partnership?

Bhima78 wrote:

Frasier Krane wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

This is pretty interesting actually. DJI actually is releasing a 4K MFT camera of their own. I have my doubts that they would be capable of manufacturing this on their own.

The logical conclusion is that Panasonic is aiding the or possibly building it for them.

Regardless of whether the consumer is foolish enough to buy a DJI branded lens (made by Panasonic) or not, this could only help the MFT ecosystem IMO. The more people that buy into the system (for whatever reason), the more it helps the system.

And it certainly doesn't hurt anything that Panasonic is actually making them.

So, all in all, it's probably a good thing.

BostonC Contributing Member • Posts: 641

My hunch is that it's  identical to Panasonic Leica 15mm F1.7 (e.g. 9 elements, 7 groups, 3 ASPH), except it offers stepless aperture adjustment. Prob it's even made by Panasonic for DJI. I wrote to DJI,  wait to have the feature confirmed.

RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,914

BostonC wrote:

My hunch is that it's identical to Panasonic Leica 15mm F1.7 (e.g. 9 elements, 7 groups, 3 ASPH), except it offers stepless aperture adjustment. Prob it's even made by Panasonic for DJI. I wrote to DJI, wait to have the feature confirmed.

No obvious claim of "Leica" lineage, but one might assume that it uses the same (supposedly Leica) optical formula.

rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +17 more
harroeu Regular Member • Posts: 197
Boxed product?

Maybe DJI sells this lens as part of their product. It is not very common to find parts of different brands boxed as one product.

harroeu's gear list:harroeu's gear list
Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT +1 more
SpinOne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999
Re: Boxed product?

harroeu wrote:

Maybe DJI sells this lens as part of their product. It is not very common to find parts of different brands boxed as one product.

"The Zenmuse X5 with DJI Inspire 1 and DJI MFT 15mm F1.7 ASPH lens will sell for $4,499/€4,999 starting the end of September."

So yes, it's a "kit" lens with the drone.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,209
Does DJI make Panasonic 15mm f1.7?

dv312 wrote:

Or maybe the Lumix 15mm f1.7 is a re-badged DJI 15mm f1.7?  Or maybe a 3rd party makes the lens for both Panasonic and DJI?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Bhima78 Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Well...

Frasier Krane wrote:

Bhima78 wrote:

Frasier Krane wrote:

dv312 wrote:

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

This is pretty interesting actually. DJI actually is releasing a 4K MFT camera of their own. I have my doubts that they would be capable of manufacturing this on their own.

The logical conclusion is that Panasonic is aiding the or possibly building it for them.

Regardless of whether the consumer is foolish enough to buy a DJI branded lens (made by Panasonic) or not, this could only help the MFT ecosystem IMO. The more people that buy into the system (for whatever reason), the more it helps the system.

And it certainly doesn't hurt anything that Panasonic is actually making them.

So, all in all, it's probably a good thing.

It is definitely a good thing that DJI made that awesome camera and drone, along with some pretty dang slick software to manage it all. THAT is definitely good for m43's as a system. Rebadging a lens and charging more for it? Not that good. I sort of wish they made a slightly cheaper version at the $400 retail price instead of what they are doing.

Bhima78's gear list:Bhima78's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +12 more
Jzier New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Does DJI make Panasonic 15mm f1.7?

Prior to purchasing Inspire 1 Pro with the X5, I already owned a LUMIX GH4. This drone platform was perfect for me because it gave me essentially the same camera without the expense of the bigger aerial platforms needed to carry a DSLR. Anyway, when I saw that the X5 was MFT and supported Pansonic Lenses I saw an added benefit of gaining a 15mm, f/1.7 lens for my GH4. Here's my issue/ question. Could anyone explain why when the DJI lens is mounted on the GH4, it does not stop down to f/1.7? The lowest it goes down to is f/2.2. Haven't been able to find anything similar on Internet searches and as you can see from the included photo, the lenses appears to be Identical and as some have speculated, maybe even actually the Panasonic lens.

Jzier New Member • Posts: 3

Jzier wrote:

Prior to purchasing Inspire 1 Pro with the X5, I already owned a LUMIX GH4. This drone platform was perfect for me because it gave me essentially the same camera without the expense of the bigger aerial platforms needed to carry a DSLR. Anyway, when I saw that the X5 was MFT and supported Pansonic Lenses I saw an added benefit of gaining a 15mm, f/1.7 lens for my GH4. Here's my issue/ question. Could anyone explain why when the DJI lens is mounted on the GH4, it does not stop down to f/1.7? The lowest it goes down to is f/2.2. Haven't been able to find anything similar on Internet searches and as you can see from the included photo, the lenses appears to be Identical and as some have speculated, maybe even actually the Panasonic lens.

Disregard. The lens when shipped from DJI has a rubber boot over the focus ring. Hidden under the boot was a aperture stop ring set to f/2.2. I guess when on the X5, the stop ring doesn't matter but does on the GH4.

BostonC Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Does the DJI lens have stepless aperture adjustment?

Marathon Bob
Marathon Bob Regular Member • Posts: 371

So it's a PL15 with a condom.

Marathon Bob's gear list:Marathon Bob's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 VA Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D NEX-5T
uRebel Rob Senior Member • Posts: 1,537

Jzier wrote:

Jzier wrote:

Disregard. The lens when shipped from DJI has a rubber boot over the focus ring. Hidden under the boot was a aperture stop ring set to f/2.2. I guess when on the X5, the stop ring doesn't matter but does on the GH4.

Does the X5 have an A or M mode? The GH4 also ignores the aperture ring in P and S modes, and only reads the aperture ring when in A or M mode.

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Nikon D5100 +21 more
Ger Horgan Regular Member • Posts: 260

dv312 wrote:

Pls prove me wrong

Cheers,

damn fu((( expensive

-- hide signature --
 Ger Horgan's gear list:Ger Horgan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
jsaras Contributing Member • Posts: 587

I can pick one up for
$350. Worth it?

-- hide signature --

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

jsaras's gear list:jsaras's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads