D7200 as wireless commander for flash?

Started Sep 7, 2015 | Discussions
fastHID
fastHID Contributing Member • Posts: 811
D7200 as wireless commander for flash?

Does the 7200 have the capability to act as a commander for off camera Nikon flash units?

is it difficult to manipulate and set up? (I'm used to doing this with a Canon 70D which is pretty easy)

Canon EOS 70D Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WeB52 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,106
Re: D7200 as wireless commander for flash?

Yes.  I'm not familiar with the canon system, but the Nikon system uses flashes of light.

1)  put the camera into commander mode (note which channels it will use)

2)  put the flashes into remote mode (make sure they are on the camera's channels).

I usually dial back the on-board flash if I have to use the pop-up unit so I don't get a shadow from the lens hood.

-- hide signature --
jimmybob Regular Member • Posts: 153

fastHID wrote:

Does the 7200 have the capability to act as a commander for off camera Nikon flash units?

Absolutely. SB600, SB700, SB800, SB900 and SB910 are all Nikon branded wirelessly compatible. There are several 3rd party options as well.

is it difficult to manipulate and set up? (I'm used to doing this with a Canon 70D which is pretty easy)

I've never used a Canon system so I have no point of comparison, but I found it easy to set up.

-- hide signature --

WSSA# 280
James

jimmybob's gear list:jimmybob's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
fastHID
OP fastHID Contributing Member • Posts: 811

the flashes of light are emitted by the pop-up flash?

fastHID
OP fastHID Contributing Member • Posts: 811

thank you

jimmybob Regular Member • Posts: 153

Yup flash must be raised for it to work. The Fongster has a video on youtube that explains the system well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuCUihZnG1I

-- hide signature --

WSSA# 280
James

jimmybob's gear list:jimmybob's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Tom Frerichs Regular Member • Posts: 298

You can also use the built-in flash as a commander only...that way it doesn't contribute any light to the exposure.

Tom Frerichs's gear list:Tom Frerichs's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D4S Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +18 more
HX100V_SN-501251
HX100V_SN-501251 Contributing Member • Posts: 557
Contributes some light .....

Tom Frerichs wrote:

You can also use the built-in flash as a commander only...that way it doesn't contribute any light to the exposure.

I believe it does contribute some light ..... not much, but some.  Try taking a picture into a mirror and it definitely is emitting a significant amount of visible light in pure "commander mode";  enough to be captured in the image taken in the mirror.

HX100V_SN-501251's gear list:HX100V_SN-501251's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
StevenJD New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Contributes some light .....

I believe it does contribute some light ..... not much, but some. Try taking a picture into a mirror and it definitely is emitting a significant amount of visible light in pure "commander mode"; enough to be captured in the image taken in the mirror.

That is correct, it does contribute some light. However, the off-camera flashes respond to the infrared part of the spectrum when receiving commands, so you can reduce the influence to almost nothing by placing an IR panel over the built-in flash. At least this was true with my D80. Have not tried in on my D7200 yet, but I am pretty sure it would work the same. Nikon even sells an IR panel specifically for this purpose:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410445-REG/Nikon_4905_SG_3IR_IR_Panel_for.html

Steve

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,279
practically none ...in most cases

HX100V_SN-501251 wrote:

Tom Frerichs wrote:

I believe it does contribute some light ..... not much, but some.

Yes it will contribute in commander mode but not enough to really change the lighting (or even the metering) of the subject in a noticeable way vs the other scene lighting (off camera flash contribution and other ambient light) ...though you can see it (as you point out) reflected at times. With reflections though, way way easy to clone out so again. Very rarely an issue.

Here is an example shot in a pitch black room.

Pop up down

Same room with POP-up acting as commander only

You have to download the originals and add exposure comp to see the dif in a more obvious way. Use +5 EC

As you can see...the contribution will not be noticed, over the remote flash contribution, in the vast majority of situations. The contribution is also less than setting the pop-up to 1/128 manual power. One exception will be in the case of certain close up macro work where the subject is macro close. I use a Nikon SG-31R to block in those cases so only the remotes are contributing. I find the IR shield really doesn't seem to limit command range either.

I keep the Nikon SG-31R shield handy in those cases were the commander may cause folks to blink or reflections can be hard to control....some DIY options as well.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Tom Frerichs Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: practically none ...in most cases

I started to reply, but your examples are so much more to the point. 

Tom Frerichs's gear list:Tom Frerichs's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D4S Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads