Sony Needs to Make it Quicker to Change Focus Areas

Started Sep 1, 2015 | Discussions
aerts1js Regular Member • Posts: 147
Sony Needs to Make it Quicker to Change Focus Areas

This was sorta brought up in another thread but is there a way to make it quicker to choose focus areas when shooting manually? Since the A7RII image is so large it takes forever to scroll the focus box to where I need it.

There needs to be a way to preset some focus locations.

Sony, if you're reading this it needs to be resolved in a firmware update.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Aerts
www.jeremyaerts.com

aerts1js's gear list:aerts1js's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7R II
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 3,245
Re: Sony Needs to Make it Quicker to Change Focus Areas

aerts1js wrote:

This was sorta brought up in another thread but is there a way to make it quicker to choose focus areas when shooting manually? Since the A7RII image is so large it takes forever to scroll the focus box to where I need it.

Sony, if you're reading this it needs to be resolved in a firmware update.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Aerts
www.jeremyaerts.com

And thereby adding more complexity to the user interface with no benefits...

Guess your preset focus points will never be where you need them! So It will most likely be push, push, push, push, push, push ... nope...

OP aerts1js Regular Member • Posts: 147

Trollmannx wrote:

aerts1js wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Aerts
www.jeremyaerts.com

Guess your preset focus points will never be where you need them! So It will most likely be push, push, push, push, push, push ... nope...

I don't think it would make the user interface more complex as it would be optional and up to the user.

An easy solution would be just to place them at the intersections of the rule of third boxes as a starting point.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Aerts
www.jeremyaerts.com

Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

Dear god yes. Focus point selection is so much cleaner on my A77 II.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,211

Promit wrote:

You should see it on my NEX 5N . . . I touch and there is the focus point. 

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,961
100% agree - n/t

salesgenie Junior Member • Posts: 30

That was me who started the other thread.

Ideally, a small optical trackpad (like on a Blackberry) that could be worked with the left hand would be great - next to the microphone or under the lens.  Touchscreens do not allow you to use the viewfinder while focusing and this approach would allow it.

Slide your finger across the trackpad to set focus area and tap to lock focus.  Think a modern version of the Canon joystick.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,961

You should become a Sony engineer ! That sounds like a great idea !!!

exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,226

Sony still has something to leave for A9 series... dedicated joystick might reserved for that line for example... what A7 lines might get is probably AF using a finger and touch sensitive LCD like proper M43 cameras can do

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,535
Already faster than Nikon...

aerts1js wrote:

You know you can do it considerably faster than a D600 or D800 - yes? Have you used the wheels yet? It takes one more press, but I can be there in a split second - press and spin and you're there. Or do you mean you want the ability to have a reduced set that you can just click to like when using TTL focusing on the Nikons?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R XF 90mm +2 more
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

sean lancaster wrote:

Promit wrote:

You should see it on my NEX 5N . . . I touch and there is the focus point.

I'm also in agreement with Gordon Laing and others that leaving touch off this thing was an unfortunate decision. I love what the A7R2 is doing for me, but for the price they're asking it feels just a bit shoddy for Sony to bring a 90% game.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Emacs23 Regular Member • Posts: 454

Trollmannx wrote:

aerts1js wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Aerts
www.jeremyaerts.com

The easy solution that will be both faster and easier to use than current state of shlt is touch screen. Panasonic already did this and it works great.

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,322
Re: Already faster than Nikon...

aerts1js wrote:

You know you can do it considerably faster than a D600 or D800 - yes? Have you used the wheels yet? It takes one more press, but I can be there in a split second - press and spin and you're there. Or do you mean you want the ability to have a reduced set that you can just click to like when using TTL focusing on the Nikons?

I can set the focus point on my 810 faster than my A7R. That said, how quickly I can do it on my A7R has never been a hindrance. I find that the A7R can be a heavily customized, enough so that I don't ever need to go into the menus. I use the back wheel, centre button press to activate, control pad to select. Very easy.
--
Dave Sanders

OP aerts1js Regular Member • Posts: 147

stevo23 wrote:

aerts1js wrote:

I was sorta thinking of a reduced set that I can just click through. I'll try out that wheel method when I get home from work though. I didn't realize that was an option. Although It's still not exactly a solution if i'm not able to move diagonally.

Right now I'm literally just tapping the box to where I want/need it to be... so time consuming. There's gotta be a better way.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Aerts
www.jeremyaerts.com

Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,322

The Panasonic touchscreen implementation allows for its use when it's at eye level. I really like this method. I'd like to see a touch screen from Sony but it's more of a 'nice to have'.
--
Dave Sanders

Dave Sanders wrote:

aerts1js wrote:

I can set the focus point on my 810 faster than my A7R. That said, how quickly I can do it on my A7R has never been a hindrance. I find that the A7R can be a heavily customized, enough so that I don't ever need to go into the menus. I use the back wheel, centre button press to activate, control pad to select. Very easy.

You can us one button to activate, and a wheel to move it. One spin and you're all the way across the screen if you want. It's much faster than it ever was with my D600.

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R XF 90mm +2 more
Rob
Rob Regular Member • Posts: 450

Having a touchscreen is the best solution, and if it's implemented the way Olympus does it, you can simply turn it off with a single tap on an icon on the screen if you want to deactivate it. You can also choose with that same icon whether you want to use the touchscreen only as AF selection, or also fire the shutter too.

Another feature that would help a lot, is the ability to link AF points to orientation. my 5DMKIII and E-M1 both allow this, so that when you turn the camera to portrait orientation, you get a different AF point position you have set up for it (I set it to about 1/3 up, so it's closest to a person's eyes in more situations).

Joystick or trackpad are going to be less intuitive/speedy compared to the touchscreen, but still better than not having them.

-- hide signature --

Rob
http://www.ethereality.info (Art, music, photography, writings, and blog)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32242855@N00/ (Flickr)

Rob's gear list:Rob's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,922
Some combination of Focus Lock + Back-Button + AF-Continuous should help w/o touch

Emacs23 wrote:
The easy solution that will be both faster and easier to use ... touch screen.

Not easy because it isn't possible with the current a7x family that don't have touch screens.

This Sony newbie hopes to get competent with some mix of back-button-focus and AF-continuous and "Focus Lock" to rapidly select the preferred subject to focus on.

My speculation is that you can start with the subject in the center, Lock on that, and then compose to taste with the subject not in the center.

Done correctly, you wouldn't have the issue of "focus and recompose" that can be an issue close-up with wide open fast lenses (such as 85mm at f1.4).

Easier said than done ... I'm not close to mastering this, so "consider the source". For many of us "Canon defectors", it's that much more complicated because of the mix of native FE lenses and adapted Canon EF lenses.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

Doesn't work as fast for me. Center button is too far away from the wheels, takes too much time. Wheels only allow change in one direction. On the D810 and D750 I can even go in a diagonal way by pressing two arrows. It would even help to not have to make two button presses to change it. A joystick would be ideal. When using a camera for long stretches, it makes a difference for me.

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

HFLM wrote:Doesn't work as fast for me.

Then you're not using it right. I can get anywhere I need on the screen while you're still using your pad on the D600 or D800 to get to the same place.

Center button is too far away from the wheels, takes too much time. Wheels only allow change in one direction.

They allow change in two directions each. And you can use a button that is very close to the wheels to activate. The ONLY inefficiency here is that you have to press once to activate while the D600 is always activated and you just start moving with the multi pad.

On the D810 and D750 I can even go in a diagonal way by pressing two arrows. It would even help to not have to make two button presses to change it. A joystick would be ideal. When using a camera for long stretches, it makes a difference for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads