Magnificent

Started Aug 22, 2015 | User reviews
Tony Roulston Regular Member • Posts: 132
Magnificent

As I have a set of wide angle M mount lenses and the 55mm I decided one more was need to round out the Sony A7ii and a portrait lens with OSS was in my sights. The macro capability was a bonus.

Inspired by the DXOMark score for this I was confident that this lens would be money well spent, I was not mistaken. Both the 55mm and 90mm deserve their score over at DXO. Theses two together with the Otus pair round out the top four lens they have tested.

This 90mm is a large and heavy (relatively) lens, but compared to Nikon or Canon glass of similar quality and price it is quite petite. It suits and balances the camera well and does not suffer the absence of a tripod mount. The inherent mass makes for a strong stable grip, and provides a level of stability simply through its inertia. This sounds like I am suggesting it is a monster. It is not, simply it is a little large than many would expect for a prime. But oh, so worth it.

Man this thing is smooth, and should come with a warning as it is sharp enough to shave the resulting images could cut you just by looking at them. Focus is comparatively fast, anyone concerned with focus speed can flick the range limit switch for the circumstance thus reducing the range through which the system has to rack. We have become quite spoilt with the current crop of high-speed and very accurate AF systems. This lens is sufficiently fast for everything other than profession sports photography, but that is not its design purpose.

The internal OSS works with the body IIS and allows for handholding in settings that would require a tripod, though better practice still has the tripod being used  for macro work, this all just contributes to spectacular imaging capability.

This is not a cheap lens, when has quality glass every been cheap, and was purchased during a Sony cash back promotion which took the sting out a little, but good glass is critical for large sharp files, and will outlast the camera. I do not see this equipment as an investment unless you are a pro, but even hobbyists will see the value in this baby when they get their hands on it and get those first few test shots onto the computer.

I particularly like the focus hold button, the sliding of the focus ring to change from AF to MF and back. The focus ring throw is silky smooth and about 170 degrees and it sucks in light like a black hole which provides confidence when shooting wide open.

I would highly recommend this lens to any full-frame Sony camera user.

I almost never would give anything five stars, but I would give this an eleven if I could.

Do you get the impression that I like this lens, after owning a Nikon and some very ordinary but expensive Nikon glass, this one would shame anything out Nikon or Canon recently.

If in doubt, rent one, I doubt you will get anyone to lend you theirs, I know I wouldn't, but try one and you will hooked.

I am new to Sony, the A7ii being my first ever, and with these two primes, I am becoming a convert.... Anyone want  much loved and maybe redundant Leica M8?

-- hide signature --

Undead: Changed from Nikon to Canon, back to Nikon, now have Leica M8, A7ii (primarily for video) and now thinking of retiring the Leica. don't ask...... I'm just a tech slut.

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
Telephoto macro prime lens • Sony FE • SEL90M28G
Announced: Mar 4, 2015
Tony Roulston's score
Average community score
Sony a7 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,769
I think...

you might also want to post this in the Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk forum.

davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264
Re: Magnificent

Glad you like it.

Plenty of APS-C users are loving this lens.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former NEX-3, F3, and 6 owner. Now a proud A6000 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Glenn Veteran Member • Posts: 7,910
Re: I think...

really? this forum is a ghost town now that full frame is gone, is chasing away someone contributing something useful really necessary?

davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264
Re: I think...

rjjr wrote:

you might also want to post this in the Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk forum.

One of the reasons I was against the forum split.  You have lenses that are capable of working on both, it is nice to see reports of both.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former NEX-3, F3, and 6 owner. Now a proud A6000 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads