Excellent lens!

Started Aug 21, 2015 | User reviews
idemi
idemi New Member • Posts: 8
Excellent lens!

I have purchased this lens for my new Fujifilm X-T1 a couple of weeks ago. The build quality is wonderful, all metal body. And the glass provides excellent photos. Even at f1.4 the photos look great. The focus ring work very good with a good blanced resistance for smooth operation. The aperture ring is easy to use with the f-stop number clearly visible. The only minor thing I like to mention is that it is a little bit to easy to turn. But, I guess I still have to get used to my new camera and lens.

This lens is a great combo with the X-T1. Very nice for street photography.

idemi's gear list:idemi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Wideangle prime lens • Fujifilm X • 16405575
Announced: Sep 5, 2013
idemi's score
Average community score
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SwedishPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Excellent lens!

I just bought a used one today, looks like new!

But.. the focus ring on mine isn't "super buttery smooth" like old legacy lenses and such. I really thought it would be though. It's like there's tiny tiny tiny grains of sand when i turn it. It turns without much resistance, but it really doesn't feel buttery

And i can hear it turn as well.

Please tell me it's supposed to be like this?

How's yours?

I have started a thread about this already, but i'm asking everyone i can get a hold of.

Thanks.

//Mike

PS. I'm referring to when the camera is off, or ofc when the lens isn't even on the camera. The sound and feel it gives when manually focusing (moving the lens elements) with the camera on i fully understand is fully normal.

SwedishPhoto's gear list:SwedishPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS M Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 +7 more
idemi
OP idemi New Member • Posts: 8

SwedishPhoto wrote:

I just bought a used one today, looks like new!

But.. the focus ring on mine isn't "super buttery smooth" like old legacy lenses and such. I really thought it would be though. It's like there's tiny tiny tiny grains of sand when i turn it. It turns without much resistance, but it really doesn't feel buttery

And i can hear it turn as well.

Please tell me it's supposed to be like this?

How's yours?

I have started a thread about this already, but i'm asking everyone i can get a hold of.

Thanks.

//Mike

PS. I'm referring to when the camera is off, or ofc when the lens isn't even on the camera. The sound and feel it gives when manually focusing (moving the lens elements) with the camera on i fully understand is fully normal.

Hi Mike,

From reading your comment I guess you have bought the lens online. Personally, when I buy a used lens, I always do that in person so I can see and feel the lens. But even then, that will give you no guarantee.

Sounds like "tiny grains of sand" are not in my lens.

I hope you have some kind of purchase guarantee.

Cheers, Dennis

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,196

I agree this is an awesome lens I wish they would have made it smaller though.

57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,240

It just so happens that I was using it today! Here's a crop at f4, pp in LR 6 with VSCO tools -

B-17 "Sally B" flies over Stoke Newington N16 en route to the Dunsfold Wings & Wheels show.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Manoj TK New Member • Posts: 11

57LowRider wrote:

It just so happens that I was using it today! Here's a crop at f4, pp in LR 6 with VSCO tools -

B-17 "Sally B" flies over Stoke Newington N16 en route to the Dunsfold Wings & Wheels show.

Cant' agree more. I bought a used x-e2 for a lighter travel kit. Don't regret the decision - especially due of this little gem. So versatile and tack sharp in most of the situations. Going to sell of my Nikon gear. D600 already listed for sale. Already dreaming of 56mm f1.2.

A sample from 23mm f1.4

idemi
OP idemi New Member • Posts: 8

Manoj TK wrote:

Cant' agree more. I bought a used x-e2 for a lighter travel kit. Don't regret the decision - especially due of this little gem. So versatile and tack sharp in most of the situations. Going to sell of my Nikon gear. D600 already listed for sale. Already dreaming of 56mm f1.2.

A sample from 23mm f1.4

What a wonderful image

Noctumn
Noctumn Regular Member • Posts: 198

What a timeless image! I love images like these.

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,560
I agree. It's a excellent lens! ...nt
-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Ari Aikomus's gear list:Ari Aikomus's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Pentax K-1 Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-A5
guitarjeff
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,831

idemi wrote:

Manoj TK wrote:

A sample from 23mm f1.4

What a wonderful image

Wow, hit full size and zoom in to the eye, you can count the lashes, just awesome, and the rendering is smooth as silk.  Love it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads