2 pentax ff not one ..

Started Aug 15, 2015 | Discussions
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,186
2 pentax ff not one ..

From a friend working at a big store selling pentax and Ricoh equipments :
There will be 2 pentax ff will release the end of October or November.
The cheap will wear k3 body and features using 24 mp with built-in flash and wi fi .
The flagship one will be 42 mp wearing a new body with WI fi no built in flash.
The above is his words and I am just transferred.
It is still speculation for me .
--
pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,359
Re: 2 pentax ff not one ..

I suspect that APS-C has reached the point of diminishing returns for further development (and soon, perhaps, diminishing sales). It makes sense for Pentax to shift into full-frame product development. So in that way, this rumor makes sense.

Joe

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,217

Don't agree Joe, I have several friends returning from FF to APSc & 4/3s because of size & weight.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,578

ozdean wrote:

Don't agree Joe, I have several friends returning from FF to APSc & 4/3s because of size & weight.

You get to a level to which you've used all the best equipment you were capable of trying and you then evaluate what you either liked best or works best for you and what you didn't like... This is when a person may decide system X is more desirable than system Y for whatever reason even if its totally illogical to other people. One area you'll know you're at this point is when you stop pursuing the absolute best lenses for something more convenient or something you just like to use or even a lens that just has more character you like. Or where you stop taking out your best lenses for other lenses that are just more fun (yes they can be the same thing too). For me, the weight of the F*600mm F4.0 over ruled its superior quality, sure i could still hand hold it and tromp through the bush with it but it wasn't as fun, so I was willing to give up 100mm and 1/3rd of a stop and maybe slightly weaker IQ to save 8.2lbs. I'm also at the point where if the Sigma 150-600mm S were to come out in the Pentax mount I'd replace my Sigma 500mm F4.5 for it giving up IQ and aperture for the convenience of a good zoom.

You may not have reached a point where you figure you can be content with something that isn't the best and in some ways i haven't either, however in other ways i have.

So some people realized that they personally don't need FF to be happy with photography (to get the shots they want) and have decided to find a smaller system, personally I'm not willing to lose the OVF just for a few conveniences of mirrorless systems. I also have a higher tolerance to size and weight than many others. Also I'm not committed to a FF camera from Pentax, as i have said many times when it arrives I'll evaluate its feature set and see if it suits me or not, I'm quite happy where i am but won't ignore other options either.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

PhotogJosh Forum Member • Posts: 84

MightyMike wrote:

ozdean wrote:

You get to a level to which you've used all the best equipment you were capable of trying and you then evaluate what you either liked best or works best for you and what you didn't like... This is when a person may decide system X is more desirable than system Y for whatever reason even if its totally illogical to other people. One area you'll know you're at this point is when you stop pursuing the absolute best lenses for something more convenient or something you just like to use or even a lens that just has more character you like. Or where you stop taking out your best lenses for other lenses that are just more fun (yes they can be the same thing too). For me, the weight of the F*600mm F4.0 over ruled its superior quality, sure i could still hand hold it and tromp through the bush with it but it wasn't as fun, so I was willing to give up 100mm and 1/3rd of a stop and maybe slightly weaker IQ to save 8.2lbs. I'm also at the point where if the Sigma 150-600mm S were to come out in the Pentax mount I'd replace my Sigma 500mm F4.5 for it giving up IQ and aperture for the convenience of a good zoom.

You may not have reached a point where you figure you can be content with something that isn't the best and in some ways i haven't either, however in other ways i have.

So some people realized that they personally don't need FF to be happy with photography (to get the shots they want) and have decided to find a smaller system, personally I'm not willing to lose the OVF just for a few conveniences of mirrorless systems. I also have a higher tolerance to size and weight than many others. Also I'm not committed to a FF camera from Pentax, as i have said many times when it arrives I'll evaluate its feature set and see if it suits me or not, I'm quite happy where i am but won't ignore other options either.

If the FF is good I'll be jumping right in or switching to Sony, depending on price and lens selection.
I recently took a 12mp Sony A7s file from the Studio Comparison Tool and scaled it up to match a 20mp KS-2 file and the Sony had more detail by a fair bit. I've been shooting with crops for 12 years and I have reached my limitations.
I do hope that the rumor is true and that there is a 24mp version as well at a lower cost. I hope they have the new pixel shift and I hope they have KS-2 style flip screens.

Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

I left full frame to goto a mirrorless system, then regret it and went back to a full size camera body.

I think it makes sense for pentax to offer an A7 rival and a nikon D810 rival though.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77 mkii - minolta lenses
Pentax K10D - M 50mm F1.4

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm
Gary2010
Gary2010 Contributing Member • Posts: 569

I have been with Pentax APSC and have two bodies and too many lenses.  My next move has been Olympus micro 4/3 rds system mainly because of weight.  I have no plans as of now of investing in Pentax FF.

Gary2010's gear list:Gary2010's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II +13 more
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,989

The OP is just passing on info and sounds like he's making that clear, but makes sense to me as all FF sellers have done the same thing.

Makes perfect sense to me, i for one will take a bit of time to see how they stack up, but for my work the 24 mp translates into a more useable beast and stable camera to use for fast moving low light action.

Currently the D750 looks like my best option.

naldopr
naldopr New Member • Posts: 14

Time will tell

Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,314
Re: MightyMike

MightyMike wrote:

I'm also at the point where if the Sigma 150-600mm S were to come out in the Pentax mount I'd replace my Sigma 500mm F4.5 for it giving up IQ and aperture for the convenience of a good zoom.

Mike, why don't you consider Pentax 150-450 and aim for the Sigma? I'm also thinking about zoom convenience. The 150-450 looks fine and is good with HD 1.4x. Too slow?

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 500mm F4 Sport Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +2 more
SBS
SBS Senior Member • Posts: 2,627

ozdean wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I don't see myself buying another Pentax APS-C camera. I stopped at the K5IIs, and I will be looking at FF for improved image quality, or MFT for technological advances and size/weight considerations. I think the APS-C cameras are on their way out.

PhotogJosh Forum Member • Posts: 84

SBS wrote:

ozdean wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I don't see myself buying another Pentax APS-C camera. I stopped at the K5IIs, and I will be looking at FF for improved image quality, or MFT for technological advances and size/weight considerations. I think the APS-C cameras are on their way out.

There's always a place for APS-C with it's built in crop. Sports and wildlife photogs usually shoot with them, why do you think there's the 7D MKii.
Pentax needs to come out with some more standard lenses for FF. There's no announcement of a 24-70 2.8, that strikes me as odd unless Tamron is planning on releasing one.

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,103

Hi,

Thx.  Let's see.  I've long guessed at two models - one low res and one high.  I can't see why a single model strategy would make sense to Pentax where it hasn't made sense to any other manufacturer, but the idea has been condemned every time I've mentioned it.   But this is still all rumor and conjecture of course, so I could still be wrong.   We'll all be wiser later this year.....

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
tombell1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135
Re: 2 pentax ff not one ..Great move

For me I still love my K5 and the great lenses that Pentax have ..... 77/43/35 macro etc  etc etc ... but I photograph when walking .. all day.

So two things for me .....

Weight and size

So I often go with my Olympus EMD OM5 with 9-18 / 14-42  and 12-40 if not going far .... as well as nice little primes ... Pan 20 / Oly 45 / Sigma 60

BUT I would think about FF as when not going far the advantages in image quality are clear ....

Lastly I love  an articulating LCD .. as I get older  it improves flexibility for low photographs especially when tired. It is also very useful on a tripod ....

I fear for Pentax but I also think the world may eventually go

4/3 and FF so Pentax must make this move

-- hide signature --
 tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +16 more
noel2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,092

I agree with your considerations regarding choice of lenses and type of camera. I have been using a K5 and K5IIs these last years. Some months ago I got a Sony A7II, because of its capability of using my older Pentax FF lenses - but also because of IBIS. I am extremely satisfied with the overall improvement of image quality (also using a Sony 24-240 for landscape and hiking). But the electronic viewfinder does not - by far - equal an OVF in strong ambient light conditions and for "action" (such as wildlife photography). I am very interested by what Pentax will have to offer with its forthcoming FF body - presumably with an OVF.

noel2's gear list:noel2's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Sony a7R III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +24 more
zakaria
OP zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,186

I suspect that APS-C has reached the point of diminishing returns for further development (and soon, perhaps, diminishing sales). It makes sense for Pentax to shift into full-frame product development. So in that way, this rumor makes sense.

Joe

I hope pentax concentrate on only 2 models aps/c k3 and ks2series . And keeping the big effort to ff cameras
--with high end lenses.
pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
M R Padmaraju Veteran Member • Posts: 5,005

Agree with you . Photography for many is for pleasure plus a little pain- burden . If it becomes more pain and less fun , pursuing will be difficult .

Regards ,

mrp .

M R Padmaraju's gear list:M R Padmaraju's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-500 Pentax K-S1 +8 more
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,457

zakaria wrote:

From a friend working at a big store selling pentax and Ricoh equipments :
There will be 2 pentax ff will release the end of October or November.
The cheap will wear k3 body and features using 24 mp with built-in flash and wi fi .
The flagship one will be 42 mp wearing a new body with WI fi no built in flash.
The above is his words and I am just transferred.
It is still speculation for me .
--
pentaxian .

This seems more like K3/K3II proper 24Mpix APS-C successor + 42MP FF body.
24Mpix FF has no marketing sense today for market such small as Pentax has.

xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K20D +31 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,578
Re: MightyMike

Greyser wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

I'm also at the point where if the Sigma 150-600mm S were to come out in the Pentax mount I'd replace my Sigma 500mm F4.5 for it giving up IQ and aperture for the convenience of a good zoom.

Mike, why don't you consider Pentax 150-450 and aim for the Sigma? I'm also thinking about zoom convenience. The 150-450 looks fine and is good with HD 1.4x. Too slow?

I already have the Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG, and its quite good with the Sigma 1.4x TC EX DG making it 140-420mm F5.6, and it may be a pinch weaker than the 150-450 on its own but its close enough that I can't justify the new Pentax lens or owning both at the same time. Also yes adding a 1.4x to the Pentax loses me light and zoom range flexibility when compared with the Sigma 150-600 and may not get me any better IQ for that loss. I would not be content with a 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 and 1.4x TC.

210-630mm F6.3-8.0 or 150-600mm F5.0-6.3 The sigma gives me 2/3rds of a stop at either end and more wide. Remember I'd be replacing my 500mm F4.5/700mm F6.3 prime/prime+TC setup, taking a loss to get flexibility

Either way its hypothetical until the Sigma 150-600mm S is available in the Pentax mount.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,180

Thats was good news, any word on 4k filming?

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads