TTL cable for a7II Multi-Interface Shoe?

Started Aug 12, 2015 | Discussions
papilio01
papilio01 Junior Member • Posts: 43
TTL cable for a7II Multi-Interface Shoe?

Is there such a thing?

I've ordered three cords from Amazon, paying attention to the item descriptions but in each case the product photos were misleading -- they ended up being for the old shoe style and had to be returned.

I use an off-camera Nissin i40 for macro work, and currently use Sony's HVL-F20M as the trigger. But with only two AAA batteries the Sony flash is terribly slow to recycle and it also dies very quickly. Not very reliable for what is essentially wildlife photography where I need the flash now!

I've read Sony's instructions for setting up a wireless system explaining that a built-in flash set to WL has its output reduced, but evidently such is not the case when the HVL-F20M must be used instead. I don't always require TTL so the Sony flash can be set to Fill mode in order to discard the pre-flash, but this does not appear to improve matters.

I realize that I could use an old Sony/Minolta cord with adapters (one in the hot hoe and another beneath the i40). Not only would I prefer something more well-integrated, but due to the way in which I choose to set up the i40 along with my preferred diffuser there really is very little room for this much hardware beneath the flash.

Radio transceivers would be another option, but cost more than I'd wish to spend.

If these TTL cords have yet to be produced, may I ask whether I'm missing something regarding a way to configure the a7II/HVL-F20M in WL mode which decreases its output?

Thank you!

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,115
Re: TTL cable for a7II Multi-Interface Shoe?

There are some third party TTL cords for Sony MI shoe in production but they might still be a few months away...

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a7 III
papilio01
OP papilio01 Junior Member • Posts: 43

Okay, thank you very much for the info Brian!

Erwin P Bodo Junior Member • Posts: 37

I had the same problem. There is a perfect, although expensive solution I got from B&H. You need two Sony FA-CS1M off camera shoe and one FA-MC1AM connecting cable.  The connecting cable is identical to the older Minolta version.  Periodically you can find them on eBay.

Best

-- hide signature --

Pete

papilio01

Thank you Erwin, this is a configuration which I hadn't considered. I see that the cable has four pins and is not merely a PC cable, would this allow a user to retain TTL capability?

Probably the best way to go until the cords to which Brian referred become available.

I think it is the only avenue for now.  One definite advantage, which may not be of import to you, is that the cable can be directly attached to the HVL-F60M flash.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Pete

dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

Brian_Smith wrote:

There are some third party TTL cords for Sony MI shoe in production but they might still be a few months away...

That's good news.

-- hide signature --

Dave
A7II Pentax K5ii

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony a7R II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +9 more
papilio01

Erwin P Bodo wrote:

I think it is the only avenue for now. One definite advantage, which may not be of import to you, is that the cable can be directly attached to the HVL-F60M flash.

Regards

I'll not likely be using a flash as heavy as the HVL-F60M with my rig but yes, I noticed that it is the only model among Sony's current flashes which does have the cable port.

I ordered the cord and 2 hot shoe adapters this afternoon from Amazon. As you said, a bit pricey, but I ought to be able to recover around $100 by selling the HVM-F20M.

Interestingly, both items (most frequently the cord) are listed on various sites as being discontinued, glad I got your advice in time. Thanks again!

I get a lot if good information from this forum, so I am happy that I could help a fellow forum member.

-- hide signature --

Pete

papilio01

I received the parts from Amazon yesterday, this works beautifully -- far as I can tell it's just as if I were using a legit MI shoe cable!

I've asked this same question on several of the Sony flickr groups without getting a reply suggesting anything as good as this, apparently not many are aware of this solution.

Excellent!

-- hide signature --

Pete

dc52 New Member • Posts: 1

Erwin P Bodo wrote:

Excellent!

Well I guess I'm not the only one with this problem... Sony strikes again... Love my A7 M2;

Trying to press on for a definitive Yes/No from Sony on a MI TTL cable was a pain!

Thanks for all the valuable information...

Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,599

Nissin Di700a  and Air1 Commander

But I also am awaiting  MI interface cables.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7ii
Sony 55 FE 1.8 | 28 FE f2. | 70-200G FE F4 | 70-400G ~ LA-EA4
Rokinon 135 f2 | Kiron 105 Macro
Helios 40-2 | Tair 11a | Helios 44-4 | Min MC 50 1.4
http://stufflebeanphotography.com

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads