Stay away

Started Aug 2, 2015 | User reviews
princewolf Regular Member • Posts: 152
Stay away

I was seduced by the idea that such a wide range zoom could produce decent images.  However, I was badly disappointed.  Forget using this lens at the long end, the softness and color fringing are severe.  It can produce some nice images at the wide end.  But this is not at all the reason why I bought this lens.  I bought it for the range, and trust me you will find yourself using it at that max telephoto FL, and the images will look fine on the LCD, but when you upload them to the computer and enlarge them to 100% (This is NOT pixel peeping) you will be disappointed.  I ended up selling it for 1/3 of what I paid for it and was still glad that I got rid of it.

PS: Used Canon mount on a 70D.

princewolf's gear list:princewolf's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 +28 more
Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Sony/Minolta Alpha • B016
Announced: Feb 6, 2014
princewolf's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 70D Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alex Akai
Alex Akai Regular Member • Posts: 425
Re: Stay away

Ok, I agree but this lens is intended for a walk around or travel.  You cant expect top sharpness in this kind of Range and Price.  If you want sharpness try 70-200 f2.8 for three times the price and 50% less range.

-- hide signature --

H.A.A

Alex Akai's gear list:Alex Akai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D5300 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +12 more
PRISCILLA TURNER
PRISCILLA TURNER Senior Member • Posts: 1,496

Funny, I'd give so much for this in Pentax K-mount. Then I'd use DxO 11 Elite to develop my raws with my usual discernment.

-- hide signature --

'To see, not with, but through the eye.' [William Blake]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22905474@N06/

PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list:PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list
Sigma DP1 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,615

princewolf wrote:

I was seduced by the idea that such a wide range zoom could produce decent images. However, I was badly disappointed. Forget using this lens at the long end, the softness and color fringing are severe. It can produce some nice images at the wide end. But this is not at all the reason why I bought this lens. I bought it for the range, and trust me you will find yourself using it at that max telephoto FL, and the images will look fine on the LCD, but when you upload them to the computer and enlarge them to 100% (This is NOT pixel peeping) you will be disappointed. I ended up selling it for 1/3 of what I paid for it and was still glad that I got rid of it.

PS: Used Canon mount on a 70D.

I understand that that a lens with that range is appealing, but many lenses aren't too great at the extreme telephoto ends.  I honestly never buy a lens with the intent of using it at the max focal length.  Such as buying a 70-200mm to compliment my 24-120mm Nikon.   I'd never shoot my 24-120 at 120mm (unless it was the only lens I had on me and I HAD to get the shot).  But I know darn well that the 24-120mm is not sharp at 120mm, even at smaller apertures, so part of me says to bash a lens because it's not crisp or sharp at the extreme telephoto end is not quite fair.  As most people probably won't be shooting at the maximum telephoto focal length all the time.  If this truely was an issue, I could see a 3-star rating as more appropriate, because it does serve its purpose as others have said, as a walkaround lens to be used at a variety of focal ranges, but to bash it because it fails at the long end (which many zoom lenses with wide focal ranges do).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +8 more
OP princewolf Regular Member • Posts: 152

Hi,

I understand your point, it's a fact of life that tele lenses are not very good at their max. FL, but this lens is not "not very good", it's terrible.  Useless.  It's not even good enough for walkaround or vacation shots.  I would not have believed in that review myself had I not actually tried it.  Tamron does make very good quality lenses, but this particular one is really bad.  No, it's not the usual limitation of optics, laws of physics, etc.  This lens is just plain bad.  My comment was just something I hoped would prompt other buyers to spend a bit more and get a quality lens, Tamron or otherwise.

If you own this lens and make superb photos with it, then I have nothing but the tip of my hat for you.

Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 +28 more
OP princewolf Regular Member • Posts: 152

Hi Alex,

I respect your opinion, and the last two sentences are true, but I beg to differ on the first sentence.  This lens cannot be used even for casual travel or as a walkaround lens.  It was my mistake to buy it, and my post is just meant to let others learn from my mistake.

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

princewolf wrote:

Hi Alex,

I respect your opinion, and the last two sentences are true, but I beg to differ on the first sentence. This lens cannot be used even for casual travel or as a walkaround lens. It was my mistake to buy it, and my post is just meant to let others learn from my mistake.

We are all entitled to our opinion.  Perhaps if you had limited yourself to relating your experiences with the lens, letting others make up their own mind rather than choosing a confrontational title like "Stay away", your review would have been of more use.  It would be good to hear more about how the lens didn't meet your expectations - just saying that we will be disappointed if we use it at 300mm and view the images at 100% doesn't give us much to go on

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
Alex Akai
Alex Akai Regular Member • Posts: 425

princewolf wrote:

Hi Alex,

I respect your opinion, and the last two sentences are true, but I beg to differ on the first sentence. This lens cannot be used even for casual travel or as a walkaround lens. It was my mistake to buy it, and my post is just meant to let others learn from my mistake.

Alex Akai's gear list:Alex Akai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D5300 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +12 more
HZP Contributing Member • Posts: 884

I quess you used it on a cam that has no AF micro adjustment?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads