Can my m43 compete against my t3i dslr + nifty fifty?

Started Jul 22, 2015 | Discussions
singhman Regular Member • Posts: 162
Can my m43 compete against my t3i dslr + nifty fifty?

I recently purchased the Panasonic G7 with kits lens (14-42mm) and the 45-150. I still have my canon t3i and have been very impressed with the 50mm 1.8. This is the only lens I have left since I sold all my gear to get the g7. However, I haven't been blown away with the images I am getting with the kit lenses. The t3i with 50mm 1.8 does blow me away. My question: is this because I have low image quality producing kit lenses? Could I essentially get better image quality than the Dslr if I purchased the 20mm 1.8? I wanted to take a step forward in image quality or at least match the image quality of my nifty fifty and t3i. My question: are my wishes viable? I'm really hoping that the IQ is less than what I expected because of the kit lens, and not the m43 system giving less IQ than I expected. Any ideas?

singhman's gear list:singhman's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Maklike Tier
Maklike Tier Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: Can my m43 compete against my t3i dslr + nifty fifty?

singhman wrote:

I recently purchased the Panasonic G7 with kits lens (14-42mm) and the 45-150. I still have my canon t3i and have been very impressed with the 50mm 1.8. This is the only lens I have left since I sold all my gear to get the g7. However, I haven't been blown away with the images I am getting with the kit lenses. The t3i with 50mm 1.8 does blow me away. My question: is this because I have low image quality producing kit lenses? Could I essentially get better image quality than the Dslr if I purchased the 20mm 1.8? I wanted to take a step forward in image quality or at least match the image quality of my nifty fifty and t3i. My question: are my wishes viable? I'm really hoping that the IQ is less than what I expected because of the kit lens, and not the m43 system giving less IQ than I expected. Any ideas?

Get a 'nifty 25' for your G7. So many to choose from it's ridiculous. Oly 25 f1.8 is a good start.

Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,368

Your Canon 50mm f1.8 on the t3i gives a field of view of an 80mm on FF.  On your G7 you could get the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 (an excellent lens) which would give you a field of view of 85mm on FF.  Darn close to what you like.  Plus, and it is a big plus, you will get IS with 42.5mm and that is something you never had with your 50mm on Canon.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Maklike Tier
Maklike Tier Regular Member • Posts: 462

Henry Richardson wrote:

Your Canon 50mm f1.8 on the t3i gives a field of view of an 80mm on FF. On your G7 you could get the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 (an excellent lens) which would give you a field of view of 85mm on FF. Darn close to what you like. Plus, and it is a big plus, you will get IS with 42.5mm and that is something you never had with your 50mm on Canon.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Ah damn, that's right, the t3i is APSC. Just do what Henry said

Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
lahsrah Contributing Member • Posts: 531

M43 25mm lenses "out shoot" the Canon Nifty Fifties in terms of sharpness.

Watch this Canon 5D Mark III shooter compare his Canon 50mm F1.4 vs Panasonic 25mm F1.4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LqTb4UtH1s

Video is rather long but worth the watch. This is a long time DSLR shooter trying his first MFT camera and he loves it you can hear the excitement from his voice.

If you don't have time watch from 6:20 into the video to 7:30min. just for the two lens comparison and his thoughts.

-- hide signature --
12ay New Member • Posts: 19

I personally considered the Pana 14-42 kit lens is one of the worst lens out there. I can never get good IQ from it.

I replaced mine with a 14-140ii and never touched that lens again. 

Thinking back then, I regret I have bought it as part of my GF3 kit set. Should hv saved that money for sth else.

12ay's gear list:12ay's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,732

Maklike Tier wrote:

singhman wrote:

Get a 'nifty 25' for your G7. So many to choose from it's ridiculous. Oly 25 f1.8 is a good start.

Yes it is. But because I already had the excellent 20/1.7, which was too close to the 25, I returned it and am presently waiting for the Oly 45/1.8 to arrive.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,390
The problem may be with the word "my"...

With a good prime lens (around 40mm) you should be able to outperform the Canon at certain shutter speeds. But with the G7 it appears that Panasonic has once again produced a "shutter shocker" so you need to be careful to avoid certain shutter speeds.

I had a Canon (450D, long ago) and the 50mm f/1.8 could give some very good results indeed, but wide open focus was hit or miss and stopped down the shape of the aperture diaphragm would give ugly bokeh. So yes the better lenses (also more expensive) for m43 should outperform the Canon with nifty fifty.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,709

Henry Richardson wrote:

Your Canon 50mm f1.8 on the t3i gives a field of view of an 80mm on FF. On your G7 you could get the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 (an excellent lens) which would give you a field of view of 85mm on FF. Darn close to what you like. Plus, and it is a big plus, you will get IS with 42.5mm and that is something you never had with your 50mm on Canon.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Excellent reply, I'd second all of that, especially the 42.5mm f1.7 as the lens to look at.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +25 more
TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,164
Re: Oly 45 or pana 42 f/1.7 are two very good options

Henry Richardson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

If you do not have the budget for the insanly expensive 42.5mm f/1.2 there are other very good options. The new Pana 42mm f/1.7 or Oly 45mm f/1.8 is two very fine lenses taht I feel sure you will be pleased with the results.

-- hide signature --

www.ohb.no/foto
Torstein

TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Al Bond Contributing Member • Posts: 607

There is another (relatively cheap) option to put your mind at rest: get a cheap Canon to M4/3 adapter and try nifty fifty on your G7.  OK, the field of view will be different (and the lens will be manual focus and wide open) but you should get a better idea of whether or not the kit lens is the issue.

12ay wrote:

I personally considered the Pana 14-42 kit lens is one of the worst lens out there. I can never get good IQ from it.

Thinking back then, I regret I have bought it as part of my GF3 kit set. Should hv saved that money for sth else.

I thought the newer version of the 14-42 (which is presumably what the OP got) was meant to be better?

OP singhman Regular Member • Posts: 162

The Shutter shock issue is quite disheartening. I really don't want to be always looking at my shutter speed to try to avoid certain speeds. It takes the fun out of photography. Do non zoom lenses also suffer from Shutter shock? I put my two lenses on Craigslist but haven't got any replies yet, probably shouldn't be expecting to get much for them. Already over budget, will probably have to sell the free Audio-Technica microphone i got on Craigslist too.

Astrotripper Senior Member • Posts: 4,506
Get yourself a nice prime

Buy a Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 and you will never again want to look at that Canon of yours

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more

singhman wrote:

The Shutter shock issue is quite disheartening. I really don't want to be always looking at my shutter speed to try to avoid certain speeds. It takes the fun out of photography. Do non zoom lenses also suffer from Shutter shock? I put my two lenses on Craigslist but haven't got any replies yet, probably shouldn't be expecting to get much for them. Already over budget, will probably have to sell the free Audio-Technica microphone i got on Craigslist too.

If you turn on the electronic shutter option on the G7, the shutter shock issue will be eliminated.  There are some disadvantages in using the electronic shutter (potential distortion of moving images, lower flash sync speed and possibly a reduction in the output bit depth) but I use it on my G5 and haven't encountered any show-stopping problems.

OP singhman Regular Member • Posts: 162

singhman wrote:

If you turn on the electronic shutter option on the G7, the shutter shock issue will be eliminated.  There are some disadvantages in using the electronic shutter (potential distortion of moving images, lower flash sync speed and possibly a reduction in the output bit depth) but I use it on my G5 and haven't encountered any show-stopping problems.

I have considered using the electronic shutter, but will there be visible differences in my photos, or just on a pixel peeking level?

Al Bond wrote:

12ay wrote:

I personally considered the Pana 14-42 kit lens is one of the worst lens out there. I can never get good IQ from it.

I thought the newer version of the 14-42 (which is presumably what the OP got) was meant to be better?

The 14-42 II? Some have compared it to the 14-45, and like it better than the Oly 14-42 II.

Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5

Dr_Jon wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Excellent reply, I'd second all of that, especially the 42.5mm f1.7 as the lens to look at.

An advantage the the 42.5/1.7 has over the Oly 45 is the ability to get much closer to the subject. Almost a macro lens.

HoustonTexan75 Regular Member • Posts: 160

singhman wrote:

I own somewhat comparable cameras & lenses. However, this may not exactly be the answer you hoped to receive.

First, Canon is capable of blowing the doors off any m43 camera with a premium 50mm lens attached. Not sure about the T3i, but my 5DIII paired with the Sigma ART is head & shoulders above the Pan/Leica 25mm.

However, I think the Pan 25 is still slightly better than either the Canon 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. In fact, I was so underwhelmed by both the Canon 50's that I sent them back to B&H (+ cash) for a 135L.

Not sure about the G7, but the GH4 competes nicely against the 5DIII photographically, and certainly captures superior video. Best of all, I can easily drop the GH4 + a pancake lens in my BDU pockets as a walk around camera, where the 5DIII + 40 f/2.8 is an extremely tight fit.

Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,709

Also the Panny is a lot better in the corners than the Oly, unless you stop down.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads