Anyone tried the Oshiro 35mm f/2?

Started Jul 18, 2015 | Discussions
tabosko Forum Member • Posts: 50
Anyone tried the Oshiro 35mm f/2?

I was just browsing the net today and came cross this lens... Ive never seen this before tho its looks a hell of a lot like a mitakon. They seem to have just popped up. Anyone know anything about these lenses?

http://www.amazon.com/Oshiro-Angle-Digital-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B011A2QNZC

Nihal196 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Anyone tried the Oshiro 35mm f/2?

Upvote on this, I saw it on Amazon and I am still trying to decide between this, or a used old version of the Sigma 30mm 1.4. The Oshiro seems to have great reviews, but nobody is really talking about it anywhere else but on Amazon. Any clarification would be awesome!

daowei
daowei New Member • Posts: 7

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking for information on this lens for a few months now, and haven't found anything more than a basic website and some comments on amazon. I don't have any lenses with a manual aperture ring, so I'll probably end up getting this lens just to test it out (for 175 bucks, why not?). I'll let you all know how it goes after I do.

daowei's gear list:daowei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +14 more
daowei

I just ordered it, but will not receive it until January. I'll let you know if it's any good after I get it and test it out for a few days. I decided to go out on a limb and order two relatively nameless lenses that I was always interested in, and went with this and an Arsat/Arax 80mm f2.8 T/S.

One thing that I did recently learn after looking up Oshiro Optics however, is that they seem to have some sort of connection to Venus Optics. Oshiro and Venus both carry the exact same 60mm f2.8 2:1 macro , with the same housing and all. My guess is that they are both brands doing OEM out of the same factory in China, though Oshiro claims to make their glass in Japan (while the lenses are assembled in China). Reviews on the Venus 60mm were generally positive, so hopefully we can expect the same image quality (minus the vignetting) of the Venus 60mm for this little 35mm.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +14 more
daowei

Well, I still haven't received my Oshiro yet, but I did do a little homework, and discovered that the Oshiro 35mm f/2 is actually the same lens that zhong yi (or mitakon, same brand) makes out of China for the HK market. If you go to the Oshiro website, you'll see a sample image of a rather attractive woman wearing a chinese qipao... yeah, well here are a few more images from that same set, only posted by zhong yi, not Oshiro. They are the same lens (well, not this lens specifically, this lens is an 85mm, but zhong yi also makes a 35mm that looks exactly the same as the Oshiro 35 )

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.44.caBDM1&id=45139602027&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

On a side note, Oshiro also sells a 60mm macro, which I also purchased from a different Chinese brand (Venus). It is exactly the same lens-- same housing, same 2:1 ratio, same weird design. For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying it. It does have some rather unusual ghosting effects when focused all the way out and wide open, but even so I've still managed to get some pretty decent images with it. It does what it's designed for (amazing macro, really incredible) and takes pretty decent images otherwise as well. I'll post some sample images in the near future.

I actually have a strong suspicion that SLR Magic also sources it's lenses from Mitakon, but when I suggested it in another thread I was scoffed at. I'll find some evidence, but really-- the lenses look almost the same, they are made for the same mounts, and have the same crazy f/.95 speeds. Oh yeah, and did I mention that they are for the Hong Kong market?

yikexiaoshu New Member • Posts: 4

Really want to enjoy your photoes by the Venus lens. Please let me know when you share. Thanks in advance. If I can get your e-mail address, that's would be great.

BR.

lechuza New Member • Posts: 1

I've bought one about a month ago. Everything's working well in my brand new a7sII, but I've found some spots inside the lens which might be dust or fungus.

For the budget I think it's a very good optic for photo and video, but it's very dissapointing to find this marks in a brand new lens.

daowei

Sorry to hear about the dust/fungus. Mine just arrived, and I'm pretty thrilled with it. The image quality is much better than anything I would have expected for that price-- and it works very well for video in particular. It does seem to be a tiny bit wobbly near the mount ring (it fits tightly into my Canon EF mount, but it where the lens meets the bit that connects to the camera is a bit loose). I tried tightening it myself with a screwdriver made for glasses, but it wasn't small enough. It looks like I need to get a lens repair kit, or take it into one of Shanghai's camera markets to get it tightened.

I've been a bit busy lately, but I'll post some sample images of both the Oshiro and the Venus soon enough (and of the Arsat T/S, if anyone is interested) when I have some time and am home (I'm traveling a lot for work lately).

-- hide signature --

?????,?????,?????,??????
-??

tommyTTL New Member • Posts: 2

I'm eager to see your samples. Please post if you can.

There is a guy on Flickr that posted a few https://flickr.com/photos/56478224@N00/sets/72157657203304976

tommyTTL's gear list:tommyTTL's gear list
Olympus SH-50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads