35mm Loxia or Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F/1.2 II

Started Jul 17, 2015 | Questions
Beau B
Beau B Junior Member • Posts: 49
35mm Loxia or Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F/1.2 II

Curious on if anyone has any input here.

I miss the 35mm focal length of my RX1. I loved the images I got out of the camera: great character, extremely sharp, and enjoyed the macro ring. Im looking for a 35 to go with my current a7R and future a7RII.

I am not interested in the 2.8, manual focus is fine, and am looking for one that is sharp & compact. I have narrowed it down to these two (for now).

Loxia +/- | Made for FE, great build quality, sharp / Busy Bokeh, expensive

Voigtlander +/- | Solid build, sharp stopped down, e mount adapter allows macro extension, cheaper / adapted lens, may not be able to resolve the a7Rii

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7R Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChrisLovesUgly Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: 35mm Loxia or Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F/1.2 II

Neither of those lenses are going to give you what you had with the RX1, in my opinion. The Loxia is probably closer though? In that price range, you might want to consider used RX1 for a few hundred more? Then you get AF too.

Beau B
OP Beau B Junior Member • Posts: 49

I dont expect either will fully take it's place but I would like to get closer. The thought of just picking up an RX1 again has crossed my mind but investing into this system is best for me at this point.

Beau B wrote:

I dont expect either will fully take it's place but I would like to get closer. The thought of just picking up an RX1 again has crossed my mind but investing into this system is best for me at this point.

I hear you. I couldn't decide on a 35, and didn't really want a second camera, so I pre-ordered the Batis 25 instead.

Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,481

Beau B wrote:

Curious on if anyone has any input here.

I miss the 35mm focal length of my RX1. I loved the images I got out of the camera: great character, extremely sharp, and enjoyed the macro ring. Im looking for a 35 to go with my current a7R and future a7RII.

I am not interested in the 2.8, manual focus is fine, and am looking for one that is sharp & compact. I have narrowed it down to these two (for now).

Loxia +/- | Made for FE, great build quality, sharp / Busy Bokeh, expensive

Voigtlander +/- | Solid build, sharp stopped down, e mount adapter allows macro extension, cheaper / adapted lens, may not be able to resolve the a7Rii

I've looked at the Loxia more than once but the busy bokeh (not to mention the price) really spoils it. You might take a look at the FE 28/2.

pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 269

The only fe 35mm that has similar character to the rx1's sonnar would be the 35mm 1.4 ZA. Having a lens designed specifically for fe mount and digital sensors goes a long way too.

The loxia seems to have a more old school look which makes sense considering it's an adapted m mount biogon. The voightlander might be good stopped down but I've not tried it.

I'm in the same boat as you and probably many others, patiently waiting on an fe mount (pref autofocus for me) f2 sonnar lens!! Until then I'm using the 1.4

-- hide signature --

Sydney Wedding and Portrait Photographer
http://petergeorges.com.au

pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

Buy another RX1. You won't be the first to do so.

Or, if cashed up, await the RX2. Sony could so easily slip the 42Mp sensor into the diminutive body. The reason you want a 35mm lens is the reason they have not.

CalBoy87
CalBoy87 Contributing Member • Posts: 993

I just had a chance to compare both. After about a week, I can't give you an definite answer. Each lens is different in sharpness, bokeh, and to be honest, I want to keep them both. Voigtlander is less sharp and has a less contrast, but is more.."mellow" (?), seems more smooth and not as harsh. Loxia is pure color, sharpness and contrast, very Zeissy look to me. As I compared both, I simply can't decide which one is better, as there is no better to me between them. This is like comparing pizza and spaghetti, sometimes you crave for Alfredo fettuccine and sometimes you would kill Hawaiian extra large with jalapenos. While they are both great, I had serious problem for manually focusing them. Mind you, is nothing wrong with lenses itself, is my old eyes are not up to par. So, I am selling both of them now, but were my focusing skills better, I couldn't honestly decide which lens I would keep. I suggest you buy/rent both and see for yourself which is more suitable to your taste/shooting style.

PS. Since you mentioned close focusing, you can add helicoid adapter to Nokton, allowing it to focus very closely.

Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,485
sootyvrs Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Serhan2 wrote:

If you are not in a hurry, you can also wait for new CV 35mm 1.7 M lens which will be released next month.

"ULTRON 35mm F1.7" M mount

I think the 35mm Ultron lens has been out for some time now.

Review here -

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/05/31/friday-film-the-voigtlander-ultron-35mm-f1-7-aspherical-the-secret-little-gem-by-mattia-giovanni/

Unless they have a version 2 coming?

sootyvrs's gear list:sootyvrs's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN E-P7 OM System OM-5 +12 more
Beau B

Appears there is a replacement on its way, physically looks nice. Thanks ks for the heads up. I will interested to see the results. I am not used to M mount, is this a different mount than the 35 1.2?

Sean_Jayhawk
Sean_Jayhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,455

Beau B wrote:

Appears there is a replacement on its way, physically looks nice. Thanks ks for the heads up. I will interested to see the results. I am not used to M mount, is this a different mount than the 35 1.2?

They're both M mount.

The knock ont eh 35/1.7 from Voigtlander is that the minimum focusing distance is 1 meter. That's really terrible for a 35 lens, imho. Hopefully the replacement improves on this . . . bunches.

Sean_Jayhawk's gear list:Sean_Jayhawk's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
Beau B

Hmmm, the page I read it was .5m just like the 1.2

ninjapimp Contributing Member • Posts: 524

i think the only lens that can reval the rx1 lens is the Zeiss FE 35mm f1.4, amazing optics, quality but downside is big and heavy. great lens but i dont recommend it for traveling or walking around town with it. if you gonna be on your feet all day i recommend the Fe 35mm f2.8 which sells for about $900 vs $1500 i think for thr 1.4

another option if ya dont fixated on 35mm is get a batis 25mm f2 which has amazing optics, but its about $1200 i think, and use a 35mm f2.8 if ya dont want that wide angle.

at 25mm you can get great landscape shots plus since its f2 works well for star photography.

it really depends what your goals are.

ninjapimp's gear list:ninjapimp's gear list
Sony a7R Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,548

ChrisLovesUgly wrote:

Beau B wrote:

I hear you. I couldn't decide on a 35, and didn't really want a second camera, so I pre-ordered the Batis 25 instead.

If the Batis suits your shooting needs, fine, but 25mm is a long way from 35mm and does not serve the same photographic purpose, IMO.

As to the original question, I have been using an RX1 in place of a 35mm lens for my A7II, but I do admit to being interested in the Loxia 35.  That's because it has some advantages when used on an A7II body--much better MF, IBIS, superior EVF.  It might be nice to have both. Who am I kidding? Of course it would! 

Rob

Beau B

I would be using a 35 as a walk around so the 1.4 is not an option. I do have the 85 batis on the way but the difference between a 25 and 35 is like saying just use a 50. I have never really enjoyed that range outside of doing landscape with me 24 ts-e ii

Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,548

Beau B wrote:

I would be using a 35 as a walk around so the 1.4 is not an option. I do have the 85 batis on the way but the difference between a 25 and 35 is like saying just use a 50. I have never really enjoyed that range outside of doing landscape with me 24 ts-e ii

For a walk around camera, it's hard to beat the RX1.  It is so compact and lightweight that you hardly know you are carrying it.  It is perfect in every way except one--slightly sluggish AF that sometimes gives up in low light. Even so, the RX1 is a real pleasure to use, and the output is utterly superb. So, if you get one, you will have the best 35mm lens permanently mounted on an amazingly compact body that is a true delight to walk around with, which is something that you cannot equal with an interchangeable 35mm lens for an A7x.  This may not be your goal, but I thought I would present the case for an RX1 as food for thought.

Rob

Robgo2 wrote:

ChrisLovesUgly wrote:

Beau B wrote:

If the Batis suits your shooting needs, fine, but 25mm is a long way from 35mm and does not serve the same photographic purpose, IMO.

Agreed, it's not the same - but I like shooting wide, and I already have the FE35 and a Biogon f2.

The original Ultron 1.7 didn't seem to get the greatest reviews, but I haven't actually used one. Maybe they revamped it?

Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,485

Yes, it is revamped like the CV 15mm ver III. Old version is 8 Elements in 5 Groups vs new version is 9 elements in 7 groups:

http://voigtlaender.com/35-mm-f-1,7-ultron.html

ChrisLovesUgly wrote:

Agreed, it's not the same - but I like shooting wide, and I already have the FE35 and a Biogon f2.

The original Ultron 1.7 didn't seem to get the greatest reviews, but I haven't actually used one. Maybe they revamped it?

MIRANDA1 Contributing Member • Posts: 694

Hi Beau

I can't provide any feedback on the Loxia, I've never used one but I do have the Voigtlander 35, I'm currently using it on a A7R. It is very well built which makes it pretty heavy for its size. The lens is very sharp and in my very the bokeh is very creamy and pleasant especially when shot wide open. The only drawback I have with it and it's not exclusive to the 35 is that the colour rendition is a little different than what I'm use to on my Zeiss lenses, it tends to be more muted in nature.

If you are considering the 35 I would also recommend a helicoid adapter like the VM-E close focus, it really improves the usability of the M lenses on the Sony.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads