How to get maximum burst rate - 5D Mark III

Started Jul 15, 2015 | Discussions
sdhweb New Member • Posts: 9
How to get maximum burst rate - 5D Mark III

Hello,

I own a 5D Mark III and I'm having some trouble getting it to shoot at maximum FPS (6 photos per second). Most of the time it seems more like it's shooting at 3 photos per second (just guessing). I just borrowed a 70D which offers 7 FPS and it certainly shoots faster than mine.

I have the 5D set to the following:

AF: AI servo
Drive: High speed continuous mode
RAW

I also use a UDMA 7 CF-card.

What settings may slow down the speed that I don't know about?

sdhweb's gear list:sdhweb's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,067
Re: How to get maximum burst rate - 5D Mark III

I have heard that having a CF card and an SD card both present will slow down CF speed. Try using just CF card and without including any jpeg files. In camera noise reduction will also slow things down.

Having said this, I've never used a 5D Mark III. Pay more attention to someone who has.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more
OP sdhweb New Member • Posts: 9

Victor Engel wrote:

I have heard that having a CF card and an SD card both present will slow down CF speed. Try using just CF card and without including any jpeg files. In camera noise reduction will also slow things down.

Having said this, I've never used a 5D Mark III. Pay more attention to someone who has.

Yeah, I use CF only (no SD) and just RAW.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Urmas Tartes Regular Member • Posts: 212

Check AI Servo 2st image priority settings (Manual page 96).

"Focus Priority: During continuous shooting with focus-tracking in AI Servo AF, the camera gives priority to assuring sharpest possible focus for all frames in a sequence, and will readily slow-down the fps rate if necessary to allow this."

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,859

Urmas Tartes wrote:

Check AI Servo 2st image priority settings (Manual page 96).

"Focus Priority: During continuous shooting with focus-tracking in AI Servo AF, the camera gives priority to assuring sharpest possible focus for all frames in a sequence, and will readily slow-down the fps rate if necessary to allow this."

Good one--I wasn't aware of this. I've always used AI Servo 1st image priority.

To the OP--what lens are you using? Otherwise it sounds like you should be O.K. I'm shooting two 5D III bodies, usually raw+jpeg, AI Servo, (H) High Speed (you aren't shooting in quiet mode are you?--nahhh.) Batteries charged? Try a totally different high speed card formatted in camera?

If these settings don't get you 6 fps, something is wrong with your camera. I always get a solid 6 fps.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Karmamba Regular Member • Posts: 303
Are you sure about that ?

Victor Engel wrote:

... without including any jpeg files. In camera noise reduction will also slow things down.

I would guess that the taking photos and processing them happen in parallel in the camera without affecting each other much.

Karmamba's gear list:Karmamba's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 2x II +3 more
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,067
Re: Are you sure about that ?

Karmamba wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

... without including any jpeg files. In camera noise reduction will also slow things down.

I would guess that the taking photos and processing them happen in parallel in the camera without affecting each other much.

Even if that is the case, having the save the additional images will take up more space, and writing to that additional space will take more time.
--
Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more
Re: Are you sure about that ?

Victor Engel wrote:

Karmamba wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

Even if that is the case, having the save the additional images will take up more space, and writing to that additional space will take more time.
--
Victor Engel

And that precisely why you should use jpeg files not exclude them! Exclude raw file instead.

But again, writing files and taking pictures are two separate processes. If your files are large or you have more of them you will run out of buffer sooner but it should not affect the speed of continuous shooting much. Again this in theory the practice could be different. I for my part am rarely interested in automated continuous shooting.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 2x II +3 more
Craig Zendel Regular Member • Posts: 246

sdhweb,

For reasons that I have been unable to ascertain and a thorough nuisance, the 5D MkIII will drop from 6 fps to 3 fps when the battery charge reaches 49%.

AFAIK, there is no workaround.

Could this be your issue?

HTH

Regards,

CraigZ

riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,874

sdhweb,

For reasons that I have been unable to ascertain and a thorough nuisance, the 5D MkIII will drop from 6 fps to 3 fps when the battery charge reaches 49%.

HTH

Regards,

CraigZ

This is interesting. Have you tried other batteries with the same observation?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One

Craig Zendel wrote:

sdhweb,

Of course there is a workaround. Insert a fresh battery.

riknash wrote:

sdhweb,

HTH

Regards,

CraigZ

This is interesting. Have you tried other batteries with the same observation?

riknash,

I have two no-brand batteries and two Canon. They all exhibit the same behaviour.

5D MkIII manual p.114, makes the masterfully vague statement, 'When the battery level is low, the continuous shooting speed may become slightly lower.'

I'm running firmware 1.3.3. IIRC, 1.3.2 (installed when purchased) was the same.

Regards,

CraigZ

Karmamba wrote:

Craig Zendel wrote:

sdhweb,

Of course there is a workaround. Insert a fresh battery.

Karmamba,

Thank you for your insightful suggestion.

CraigZ

Craig Zendel wrote:

sdhweb,

HTH

Regards,

CraigZ

Hi CraigZ,

It may very well be the issue. Unfortunately my 5D is in for repairs right now so I have to wait till I get it back to test. Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Pioneer 10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,442

I have the 5D set to the following:

AF: AI servo
Drive: High speed continuous mode
RAW

I also use a UDMA 7 CF-card.

What settings may slow down the speed that I don't know about?

If you have the AI Servo settings set to prioritize refocusing between shots, that will slow the burst rate down. Either move it to the middle (that's where I have it and I can blast away) or to the left to prioritize subsequent shutter releases over secondary focus.

Pioneer 10's gear list:Pioneer 10's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +2 more

Hi all,

Battery charge and AI Servo 1st and 2nd image priority (focus vs release) make a difference. Problem solved

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads