Minimal water on my Sony a7ii and it fried

Started Jul 10, 2015 | Discussions
Scottelb New Member • Posts: 4
Minimal water on my Sony a7ii and it fried

Had my Sony A7ii for three weeks. Was tramped through the woods and had some water from a tree get on the camera. Maybe a tablespoon or two. Turned the camera off and dried it. When I went to turn it on the camera started clicking so I stopped using it, thinking it just needed to dry out. When I went to turn it back on it was dead

Took it to a Sony repair place and was told it had corrosion and the unit would need complete replacement. However, due to water damage there is no warranty coverage. Took it to the next level at Sony but was denied.

This is my fourth Sony camera and I've never had a issue like this after getting the exterior wet. Whether the use of their lens adapter has had an effect on its susceptibility to water damage is unclear.

After many years as a loyal Sony camera enthusiast, rather than replace the A7ii with a new Sony, I may move on to another brand.  The company's response left me flat.

Scottelb's gear list:Scottelb's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimmyMelbourne Senior Member • Posts: 2,458
Re: Minimal water on my Sony a7ii and it fried

Scottelb wrote:

Had my Sony A7ii for three weeks. Was tramped through the woods and had some water from a tree get on the camera. Maybe a tablespoon or two. Turned the camera off and dried it. When I went to turn it on the camera started clicking so I stopped using it, thinking it just needed to dry out. When I went to turn it back on it was dead

Took it to a Sony repair place and was told it had corrosion and the unit would need complete replacement. However, due to water damage there is no warranty coverage. Took it to the next level at Sony but was denied.

This is my fourth Sony camera and I've never had a issue like this after getting the exterior wet. Whether the use of their lens adapter has had an effect on its susceptibility to water damage is unclear.

After many years as a loyal Sony camera enthusiast, rather than replace the A7ii with a new Sony, I may move on to another brand. The company's response left me flat.

Sorry for your loss. Was this the only water incident with the camera? Seems very unusual to have corrosion from small water volume.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony a5100 NEX-5T +20 more
Snikt228 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

Scottelb wrote:

After many years as a loyal Sony camera enthusiast, rather than replace the A7ii with a new Sony, I may move on to another brand. The company's response left me flat.

On a Sony sponsored shoot I saw someone's brand new A7 II die in a rain storm even though it was completely covered and didn't look like it had any water ingress at all.

All the while the Sony guy was talking about the great weather sealing.

Snikt228's gear list:Snikt228's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 8,664

Scottelb wrote:

Were you using a lens adapter?  They are not weather sealed, so that's probably where the water entered the body.  I'd imagine that water ingress around the lens area could do some major damage to the moving parts in the front of the camera.

It's a very unfortunate situation, and I understand how upset you must be. I would hope at some point they make weather sealed adapters, but that doesn't help you now.

Do you have camera insurance on your homeowners or renters policy?  If so, you need to file a claim, as this is the kind of thing that that is supposed to cover.

Sorry this happened to you,

-J

nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,934

if your camera is water damaged or corrosion damage from liquid seeping it, I don't think any manufacturer would cover that even if their camera is advertised as weathersealed. So any other company would probably have the same response for you.

So which ever brand you buy from next, I suggest you invest on insurance if you are into shooting in such conditions.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM +6 more
Mordi
Mordi Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

No consolation now, but when you buy a replacement camera, invest in a 3-year Square Trade or Mack "drops and spills" insurance policy. Cameras are just portable computers.

My philosophy is, if I can't afford the $300-400 three-year "drops and spills" warranty on a camera like an A7II, I can't afford the camera.

Mordi's gear list:Mordi's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +17 more
Ken Sky Regular Member • Posts: 309

I am disappointed with this response of Sony on 2 counts:

If there was an adapter that allowed water in, they should have warned of this possibility in the manual as they tout water sealing in the ads.

If there was no adapter, then there was a clear breach of the weather sealing which they should be responsible for. The only caveat being was this the first & only exposure to water.

Ken Sky's gear list:Ken Sky's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R II +5 more
DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,076
One of the reasons I still have my Canon gear….

I have been out in all kinds of weather with my Canons and never had a problem.

I love my Sony gear but there is no question that they are delicate flowers.

Ironically Canons are among the most durable and has the best service facilities while Sony is among the least and has the worst.

-- hide signature --

¡Viva la Resolución!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfpanno/
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dfpanno/popular-interesting/
On Flickriver chose "Scale to Fit Screen" (upper left) for highest resolution.

Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 1,793

Well that sucks. My experience is that the Sony cameras can take some beating. My A7R worked flawlessly when I took a week long boat trip a year ago. It was in a small 7m (23ft) open rescue boat, that we took over the North Sea. From Amsterdam to Åhus (Sweden) was the original plan, but poor weather conditions forced us to end the trip in Kiel (Germany) and retrieve the boat to Stockholm by trailer a couple of weeks later. The A7R with a Contax Planar 50mm f1.4 was by my side at all times, in salt water splash, rain and heavy condensation under the simple spray hood where we slept at night. The water was so salt, it turned to a thick layer of crystals on the inside of the boat. Needless to say, the A7R still soldiers on. I used it yesterday trying to catch a couple of lightning strikes with long exposures, but the weather changed.

With that said, I am a little bit fascinated by forum members who only posts at DPR when his Sony camera breaks.

Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 3,495

Yes my experience with Sony's lack of weather sealing was not very salutary. I was out shooting my A7r about two weeks ago when it started to rain. I decided to carry on shooting (with the 16-35) knowing full well the risk I was taking and that Sony makes no concrete claims of weather sealing or coverage for water damage. No problems at the time but when I next went to switch on the camera it switched on but wouldnt switch off. A trip to Sony confirmed there had been some corrosion of a connector tied to the on/off switch which Sony replaced but at my expense. No complaints really although a little disappointing. It is clear we need to baby these cameras in the rain.

http://www.salintara.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robcoll/

DVT80111 Senior Member • Posts: 2,780
Water + electricity = electrolysis

Corrosion will happen in minute. Even gold plated terminals are not immuned. I had this experience as an engineer.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R II
nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,934

Ken Sky wrote:

I am disappointed with this response of Sony on 2 counts:

If there was an adapter that allowed water in, they should have warned of this possibility in the manual as they tout water sealing in the ads.

If there was no adapter, then there was a clear breach of the weather sealing which they should be responsible for. The only caveat being was this the first & only exposure to water.

Is there any manufacturer that will fix water damage under warranty? I don't think there is any manufacturer warranty that covers water damage even on their weathersealed bodies. i'll be impressed if you find one.

Plus there is no way of proving or dis-proving whether an adapter/3rd party lens (with no sealing) was used or a first party sealed lens was used at the time of damage. Its just one person's word against the other. So no manufacturer will cover such situations.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM +6 more
janist74 Regular Member • Posts: 166

Sorry for your loss. It seems other were luckier:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7hvJTGW4BA

janist74's gear list:janist74's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +12 more
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,472

You don't need a lot of water to damage electronics... sometimes it is just bad luck.

Also, people need to understand the difference between weather sealing/proofing and water sealing/proofing...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha 7 Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
Zapirian
Zapirian Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

biza43 wrote:

Also, people need to understand the difference between weather sealing/proofing and water sealing/proofing...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

And that Sony backtracked on the original weather proofing claim and now just state "moisture/dust resistance".

Zapirian's gear list:Zapirian's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +15 more
Kildras
Kildras Regular Member • Posts: 167

Everytime I read this I feel so terrible.
I had been taking photos under HEAVY rain for around half an hour and doesn't seem have any issue with my a6000.

My a7s with adapted lens took a timelapse in rainy weather under some hood for hours and it worked fine too.
I guess I need to start taking more care with my gear and not putting that much faith anymore
--
Welcome to have a look at my gallery:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7740447566

Still new and learning, any tips would be GREAT

Kildras's gear list:Kildras's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,340

If you want a truly weather sealed camera, get a Pentax K3 with a sealed lens. I use my K5II for bad weather often. If the Sony gets wet, remove battery, lens and put it in a sealed container with rice as soon a possible. Corrosion doesn't happen over night.

-- hide signature --

Dave
A7II Pentax K5ii

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +6 more
machz Regular Member • Posts: 306

I have my A7II out on the boat every weekend while we are wakeboarding and it gets sprayed all the time, So far no problems. I hope it stays that way

machz's gear list:machz's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 1,918

Sorry for the OP, sucks for sure.

It appears bad luck, bit of water entering just the right spot, etc...

Any idea on where the water entered from?

Have heard Canon and Nikon owners taking a splash at an unlikely spot and it frying those cameras too and no coverage since it was water damage.  I shoot by the sea often and recognize I am taking a risk each time.

I would say of the 3 Sony's weather sealing is definitely the weakest but seems luck or unlucky more than the camera can never be exposed to a drop of rain or sea spray.

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 1,038
Re: One of the reasons I still have my Canon gear….

DFPanno wrote:

Ironically Canons are among the most durable and has the best service facilities while Sony is among the least and has the worst.

I don't think anyone can compete with Samyang when it comes to worst service.  Sony may not be the best, but they're certainly not the worst.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads