AF "squeak"; A sign of a dying motor?

Started Jul 9, 2015 | Discussions
ccsnapshot Junior Member • Posts: 48
AF "squeak"; A sign of a dying motor?

I saw a nice Nikon 300 AF-S lens being sold used at a reasonable price, being in great physical condition. However, the seller mentioned that the lens squeaks when focusing. Is this a sign that the AF motor is about to go out? If so, what could I realistically expect to pay to replace the motor if I decide to buy it?

ccsnapshot's gear list:ccsnapshot's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
Bovis Presley
Bovis Presley Senior Member • Posts: 1,210
Re: AF "squeak"; A sign of a dying motor?

most likely

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 4,421

ccsnapshot wrote:

I saw a nice Nikon 300 AF-S lens being sold used at a reasonable price, being in great physical condition. However, the seller mentioned that the lens squeaks when focusing. Is this a sign that the AF motor is about to go out? If so, what could I realistically expect to pay to replace the motor if I decide to buy it?

While it may be "about to go out," my 17-35mm f/2.8 has been squeaking (and autofocusing) since 2010.  But at best, you're buying into a gamble you'll eventually lose.  The most recent prices I've seen quoted for a replacement motor are in the $550-$600 range.

-- hide signature --

Such commentary has become ubiquitous on the Internet and is widely perceived to carry no indicium of reliability and little weight. (Digital Media News v. Escape Media Group, May 2014).

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,205

I have the same lens that just started squeaking.  I cycled the focus with the lens cap on, which gives a full out and back stroke on the focus, about 60 or 70 times..  Now, it only squeaks the first time it's used, then is silent.

There was just a post here a few days ago wherein the poster described having four AF motors replaced in his 300/4 AFS over some 400,000 shots with the lens.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Van Griff Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

ccsnapshot wrote:

cc

Usually a sign of a dying motor . . . but . . . perhaps not . . . read this post . . .

SWM Squealing

Good luck with it!

Best,

V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +30 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985

I've read posts from folks who have had the death squeak their motor squeezing for years and years, so perhaps there's a fairly good chance you'll be able to use it a good bit before a replacement is absolutely required.

My issue was more like the noise was absolutely driving me crazy.  Some people say they don't think much about it, personally I absolutely couldn't stand the noise.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

philm5d Contributing Member • Posts: 873

It's caused by dust that gets between the moving and non moving parts of the af-s autofocussing mechanism and causes resonation. As some have said lenses can go for years without any other problems. Inevitably some lenses will fail and the squeak is haled as the portent of doom which it probably is not.

I had the older 24-120mm which started squeaking a week after I bought it but never gave any other problem.

It seems to be a characteristic of the older style af-s lenses. Any failure is likely coincidental.

chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,824

Can't comment on others "squeak"   my 70-200 VRII developed a squeak about a year into my ownership.  Can't count how many gymnastics/action shots that drove the focus from 10ft to 40-50ft or more.   Worked for years, finally sent it in near the end of the warranty period and its silent now but no difference in focus performance, YMMV.

I read much about the older AF-D that the squeak was a early sign of impending death.   Just make sure you get what a 300-400 discount ?

-- hide signature --

"Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories"

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
JPOwens New Member • Posts: 16

I also have a 17-35 with the well known squeaky focus. I have not heard of a squeaky 300mm, and my 300 is quiet and fast.

Proceed at your own risk.

JPOwens's gear list:JPOwens's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads