hakea Junior Member • Posts: 29
GW-3 accepts screw-in filters?

No text.

Pstmstr Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: GW-3 accepts screw-in filters?

hakea wrote:

Yes, 49 mm

Pstmstr's gear list:Pstmstr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,287
Not 49 mm

Pstmstr wrote:

hakea wrote:

Yes, 49 mm

It does, I'll check and let you know, but it sure isn't 49 mm. Pstmstr mistook your question: 49 mm is the diameter of the mounting thread. I don't know the filter size, but probably 62 or 67 mm. I'll check.

Ned-B
Ned-B Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Re: It is 49mm

Pstmstr wrote:

hakea wrote:

Yes, 49 mm

It does, I'll check and let you know, but it sure isn't 49 mm. Pstmstr mistook your question: 49 mm is the diameter of the mounting thread. I don't know the filter size, but probably 62 or 67 mm. I'll check.

If he's referring to the GH-3 Adapter for the GR (which is needed for attaching the .75 wide angle conversion lens) the filter size is 49mm. I just happen to have my adapter out tonight and it has a Leica E49 UVa filter attached:)

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Cronroe Regular Member • Posts: 103

The 0.75x GW-3 lens takes 62mm filter.

Re: Not 49 mm

rondom wrote:

Pstmstr wrote:

hakea wrote:

Yes, 49 mm

just checked: 62 mm is the FILTER size. Mounting side is 49 mm (to match GH-3)

Ned-B wrote:

Pstmstr wrote:

hakea wrote:

Yes, 49 mm

If he's referring to the GH-3 Adapter for the GR (which is needed for attaching the .75 wide angle conversion lens) the filter size is 49mm. I just happen to have my adapter out tonight and it has a Leica E49 UVa filter attached:)

as brief as the original post is, it is rather clear: does the wide angle lens accepts filters? it does..and it is 62 mm...

interestingly one can use the filter at the wrong end i just tried and it works...of course that would make no sense if the purpose is to protect the front element of the wide angle lens. but if it's a specialty filter you can attach it to gh-3 (just as you said 49 mm) and attach the gw-3 to the filter...i noticed only a very slight vignette...

Ned-B
Re: I'm an idiot :)

rondom wrote:

Ned-B wrote:

Pstmstr wrote:

hakea wrote:

Yes, 49 mm

as brief as the original post is, it is rather clear: does the wide angle lens accepts filters? it does..and it is 62 mm...

interestingly one can use the filter at the wrong end i just tried and it works...of course that would make no sense if the purpose is to protect the front element of the wide angle lens. but if it's a specialty filter you can attach it to gh-3 (just as you said 49 mm) and attach the gw-3 to the filter...i noticed only a very slight vignette...

Sorry, I read the original post too quickly. As I frequently use the GH-3 with a filter and hood when doing our beach walks to counter bright sun and sand, I just assumed he was asking about that filter size.

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
no you're not...

the same happened to me many times, i didn't mean to correct you, i was afraid that the person who asked the question would get a bit confused with all the different answers...

that's a fancy filter, by the way...i don't know if it's the typeface or something but anything with leica on it has class...

M Dennis Fern Regular Member • Posts: 270

By the way... are you happy with the wide angle lens?  I'm interested in ergonomics (how inconvenient it is to carry around and attach) as well as photo quality. What kinds of photos do you take with it?

M Dennis Fern's gear list:M Dennis Fern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sony RX100 Sony a7R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +5 more

M Dennis Fern wrote:

By the way... are you happy with the wide angle lens? I'm interested in ergonomics (how inconvenient it is to carry around and attach) as well as photo quality. What kinds of photos do you take with it?

It's an excellent lens, but I don't use it that much. Unlike what most would prefer it for, I don't like it for architectural photography, because the huge field of view can become extremely deceiving in representing the spatial character of the buildings. I much more prefer it for landscape photography, but I don't have the chance to use it that much. It feels great in the hand, but of course, as soon as you start with the add-ons, you need a suitable bag for all the accessories. The worst aspect of gw-3 is the flimsy and cheaply made hood. I never bother using it. Of course, one needs a back cap, front cap, which are both provided, but you have to make sure not to lose them. I also use a modified Fuji tlc x100, which brings the focal length to 40 mm, and a macro adaptor from raynox which brings down the focusing distance to 5 cm, and they both need the gh-3...so, yes, changing lenses turns into a ritual. With all the front caps and back caps, and step down rings and a uv filter for gh-3, plus the hood for the gh-3 (which by the way, is much better than the gw-3 hood, but I never use that one neither) I ended up with a 10 piece accessory system! And for all that, one needs a good and well organized bag...and I almost forgot, you need to remove the gr's lens ring from the body to attach the gh-3 and make sure not to lose that neither...I am surprised I still have all the pieces!

ranway Forum Member • Posts: 86

It'd be neat to see a shot of your full GR kit laid out on a white background.  And you don't even mention if the kit includes a tripod, optical viewfinder(s), and external flash.

I have a couple GR's and plan on putting a gw3 on one of them and leaving it on there so I don't have to go thru the process of removing it and not losing all those little accessory pieces.

Ned-B
Re: no you're not...

rondom wrote:

the same happened to me many times, i didn't mean to correct you, i was afraid that the person who asked the question would get a bit confused with all the different answers...

that's a fancy filter, by the way...i don't know if it's the typeface or something but anything with leica on it has class...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm glad you corrected me, I generally like to be accurate whenever I post something on forums:) It's a really nice filter optically. It's usually on my 35mm Cron, but certainly does the job when using my adapter and hood on the GR.

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Re: My solution to storing the .75 lens and hood

rondom wrote:

M Dennis Fern wrote:

By the way... are you happy with the wide angle lens? I'm interested in ergonomics (how inconvenient it is to carry around and attach) as well as photo quality. What kinds of photos do you take with it?

It's an excellent lens, but I don't use it that much. Unlike what most would prefer it for, I don't like it for architectural photography, because the huge field of view can become extremely deceiving in representing the spatial character of the buildings. I much more prefer it for landscape photography, but I don't have the chance to use it that much. It feels great in the hand, but of course, as soon as you start with the add-ons, you need a suitable bag for all the accessories. The worst aspect of gw-3 is the flimsy and cheaply made hood. I never bother using it. Of course, one needs a back cap, front cap, which are both provided, but you have to make sure not to lose them. I also use a modified Fuji tlc x100, which brings the focal length to 40 mm, and a macro adaptor from raynox which brings down the focusing distance to 5 cm, and they both need the gh-3...so, yes, changing lenses turns into a ritual. With all the front caps and back caps, and step down rings and a uv filter for gh-3, plus the hood for the gh-3 (which by the way, is much better than the gw-3 hood, but I never use that one neither) I ended up with a 10 piece accessory system! And for all that, one needs a good and well organized bag...and I almost forgot, you need to remove the gr's lens ring from the body to attach the gh-3 and make sure not to lose that neither...I am surprised I still have all the pieces!

Like you, I don't want to just throw the lens and hood in my bag as the soft rubber hood can be deformed quite easily. I found that a small 7oz yogurt container allows me to place the lens, rear cap and hood attached into it with a little room to play. I simply wrap the lens with a soft microfiber cloth so the hood and front element are protected and drop it into my bag. It's worked fine on many trips the past two years.

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
M Dennis Fern Regular Member • Posts: 270

Rondom and Ranway (any real first names?)-- Thanks for your helpful responses. I have trouble keeping track of loose bits and pieces (for example, I lost a really valuable lens shade for a 35mm Cron the other day). I don't think the wide angle lens will be workable for me unless I attach it to a separate body, which I am not planning on buying, and I am trying to avoid carrying a camera bag loaded with equipment when traveling.

My ideal travel camera would be a pocketable GR in size and quality, with a very compact 24-85mm reasonably fast zoom (a fixed aperture of f:/2.8 or faster would be nice), a large sensor, and the ability to use its controls (including the lens) manually when I choose. Am I describing a Sony RX100 IV?  I don't care much about video, though, which is what the RX100 IV is really for.

- Dennis

M Dennis Fern's gear list:M Dennis Fern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sony RX100 Sony a7R Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +5 more

ranway wrote:

It'd be neat to see a shot of your full GR kit laid out on a white background. And you don't even mention if the kit includes a tripod, optical viewfinder(s), and external flash.

I have a couple GR's and plan on putting a gw3 on one of them and leaving it on there so I don't have to go thru the process of removing it and not losing all those little accessory pieces.

Yes, a second gr is a good idea. If not for accessories, just to be on the safe side. I found myself waiting for the service center more than once, and it is not fun. And yes, I do also have tripod (gorilla hybrid) which I like, and a voigtlander 28 mm viewfinder, but I don't use them that much. Sometimes when I leave home with just the GR, it feels so much better and liberating!

Of course, if you are familiar with my GR 40 mm modification thread, my GR requires a lens cap for regular use too! a small price to pay! My gallery here has few pictures.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55926904

Ned-B wrote:

rondom wrote:

the same happened to me many times, i didn't mean to correct you, i was afraid that the person who asked the question would get a bit confused with all the different answers...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm glad you corrected me, I generally like to be accurate whenever I post something on forums:) It's a really nice filter optically. It's usually on my 35mm Cron, but certainly does the job when using my adapter and hood on the GR.

No problem at all...besides you were not even wrong! Just answering a different question I have a multi coated uv filter from Hoya. It looks like it doesn't do anything beyond protecting the lens, and I assume that's what you mean by "optically nice filter". Mine, doesn't cause any additional flare, ghost etc even when using in harsh conditions.

M Dennis Fern wrote:

Rondom and Ranway (any real first names?)-- Thanks for your helpful responses. I have trouble keeping track of loose bits and pieces (for example, I lost a really valuable lens shade for a 35mm Cron the other day). I don't think the wide angle lens will be workable for me unless I attach it to a separate body, which I am not planning on buying, and I am trying to avoid carrying a camera bag loaded with equipment when traveling.

My ideal travel camera would be a pocketable GR in size and quality, with a very compact 24-85mm reasonably fast zoom (a fixed aperture of f:/2.8 or faster would be nice), a large sensor, and the ability to use its controls (including the lens) manually when I choose. Am I describing a Sony RX100 IV? I don't care much about video, though, which is what the RX100 IV is really for.

- Dennis

Sorry Dendom, no real names

sorry to hear about the lens shade. I assume one can get a 35 mm lens for the price of a cron shade! But still better than losing the real thing, and it did happen to me once with a 35 mm nikkor and it hurts to remember. (Was stolen) I was never able to use the lens shades from Ricoh in an effective way. The 21 shade is a useless garbage. The 28 shade which comes with the gh-3 is nicely made and good looking, for sure, but it hasn't helped me at all in challenging light conditions. Others may have a different experience. So the shades remain at home.

as of your camera quest: I have used the rx100 briefly. The UI is not fun if you are coming from gr, but one gets used to it rather quickly. But I am not a fan of zoom lenses, not because of the optical quality- some of them are very good, and that would include the rx100, but it just confuses me, and I prefer to stick a lens and "think and see" through a single focal length at a time. Of course a quality zoom lens would be very practical, and rx100 is a tiny camera. Much smaller than the lumix compact.

Neat...brilliant...low fat?

Ned-B

Neat...brilliant...low fat?

2%

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads