bulb mode - buffer... loads up - no shutter - bad for fireworks

Started Jul 4, 2015 | Discussions
orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
bulb mode - buffer... loads up - no shutter - bad for fireworks

bulb mode - excited to head out for fireworks with new a7ii

used to nikon d800e - when in bulb mode - a person can simply blast away - buffer writes to memory card... until battery bis dead or memory card is full...

i have been testing bulb mode with a7ii   -  things are very different it seems...

seems with each actuation - you are prevented for a long time - seems twice as long as exposure from activating that next shutter release..
so if you are taking 15 second exposures - a person can take maybe 3 to 4 shots every 2 minns...?

with fireworks - it is bam bam bam shot after shot fast shooting in bulb mode

maybe i have something set wrong that is making this a real bummer for fireworks?

-- hide signature --

Phillip "Iggy" Murphy http://phillipmurphy.com
ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

Nikon D800E Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
moffatross
moffatross Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
long exposure noise reduction ...

... switch it off

orchidblooms
OP orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
Re: long exposure noise reduction ...

suggesting using other than bulb mode??

i have never used other than bulb mode for fireworks....

will be an interesting evening...

this alone could be cause to keep the nikon body for certain things...

ill report back in morning - see how the flow goes once i get used to this.

p

-- hide signature --

ILM Sandra Murphy - "The Orchid Lady" http://orchidblooms.com

moffatross
moffatross Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
Re: long exposure noise reduction ...

No, go into the menu and switch off 'long exposure noise reduction' and continue to use bulb mode (or whatever). Your problem will be solved ... the A7II will then behave like your Nikon camera

Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010
Re: bulb mode - buffer... loads up - no shutter - bad for fireworks

Just to explain what's happening - by default, on long exposures (greater than 2 or 3 seconds I think?) the camera engages long exposure noise reduction. This runs a second exposure with the shutter closed, and then uses that second frame to noise reduce the first frame by identifying hot pixels and the like. This optimizes the results, but at the cost  of considerable time, as you noticed.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,713

orchidblooms wrote:

used to nikon d800e - when in bulb mode - a person can simply blast away - buffer writes to memory card... until battery bis dead or memory card is full...

i have been testing bulb mode with a7ii - things are very different it seems...

seems with each actuation - you are prevented for a long time - seems twice as long as exposure from activating that next shutter release..
so if you are taking 15 second exposures - a person can take maybe 3 to 4 shots every 2 minns...?

maybe i have something set wrong that is making this a real bummer for fireworks?

You already know about LENR. Bulb mode also makes the a7II a 12 bit camera and introduces some spatial filtering.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010

JimKasson wrote:

orchidblooms wrote:

You already know about LENR. Bulb mode also makes the a7II a 12 bit camera and introduces some spatial filtering.

Have you encountered any situations where this is a practical problem?

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
JimKasson

Promit wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

orchidblooms wrote:

The 12 bit issue is accompanied by increased read noise, and will affect the sky in fireworks photos. AFAIK, the main effect of the spatial filtering is on astro-photography.

Jim

-- hide signature --
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,818

JimKasson wrote:

Promit wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

orchidblooms wrote:

The 12 bit issue is accompanied by increased read noise, and will affect the sky in fireworks photos.

You mean the sky won't be black anymore? How sad:) Actually, the second exposure (dark frame) is designed to eliminate random noise (and of course you know that). The fact that it doubles exposure time is what it is. I can't imagine 12 bit affecting a firework display. By the way, there are hundreds and hundreds of good folks picnicking under their tents and blankets here in Payson, sitting there with their coolers half empty waiting for the firework show . . . and it is raining like crazy. Win some, lose some. My weather station says .18 inches and counting. Forecast was for no rain. Blame it on El Nino.

AFAIK, the main effect of the spatial filtering is on astro-photography.

Jim

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +22 more
JimKasson

Steve Bingham wrote:

Blame it on El Nino.

We can only hope.

Jim

-- hide signature --
JimKasson

Steve Bingham wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

The 12 bit issue is accompanied by increased read noise, and will affect the sky in fireworks photos.

You mean the sky won't be black anymore? How sad:)

Steve, I now live in the Monterey Bay area. Fog is the usual summer evening weather. I used to live in the SF Bay area, where fog was often the summer weather. Therefore I haven't had recent experience with fireworks photographs. But I do remember that it looked unnatural if you raised the black point to drop the entirety of the sky to 0/0/0. Therefore, you had to deal with read noise. And it really looked weird if part of the sky had no noise and part had some.

Actually, the second exposure (dark frame) is designed to eliminate random noise (and of course you know that).

The second exposure only reduces pattern noise that is correlated from exposure to exposure. It actually causes uncorrelated read noise to increase by a factor of 1.414.

Jim

-- hide signature --
orchidblooms
OP orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

here it is...

seems to work fine - 
no problems

-- hide signature --