Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD vs Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM II....??

Started Jul 2, 2015 | Discussions
Nickels Regular Member • Posts: 458
Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD vs Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM II....??

I read about the Tamron being really impressive and quite a bit cheaper. Price doesn't always matter to me,as I like to maintain product name throughout my equipment, but is it comparable? Anyone fancy it?

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,891
Re: Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD vs Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM II....??

Nickels wrote:

I read about the Tamron being really impressive and quite a bit cheaper. Price doesn't always matter to me,as I like to maintain product name throughout my equipment, but is it comparable? Anyone fancy it?

As someone who has traditionally stuck with Canon-brand lenses, it was a really big deal when I auditioned and purchased Tamron's 150-600 lens. Because I wanted a super-telephoto for personal rather than professional use, I didn't want to break the bank; Tamron's offering seemed to promise high performance at a bargain price.

Inspired by the superb results from the 150-600, I decided to explore Tamron's 24-70 f2.8 VC. Reviews were exceptional. The price was nice. And indeed, in person it is a very impressive lens. I really WANTED to like it, in fact. And indeed, it did really seem to deliver in terms of optical quality.

But there was one problem: stabilization interfered with performance. Specifically, when the shutter button was pressed halfway, the VC would activate and take nearly a full-second to actually stabilize. When it did, there was always a little "jump" in the image, from non-stabilized to stabilized. If the shutter was snapped before the "jump", the image would have motion blur... not from me, but from the lens itself! I explored all sorts of solutions and techniques to make it work for me, but it was clear that in order to use this lens, one had to play by the rules and not snap the shutter until after the VC delay. Sadly, I had to return the lens.

If this particular lens did not behave this way, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Otherwise, it is a fabulous lens that offers a wonderful alternative to the Canon. I'll certainly be looking for an update that addresses this characteristic of the lens in the future.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,256

Nickels wrote:

This subject came up fairly often in earlier threads. The upshot is that the Tamron is a bargain if you get a good copy. There seems to be some difficulty in getting a perfect copy, however.

But the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II is still better, even if it costs quite a bit more. If you have deep pockets, get it. The sharpness, contrast and resistance to flare--even shooting directly into bright lights--is stunning.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 11-24mm F4L +3 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

Hotdog already hit it. IF you get a good copy. Do a search here and on the third party forum for the nightmare stories. Some people are happy after their 5th copy (my story with a Tamron), some never got one that could focus properly. And focus seems to be the main issue.

What I can say about the EF 24-70/2.8 II is I'm really glad I held out and got it instead as the Tamron was on my short list.

The lens is perfect. All the good stuff you hear about it is true, and then some. The AF is spot on all the time.

If you want to go the Tamron route and are ok with having to possibly test and exchange the lens more than once, it can be an excellent alternative. You'll never have the consistency of focus even once you've got a good copy - but it will be close.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +37 more
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,240

I have the Tamron and I really like it.  The Canon is better, but the Tamron I have is quite sharp.  Focusing is good, but not quite as fast or as accurate as the 24-105 that I used to have.  It's not slow by any means, but just a touch behind USM fast.  The VC is really awesome to have.  I have not had the delay like some others have had, but that doesn't mean that some lenses don't do it.  One thing I have loved about Tamron is their warranty service.  They have been incredibly quick and helpful with my lens and when it came back it was sharper than before.  Super great service and a long warranty.

I think you should look at the Tamron if the price matters to you and if you need IS.  If neither of those are important, get the Canon.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2
joe12 Regular Member • Posts: 129

I have no problems with the Tamron. I haven't noticed any of the issues mentioned here. I have several L primes and was pleasantly suprised buying this as my first zoom. The stabilization is one of the reasons I chose this over the Canon. So you should get the Canon. Why? Because when decide to upgrade your body to a mirrorless with in body stabilization... You won't need it on the lens.

grammieb14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,675

I took a long time deciding on a 24-70.  I used the 24-105 for a long time because I wanted is, but I also wanted 2.8.  The Canon 24-70 2.8 doesn't have is, but otherwise is an excellent lens.  I want reliable af & I don't want to try out 3 copies of a lens to get good af.  I use good technique & sometimes a monopod instead of is & got the Canon.  Bab

grammieb14's gear list:grammieb14's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 +39 more
Eliot Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 998

My copy of Tamron is not really that sharp and has focusing 'difficulties' and many pictures our not well focused. Also my copy has a strong center to periphery resolution drop off so that peripheral objects are pretty soft but the center is amazingly sharp (when everything is perfect).

I am not impressed with AF on this lens at all even with microfocus adjustments, the AF is making random small errors and not hitting the focus spot on.

Tried a rental "abused" copy of Canon and it was amazing and clearly able to stand up to the test of being shipped and used by different users over and over.

Eliot Kramer's gear list:Eliot Kramer's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
dachshund7 Contributing Member • Posts: 643

I bought the Tamron based on its specs as being very close to the Canon, and I had a good copy that was perfectly sharp. I didn't like the slow startup with engaging the IS, and most of all I found the zoom ring very stiff. On a Canon lens I can zoom with one finger, it's that smooth. I had to grab the Tamron with my full hand, and it was impossible to zoom without moving the lens off of the subject. I've decided that for the photography I want to do I need a 24-70, so I'm saving for the Canon.

Landscapeforfun Contributing Member • Posts: 707

The 24-70 from Tamron has great IQ but seems to have some serious QC issues. Tamron has upped its game significantly since that lens, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 150-600 or the 15-30. The 24-70 will simply require either more work or more luck to get the same quality. If you get a fully working copy with no problems then it is a great deal, it just may take 5-6 copies to get there.

Landscapeforfun's gear list:Landscapeforfun's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Nickels wrote:

As someone who has traditionally stuck with Canon-brand lenses, it was a really big deal when I auditioned and purchased Tamron's 150-600 lens. Because I wanted a super-telephoto for personal rather than professional use, I didn't want to break the bank; Tamron's offering seemed to promise high performance at a bargain price.

Inspired by the superb results from the 150-600, I decided to explore Tamron's 24-70 f2.8 VC. Reviews were exceptional. The price was nice. And indeed, in person it is a very impressive lens. I really WANTED to like it, in fact. And indeed, it did really seem to deliver in terms of optical quality.

But there was one problem: stabilization interfered with performance. Specifically, when the shutter button was pressed halfway, the VC would activate and take nearly a full-second to actually stabilize. When it did, there was always a little "jump" in the image, from non-stabilized to stabilized. If the shutter was snapped before the "jump", the image would have motion blur... not from me, but from the lens itself! I explored all sorts of solutions and techniques to make it work for me, but it was clear that in order to use this lens, one had to play by the rules and not snap the shutter until after the VC delay. Sadly, I had to return the lens.

Did you try a different copy?

I ask, because of my experience with the Tamron 70-300. I went through 4 copies (summer 2012) before getting a good 5th a year and a half later.

One thing I noticed - and had been mentioned a lot in the forums was the way the VC acted, the same as you describe. It would do a little "jump" and then stabilize. Reminded me of a slide dropping in the carousel. Besides the time it took, I thought it was disconcerting. Many people here took it as a sign that it was working, and liked it. I admit - you do see it working when it goes from shaky to still.

Anyway, after copy #4 (I had a 60D, so  I wouldn't tolerate front/back focus - or err 01 messages and no response) I gave up. I figured I'd try again after a long break - to get as far away from that last batch as possible.

The first thing I noticed when I started shooting was that the VC no longer did the little jump. There's the slightest twitch (side to side it seems), but nothing like the previous 4 copies. I had just gotten to expect that. I mentioned it on the third party forum but nobody had anything to say about it.

I've heard from a few people though that there seems to be some variation with the VC. Since I just sent my 150-600 in for a firmware update to fix the VC, perhaps (as I just mentioned to somebody below regarding their AF consistency) a firmware update could solve your problem? Unfortunately, Tamron doesn't seem to admit to problems unless they're really bad.

Anyway, I don't know if Tamron changed their actual VC, or more likely made it behave differently through firmware - but it's a possibility and something you might consider. If you bought a new one tomorrow - in theory it should have the latest firmware give or take 2-3 months. If you get the same problem then return it!

If this particular lens did not behave this way, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Otherwise, it is a fabulous lens that offers a wonderful alternative to the Canon. I'll certainly be looking for an update that addresses this characteristic of the lens in the future.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +37 more
MutantLabs Regular Member • Posts: 194

All the rings on the lens work the other way round (compared to Canon's lenses) and are even placed differently. I am old and I like to work fast, so I striked it off my list because of this and went for the EF 24-70/2.8 II USM, which I consider a "as good as it gets" lens.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/mutantlabs

MutantLabs's gear list:MutantLabs's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS RP +7 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,891

victorian squid wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Nickels wrote:

Inspired by the superb results from the 150-600, I decided to explore Tamron's 24-70 f2.8 VC. Reviews were exceptional. The price was nice. And indeed, in person it is a very impressive lens. I really WANTED to like it, in fact. And indeed, it did really seem to deliver in terms of optical quality.

Did you try a different copy?

I ask, because of my experience with the Tamron 70-300. I went through 4 copies (summer 2012) before getting a good 5th a year and a half later.

One thing I noticed - and had been mentioned a lot in the forums was the way the VC acted, the same as you describe. It would do a little "jump" and then stabilize. Reminded me of a slide dropping in the carousel. Besides the time it took, I thought it was disconcerting. Many people here took it as a sign that it was working, and liked it. I admit - you do see it working when it goes from shaky to still.

Anyway, after copy #4 (I had a 60D, so I wouldn't tolerate front/back focus - or err 01 messages and no response) I gave up. I figured I'd try again after a long break - to get as far away from that last batch as possible.

The first thing I noticed when I started shooting was that the VC no longer did the little jump. There's the slightest twitch (side to side it seems), but nothing like the previous 4 copies. I had just gotten to expect that. I mentioned it on the third party forum but nobody had anything to say about it.

I've heard from a few people though that there seems to be some variation with the VC. Since I just sent my 150-600 in for a firmware update to fix the VC, perhaps (as I just mentioned to somebody below regarding their AF consistency) a firmware update could solve your problem? Unfortunately, Tamron doesn't seem to admit to problems unless they're really bad.

Anyway, I don't know if Tamron changed their actual VC, or more likely made it behave differently through firmware - but it's a possibility and something you might consider. If you bought a new one tomorrow - in theory it should have the latest firmware give or take 2-3 months. If you get the same problem then return it!

After the experience, I simply bought the Canon 17-55 and didn't look back. The first one sent worked great, and even came up twice with a perfect score on our 7DII with Reikan FoCal.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
RJayP
RJayP Junior Member • Posts: 29

victorian squid wrote:

Hotdog already hit it. IF you get a good copy. Do a search here and on the third party forum for the nightmare stories. Some people are happy after their 5th copy (my story with a Tamron), some never got one that could focus properly. And focus seems to be the main issue.

What I can say about the EF 24-70/2.8 II is I'm really glad I held out and got it instead as the Tamron was on my short list.

The lens is perfect. All the good stuff you hear about it is true, and then some. The AF is spot on all the time.

If you want to go the Tamron route and are ok with having to possibly test and exchange the lens more than once, it can be an excellent alternative. You'll never have the consistency of focus even once you've got a good copy - but it will be close.

I was in the same debate a month ago, after reading several threads I decided on the Canon and couldn't be happier.  It is super sharp from edge to edge and the color/contrast is amazing.  The canon is more money but I recommend calling adorama and asking for their best price.  I got my copy for $1729 plus the $100 mail-in rebate so after rebate it wasn't too much more than the Tamron

RJayP's gear list:RJayP's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads