First pictures of NX Mini 2

Started Jun 24, 2015 | Discussions
xarafan Regular Member • Posts: 140
First pictures of NX Mini 2

I'm a Nikon 1-user, but when I was looking for cameras with 1"-sensor at a Dutch camera webshop, I noticed an entree for the Samsung NX Mini 2-camera with pre-order possibility. So I think it will be announced officially very soon...

A few things I noticed about the new camera:

• stereo audio
  • 4K-video
  • sensor seems the same one as in the current NX Mini
  • super amoled display instead of lcd (resolution of new screen unknown)
  • retractable flash in body (indirect flash seems possible)
  • external flash connector removed
  • DirectLink-button disappeared. On/off-button gone to the back, next to new flash-button
  • D-pad now with scrollwheel (!)
  • 1820mAh-battery/400 shots (instead of 2330mAh/650 shots for NX Mini)
  • separate door for battery and connectors
  • metal rings on both sides for neck strap (instead of compactcamera style wrist strap provision)
  • marking for sensor plane on top
  • more 'manly' styling...
  • and last but not least ... interchangeable front...

See for yourself:

black or red front today? Hmmm, all that choice...

Comparison NX Mini 2 and NX Mini from the back

Comparison NX Mini 2 and NX Mini from the top

Comparison NX Mini 2 and NX Mini front

xarafan's gear list:xarafan's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Samsung NX mini
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
0730ts Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: First pictures of NX Mini 2

Very interesting but not much difference from the original mini, which is an underrated camera in my opinion.  I was hoping for a major redesigned body similar to EX2F.  But at least they haven't abandoned the mini completely.

0730ts's gear list:0730ts's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
OP xarafan Regular Member • Posts: 140

I agree. They are refinements to the original design, but nothing earthshattering of a big step forward. Samsung could use more 'tiers' in de NX Mini-lineup...

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
vatazhka
vatazhka Regular Member • Posts: 355

Thanks! Links:

It seems that this is just a small refreshment of "the ladycam" - no new lenses, same sensor, etc. The only big thing seems to be 4K video (Thanks to DRIMe Vs - same as in NX500.). I hoped for OSPDAF and/or new NX-M lenses, but there are still up to 35 focus points (in the close-up mode) and still the same "kit" lenses - in new colours, though

I kind of expected a new NX-M camera soon after I saw NX mini being dumped at crazy prices... Let's wait for the NX50 now

-- hide signature --

Check here if your Samsung NX / NX mini camera & lens firmware is up to date!

vatazhka's gear list:vatazhka's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
mdavidp Senior Member • Posts: 2,418

Thank you.

I am glad Samsung is keeping the line alive.

I like the mini alot.

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R
monkeybrain Regular Member • Posts: 424

Seems like a sensible update and I'm also glad the Mini is still alive. I still think Samsung need to have a faster pancake lens to go with this to make it more appealing and pocketable. I was put off buying it as with the kit zoom it's no longer pocketable (may as well just take a larger NX).

monkeybrain's gear list:monkeybrain's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100
p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,998

Instead of making a new camera Samsung should create more lenses. Its the same with the regular NX, more and more cams, but no lenses.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

BernardoAdam
BernardoAdam Regular Member • Posts: 261

4K - Video and H264? Yes they can....

I can underline we need more lenses, specially 100-300/400mm soooooon. Thank you Samsung -

정말 감사합니다

BernardoAdam's gear list:BernardoAdam's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Samsung NX3000 Sony a7 IV Sony a7R V Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +9 more
Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,264

Still no grip.

Jeff Style Contributing Member • Posts: 918

Skipper494 wrote:

Still no grip.

I'm guessing the flat front is a design choice to keep it clean and simple looking. I have seen quite a few "complaints" that the flat design makes it harder to confidently hold, although the light weight helps mitigate that. I'm sure they could put a slight hump on it for a little more of a grip, and then use that to add a slightly bigger battery

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Samsung NX300 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Sony a7 IV Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
Marconi63 Regular Member • Posts: 136

4K, i dont care about...everything else, meh, we need more lenses though, i agree with previous posters...and smaller battery as well in mini 2, another meh...but, i do respect dedication to the mini line...i think too much resources are put into 4K thing but it looks like all the rage at the moment...it seems like people are more concerned about video these days...

and i don't see metal clips on both sides for neck strap, only one metal ring on the right side, meaning it is still a wrist strap solution only?

Marconi63's gear list:Marconi63's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Fujifilm X10 Samsung NX mini
OP xarafan Regular Member • Posts: 140

I only saw the metal ring on one photo and I assumed that it was also on the other side. (Note to self: never assume, always double check... )

Peadingle
Peadingle Senior Member • Posts: 1,326

Interesting, but still no fully articulating screen, so it won't be replacing my EX1.

Peadingle's gear list:Peadingle's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
yonsarh Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

NX Mini 2 is probably the cheapest 4k camera available on the market when they release.

mike geier
mike geier Senior Member • Posts: 2,249

there are NO metal rings on both sides. Same as NX mini, only on one side

mike geier's gear list:mike geier's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 +13 more
geo444
geo444 Contributing Member • Posts: 539
... Will the Mini 2 get the new 'Stacked' CMos from Sony ?
 geo444's gear list:geo444's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Pentax K-5 Samsung NX mini +9 more
Chris62 Contributing Member • Posts: 693
Re: ... Will the Mini 2 get the new 'Stacked' CMos from Sony ?

I wish NX mini body similrar to NX30 body style (but smaller) and zoom 22-600 mm.

It could be great competition to FZ1000 or Canon G3X

Additional pros is the full adapter for NX lenses.

Then 85/F1,4 could be tele 220/F1,4.

For this body Samsung should create a power zoom-  flat when not working.

Chris62's gear list:Chris62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
vatazhka
vatazhka Regular Member • Posts: 355

Chris62 wrote:

I wish NX mini body similrar to NX30 body style (but smaller) and zoom 22-600 mm.

It could be great competition to FZ1000 or Canon G3X

Additional pros is the full adapter for NX lenses.

Then 85/F1,4 could be tele 220/F1,4.

For this body Samsung should create a power zoom- flat when not working.

You propose to change Samsung NX mini into Nikon 1 V4? I think that extending NX mini range would not be a wise move at the moment, as the NX mini managed to spark a very limited interest in the NX enthusiasts community (as could be seen e.g. in this forum).

However, I am in the minority which bought NX mini exactly for the purpose of using it with adapted NX lenses. I must admit that even the relatively small/light tele lens, which 50-200mm is, feels awkward on such a compact body. In my opinion, NX mini would benefit from adding a slightly pronounced grip. Nonetheless, I understand that it is unlikely to be implemented as I'm not among the intended audience of this product.

I also agree that the standard zoom lens needs to be more compact - perhaps it could be achieved room with a somewhat reduced focal range, say 9-17mm? I only bought the NX mini body because I think that the 9-27mm zoom is too large for it to be a compact option to eg. NX3000 with 16-50mm PZ lens. Also the 9mm pancake was not an option as it does not have a filter thread, does not have OIS and offers rather average IQ (unlike the NX pancakes).

TL;DR: Too few people are interested in attaching NX lenses to NX mini in order to differentiate the camera bodies. More compact NX-M lenses would be welcome.

-- hide signature --

Check here if your Samsung NX / NX mini camera & lens firmware is up to date!

vatazhka's gear list:vatazhka's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
mdavidp Senior Member • Posts: 2,418

Vatazhka,

You really need to try the 9-27mm.

Remarkably sharper than 9mm., 17mm. and has OIs.

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

The RX100 IV is a staggering £849 in the UK. What relevance is this to an NX Mini? All this Sony technology comes at a massive price and the sensor probably still overheats with extended video.

It always intrigues me how the RX100 is relentlessly plugged in other brand forums. Sony have still not cleared their stock of Mk I's so I suppose they have to keep the pressure up. Why anyone would spend $1,000 on a half sized sensor locked in to a kit lens reach when they can get an aps-c camera for 1/3 of the price is baffling. The NX Mini does at least represent value for money.

geo444 wrote:

the link to keep an eye on : Low-Light studio Test to be completed this week :

www.dpreview.com/articles/9018289765/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-iv-added-to-studio-test-scene-comparison

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads