Can't Connect to "Camera Connect" with G1X Mk II or G7X over Wi-Fi

Started Jun 16, 2015 | Discussions
law_kid Regular Member • Posts: 115
Can't Connect to "Camera Connect" with G1X Mk II or G7X over Wi-Fi

So Canon's "Camera Window" software worked well on my Android phone, but when I got the notice that they were moving to the "Camera Connect" program, I downloaded that to my phone. Since then, whenever I try to connect my phone and camera via the phone's WiFi, it won't work.

The camera sends out the Wi-Fi network signal, and I connect to that network with my phone, but when I open the software on the phone and try to download pics, it tells me that I need to "Operate the Camera to Establish a Connection."  I can't connect.  Moreover, opearting the camera in any way at that point causes the camera to come out of Wi-Fi mode (disconnecting from my phone) and resume a normal shooting mode.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a possibel solution to suggest? I uninstalled both programs from my phone and then reinstalled the Camera Connect.  This is happening with BOTH my G1X Mk II and my G7X.  Thanks.

law_kid's gear list:law_kid's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +6 more
Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
4xdog Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: Can't Connect to "Camera Connect" with G1X Mk II or G7X over Wi-Fi

If I haven't done it for a while, I have to remind myself connecting my G1Xmkii or G7X to my iPhone 5S a two-step process. First one has to connect using the wifi menu in "Settings", and then connect again using Canon Camera Connect.

I keep wanting to do it all through Camera Connect without first going into Settings.

4xdog's gear list:4xdog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M3 +12 more
NWT Contributing Member • Posts: 744

I also have difficulty to connect the camera to my phone. However, the software is so pathetically limited, I have no desire to sort it out and have not missed it.

4xdog Contributing Member • Posts: 556

NWT wrote:

...the software is so pathetically limited, I have no desire to sort it out and have not missed it.

I use it for adding GPS coordinates to images (when I'm someplace where that info will be useful).

4xdog's gear list:4xdog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M3 +12 more
carolling New Member • Posts: 2

yes exactly the same problem i've been having.  i was okay with camera window until they changed it to camera connect.  i don't know if the problem is the phone or the camera and i don't know what to do anymore. please help.

Tihi New Member • Posts: 1

I am having exactly the same problem.

Has  anyone with the same issue been able to connect to G7X?
(I have Android 7.0  (oxygen 4.0.3) installed on my phone)

NWT Contributing Member • Posts: 744

I find using "Camera Access Point Mode" is more reliable.  If the camera select a Wi-Fi network automatically, choose Switch Network to select Camera Access Point Mode.

Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531

law_kid wrote:

So Canon's "Camera Window" software worked well on my Android phone, but when I got the notice that they were moving to the "Camera Connect" program, I downloaded that to my phone. Since then, whenever I try to connect my phone and camera via the phone's WiFi, it won't work.

The camera sends out the Wi-Fi network signal, and I connect to that network with my phone, but when I open the software on the phone and try to download pics, it tells me that I need to "Operate the Camera to Establish a Connection." I can't connect. Moreover, opearting the camera in any way at that point causes the camera to come out of Wi-Fi mode (disconnecting from my phone) and resume a normal shooting mode.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a possibel solution to suggest? I uninstalled both programs from my phone and then reinstalled the Camera Connect. This is happening with BOTH my G1X Mk II and my G7X. Thanks.

I too, am finding the Camera Connect to be very fussy.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not, even with un-installing/re-installing followed by poking around thru the settings of both the camera and the smart-dumbphone.

Most recently, the Camera Connect software throws an error msg stating "Unfortunately,  Camera Connect has stopped."

It's all designed to test and grow our patience,  methinks....lol.....

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Chaplain Mark

Chaplain Mark wrote:

law_kid wrote:

The camera sends out the Wi-Fi network signal, and I connect to that network with my phone, but when I open the software on the phone and try to download pics, it tells me that I need to "Operate the Camera to Establish a Connection." I can't connect. Moreover, opearting the camera in any way at that point causes the camera to come out of Wi-Fi mode (disconnecting from my phone) and resume a normal shooting mode.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have a possibel solution to suggest? I uninstalled both programs from my phone and then reinstalled the Camera Connect. This is happening with BOTH my G1X Mk II and my G7X. Thanks.

I too, am finding the Camera Connect to be very fussy.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not, even with un-installing/re-installing followed by poking around thru the settings of both the camera and the smart-dumbphone.

Most recently, the Camera Connect software throws an error msg stating "Unfortunately, Camera Connect has stopped."

It's all designed to test and grow our patience, methinks....lol.....

........and then again, yesterday the wi-fi worked just fine...connected quickly and images transferred quickly.....

Go figure....!!

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark

yonny10 Forum Member • Posts: 76

+1

I too cannot connect my G1XII to the new software. I've just carried on with the old version.

yonny10's gear list:yonny10's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
Chaplain Mark

yonny10 wrote:

+1

I too cannot connect my G1XII to the new software. I've just carried on with the old version.

yonny,

I would like to carry on with the old version, but have found it will not function past the opening screen.

Any tips on how to use the old Camera Window app?

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark

yonny10 Forum Member • Posts: 76

I would like to carry on with the old version, but have found it will not function past the opening screen.

No idea I'm afraid bud.

I tried and tried to connect to the new software but I just couldn't. When I opened the old software it just carried on working, no problems.

Sorry, can't help!

yonny10's gear list:yonny10's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
Chaplain Mark

yonny10 wrote:

No idea I'm afraid bud.

I tried and tried to connect to the new software but I just couldn't. When I opened the old software it just carried on working, no problems.

Sorry, can't help!

Lol...okay, thanks anyway...!!

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark

renodcc Regular Member • Posts: 132

My G1X2 connects and I can take 1 picture remotely before is disconnnects. Does not work with the older software either. I had assumed my camera was busted in some way.

renodcc's gear list:renodcc's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads