Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1

Started Jun 16, 2015 | Discussions
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1
24

Lightroom CC just added a Dehaze slider. People like me with Lightroom 6.1 don't get this. However the Dehaze functionality is still in there, so it can process images with CC sidecars. This means you can Dehaze an image if you want to, it's just more of a pain.

Here's what I did:

Hit the + on the Presets menu (repeatedly) and create presets called Dehaze0, Dehaze10 .. Dehaze50 (or whatever). Note only save the Effects settings. Edit each one in a text editor. Remove all lines in the "settings =" section except:
Dehaze = 0,
EnableEffects = true,
ProcessVersion = "6.7",
Then change the first one to suit the Preset name. Allowed values are -100 to 100, settings below 0 add Fog to the image.

(Note you don't want to just copy and edit one saved preset as they have unique IDs and creating them in Lightroom generates those.)

Enjoy!

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a go to see if I can make it work for me.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

When is it "Okay" to be mean, petty or unethical?
-
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

 Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
OP Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
User presets location
1

Oh, sorry, I probably should have said... the User Presets are stored at C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets - or other drive letter as applicable - and are just text files, so Notepad/Wordpad is fine.

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Thanks!

Neat discovery.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,573
Re: Thanks!
2

Or download the free Prolost Dehaze presets. http://prolost.com/blog/dehaze

-- hide signature --

George

 gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +1 more
halcon
halcon Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: User presets location

Dr_Jon wrote:

Oh, sorry, I probably should have said... the User Presets are stored at C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets - or other drive letter as applicable - and are just text files, so Notepad/Wordpad is fine.

Thanks, I  have LR6 and wanted something like this.  Appreciate this...

-nick

 halcon's gear list:halcon's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
nor70 Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Thanks!

Thanks for the link George, much appreciated.

I’ve downloaded the presets and am looking forward to installing and giving them a try later today, regards

Antony John Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1

Both the Prolost and 'manual' methods certainly work.

I assume this gives identical functionality to the Dehaze in CC?

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem - or not ...

 Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D810 +22 more
OP Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1

It's the same result, but you don't get a slider so it's more fiddly, having to apply the correction via a preset.

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
OP Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Re: Thanks!
1

Yup, looks like he's doing the same think I'm doing, except supplying pre-made presets rather than instructions on how to roll your own. He will want an e-mail address and phone number though, so I didn't bother downloading them to see exactly what was in his presets. Fancy posting the contents of a random one here?

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Antony John Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1
2

Dr_Jon wrote:

It's the same result, but you don't get a slider so it's more fiddly, having to apply the correction via a preset.

Thank you for the information!

I'd rather 'fiddle' than be stuck with 'my head in the clouds'.

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem - or not ...

 Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D810 +22 more
OP Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Dehaze in ACR 9.1/PS CS6

I also worked out how to do it in ACR 9.1 and Photoshop CS6, see here for the post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56001178

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
halcon
halcon Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1
2

Thanks Jon, it works!   I just made a; 0,10,25,50,75 and 100.  I always wanted this function.  I am still smiling....

-- hide signature --

-nick

 halcon's gear list:halcon's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
skineedog New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1

I cannot seem to get this to work but I think I know why. Hoping someone here can clarify:

I have LR 6 not 6.1. When I check for updates, Adobe app manager reports the software is up to date.

Can anyone verify if this is why I cannot get this Dehaze "trick" to work AND whether I should have an update to 6.1 or 6.01.

If there is in fact an update, any idea why it's not showing up for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

christom
christom Senior Member • Posts: 3,518
LOL Awesome

Dr_Jon wrote:

Lightroom CC just added a Dehaze slider. People like me with Lightroom 6.1 don't get this. However the Dehaze functionality is still in there, so it can process images with CC sidecars. This means you can Dehaze an image if you want to, it's just more of a pain.

Here's what I did:

Hit the + on the Presets menu (repeatedly) and create presets called Dehaze0, Dehaze10 .. Dehaze50 (or whatever). Note only save the Effects settings. Edit each one in a text editor. Remove all lines in the "settings =" section except:
Dehaze = 0,
EnableEffects = true,
ProcessVersion = "6.7",
Then change the first one to suit the Preset name. Allowed values are -100 to 100, settings below 0 add Fog to the image.

(Note you don't want to just copy and edit one saved preset as they have unique IDs and creating them in Lightroom generates those.)

Enjoy!

LOL. That's awesome. I have no real need for that new tool but do you also have a workaround for getting the more useful new function of black and white adjustments in the adjustment brush. Probably not, but that would be great.

-- hide signature --

If you troll or flame, I stop responding. Get back on topic, I continue responding. Forums are for freely discussing and debating topics. Don't take it personal if I disagree with you.

OP Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Re: LOL Awesome

Sorry, no, and I just had a computer die so I'll be out of the Adobe tweaking business for a couple of days at least (just an old one, but somewhat annoying all the same).

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,459
More examples of Dehaze LR 6.1 ?

Does anybody have any sample images to post, before and after Dehaze? If so, thanks in advance.

Here is one example that makes the feature seem very impressive:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55995295

OP Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901
Re: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1

I just did help->updates in Lightroom...

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
halcon
halcon Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: More examples of Dehaze LR 6.1 ?
3

CAcreeks wrote:

Does anybody have any sample images to post, before and after Dehaze? If so, thanks in advance.

Here is one example that makes the feature seem very impressive:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55995295

This is not my picture.  Someone else (on this site, I think) took this picture and posted it a few years past for one reason or another.  I downloaded it a few years ago to use as a dehaze NEF test edit image.

Before

After

-- hide signature --

-nick

 halcon's gear list:halcon's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,459
Re: More examples of Dehaze LR 6.1 ?

Thanks for posting! What I notice about LR Dehaze is that it does a much better job of recovering vegetative detail than, for instance, Auto Levels or trimming the Levels histogram.

halcon wrote:

This is not my picture. Someone else (on this site, I think) took this picture and posted it a few years past for one reason or another. I downloaded it a few years ago to use as a dehaze NEF test edit image.

Before

After

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads