Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

Started Jun 12, 2015 | Questions
gkreth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,128
Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:

I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.

And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.

But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.

But I thought I'd ask you good folks, first, to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with a stand/base like this.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, or insights.

Greg

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
DRose
DRose Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

No, but I have used a tripod as a monopod with only one leg extended.

 DRose's gear list:DRose's gear list
Leica M10 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM
Joseph V. Morris
Joseph V. Morris Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

gkreth wrote:

Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:

I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.

And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.

But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.

But I thought I'd ask you good folks, first, to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with a stand/base like this.

Well, that's a Benro accessory foot on a Benro monopod.  They say it will attach to any monopod with a removable foot/spike (see their specs) -- not just Benro.  I think Manfrotto and Sirui, both make something similar.

Personally, if you've got any interest in this sort of arrangement, I would be inclined to take a good look at the Sirui P204-S ($159 at B&H, exclusive of the head) or the carbon fiber implementation.  (That won't save you a lot of weight, however.) At first blush, the Sirui foot looks more durable and certainly has a larger 'spread' than the others.  (I already owned the Benro fluid head.)

And, no, you don't walk away and leave it unattended.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

 Joseph V. Morris's gear list:Joseph V. Morris's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +16 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,440
That's for video
2

That's one of Benro's  video designs.

That makes it easier and more controllable to pan, tilt & follow with the camera using the arm on the head, especially if you use the LCD. If you try that without the foot, it can kick out from under because of the position and balance.

If you use the camera for stills only, that's not something you need or even want. It's probably in the way more than anything.

I use a conventional monopod with a tilt-head constantly and see very little value in having a base or foot for stills.

Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 12,979
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

gkreth wrote:

Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:

I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.

And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.

But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.

But I thought I'd ask you good folks, first, to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with a stand/base like this.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, or insights.

Greg

I often use my Feisol CM-1473 tri/monopod in tripod mode for shooting in confined spaces.

Where there's no wind (like indoors or a cavern) even quite long exposures work fine when I use the self-timer or a cheap IR remote to trigger the camera.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

gkreth wrote:

Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:

I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.

And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.

But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.

But I thought I'd ask you good folks, first, to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with a stand/base like this.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, or insights.

Greg

i bought the sirui carbon fibre version a couple of years ago and love it. it makes a real difference to monopod based photography.

 evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Alandb Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: That's for video

I have been considering getting one of these bases to add more horizontal/lateral stability. If you don't think they are of any value, do you have any specific techniques to minimize lateral movement?

 Alandb's gear list:Alandb's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +2 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
You're only talking about the feet

evan47 wrote:

gkreth wrote:

Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:

I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.

And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.

But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.

But I thought I'd ask you good folks, first, to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with a stand/base like this.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, or insights.

Greg

i bought the sirui carbon fibre version a couple of years ago and love it. it makes a real difference to monopod based photography.

I think some folks are looking at the head (video) and assuming you're talking about the whole package.

But I disagree with a post above that monopods with feet are only good for video use. I think it's great to have feet.

I can easily recommend this type of setup. For one, a decent one the feet are removable, so you can use the thing as a regular monopod. But with a good design they shouldn't be at all intrusive.

I too purchased a Sirui 324X monopod, and believe they're absolutely the best ones out there. I got a killer deal on it ($130) before it was discontinued. But you can still pick it up for a good price. The newer versions have only changed the way the tripod rotates, and I'm fine with the pivot point placement of the one I have.

It's very handy to have the feet, even with the added weight. You really can take your hands off of it (depending on the brand and how much you have dialed into the bottom pivot) which is really handy. It's nice to have the tripod not wanting to fall over - and it loses all the feeling of top-heaviness. I have never wanted to or needed to remove the feet in all the times I've used it. They can stay folded up if you're on the move, but most often I flip them down. It's really extra nice with a heavy lens such as the Tamron 150-600. With a decent setup like Sirui they don't hamper tilt or rotation in the slightest.

Sirui site - you might want to check out the "vs" video:

http://sirui-photo.us/Sirui-P-Series-Monopods.html#psSeries

As somebody else mentioned - there's almost no difference between CF and alloy weight-wise. Unlike a tripod, a monopod is almost all hardware and very little segment. So you're talking about a few ounces.

If you ARE doing this for video, consider the packages like Benro has, or Verizoom. The Verizoom chickenfoot monopod by itself is quite good too - and even more of a "take your hands off" type of setup. If you check this forum there's a lot of raves about it. The combo with the head is a great deal.

If it's for photography, look at the pivot heads by Hejnar, Sirui, Sunwayfoto and Desmond. The Desmond is inexpensive and is better than it has any right to be.

For other brands I'd recommend Induro (a top-tier Benro company) and Feisol. But I really believe for good old photography the Sirui's are tough to beat.

 victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
OP gkreth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,128
Correct: I'm only talking about the feet/base

victorian squid wrote:

gkreth wrote:
Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:
I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.
And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.
But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.
Greg

I think some folks are looking at the head (video) and assuming you're talking about the whole package.

But I disagree with a post above that monopods with feet are only good for video use. I think it's great to have feet.

I can easily recommend this type of setup. For one, a decent one the feet are removable, so you can use the thing as a regular monopod. But with a good design they shouldn't be at all intrusive.

I too purchased a Sirui 324X monopod, and believe they're absolutely the best ones out there. I got a killer deal on it ($130) before it was discontinued. But you can still pick it up for a good price. The newer versions have only changed the way the tripod rotates, and I'm fine with the pivot point placement of the one I have.

It's very handy to have the feet, even with the added weight. You really can take your hands off of it (depending on the brand and how much you have dialed into the bottom pivot) which is really handy. It's nice to have the tripod not wanting to fall over - and it loses all the feeling of top-heaviness. I have never wanted to or needed to remove the feet in all the times I've used it. They can stay folded up if you're on the move, but most often I flip them down. It's really extra nice with a heavy lens such as the Tamron 150-600. With a decent setup like Sirui they don't hamper tilt or rotation in the slightest.

Sirui site - you might want to check out the "vs" video:

http://sirui-photo.us/Sirui-P-Series-Monopods.html#psSeries

As somebody else mentioned - there's almost no difference between CF and alloy weight-wise. Unlike a tripod, a monopod is almost all hardware and very little segment. So you're talking about a few ounces.

If you ARE doing this for video, consider the packages like Benro has, or Verizoom. The Verizoom chickenfoot monopod by itself is quite good too - and even more of a "take your hands off" type of setup. If you check this forum there's a lot of raves about it. The combo with the head is a great deal.

If it's for photography, look at the pivot heads by Hejnar, Sirui, Sunwayfoto and Desmond. The Desmond is inexpensive and is better than it has any right to be.

For other brands I'd recommend Induro (a top-tier Benro company) and Feisol. But I really believe for good old photography the Sirui's are tough to beat.

You are correct, I was referring to the base/stand:

But I must confess, I've been looking at much less expensive options. (I confess I'm a bit of a cheapskate....) The one I was considering was this one, from eBay:

Universal Tripod Three-legged Stand Bracket Mount Foldable for 3/8" Monopod

Alandb Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Correct: I'm only talking about the feet/base

How do you attach a monopod to it? My two monopods don't have anything to catch those threads.

 Alandb's gear list:Alandb's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +2 more
OP gkreth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,128
Re: Correct: I'm only talking about the feet/base

Alandb wrote:

How do you attach a monopod to it? My two monopods don't have anything to catch those threads.

Some (many?) monopods are made with a standard 3/8" screw-in "foot." You can unscrew this foot and screw in the base.

I'm not sure which of the more expensive models do this, but apparently some by Nero do, because Benro offers this sort of base:

http://www.amazon.com/deep-deal-Hydraulic-Universal-Compatibility-Monopods/dp/B00CO5OGHW

I own a MeFOTO Walkabout monopod; it has teh removable foot:

http://www.mefoto.com/products/walkabout.aspx#Specifications

I'm also considering this Koolehaoda monopod, which comes with a detachable three-leg base:

www.amazon.com/Koolehaoda-Professional-65-inch-Aluminium-Monopod/dp/B00MPPPWPG/

Greg

evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: You're only talking about the feet

victorian squid wrote:

evan47 wrote:

gkreth wrote:

Has anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases:

I'm not expecting anything even remotely like tripod stability.

And I have no intention of leaving my camera mounted on it and walking 20 feet away.

But I could see where sometimes it might be useful, maybe adding a little more stability while still having a high degree of mobility.

But I thought I'd ask you good folks, first, to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with a stand/base like this.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, or insights.

Greg

i bought the sirui carbon fibre version a couple of years ago and love it. it makes a real difference to monopod based photography.

I think some folks are looking at the head (video) and assuming you're talking about the whole package.

But I disagree with a post above that monopods with feet are only good for video use. I think it's great to have feet.

I can easily recommend this type of setup. For one, a decent one the feet are removable, so you can use the thing as a regular monopod. But with a good design they shouldn't be at all intrusive.

I too purchased a Sirui 324X monopod, and believe they're absolutely the best ones out there. I got a killer deal on it ($130) before it was discontinued. But you can still pick it up for a good price. The newer versions have only changed the way the tripod rotates, and I'm fine with the pivot point placement of the one I have.

It's very handy to have the feet, even with the added weight. You really can take your hands off of it (depending on the brand and how much you have dialed into the bottom pivot) which is really handy. It's nice to have the tripod not wanting to fall over - and it loses all the feeling of top-heaviness. I have never wanted to or needed to remove the feet in all the times I've used it. They can stay folded up if you're on the move, but most often I flip them down. It's really extra nice with a heavy lens such as the Tamron 150-600. With a decent setup like Sirui they don't hamper tilt or rotation in the slightest.

Sirui site - you might want to check out the "vs" video:

http://sirui-photo.us/Sirui-P-Series-Monopods.html#psSeries

As somebody else mentioned - there's almost no difference between CF and alloy weight-wise. Unlike a tripod, a monopod is almost all hardware and very little segment. So you're talking about a few ounces.

If you ARE doing this for video, consider the packages like Benro has, or Verizoom. The Verizoom chickenfoot monopod by itself is quite good too - and even more of a "take your hands off" type of setup. If you check this forum there's a lot of raves about it. The combo with the head is a great deal.

If it's for photography, look at the pivot heads by Hejnar, Sirui, Sunwayfoto and Desmond. The Desmond is inexpensive and is better than it has any right to be.

For other brands I'd recommend Induro (a top-tier Benro company) and Feisol. But I really believe for good old photography the Sirui's are tough to beat.

i use my sirui p324x with a gripped nikon d7100, 300f4 af-s lens and tc14ii converter.

the sirui monopod is capable of holding my set up without tipping over when i take my hands of the camera.

 evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
OP gkreth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,128
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

Well, I took a chance on this:
65-inch aluminium monopod w/ folding 3-feet support stand

Cost $39.88, free shipping, from China. I figure it was worth a shot. I read a few good reviews of this Koolehada monopod.

We'll see how it works out....

victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
Yikes! Let us know...

gkreth wrote:

Well, I took a chance on this:
65-inch aluminium monopod w/ folding 3-feet support stand

Cost $39.88, free shipping, from China. I figure it was worth a shot. I read a few good reviews of this Koolehada monopod.

We'll see how it works out....

Personally, I think it looks like a $40 monopod. Assuming $15 shipping.

Good luck with that one! The blue plastic chassis for the legs looks pretty scary to me.

 victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
OP gkreth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,128
Re: Yikes! Let us know...

victorian squid wrote:

gkreth wrote:

Well, I took a chance on this:
65-inch aluminium monopod w/ folding 3-feet support stand

Cost $39.88, free shipping, from China. I figure it was worth a shot. I read a few good reviews of this Koolehada monopod.

We'll see how it works out....

Personally, I think it looks like a $40 monopod. Assuming $15 shipping.

Good luck with that one! The blue plastic chassis for the legs looks pretty scary to me.

Well, my other monopod is a MeFOTO Walkabout, which sells for only $59.00 (but found one for $29.00), and I really like it.

The MeFOTO is rated at 30.9 lbs load capacity, and this one is rated at 18 lbs; I figure, in either case, that's a lot more weight than I plan to use on either one.

I agree that the plastic chassis will obviously be less sturdy than the stands with aluminum chassis. It may turn out that I use it only with my Panasonic FZ200. But the FZ200 is my take-everywhere vacation camera, and one of the reasons I was interested in this was for family pics on vacation, without having to carry around a full tripod.

If the chassis will support the 21.3 oz (603 g) of the FZ200, then I'm OK with that.

Last, since both my MeGOTO and this new monopod have 3/8-inch threads for the base, I *THINK* I would theoretically be able to remove the foot of one and screw it into the 3/8-inch top of the other, essentially combining the two. Now, I doubt I would ever try to fully extend the top-mounted monopod, I might try extending it two or three feet. That would give me a slightly kludge-y 8- or 9-foot monopod - good for shooting over the heads of crowds... <grin>

We'll see. The monopod is shipping from China, so it's take another week or two to get it. I'll post an update, if anyone is interested....

Greg

Timothy S Broadley
Timothy S Broadley Senior Member • Posts: 2,403
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

Amen on the Sirui...Best monopod I have ever owned
Tim

CFster Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: Anyone ever use one of these monopod stands/bases?

I have one with a similar base. I only find it useful for keeping the monopod from falling over while I change cameras or lenses. Not even remotely as stable as a real tripod for picture taking purposes.

 CFster's gear list:CFster's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads