Any difference A7II mount and the rest?

Started Jun 12, 2015 | Discussions
Roy LaFaver Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Any difference A7II mount and the rest?

Fotasy sells a Nikon F to Sony E adapter, model name NK-NEX. They also sell one specifically for the A7II, model name NK-A7II. Price is about the same. So I am puzzled. Looking at my a6000 and a7ii side by side, I can't see it. Is it just a sales thing to attract a7ii owners from Fotodiox? Does anybody know of a minute difference that I'm not seeing? Can't find anything with Google.

Roy LaFaver's gear list:Roy LaFaver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Sony a6000 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Anders Wotzke Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Any difference A7II mount and the rest?

Yes, the A7II features a sturdier, tighter mount than prior E-mount bodies, and therefore this adapter was probably made for the earlier variant. You might find it too tight on an A7II, unless you get the appropriate model.

Anders Wotzke's gear list:Anders Wotzke's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +6 more
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,272

Roy LaFaver wrote:

Fotasy sells a Nikon F to Sony E adapter, model name NK-NEX. They also sell one specifically for the A7II, model name NK-A7II. Price is about the same. So I am puzzled. Looking at my a6000 and a7ii side by side, I can't see it. Is it just a sales thing to attract a7ii owners from Fotodiox? Does anybody know of a minute difference that I'm not seeing? Can't find anything with Google.

Sony a7S, a7II and a7RII have an all-metal lens mount. The dimensions are the same as previous e-mount cameras but the all-metal lens mount has less "give" so some adapters have a tighter fit and in some cases too tight to fit. Never found it to be an issue with lenses or Sony's lens adapters - only certain third-party lens adapters.

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
OP Roy LaFaver Contributing Member • Posts: 689

Brian_Smith wrote:

Roy LaFaver wrote:

Sony a7S, a7II and a7RII have an all-metal lens mount. The dimensions are the same as previous e-mount cameras but the all-metal lens mount has less "give" so some adapters have a tighter fit and in some cases too tight to fit. Never found it to be an issue with lenses or Sony's lens adapters - only certain third-party lens adapters.

Thanks. I did notice my metabones adapter was much tighter on the a7ii than the a6000. But that is a brass adapter. I have the a7ii model of the Fotasy, and it seems okay. I was going to buy a cheap adaptor for each lens. All I use is Nikon legacy lenses from 20mm to 200mm, so maybe it's best I just leave the adaptor on the camera until I wear out the lens side. I change lenses constantly. All primes.

Roy LaFaver's gear list:Roy LaFaver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Mordi
Mordi Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

I used a Metabones Leica M to e-mount adapter for my 15mm Voigtlander Series III and then a Yeenon helical. Corners/edges wide open were the same.

I have used both Metabones and cheap Chinese adapters in my M mounts. Any differences at any focal length has not been visible in tests at 300% at any focal length or apertures.

Mordi's gear list:Mordi's gear list
Sony a7 II Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
moffatross
moffatross Senior Member • Posts: 1,127

Just received my A7II. A K&F Concept Minolta MD to NEX adapter clicked right in & fits like a snug glove.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads