Serious question - what's the a7rII missing?

Started Jun 10, 2015 | Discussions
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Serious question - what's the a7rII missing?

Yeah, I play in the APS-C pool but I can't help drooling over this new flagship.

So what's it missing? I remember folks asking for:

• PDAF (check! even with adapted lenses which probably won't be as awesome as it sounds but it'll be better than the EA4, and it will work with non-Sony/Minolta too)
  • IBIS (check!)
  • improved ergonomics (check! at least I think so)
  • (better?) weather sealing (check!)
  • better shutter (supposedly check!)
  • ability to manipulate auto-ISO base for focal length (check!)
  • more MP (check, even if it doesn't make THAT big a difference in print size)

What I'm not sure about:

• uncompressed RAW (...check?)
  • Better compatibility with legacy wide angles (TBD I guess)
  • New AF speed and how dark it can be used (-2 EV? -3?)
-- hide signature --

Happy novice.

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +11 more
Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,068
Re: Serious question - what's the a7rII missing?

Reasonable Price Point

Small Size (seems like it will be a fair amount larger than the a7r)

In all seriousness if the camera is as good as the specs the price will be swallowed and size will still be better than the competition.

I do worry about the "weather sealing" the original A7r said the same thing and was shown upon teardowns to have virtually none. After that, Sony stopped claiming weather sealing in most of their specs for the A7r. This may have similar resistance to the elements.

Not sure why you think their RAW formula is changing?

Also, not sure if they have definitively said it will have EFCS and how loud the shutter will be.

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II
Wally626 Senior Member • Posts: 2,312

FuhTeng wrote:

Yeah, I play in the APS-C pool but I can't help drooling over this new flagship.

• PDAF (check! even with adapted lenses which probably won't be as awesome as it sounds but it'll be better than the EA4, and it will work with non-Sony/Minolta too)
  • IBIS (check!)

What I'm not sure about:

-- hide signature --

Happy novice.

What is it missing.

Higher FPS, 5 fps is pretty slow compared to the faster FF cameras that hit 12 to 14 fps.

Higher ISO, It does pretty good but some day ISO 1,000,000 will be common

Good system for multiple flash syncing

Will have to see how good the new Af is for tracking, might need improvements.

Cheap adaptor with screw drive for non-motor A-mount lenses.

I have been waiting on this body at work to use with my Canon macro lenses, but a bit too expensive, may have to wait for it to be lower in price next summer.

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497

FuhTeng wrote:

There's no problem with legacy WA lenses with existing A7s. The problem is with rangefinder WA lenses (legacy or not), and more specifically, non-retrofocal rangefinder lenses. I wouldn't expect these to work better with the A7RII, but, we'll see.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); A3000 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7 II +7 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,497
Possibly third-party A-mount lens OSPDAF compatibility?

So far, the mention of being able to use the PDAF for 'Sony A-mount lenses' may exclude Tamron and Sigma A-mount lenses - yet to be confirmed.  If that were the case, it would hurt my interest a bit, as I'd want to be able to use my Tamron 150-600mm lens without a mirrored adapter and using the camera's own OSPDAF system.

And as mentioned above, a non-mirrored screw-drive adapter for A-mount with OSPDAF compatibility would be nice.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
Hans vdC
Hans vdC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,230

a decent price, pretty expensive

Hans vdC's gear list:Hans vdC's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,584

FuhTeng wrote:

• IBIS (check!)

does it auto-switch based upon lens focal?

AEB looks to be better as well (9 frames up to 1EV apart)

What I'm not sure about:

not sure why you'd think this is a check.

not sure why you'd think this. BSI in theory should be a little better, but entirely depends on how they situated the microlenses. no mention of microlens optimization for UWA.

it's a pretty hefty upgrade price from an A7R. even more so when you think that the A7R is only 18 months old.

it's basically a 2200 USD upgrade (figuring a 1K used sale price of the A7R which seams to be ebay's price now).

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
smallLebowski Contributing Member • Posts: 996

mreynolds767 wrote:

Reasonable Price Point

Ugh... Isn't it the same size as A7II? I don't think Sony did produce another body specifically for A7RII.

In all seriousness if the camera is as good as the specs the price will be swallowed and size will still be better than the competition.

I do worry about the "weather sealing" the original A7r said the same thing and was shown upon teardowns to have virtually none. After that, Sony stopped claiming weather sealing in most of their specs for the A7r. This may have similar resistance to the elements.

Not sure why you think their RAW formula is changing?

Also, not sure if they have definitively said it will have EFCS and how loud the shutter will be.

Hans von der Crone wrote:

Compared to what comparable camera?

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); A3000 converted to IR.

FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Missing is subjective but I feel Sony could issue a firmware update and help us out with battery life.

For example, kill the power to the rear display and only turn the EVF on when my eye gets close.

Just because I have told my camera to be ready for a remote, don't allow it to override the auto off (power save) mode.

There are two examples of things that really annoy me. Battery life management seems to be an afterthought.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Leica M10 +15 more
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 1,265

smallLebowski wrote:

mreynolds767 wrote:

Reasonable Price Point

Ugh... Isn't it the same size as A7II? I don't think Sony did produce another body specifically for A7RII.

Well the A7II is noticeably beefier than the A7/A7R so I think that's what he was getting at.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more

FF Pro wrote:

Missing is subjective but I feel Sony could issue a firmware update and help us out with battery life.

For example, kill the power to the rear display and only turn the EVF on when my eye gets close.

Just because I have told my camera to be ready for a remote, don't allow it to override the auto off (power save) mode.

There are two examples of things that really annoy me. Battery life management seems to be an afterthought.

That would be a good improvement. I don't know whether it's a firmware fixable item, though... depends on whether LCD backlight has a separate enable signal from the camera's general power bus.

-- hide signature --

Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 1,797

FF Pro wrote:

It's right there in the menus. Change EVF/MONITOR from Auto to EVF and it behaves just as you described.

I have learned to always turn off the camera with the power switch. Becomes an effortless reflex after a while. Try it.

3200 USD camera with no battery charger

really? still optional?

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
4thnebula Senior Member • Posts: 2,089

No touchscreen.

No completely articulating LCD.

Considering what this camera is though we can live without those for a while though they would have been useful.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Olympus PEN E-PL5 +11 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 18,063

Missing features:

Lossless raw compression (no need for uncompressed, just lossless compression)

Microscanning (useful for instance for copy work, or digitizing larger film sizes)

Main gains:

Less or no shutter shock (it's not clear yet what speeds can be used with EFC and which with fully electronic shutter)

IBIS

Fully internal 4K

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 18,063

SQLGuy wrote:

Hans von der Crone wrote:

Compared to what comparable camera?

Compared to my bank balance.

FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Is this full EFC? Seemed to be worded like EFC was a second seat to a mechanical shutter.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Leica M10 +15 more
can't do selfies..

102 degree up for the tilt screen.

seriously.  I really wanted a 42Mp selfie

Steve1951 New Member • Posts: 8

How about a dual SD card slot...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads