Close-Up Lens - Marumi vs Raynox (a6000)

Started Jun 8, 2015 | Discussions
Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Close-Up Lens - Marumi vs Raynox (a6000)

This is for my a6000. I currently have the 16-50 and the 55-210 standard lenses for it, and have been looking for a macro solution. At the moment all the decent solutions I want are about £300 lol. (Tamron 90mm VC and the Sigma 105mm OS)

So for the short term, I though I might try out a macro filter close up lens thingy. I've read good things about them being used on the lenses I have, so I figured why not!

I keep reading conflicting information about them though, I'm not sure if its because they've changed or something. Ones I'm looking at are -

Marumi DHG200 (+5)  - comes in 49mm so can go straight onto the 55-210

Raynox DCR 150 (+4.8) or 250 (+8)   -  I'd have to get an adapter to get it to fit to any lens.

Both the same price at £50. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with the current versions, maybe with the a6000 lenses?

Nirurin's gear list:Nirurin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dquangt Senior Member • Posts: 2,504
Re: Close-Up Lens - Marumi vs Raynox (a6000)

This is for my a6000. I currently have the 16-50 and the 55-210 standard lenses for it, and have been looking for a macro solution. At the moment all the decent solutions I want are about £300 lol. (Tamron 90mm VC and the Sigma 105mm OS)

So for the short term, I though I might try out a macro filter close up lens thingy. I've read good things about them being used on the lenses I have, so I figured why not!

I keep reading conflicting information about them though, I'm not sure if its because they've changed or something. Ones I'm looking at are -

Marumi DHG200 (+5)  - comes in 49mm so can go straight onto the 55-210

Raynox DCR 150 (+4.8) or 250 (+8)   -  I'd have to get an adapter to get it to fit to any lens.

Both the same price at £50. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with the current versions, maybe with the a6000 lenses?

I have the achromat marumi and it is of high quality and puts out nice images when used with the 55-210.

OP Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 957

Are there any issues with screwing/unscrewing the marumi repeatedly? I'm yet to try filters on my new camera. The lens-cap style clip on of the raynox seemed  a clever idea

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,956

Nirurin wrote:

Marumi DHG200 (+5) - comes in 49mm so can go straight onto the 55-210

Raynox DCR 150 (+4.8) or 250 (+8) - I'd have to get an adapter to get it to fit to any lens.

I have a Marumi DHG 200 which I use with all sorts of lenses (mostly legacy manual focus lenses) and I really like the results from it. I keep it with me and use it with whatever lens I have at the time, mainly old 50mm lenses most of which aren't designed with particularly stellar close focus performance.

It is an achromatic lens so I believe it is a doublet (2 elements) - it's certainly superior to any typical close up filter I've tried. Being an achromat, it doesn't introduce any additional CA other than that which is inherent to the lens it's mounted on.

I haven't tried the Raynox filters so cannot compare results.

Here are a couple of samples using the Marumi - not necessarily at the minimum focus distance that could be achieved, but I hope they're helpful anyway :

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm

Pancolar again...

Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4

SEL50

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II +1 more
MVDH
MVDH Senior Member • Posts: 1,091

Nirurin wrote:

Raynox DCR 150 (+4.8) or 250 (+8) - I'd have to get an adapter to get it to fit to any lens.

I have the Marumi Achromat DHG 330 (+3) for my SEL18200 and absolutely love it. I can highly recommend one. It's small and lightweight (at least compared to a dedicated macro lens) and easy to take along when I'm going in the field with my SEL18200 lens. Great for subjects like flowers or bugs.

From what I understand the 330(+3) is better for larger focal length, while the 220(+5) is better for shorter focal lengths, so I think you'd need the DHG330 for the 55-210 in stead of the DHG200 if you're mainly using it as the longest focal length.

The Achromat lens typically has 2 lenses and is available in 49 mm. I like it so much that I intend to get a 49 mm DHG200(+5) to pair with my SEL50F18 prime to see how that would work out. Price in my country is between Euro 50-60,= (or GBP 42,= at amazon.co.uk).

See below link to an informative article on Achromat close-up lenses (in this case Canon, but Marumi is quite similar).

http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS%20Collection/shop/Resources/A383%20%20Close%20focus%20(CU).pdf

See also:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3605482

Don't have access to any samples at this moment, but below link shows the first two successful pictures I made with this lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54378298

MVDH's gear list:MVDH's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

For what it's worth.. I've had a Raynox 250 now for what must I'm sure be 10 years or so.. and believe it or not..never used it.  Mostly because of the style of Raynox... as I think you know, they sort of clip onto the lens ..I'm really not that sure just HOW it is possible to fit them but mine does talk of it being a fit for a 49mm thread lens..haven't got one that size for the A6000 which I only bought last week and using now a Sigma 30mm lens which I'm loving already.

But reading anyway I CAN tell you that a Raynox IS very good if used properly but the snag is always getting it to fit a lens you may prefer to use. In that respect I think the Marumi might have a little advantage as of course it's a fixed fit on the lens.  Yours here prompted me to dig out the Raynox and as I found of course..it wouldn't fit properly to my Sigma so I had to hand-hold it in font of the lens and try my best to get a decent pic in what was fading light and on top of that it had to fully hand-hold...NO sort of fixed stand I could use for the object I was trying it on.. and THAT is NOT what you should do with a Raynox..they are so critical.. but VERY good IF you can get the right fit on a lens. Many have said over the years that with a Raynox you should not "zoom" to focus in any way in-camera..appears you are best to literally move-into the subject wholly with camera as the DOF is so tight for general lens focussing.

In some respects maybe it's worth loooking more into the Marumi as of course with a proper fit for the lens you're using, it's half the battle .. well maybe my little effort was a waste of time as I just knew a failing light and a shaky hold would do little good..but I DID get it to focus AND see just how close you CAN get with this 250...I must experiment more..it didn't cost me HALF what price they are now..

If you want really close-up then I suggest you do consider the Raynox 250...NOT the 150.
I got to about 2-inches at most..maybe a little less..on a tiny little flower about 1/2-inch or so

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

tomtom50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,244
Achromat Close-up lenses

Achromats (multi-element close-up lenses) are the way to go.

http://www.ki.tng.de/~sgude/achromats.html

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

Both Marumi and Raynox are good, as are many others. I recently bought a Sigma 1.6 diopter achromat off ebay that is very nice.

Most are optimized for telezooms, so the 55-210 is a good candidate. It is OK that it is a slow lens because macro usually needs to be stopped down to get any DOF at all. IS is a huge plus for macro.

People do beautiful macro work with relatively inexpensive achromat close-up lenses.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000

Are there any issues with screwing/unscrewing the marumi repeatedly? I'm yet to try filters on my new camera. The lens-cap style clip on of the raynox seemed  a clever idea

Nope, doesn't bother me to screw it on and off. Since its not thin like a UV or polarizer it's easier to handle and not fumble it around if that makes sense.

dawson31 Regular Member • Posts: 149

Nope, doesn't bother me to screw it on and off. Since its not thin like a UV or polarizer it's easier to handle and not fumble it around if that makes sense.

However the packaging for the marumi (well maybe for mine) was just a piece of folded plastic protecting the front and back of the glass and a pouch. No lens cap for front and back like the raynox.

rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,769

dawson31 wrote:

Are there any issues with screwing/unscrewing the marumi repeatedly? I'm yet to try filters on my new camera. The lens-cap style clip on of the raynox seemed a clever idea

However the packaging for the marumi (well maybe for mine) was just a piece of folded plastic protecting the front and back of the glass and a pouch. No lens cap for front and back like the raynox.

My Marumi came in a hard plastic filter case.  I carry it in that case.

Docrum Contributing Member • Posts: 736

Nirurin wrote:

I think I mentioned this in your other thread- the Minolta CL49-200 is a Achromatic, comes in 49mm size (ie. screws straight onto the SEL55210.) It's dirt cheap - can be bought off Amazon.com for $21. http://www.amazon.com/Konica-Minolta-CL49-200-Closeup-Digital/dp/B0006IA132

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132399567@N06/sets/72157651770684695/

Don't be put off by the cheap price. The Aussie 5 cent piece in that Flickr album is just under 20mm diameter.

Docrum wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

I think I mentioned this in your other thread- the Minolta CL49-200 is a Achromatic, comes in 49mm size (ie. screws straight onto the SEL55210.) It's dirt cheap - can be bought off Amazon.com for $21. http://www.amazon.com/Konica-Minolta-CL49-200-Closeup-Digital/dp/B0006IA132

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132399567@N06/sets/72157651770684695/

Don't be put off by the cheap price. The Aussie 5 cent piece in that Flickr album is just under 20mm diameter.

Yeh I remember this, but that is american amazon, the UK amazon says it is unavailable. Not sure it's sold in the UK at all.

I just wanted to check something... I think I'm right about this but still.

If I put one of these lenses onto my 55-210mm lens, the magnification of the macro changes depending on the zoom of the lens.

So the +4 diopter lens at 210mm will be its maximum magnification, and at 55mm it will be a lot less.

Except that down at the 55mm end of the spectrum, there will be vignetting, so its better to keep it higher than that.

I just wanted to check this, as it seems like it means I should go for a close up lens a little stronger than I need, because I can then zoom back on my lens to have the right amount of magnification (as well as some leeway higher and lower).

Doesn't Amazon USA ship to the UK - I bought one from them and I'm in Australia?

Okay, just did a quick shoot with the SEL55210 and CL49-200. Note- all shots hand held in poor light, so ignore picture quality, look purely at the magnification.;-)

SEL55210 fitted with CL49-200, lens at 55mm

SEL55210 fitted with CL49-200, lens at 210mm

SEL30M35

The text is roughly 2mm high. I had extreme problems with shadowing using the SEL30M35. The SEL55210 with CL49-200 was around 13-14cm away for both shots.

Docrum wrote:

Doesn't Amazon USA ship to the UK - I bought one from them and I'm in Australia?

Okay, just did a quick shoot with the SEL55210 and CL49-200. Note- all shots hand held in poor light, so ignore picture quality, look purely at the magnification.;-)

SEL55210 fitted with CL49-200, lens at 55mm

SEL55210 fitted with CL49-200, lens at 210mm

SEL30M35

The text is roughly 2mm high. I had extreme problems with shadowing using the SEL30M35. The SEL55210 with CL49-200 was around 13-14cm away for both shots.

Amazon usa will ship to the uk, but with the extra shipping cost it makes the advantage pretty minor. And then if the parcel gets stopped at customs, the import duty would be £15 + 20% for VAT. So would end up being about £50, same price as a raynox lol.

Ill look into it, in case there are ways around the import fees on certain products.

Thanks for the examples i think id prefer the 15cm working distance lol

rjjr wrote:

dawson31 wrote:

Are there any issues with screwing/unscrewing the marumi repeatedly? I'm yet to try filters on my new camera. The lens-cap style clip on of the raynox seemed a clever idea

My Marumi came in a hard plastic filter case. I carry it in that case.

me too.

Letsgokoulos
Letsgokoulos Senior Member • Posts: 2,365

Nirurin wrote:

I just wanted to check something... I think I'm right about this but still.

If I put one of these lenses onto my 55-210mm lens, the magnification of the macro changes depending on the zoom of the lens.

So the +4 diopter lens at 210mm will be its maximum magnification, and at 55mm it will be a lot less.

Except that down at the 55mm end of the spectrum, there will be vignetting, so its better to keep it higher than that.

I just wanted to check this, as it seems like it means I should go for a close up lens a little stronger than I need, because I can then zoom back on my lens to have the right amount of magnification (as well as some leeway higher and lower).

I cannot remember any vignetting at 55mm with either the Marumi or the Raynox.

Marc

Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256

I use the Raynox-250 and I like it both with the 16-50 and the 55-210. With the 55-210, you get a magnification range of about 0.5x to 2x. You focus mostly with distance, but the lens with the Raynox does have a small focus range. The a6000 AF works awesomely fast with it. I've used my Raynox on several cameras, but the AF on the a6000 really makes it a pleasure to use.

You have to stop it down quite a ways to get usable DoF at the max magnification. For such situations, you'll want a wireless flash (I use a Metz 52 AF-1 triggered from the popup flash of the a6000.) I'm not sure why, but the rules of diffraction limiting do not apply to closeup work--images look tack sharp even at F/30 with the Raynox.

The 16-50 also makes nice closeups at the 50mm setting--in fact, the a6000 with 16-50 and the Raynox make a great jacket-pocket kit. You don't need to stop down that much at 50mm so you don't need the wireless flash as much.

The Raynox 250 is even fun to use at the wide settings of the 16-50--sort of funky lens-baby type shots.

Bart

16-50 at 50mm

Frost on a grass blade. 55-210 at 183mm flash held straight above

16-50 at 18mm, F/4, flash held on right.

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more

Bart Hickman wrote:

You have to stop it down quite a ways to get usable DoF at the max magnification. For such situations, you'll want a wireless flash (I use a Metz 52 AF-1 triggered from the popup flash of the a6000.) I'm not sure why, but the rules of diffraction limiting do not apply to closeup work--images look tack sharp even at F/30 with the Raynox.

Nice pictures.

That sort of flash set up is what I need to look into (don't ask me why, but I don't think the hot shoe on my A6000 works anymore and I'm not going to pay Sony a fortune to fix it.)

Bart Hickman wrote:

I use the Raynox-250 and I like it both with the 16-50 and the 55-210. With the 55-210, you get a magnification range of about 0.5x to 2x. You focus mostly with distance, but the lens with the Raynox does have a small focus range. The a6000 AF works awesomely fast with it. I've used my Raynox on several cameras, but the AF on the a6000 really makes it a pleasure to use.

You have to stop it down quite a ways to get usable DoF at the max magnification. For such situations, you'll want a wireless flash (I use a Metz 52 AF-1 triggered from the popup flash of the a6000.)

Really? I didnt think the built in flash worked to trigger wireless flashes! Im sure ive read that in a few places. Interesting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads