Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

Started Jun 5, 2015 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,732
Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera
19

Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera, rx100m1,2,3; RX1,RX1r; RX10 (IMO!)

Main Menu is too large to navigate to find and change anything

Fn Button Menu is Small and Fast.

I resisted setting Fn menu up, but, you need it, even in Auto, to change a few things or even just one thing frequently.

Fn is a SHORT PRE-SELECTED MENU, you pick what you want (m1: 7 items; m3/RX10: 12)

Using Fn Button minimizes the need to setup (and remember) any of the 3 MR memories.

…………………………………………….

1st. m1: Change ‘Menu Start’ from Top to Previous.

Menu now goes directly to where you were when you got out of it. Good when learning or changing anything. 'Top', default, is the beginning of the huge menu, you lose where you were last. m3, 'Previous' is the default

……………………………………………

2nd: select your Fn Button Items

m1: menu, gear, page 2, Function Button. Press it, you get a page with 7 vertical lines,

Press the Function 1 button: a vertical list of optional settings, use the top and bottom rockers to scroll the list, pick one, press the center button, it becomes the first item in your Fn menu.

Pick the other 6 items you want, ( or other 11 items with m3 and RX10).

Now, press Fn button. Presto, ONLY your 7 or 12 items are there, no confusion or searching is necessary. Simply rock left or right, to the item you want to change, change it, shoot.

…………………………………………..

My m1 7 item Fn Button Menu, and why

1. Image Size.

a. I drop down to 10mp often, to get EOZ extended optical zoom, and to get 'More' CIZ

b. m3, I drop down to 10mp to get SZ, Smart Zoom (extended optical zoom, confusingly renamed by Sony), extends 70mm limit to SZ 98mm, close to 100mm for Portraits. (This is a trial use, results not yet compared)

100mm is considered ideal for portraits, because, among other things, it gets you far enough back, away from your subject, to avoid facial distortions. 70mm, you move in closer to equally fill the frame with your subject.

c. 5mp Small File Sizes: for eBay photos, send to my and other’s cell phone, send as email.

2. Drive Mode. (even though it is the rear left rocker default, which is instant)

a. I change Drive Mode frequently, and I am used to going to the Fn Button Menu for changes

b. Left rocker drive mode has sub-menus you need to enter, options you need to remember even exist. Drive Mode in Fn menu gives a separate icon for each variation, no sub menus.

c. AEL. AEL does not exist unless you change the camera’s default, and can only be assigned to the rear center button or left or rear rockers. (Absurd, to have to lose something, to get AEL) I have already moved Drive Mode to Fn menu, so I use the left rocker.

When you toggle AEL on, a star shows up at the right end of the info line, bottom of the lcd, adjacent to the left rocker, so they are intuitively adjacent.

To get AEL: menu, gear, page 2, 5 line down: Func. of Left Button. Change it to AEL Toggle. Now, when you press the left rocker, AEL is engaged, current exposure is locked, shoot away. Press left rocker again, AEL off.

3. Focus Mode (focus method).

Sony’s focus system is excellent: get right to the 4 choices to use them. Get shots with AF-C (continuous active pre-focus), that might otherwise be blurred or, with DMF or MF get precise focus, say a specific part of a flower, insect, spider web, or guarantee focus on your subject in a normal distance shot. Manual focus, with magnification and focus peaking is superb. Learn it, use it, you will get fast with it.

4. AutoFocus Area Size (size of the area ‘looked at’ by the AF system)

Multi (full frame); Center area (small box, always in the center); or Spot area (very small box, and, where you want the spot to be) I use center as my default, spot when needed, hardly ever use multi because it 'looks at everything' in view and ‘guesses’ what might be your subject.

5. Metering Area Size (size of the area ‘looked at’ for Exposure, always centered).

To ‘ignore’ adjacent areas that are either too bright or too dark. (backlit windows, sunshine, spotlights, large strong shadows)

6. Flash Mode (on/off primarily, advanced flash types are there also)

7. Flash Comp (compensation, flash strength). In addition to flexing and bouncing the flash, this is THE KEY to successfully use the internal flash. Surprisingly, rx flash is strong, you often need to cut it’s strength, then it can give you shots otherwise unachievable due to too long handheld shutter speeds in low light. Or, you can boost it on rare occasions. Note: rx flash needs time to fully recharge between shots to be consistent. It will fire again soon, but, if you have not waited for a full charge, it will not be consistent with the prior strength, that you chose.

In addition, I change the rear right rocker to Flash Comp, so, when I am using the flash, it is faster to change the flash strength shot to shot. Especially when you first use it in a situation, the first few shots are to find the correct level you need, after that, you may change it due to too dark clothing, less light over there, etc. Because it is the flash rocker by default, it is intuitive.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Canon EOS M3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

+1 Elliott. Agree with everything you mentioned.

I am constantly in the Fn button menu. This is analogous to Canon's "Quick Control" button menu on their dslrs.

This also brings up my one and only complaint about a missing feature on the mk3: no touchscreen is a major bummer. Oh well.

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 40,346
disregard

nothing to say

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Miklos Tomka New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera
1

Thank you - very useful !

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,679
Sony RX100 Fn Button: Thanks!!!!

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera, rx100m1,2,3; RX1,RX1r; RX10 (IMO!)

Main Menu is too large to navigate to find and change anything

Fn Button Menu is Small and Fast.

I resisted setting Fn menu up, but, you need it, even in Auto, to change a few things or even just one thing frequently.

Fn is a SHORT PRE-SELECTED MENU, you pick what you want (m1: 7 items; m3/RX10: 12)

Using Fn Button minimizes the need to setup (and remember) any of the 3 MR memories.

…………………………………………….

1st. m1: Change ‘Menu Start’ from Top to Previous.

Menu now goes directly to where you were when you got out of it. Good when learning or changing anything. 'Top', default, is the beginning of the huge menu, you lose where you were last. m3, 'Previous' is the default

……………………………………………

2nd: select your Fn Button Items

m1: menu, gear, page 2, Function Button. Press it, you get a page with 7 vertical lines,

Press the Function 1 button: a vertical list of optional settings, use the top and bottom rockers to scroll the list, pick one, press the center button, it becomes the first item in your Fn menu.

Pick the other 6 items you want, ( or other 11 items with m3 and RX10).

Now, press Fn button. Presto, ONLY your 7 or 12 items are there, no confusion or searching is necessary. Simply rock left or right, to the item you want to change, change it, shoot.

…………………………………………..

My m1 7 item Fn Button Menu, and why

1. Image Size.

a. I drop down to 10mp often, to get EOZ extended optical zoom, and to get 'More' CIZ

b. m3, I drop down to 10mp to get SZ, Smart Zoom (extended optical zoom, confusingly renamed by Sony), extends 70mm limit to SZ 98mm, close to 100mm for Portraits. (This is a trial use, results not yet compared)

100mm is considered ideal for portraits, because, among other things, it gets you far enough back, away from your subject, to avoid facial distortions. 70mm, you move in closer to equally fill the frame with your subject.

c. 5mp Small File Sizes: for eBay photos, send to my and other’s cell phone, send as email.

2. Drive Mode. (even though it is the rear left rocker default, which is instant)

a. I change Drive Mode frequently, and I am used to going to the Fn Button Menu for changes

b. Left rocker drive mode has sub-menus you need to enter, options you need to remember even exist. Drive Mode in Fn menu gives a separate icon for each variation, no sub menus.

c. AEL. AEL does not exist unless you change the camera’s default, and can only be assigned to the rear center button or left or rear rockers. (Absurd, to have to lose something, to get AEL) I have already moved Drive Mode to Fn menu, so I use the left rocker.

When you toggle AEL on, a star shows up at the right end of the info line, bottom of the lcd, adjacent to the left rocker, so they are intuitively adjacent.

To get AEL: menu, gear, page 2, 5 line down: Func. of Left Button. Change it to AEL Toggle. Now, when you press the left rocker, AEL is engaged, current exposure is locked, shoot away. Press left rocker again, AEL off.

3. Focus Mode (focus method).

Sony’s focus system is excellent: get right to the 4 choices to use them. Get shots with AF-C (continuous active pre-focus), that might otherwise be blurred or, with DMF or MF get precise focus, say a specific part of a flower, insect, spider web, or guarantee focus on your subject in a normal distance shot. Manual focus, with magnification and focus peaking is superb. Learn it, use it, you will get fast with it.

4. AutoFocus Area Size (size of the area ‘looked at’ by the AF system)

Multi (full frame); Center area (small box, always in the center); or Spot area (very small box, and, where you want the spot to be) I use center as my default, spot when needed, hardly ever use multi because it 'looks at everything' in view and ‘guesses’ what might be your subject.

5. Metering Area Size (size of the area ‘looked at’ for Exposure, always centered).

To ‘ignore’ adjacent areas that are either too bright or too dark. (backlit windows, sunshine, spotlights, large strong shadows)

6. Flash Mode (on/off primarily, advanced flash types are there also)

7. Flash Comp (compensation, flash strength). In addition to flexing and bouncing the flash, this is THE KEY to successfully use the internal flash. Surprisingly, rx flash is strong, you often need to cut it’s strength, then it can give you shots otherwise unachievable due to too long handheld shutter speeds in low light. Or, you can boost it on rare occasions. Note: rx flash needs time to fully recharge between shots to be consistent. It will fire again soon, but, if you have not waited for a full charge, it will not be consistent with the prior strength, that you chose.

In addition, I change the rear right rocker to Flash Comp, so, when I am using the flash, it is faster to change the flash strength shot to shot. Especially when you first use it in a situation, the first few shots are to find the correct level you need, after that, you may change it due to too dark clothing, less light over there, etc. Because it is the flash rocker by default, it is intuitive.

RB

 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +17 more
quicky422 Regular Member • Posts: 454
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

I enjoyed your reading.  I've had the RX-10 for about 7 months and still haven't set up my Fn configuration.  It seems a bit overwhelming especially when you consider the other custom buttons and how many options there are! I guess I just need to use it more...

I'm slowly learning what I need to be where. With the HX100 and HX200, I became very familiar with the menu and custom buttons.  The RX10 has a completely different set up and a lot more options!!  I've been using it pretty much in Fn default mode.

As I start to nail down the Fn and Custom buttons I thought that for each dial position I could assign different functions to the Fn menu but it seems it's universal across all modes! I haven't explored all of them so I'm not quite sure.

So, I have to find a custom set-up that has the most potential for the Fn and custom buttons across all dial modes.

And then there's the Memory 1 & 2!  I think I have the operation down but I have read other posts where there was confusion!

Thanks for sharing...

 quicky422's gear list:quicky422's gear list
Kodak DX6440 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX10 II
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,732
Re: disregard

Bill Borne wrote:

nothing to say

what in the world made you reply like this? Doesn't seem like you.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,732
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera
1

walkaround wrote:

+1 Elliott. Agree with everything you mentioned.

I am constantly in the Fn button menu. This is analogous to Canon's "Quick Control" button menu on their dslrs.

This also brings up my one and only complaint about a missing feature on the mk3: no touchscreen is a major bummer. Oh well.

I agree, my old Sony movie camera is touch screen, my new Oly Stylus 1 is touch screen, it has touch focus, amazingly easy,

and it's version of Fn button is: press the rear center button: right to Super Control Panel, rocker to any of 23 Icons, change, shoot.

One anoying thing about Sony Fn button, is if you want to change more than one thing, you have to keep going in and out of the Fn button. Once you press one thing, it leaves the Fn menu.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,732
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

quicky422 wrote:

I enjoyed your reading. I've had the RX-10 for about 7 months and still haven't set up my Fn configuration. It seems a bit overwhelming especially when you consider the other custom buttons and how many options there are! I guess I just need to use it more...

I'm slowly learning what I need to be where. With the HX100 and HX200, I became very familiar with the menu and custom buttons. The RX10 has a completely different set up and a lot more options!! I've been using it pretty much in Fn default mode.

I have m1 and m3, so I want the first 7 items to be the same on my m1 and m3, so I have to set it up my way, then, I get 5 more Fn buttion menu items on the m3 for stuff I change as I try and learn stuff.

As I start to nail down the Fn and Custom buttons I thought that for each dial position I could assign different functions to the Fn menu but it seems it's universal across all modes! I haven't explored all of them so I'm not quite sure.

So, I have to find a custom set-up that has the most potential for the Fn and custom buttons across all dial modes.

your RX10 has 12 items, I would think that is enough for most situations.

And then there's the Memory 1 & 2! I think I have the operation down but I have read other posts where there was confusion!

I set up Memory once, but, I've had anesthesia 27 times, it messes with your memory, I seem to remember, so I couldn't remember what the Memory was for. Remind me to detox, I keep forgetting.

Thanks for sharing...

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 40,346
Re: disregard

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

nothing to say

what in the world made you reply like this? Doesn't seem like you.

You'll never now

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
missingendpoint Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera
2

I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentions the quick menu for the 100iii -- just enable Custom Settings, DISP Button, Monitor, 'For viewfinder' [though I haven't the foggiest why it's called 'For viewfinder'].  With that selected, the 'DISP' [up] button cycles through your DISP choices including the 'For viewfinder' screen which shows nearly all the current shot settings.

Anyway, perhaps folks aren't aware, this isn't just a static display of the current settings.  When that screen is being displayed, pressing the 'Fn' button turns it into a live menu where you can use the cursor to select any setting you want to change.  Many more choices on a single screen than any of the tab menus, or even the 12 choices you can set for your private Fn button.

It's one of the reasons I bought the iii.

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,732
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

missingendpoint wrote:

I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentions the quick menu for the 100iii -- just enable Custom Settings, DISP Button, Monitor, 'For viewfinder' [though I haven't the foggiest why it's called 'For viewfinder']. With that selected, the 'DISP' [up] button cycles through your DISP choices including the 'For viewfinder' screen which shows nearly all the current shot settings.

Anyway, perhaps folks aren't aware, this isn't just a static display of the current settings. When that screen is being displayed, pressing the 'Fn' button turns it into a live menu where you can use the cursor to select any setting you want to change. Many more choices on a single screen than any of the tab menus, or even the 12 choices you can set for your private Fn button.

It's one of the reasons I bought the iii.

I will be trying that tomorrow, thanks

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
stuart melnikoff Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

bump

 stuart melnikoff's gear list:stuart melnikoff's gear list
Sony RX100 IV
DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

Thanks for the information on the Fn button on the RX 100 series.  Since the camera came with no printed user manual, I have to rely on the e-book version on my Kindle.  Have been reading it, but haven't seen a way to go to the index for specific things and just have it toggle to that spot.  Nice to have a printed manual available.  I guess the mfr's save a buck or two by not supplying them with the cameras?

 DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
garypen
garypen Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

You're just discovering this now? I thought you were an RX super user!
(Setting up the custom menu has always been the first thing I do with any camera when I first take it out of the box!)

The one thing I wish they'd change in future FW for the Fn button on the M2 is to make it open the wi-fi "send to" function like on the M3 and newer Alphas.

It's so much easier than navigating through the menu whenever I want to xfer pics. (At least NFC works simply and easily, but only for single pics.)

 garypen's gear list:garypen's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
wolfd Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

Thanks for the very helpful information Elliott.

 wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) +6 more
rava777
rava777 Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

Change menu start from top to previous. I didn't know you could do that on the Mk1.

My A5100 has 'previous' by default.

Thanks Elliott.

 rava777's gear list:rava777's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 VI
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,732
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera
4

garypen wrote:

You're just discovering this now? I thought you were an RX super user!

I wrote this for another person who recently bought the camera, and posted it for new owners here.

My 3 year old super-condensed mini-manual, and learning guide, all of 14 pages, emphasizes the Fn button, and especially for the m1, getting out of Auto.

My other Sony is my old R1, very small menu, and it is confusing. The Oly Stylus 1 (my first Oly) menu took some time getting used to, and I don't like having to go back and forth Sony to Oly, I wish Sony made something similar to the Stylus 1.

If anyone wants a printable guide, my 14 pages are for you. Send me a Private Message with your email address and I will send it along, exorbitant price: $0.00

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
garypen
garypen Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera
1

elliottnewcomb wrote:

If anyone wants a printable guide, my 14 pages are for you. Send me a Private Message with your email address and I will send it along, exorbitant price: $0.00

That's how they getcha!

 garypen's gear list:garypen's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this excellent thread ...especially the OP!

Fantastic thread.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads