Any more S1 lovers out there?

Started Jun 5, 2015 | Discussions
missedshot
missedshot Contributing Member • Posts: 912
Any more S1 lovers out there?

I'm guessing most S1 owners are out there on adventures, too busy having fun with their camera to spend a lot of time on the computer. TSeilers award winning "feathers" post was sure awesome. And bobelvederes photos I believe are a perfect example of what the S1 is great at. Get out, be adventurous, take chances, get wet, and most of all have fun.

Here's a few, not expert by any means. Maybe not even average. It's hard for me to tell because I'm red/green color blind. Another reason I stick with Fuji, since they have a reputation for good color. The dog and I are usually out in the late evening, when the lighting is usually terrible. Yes I know, the S1 is poor (finish below)

Nothing special, just because I like Roses.

Western sunset

I do believe he's munching on a flower. Some might find the weeds and such distracting.  To me it portrays reality.

in low light, won't focus or gather light or whatever. (they say) Oh well, this camera will do some things that no other camera in it's price range can do.

missedshot's gear list:missedshot's gear list
FinePix S1 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Kodak Pixpro S-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795
Re: Any more S1 lovers out there?

missedshot wrote:

I'm guessing most S1 owners are out there on adventures, too busy having fun with their camera to spend a lot of time on the computer. TSeilers award winning "feathers" post was sure awesome. And bobelvederes photos I believe are a perfect example of what the S1 is great at. Get out, be adventurous, take chances, get wet, and most of all have fun.

Here's a few, not expert by any means. Maybe not even average. It's hard for me to tell because I'm red/green color blind. Another reason I stick with Fuji, since they have a reputation for good color. The dog and I are usually out in the late evening, when the lighting is usually terrible. Yes I know, the S1 is poor (finish below)

Western sunset

I do believe he's munching on a flower. Some might find the weeds and such distracting. To me it portrays reality.

in low light, won't focus or gather light or whatever. (they say) Oh well, this camera will do some things that no other camera in it's price range can do.

I just got one and I am amazed what a great camera it is, it was a run out special in a camera store and I paid £200 for it, best money I have spent on a camera in a long time. I will post pictures when I have some good stuff to share.

-- hide signature --

Fuji: XQ1, F900, F300, S100, HS-50
Panasonic: LX7, GF5 with 7-14mm, 9mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm, 45-150mm
Canon: SX240

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,245

Very good looking photos! Agree about the S1 being a very good bridge/power zoom cam..gotta love the weather proofing too.

nobbyball Regular Member • Posts: 207

Hi

I've just got one to go with my XS1 for the extra reach. I did have a Canon SX50 and I must say after just a couple of weeks this is a much much much much much better camera to use in the field.  The viewfinder on the Canon was horrible.  The S1's is very nice. The zoom is quicker than the Canon.  The Autofocus appears faster than the Canon.  I too will post some shots soon and make comments on image quality compared to the Canon - but as a camera to use out and about it is a far better experience.

The final thing - and what I like about your shots - is the Fuji colour.  That's something I love about my XS1 and I'm hoping I'll find as well with the S1.

Ian

nobbyball's gear list:nobbyball's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 FinePix S1 Canon EOS 70D
missedshot
OP missedshot Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Just so you know, I usually have the color setting on chrome.  I'm sure some would think it's too much but for me with limited color vision I want it strong.  When the subject of black and white comes up, I need all the color I can get, well almost.  Just practicing I tried the "dynamic tone" filter.  They call it "fantasy effect"!  Got that right.

FinePix S1 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
TSeiler
TSeiler Regular Member • Posts: 198

missedshot wrote:

Western sunset

I do believe he's munching on a flower. Some might find the weeds and such distracting. To me it portrays reality.

Thanks for the shout out. Here is a bunch of photos mainly shot with the S1:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108464110929132780547/2014?authuser=0&feat=directlink

TSeiler's gear list:TSeiler's gear list
FinePix S1 Apple iPhone 6
Tim Murphy
Tim Murphy Regular Member • Posts: 348

Dear missedshot,

Back in the Fall of 2014 I was strongly considering the Finepix S1.  It's main competition at the time was the Panasonic FZ200.  When that went on sale on Black Friday 2014 for less than $ 300.00 I bought it.

I like the FZ200 a lot, but I am still considering a Finepix S1 as a replacement for a Canon APS-C sensor DSLR and several large zoom lenses.  I do not print large pictures and I harbor no illusions of ever being considered a great photographer.  I just want something lighter that can grab the walk around stuff I see when I am out fishing or walking through the woods.  I think that the Finepix S1 will be a more reliable option for me because of the weather-sealing.

I suspect that sooner rather than later I will buy a Finepix S1 and sell off much of my Canon gear.  I will keep my 1DMK2 for the time being and I will replace it with a 1DMK3, for though the 1DMK2 is old, it is a far better camera than any of the APS-C bodies I have.

In the mean time I appreciate posts like this one and I hope to see more examples of photos taken with the S1.  The more I see like yours the more easily I will be convinced to make the change.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy's gear list:Tim Murphy's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Olympus SP-350 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Olympus C-5050 Zoom +22 more
missedshot

Tim,  TSeilers S1 photos are much better than anything I have done.  My interests are also mainly wildlife, much of which are only seen from a distance.  Some of which (cougars and bears and even bull elk) are not tolerant of close encounters.  Here in Oregon weather can often be a challenge which also gives the S1 an advantage.  I wouldn't call the S1 a small camera but for me that zoom is worth the size, even when backpacking.  It sounds like your IQ expectations are similar to mine.  Anything I take that I feel is worth keeping I put on photoshop and reduce any excess noise and in some cases CA.just part of a small sensor.

Just backyard

Could have got more detail in the dark trees but artistically liked original.

Taken from a road, could have zoomed in much closer

After taking this shot, went home to identify the little guy.  I think it's my state bird, the "Western Meadowlark". DUH

Tim Murphy
Tim Murphy Regular Member • Posts: 348

Dear missedshot,

Please don't think I am damning you with faint praise but I would certainly be happy with the pictures you have posted to this thread.

No matter how much gear we all accumulate, or no matter how big our heads get, we all cannot be world famous photographers.  I'm happy when my friends and family like a picture I took, same as when I shot film.

I will get a Finepix S1 but first I need to get a good smoker so I can make more BBQ!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy's gear list:Tim Murphy's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Olympus SP-350 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Olympus C-5050 Zoom +22 more
missedshot

Thanks Tim, I've no illusions about being considered a photographer.  Just having a lot of fun with this camera.  Here's another recent one.  I have literally hundreds of moon shots, mostly with little or no color.  This one was early in the morning shortly before sunrise, lots of blue sky.

Anyone know the shot number expected from an S1?  At the rate I'm going I'll have to buy another one pretty soon.:-)

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,437
they're getting cheap ...

I will pull the trigger on one if I see it really cheap ... I already have too many cameras lol.

I noticed that DPReview finally got around to looking at it and have a superzoom shootout coming. Their gallery does not really float my boat though ...

Remembering the multi-part review that Fuji facilitated back last summer ...

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3486568277577421%3Aesofjarifpd&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=hs50exr+ve+s1&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=hs50exr%20ve%20s1&gsc.page=1

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
missedshot
Re: they're getting cheap ...

Kim, your excellent series was what helped me decide on the S1.  Even with the obvious shortcomings you pointed out It's strong points fit my needs exactly.  Thanks again for the great information.

Kim Letkeman

missedshot wrote:

Kim, your excellent series was what helped me decide on the S1. Even with the obvious shortcomings you pointed out It's strong points fit my needs exactly. Thanks again for the great information.

Great ... I'm glad you found it useful.

I must admit to some surprise at DPReview's rather negative take on the image quality. JPEG IQ is certainly poor, as it is with most cameras in the 1/2.3" sensor range. But they suggested that raw IQ was little better. I found it to be pretty decent ...

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,557

Kim Letkeman wrote:

missedshot wrote:

Kim, your excellent series was what helped me decide on the S1. Even with the obvious shortcomings you pointed out It's strong points fit my needs exactly. Thanks again for the great information.

I must admit to some surprise at DPReview's rather negative take on the image quality. JPEG IQ is certainly poor, as it is with most cameras in the 1/2.3" sensor range. But they suggested that raw IQ was little better. I found it to be pretty decent ...

This biggest issue is the reach of nikons P 900 . Other than that the I prefare Fuji

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
Kim Letkeman

labe wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

missedshot wrote:

This biggest issue is the reach of nikons P 900 . Other than that the I prefare Fuji

I really don't understand why Nikon refuses to add raw to those little gems ... what they could do!

Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,557
Re: they're getting cheap ...Kim

I think Nikon avoid raw because of the amount of lens correction going on .

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads