If you own Nikon lenses, the D750 does amazing video.

Started May 30, 2015 | Discussions
virtualkyr
OP virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 862
Re: If you own Nikon lenses, the D750 does amazing video.

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

Thanks for your response. Your equipment lists shows Camcorders. How do you make the choice between going for lets say the Canon XA20 and a Nikon D750. I can appreciate the compactness of the camcorder and the XLR audio inputs, but would the sheer Image Quality be the main reason to go out with the FF D750. I prefer SOOC images rather than working with Da Vinci---unless a special look is intended. I am hearing that a mic plugged straight into D750 sounds ok? Will have to check if the top gun Senniheiser 416 sounds ok that way.If the external Zoom or Tascam can be avoided in most situations--its so much easier to shoot.

I'm really a wedding video guy. That's how I make my money.

The decision in what to choose is very easy for me.

Traditional camcorders are best used at the Ceremony where my rule is, once you press that record button, never stop recording. Thus, a 30 minute time limit is too restrictive.

Sometimes, I shoot ceremonies as a solo video guy and I run up to 6 cameras by myself. Naturally 5 of these are mostly unmanned and I typically start those recording 15 minutes prior to ceremony start time in an attempt to show some respect and not be running around up front and all around directly prior to event start.

Additionally, the big cameras have built in XLRs which I use for my 3 Sennheiser G3 kits for recording ceremony audio, along with Tascam DR40s.

For anything that's going to require "beauty shots" or subject isolation, then the DSLR gets used. Bridal prep is the primary purpose for the DSLR.

The D750 audio is quite good on it's own with my Sennheiser ME66/K6 on a shockmount plugged straight in. I have no issues using it that way.

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLR: Nikon D750, D90
Lenses: Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, Nikon 24-120 F4, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR2, and 35mm F1.8
Compact: Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30 and 30-110
Video: Sony NX5U, Canon XA20, Canon HV40, Canon Vixia Mini, GoPro Hero2, Adobe CC

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +22 more
Rahul Ranadive Regular Member • Posts: 108

virtualkyr wrote:

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

Thanks for your response. Your equipment lists shows Camcorders. How do you make the choice between going for lets say the Canon XA20 and a Nikon D750. I can appreciate the compactness of the camcorder and the XLR audio inputs, but would the sheer Image Quality be the main reason to go out with the FF D750. I prefer SOOC images rather than working with Da Vinci---unless a special look is intended. I am hearing that a mic plugged straight into D750 sounds ok? Will have to check if the top gun Senniheiser 416 sounds ok that way.If the external Zoom or Tascam can be avoided in most situations--its so much easier to shoot.

I'm really a wedding video guy. That's how I make my money.

The decision in what to choose is very easy for me.

Traditional camcorders are best used at the Ceremony where my rule is, once you press that record button, never stop recording. Thus, a 30 minute time limit is too restrictive.

Sometimes, I shoot ceremonies as a solo video guy and I run up to 6 cameras by myself. Naturally 5 of these are mostly unmanned and I typically start those recording 15 minutes prior to ceremony start time in an attempt to show some respect and not be running around up front and all around directly prior to event start.

Additionally, the big cameras have built in XLRs which I use for my 3 Sennheiser G3 kits for recording ceremony audio, along with Tascam DR40s.

For anything that's going to require "beauty shots" or subject isolation, then the DSLR gets used. Bridal prep is the primary purpose for the DSLR.

The D750 audio is quite good on it's own with my Sennheiser ME66/K6 on a shockmount plugged straight in. I have no issues using it that way.

Woah! I respect your shooting etiquette. I will look for a shock mount for the Senn 416. My sound guy is upset, as Im using him less--its a 25 yr association that is disrupted by low budgets for docs. We are all learning to both adjust and survive.Maybe the next 12 months brings in a sub $3000, 1inch sensor camcorder with XLRs that shoots 4K and looks good in low light

KrisAK Contributing Member • Posts: 726

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

Maybe the next 12 months brings in a sub $3000, 1inch sensor camcorder with XLRs that shoots 4K and looks good in low light

Wouldn't that be Sony's PXW-X70? It looks like the paid upgrade to 4K is finally becoming available.

virtualkyr

I've heard mixed things about the X70.

The new NX100 is really more along the lines of what I would prefer. 3 Rings, lots of buttons so no menu diving.

The AX100 is actually the better deal IMO for 4K cameras at $1,700. I've spent a lot of time with it and the AX33 at Best Buy... but I just am having a hard time getting past all the menu stuff personally.

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLR: Nikon D750, D90
Lenses: Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, Nikon 24-120 F4, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR2, and 35mm F1.8
Compact: Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30 and 30-110
Video: Sony NX5U, Canon XA20, Canon HV40, Canon Vixia Mini, GoPro Hero2, Adobe CC

K Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,015

Who's still reading this post in 2020??

Proud Nikon D750 owner, trying to get better at Video

K Joseph's gear list:K Joseph's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +7 more
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 3,761

K Joseph wrote:

Who's still reading this post in 2020??

Proud Nikon D750 owner, trying to get better at Video

I sold my D750 about a year or so ago. It does have a lovely video image. I recommend shooting in flat profile (or you can import some of the other flat profiles around the internet).

If I just needed 1080p and could live with manual focus, it would still be a great hybrid camera, as it has always been a wonderful stills camera. In terms of ergonomics, I find it to be just about perfect. (Much better than either my Sony or Panasonic cameras.)

I sure hope that Nikon is able to navigate the rough economic waters ahead and continues to make great cameras.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
virtualkyr

I upgraded to the Z6 about a year ago and have been using it. But I did film a wedding last weekend and actually used the D750 and 50 1.4 D quite a bit because that is still my go to bride prep set up. I just love the shallow DOF at 1.4.

On my Z6 I run the 24.70 2.8S (on glidecam), 85 1.8S, and 14-30 F4.

For me,I shoot neutral instead of flat, because I have an easier time matching that with my batch of Canon and Sony cameras for video.

Even after all these years, the D750 is still a very good video camera as long as you can deal with the focus.

-- hide signature --

I have a hard time selling stuff.
Mirrorless - Z6
DSLR - D750, D7200
Compact - Coolpix A, Nikon V1, Nikon J5
Video - Sony NX5, CX900, X70, Canon XA20, HV40, Vixia Mini

StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 734

virtualkyr wrote:

A few weeks ago, a photographer friend of mine asked me to film a promo video for her high school senior model shoot. She had 27 beautiful girls she was shooting over a 4 day period. I said I'd do it and was excited to get to really test the video capabilities of my new Nikon D750.

What a workout it got! Several long days of shooting nothing but video and the camera worked like a champ. It never overheated and performed flawlessly. One day, I was on set for a full 8 hours with it on.

I found that the Standard Picture Profile and Auto WB2 setting gave very nice colors (warm) and I didn't have to do any color correction.

Looking forward to using this thing at a few weddings this year! Here's the video I made for her. Check it out!

2016 Senior Model Collection - Maria Moore Photography from KR Productions on Vimeo.

Very nice! Indeed, Nikon DSLRs do a great job in video (even if people don't recognize it that much). I have D7500 and shoot a music video on it, and it was great experience. AF in DSLR is a bit difficult to deal with, but now I have Z6, that shoots truly cinematic video. Anyway, good luck!

D7500's music video (4k to FHD), Flat profile, some color work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aHYnWvDlEg

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
K Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,015

virtualkyr wrote:

I upgraded to the Z6 about a year ago and have been using it. But I did film a wedding last weekend and actually used the D750 and 50 1.4 D quite a bit because that is still my go to bride prep set up. I just love the shallow DOF at 1.4.

On my Z6 I run the 24.70 2.8S (on glidecam), 85 1.8S, and 14-30 F4.

For me,I shoot neutral instead of flat, because I have an easier time matching that with my batch of Canon and Sony cameras for video.

Even after all these years, the D750 is still a very good video camera as long as you can deal with the focus.

@Virtualkyr — how do you like the Z6 ?       Looking to add the Z6 as a second body, and for more video work, because of the IBIS, and also the 120FPS.

K Joseph's gear list:K Joseph's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +7 more
RayGuselli
RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 16,758

Hi
I have a Panasonic Semi Pro 4k Camcorder but would also like to be able to use the benefits of a Full Frame sensor for video even if only 1080P using my D750.

I use video primarily for my daughter’s horse riding and show jumping which does require a lot of focus tracking and also some zoom as she might move some distance away in an arena or field.

The Panasonic does a remarkable job but ....can I do that with my D750 if I use the 28-300 lens for example, and if so, how?

Thank you very much

Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 734

RayGuselli wrote:

Hi
I have a Panasonic Semi Pro 4k Camcorder but would also like to be able to use the benefits of a Full Frame sensor for video even if only 1080P using my D750.

I use video primarily for my daughter’s horse riding and show jumping which does require a lot of focus tracking and also some zoom as she might move some distance away in an arena or field.

The Panasonic does a remarkable job but ....can I do that with my D750 if I use the 28-300 lens for example, and if so, how?

Thank you very much

Ray

I have doubts that D750 will be able to track for video, its AF module is for DSLR and has strong lens hunting. You can however, record video with D750 on manual with some conditions, given that you can edit the footage later. It will be good, just don't expect easy AF. Z6 as a mirrorless, has no troubles AF-ing on anything moving.

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
RayGuselli

Thank you very much....appreciated.

Best wishes Ray

-- hide signature --

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 3,761

RayGuselli wrote:

Hi

Thank you very much

Ray

I agree with Stonejack on this one.

The D750 video autofocus is bad, so you will need to do manual focus (as well as zoom by hand, obviously). Plus the D750 has no in built image stabilization (IBIS), so with such a big lens, you would probably want to use something like a monopod and a video head, which can get cumbersome.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
RayGuselli

Thank you off the mark...

Clearly a lot to consider and the 750, good as it is with stills is clearly not an alternative for my specific video needs.

Best wishes Ray

-- hide signature --

Ironfilm Regular Member • Posts: 218

Agreed, the D750 is quite amazing for both stills and video!

D750 might be the best ever 1080 DSLR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QnyKZSUcL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYuWIFTvZw

-- hide signature --

My YouTube vlog channel on pro sound recording: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads