If you own Nikon lenses, the D750 does amazing video.

Started May 30, 2015 | Discussions
virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 863
If you own Nikon lenses, the D750 does amazing video.

A few weeks ago, a photographer friend of mine asked me to film a promo video for her high school senior model shoot. She had 27 beautiful girls she was shooting over a 4 day period. I said I'd do it and was excited to get to really test the video capabilities of my new Nikon D750.

What a workout it got! Several long days of shooting nothing but video and the camera worked like a champ. It never overheated and performed flawlessly. One day, I was on set for a full 8 hours with it on.

I found that the Standard Picture Profile and Auto WB2 setting gave very nice colors (warm) and I didn't have to do any color correction.

Looking forward to using this thing at a few weddings this year! Here's the video I made for her. Check it out!

2016 Senior Model Collection - Maria Moore Photography from KR Productions on Vimeo.

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLR: Nikon D750, D90
Lenses: Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, Nikon 24-120 F4, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR2, and 35mm F1.8
Compact: Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30 and 30-110
Video: Sony NX5U, Canon XA20, Canon HV40, Canon Vixia Mini, GoPro Hero2, Adobe CC

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +22 more
Nikon D750 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,964
Re: If you own Nikon lenses, the D750 does amazing video.

virtualkyr wrote:

A few weeks ago, a photographer friend of mine asked me to film a promo video for her high school senior model shoot. She had 27 beautiful girls she was shooting over a 4 day period. I said I'd do it and was excited to get to really test the video capabilities of my new Nikon D750.

Nice video and very good colors. It looks quite soft. Did you shoot 720P?

virtualkyr
OP virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 863

It was shot at 1080 60p.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Vimeo compression. Watching the mater file on a 55" TV... it looks stunning!

Most of it was shot with the 24-120 F4 and it was very crispy sharp!

-- hide signature --

Lenses: Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, Nikon 24-120 F4, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR2, and 35mm F1.8
Video: Sony NX5U, Canon XA20, Canon HV40, Canon Vixia Mini, GoPro Hero2, Adobe CC

eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,907

virtualkyr wrote:

I found that the Standard Picture Profile and Auto WB2 setting gave very nice colors (warm) and I didn't have to do any color correction.

Yeah, not bad. But what is the Auto WB2 setting? Perhaps you might want to use manual WB during the future wedding sessions, anyway.

Looking forward to using this thing at a few weddings this year! Here's the video I made for her. Check it out!

2016 Senior Model Collection - Maria Moore Photography from KR Productions on Vimeo.

Nice work.

I don't know if you were expecting constructive feedback or not, but if you asked me to nit-pick... 

Well, some of the clips could have used a slightly different framing/composition without chopping the heads off the girls, perhaps slightly less camera movement for the sake of movement (although it wasn't too bad), and some clips might have looked even better with some selective lighting or flagging. Personally I might have filled the screen with the vertical still shots without black bars, perhaps with a Ken Burns or some other panning effect, but those are indeed all just minor nit-picking. As a BTS video it's just fine. I'm sure the girls and the photog like it, too.

Oh and don't worry about the sharpness/softness. There's nothing wrong with it.

You might even dial down the in-camera sharpness and contrast in the Standard profile when shooting, and then add a bit of sharpening in post if necessary. With a subject matter like that you don't even want to be razor sharp, anyway, or go for a 'camcorder' look, even though the skin of women that young could probably handle it.

If I wanted to tweak the footage, I'd rather use some subtle tweaks, perhaps with some NLE plugin that would go nicely with a standard colour profile like that without breaking the footage. Something to help taming highlight roll-off a bit, as well as tweaking the colours whenever necessary and giving the footage a sort of a 'cinematic' look. Not that you need that for this piece, but in general. I know of one or two such easy to use plugins, but they're for FCPX.

virtualkyr

eFilm wrote:

Yeah, not bad. But what is the Auto WB2 setting? Perhaps you might want to use manual WB during the future wedding sessions, anyway.

AWB2 is something Nikon has come up with to combat the fact that normal AWB tends to shift towards cooler color temps. This setting shifts towards the warmer end, making it more pleasing in my opinion.

For weddings I set WB manually and shoot the DSC Labs One Shot Target so I can match the colors and looks of all my cameras in post because I shoot Sony, Canon, Nikon, and GoPro for ceremonies. That way, they all look pretty much the same and there aren''t jarring color differences.

I don't know if you were expecting constructive feedback or not, but if you asked me to nit-pick...

Well, some of the clips could have used a slightly different framing/composition without chopping the heads off the girls, perhaps slightly less camera movement for the sake of movement (although it wasn't too bad), and some clips might have looked even better with some selective lighting or flagging. Personally I might have filled the screen with the vertical still shots without black bars, perhaps with a Ken Burns or some other panning effect, but those are indeed all just minor nit-picking. As a BTS video it's just fine. I'm sure the girls and the photog like it, too.

Everyone enjoyed it. There were a lot of things I would have liked to have done different, but ran out of time.

Oh and don't worry about the sharpness/softness. There's nothing wrong with it.

You might even dial down the in-camera sharpness and contrast in the Standard profile when shooting, and then add a bit of sharpening in post if necessary. With a subject matter like that you don't even want to be razor sharp, anyway, or go for a 'camcorder' look, even though the skin of women that young could probably handle it.

Good point, I've thought about lowering the sharpening in camera, as I've also heard that helps give a more "cinematic" kind of feel.

If I wanted to tweak the footage, I'd rather use some subtle tweaks, perhaps with some NLE plugin that would go nicely with a standard colour profile like that without breaking the footage. Something to help taming highlight roll-off a bit, as well as tweaking the colours whenever necessary and giving the footage a sort of a 'cinematic' look. Not that you need that for this piece, but in general. I know of one or two such easy to use plugins, but they're for FCPX.

I have Adobe Speedgrade which has a bunch of preset looks in it. I'll have to look more into that.

Thanks!
Kyle

-- hide signature --

Fotoni Contributing Member • Posts: 849

Panasonic GH4 and Samsung NX1 can do a lot better video and I have watched their videos at Vimeo. Those cameras are very much cheaper than D750

Nikon D750 is superior still image camera. Probably one of the best "full frame" camera currently for that task. I don't know why D750 has inferior video abilities considering its price.

Fotoni's gear list:Fotoni's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS
eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,907

virtualkyr wrote:

eFilm wrote:

AWB2 is something Nikon has come up with to combat the fact that normal AWB tends to shift towards cooler color temps. This setting shifts towards the warmer end, making it more pleasing in my opinion.

Sounds good and seems to be working fairly well in this kind of static scenario. Good to know. It was just the "auto" word that got me curious.

Everyone enjoyed it. There were a lot of things I would have liked to have done different, but ran out of time.

Yeap, we've all been there.

Good point, I've thought about lowering the sharpening in camera, as I've also heard that helps give a more "cinematic" kind of feel.

It's not just lowering the sharpening for the "cinematic" look, but it seems to work better to minimise in-camera sharpening and prefer subtle sharpening in post in general. Especially when shooting with typical mainstream cameras that tend to sharpen the footage as default, often giving it a "video-y" or "camcorderish" look. Once it's there, it's virtually impossible to remove it from the footage. It's easier and better looking the other way around. IMO, anyway.

As for the "cinematic" look, I tend to think it's more than just that subtle 'softness.' It's also about colour grading and lighting, framing and such. Things you can tweak, within limits, in footage like yours. Not that your piece needs any of that, though, but generally speaking.

I have Adobe Speedgrade which has a bunch of preset looks in it. I'll have to look more into that.

I think Speedgrade would also work with some popular LUT packages like ImpulZ and Osiris, if you happen to be in the mood. I think most of the presets come with a Rec709 version, too.

I don't usually use presets that much, especially when not working with flat curves, because it's so easy to look cheesy with them. But those can work reasonably well, with some tweaks.

FWIW, I don't intend to lecture or anything, I'm just geeking and thinking out loud.

Rahul Ranadive Regular Member • Posts: 108

virtualkyr wrote:

It was shot at 1080 60p.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Vimeo compression. Watching the mater file on a 55" TV... it looks stunning!

Thanks for posting the video. Its lovely. Some observations

1. I personally preferred the WB on the studio floor shots which seemed to be lit with a LED Panel? The ones with ambient light were a little cold.

2. I am looking to buy the D750 with the kit 24-120 and it made me feel good re the video quality from it. Given the FF sensor the shallow depth of field is both scary and beautiful. I have a few old AIs primes; and they are one of the main reasons to consider the D750 for stills.

3. Wherever you hit the focus right, the image looked remarkably sharp. How good is the focus tracking on video? My practice on smaller sensor camcorders, is to focus manually for critical focus and then switch on to Auto focus. It work in most situations. The Canon 70D was the first DSLR that managed it well.

4. Did the stills come from the photographer? OR did you grab them on the D750.

Do keep posting!! Best

virtualkyr

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

1. I personally preferred the WB on the studio floor shots which seemed to be lit with a LED Panel? The ones with ambient light were a little cold.

She was using a single big LED to help with pupil constriction. It wasn't for lighting the video.

2. I am looking to buy the D750 with the kit 24-120 and it made me feel good re the video quality from it. Given the FF sensor the shallow depth of field is both scary and beautiful. I have a few old AIs primes; and they are one of the main reasons to consider the D750 for stills.

Indeed the SDOF is very challenging to work with. In retrospect, I wish I had shot at higher than F4.

3. Wherever you hit the focus right, the image looked remarkably sharp. How good is the focus tracking on video? My practice on smaller sensor camcorders, is to focus manually for critical focus and then switch on to Auto focus. It work in most situations. The Canon 70D was the first DSLR that managed it well.

Focus tracking is not usable for video if subject is moving. Too much focus hunting. I wish there was a way for Nikon to implement something like the Canon DPAF system.

4. Did the stills come from the photographer? OR did you grab them on the D750.

Those were from her. Not me.

-- hide signature --

dolomick Junior Member • Posts: 38

Were you just using the lcd on the back of the camera for focusing, or some other aftermarket accessory? I'm trying to learn more about dslr video focusing with my new d750, thanks!

The Straw Man Regular Member • Posts: 334

Fotoni wrote:

Panasonic GH4 and Samsung NX1 can do a lot better video and I have watched their videos at Vimeo. Those cameras are very much cheaper than D750

Nikon D750 is superior still image camera. Probably one of the best "full frame" camera currently for that task. I don't know why D750 has inferior video abilities considering its price.

That's your opinon and you're entitled to it, but it really depends on your definition of "better." D750 has more DR than the NX1 and GH4, and the rolling shutter is better than the GH4 - both have been measured. The NX1 RS is better in 1080p (best you can find without a global shutter) and much, much worse in 4k (d90 bad, its terrible). The D750 is more detailed than the other two in 1080p and it handles moire and aliasing better. It also has a better native lens selection, better battery life, dual cards, more customizable control options and so on.

The D750 can't do 4k and it doesn't do 120fps like the NX1, but as a 1080p/24/25/30/50/60p camera is definitely better. I own the NX1 and have owned the GH4 and I've shot them pretty extensively. Nikons new flat profile is pretty amazing, better skin tones than the GH4 and it handles shadows/highlights really well, better colors overall than both. Nikon's color science ranks right up there with Canon's as the best. In my opinion.

The Straw Man's gear list:The Straw Man's gear list
Samsung NX1 Sony a7R II +1 more
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

very impressed.  whats the maximum bitrate the D750 will do ?

-- hide signature --

Sony A77 mkii - minolta lenses

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

virtualkyr wrote:

It was shot at 1080 60p.

I am sure it would be sharper at 30fps, but then you lose that smoothness of animation (which i like)  On my last camera i got 36mbps at 1080p @ 60 fps and like 28mbps at 1030@30fps.  if you think about it 60fps should double the bitrate, any less and you lose sharpness

-- hide signature --

Sony A77 mkii - minolta lenses

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm

The Straw Man wrote:

Fotoni wrote:

That's your opinon and you're entitled to it, but it really depends on your definition of "better." D750 has more DR than the NX1 and GH4, and the rolling shutter is better than the GH4 - both have been measured. The NX1 RS is better in 1080p (best you can find without a global shutter) and much, much worse in 4k (d90 bad, its terrible). The D750 is more detailed than the other two in 1080p and it handles moire and aliasing better. It also has a better native lens selection, better battery life, dual cards, more customizable control options and so on.

The D750 can't do 4k and it doesn't do 120fps like the NX1, but as a 1080p/24/25/30/50/60p camera is definitely better. I own the NX1 and have owned the GH4 and I've shot them pretty extensively. Nikons new flat profile is pretty amazing, better skin tones than the GH4 and it handles shadows/highlights really well, better colors overall than both. Nikon's color science ranks right up there with Canon's as the best. In my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting, that you are now a EX GH4 user. I have some plans where it would be better to have just one body to do both stills and video. The stills would be displayed mostly as 24 x 36 enlargements. All my previous commissioned work involving video has been on $5000 upwards camcorders. This would be my first dive into Dslr video for a planned documentary, shot mostly on tripod. So any comparisons between the Nikon D750 and Panasonic GH4 from real world users are welcome. Im not looking at 4K for the moment.

virtualkyr

I have a friend who has a GH4, and another who has an a7s.

Given my Nikon bias, I'd choose D750, a7s, and GH4 in terms of "out of camera" look. For some of these projects, I don't spend any time in post and getting a "nice look" right out of camera is important to me.

Personally, I've never been impressed with the GH4 footage I've seen. I'm not some super analyst and I do not know the in-camera settings used. It's possible they could be tweaked.

But, just based on my limited experiences with the 3 cameras, I don't like the look of the GH4 with out a lot of post work I guess you could say. And, I don't have time, nor getting paid the budget, for that on these promo reels.

-- hide signature --

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

The Straw Man wrote:

Fotoni wrote:

That's your opinon and you're entitled to it, but it really depends on your definition of "better." D750 has more DR than the NX1 and GH4, and the rolling shutter is better than the GH4 - both have been measured. The NX1 RS is better in 1080p (best you can find without a global shutter) and much, much worse in 4k (d90 bad, its terrible). The D750 is more detailed than the other two in 1080p and it handles moire and aliasing better. It also has a better native lens selection, better battery life, dual cards, more customizable control options and so on.

The D750 can't do 4k and it doesn't do 120fps like the NX1, but as a 1080p/24/25/30/50/60p camera is definitely better. I own the NX1 and have owned the GH4 and I've shot them pretty extensively. Nikons new flat profile is pretty amazing, better skin tones than the GH4 and it handles shadows/highlights really well, better colors overall than both. Nikon's color science ranks right up there with Canon's as the best. In my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting, that you are now a EX GH4 user. I have some plans where it would be better to have just one body to do both stills and video. The stills would be displayed mostly as 24 x 36 enlargements. All my previous commissioned work involving video has been on $5000 upwards camcorders. This would be my first dive into Dslr video for a planned documentary, shot mostly on tripod. So any comparisons between the Nikon D750 and Panasonic GH4 from real world users are welcome. Im not looking at 4K for the moment.

If you're shooting lots of people, the D750 colors SOOC are much more pleasing IMO. The GH4 has a plasticky look to skin tones, google it, you'll see lots of complaints. I couldn't get rid of that look and my color grading skills aren't to the point where I can fix it in post. The Nikon flat profile is a breeze, nail your WB, add a little contrast and saturation in post and it looks great. I use Film Convert to get the final look.

The price of entry is a little higher with the D750, but its a much better stills camera and as a 1080p camera, IMO the IQ is superior. The audio in the D750 is cleaner, I plug a Rode Videomic Pro or a Sennheiser G2 wireless and there was always a hiss with the GH4 that I don't get with the D750.

For stills there's really no comparison, just look at the comparison images here or on Imaging Resource, more detail with the extra 8mp, less noise and more DR. The D750's AF is far better in low light situations. The D750 tops out at 60p, the GH4 does 96fps, but the resolution is noticeably worse.

The GH4 has the advantage of better AF in video and a tilt/swivel LCD. Its smaller and your lens costs will be a little lower. So your kit will be a little lighter. You can also adapt pretty much any legacy lens to the GH4, your options are very limited with the D750, but old Nikkors are great cine lenses. And if you're shooting stills in low light or anything that's moving the D750's AF is much better - the two areas that mirrorless really struggle.

I use the Tokina/Angineux 28-70/2.6-2.8 as my everyday video lens (great manual focus with hard stops and a manual aperture that's also an AF lens) with a few faster primes for low light and shallow DOF shots. Paid $300 for the Tokina. Fast zooms in m43 land are much more, and unless you use a speedbooster your standard zoom becomes a tele.

My kit right now consists of the D750, the Samsung NX1 and a Sony A5100 (love the 10-18 for UWA shots). The D750 gets wonderful skin tones SOOC, see the image below - that's in a room with tons of sunlight blasting in all around, and a mix of incandescent/florescent lights overhead. She's lit with a small hotshoe mounted LED and I used the Tokina. Its a touch soft WO, but it makes people look good.

SOOC, D750, 1080/30p, shot for broadcast.

virtualkyr wrote:

I have a friend who has a GH4, and another who has an a7s.

Given my Nikon bias, I'd choose D750, a7s, and GH4 in terms of "out of camera" look. For some of these projects, I don't spend any time in post and getting a "nice look" right out of camera is important to me.

Personally, I've never been impressed with the GH4 footage I've seen. I'm not some super analyst and I do not know the in-camera settings used. It's possible they could be tweaked.

But, just based on my limited experiences with the 3 cameras, I don't like the look of the GH4 with out a lot of post work I guess you could say. And, I don't have time, nor getting paid the budget, for that on these promo reels.

Thanks for your response. Your equipment lists shows Camcorders. How do you make the choice between going for lets say the Canon XA20 and a Nikon D750. I can appreciate the compactness of the camcorder and the XLR audio inputs, but would the sheer Image Quality be the main reason to go out with the FF D750. I prefer SOOC images rather than working with Da Vinci---unless a special look is intended. I am hearing that a mic plugged straight into D750 sounds ok? Will have to check if the top gun Senniheiser 416 sounds ok that way.If the external Zoom or Tascam can be avoided in most situations--its so much easier to shoot.

The Straw Man wrote:

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

The Straw Man wrote:

Fotoni wrote:

If you're shooting lots of people, the D750 colors SOOC are much more pleasing IMO. The GH4 has a plasticky look to skin tones, google it, you'll see lots of complaints. I couldn't get rid of that look and my color grading skills aren't to the point where I can fix it in post. The Nikon flat profile is a breeze, nail your WB, add a little contrast and saturation in post and it looks great. I use Film Convert to get the final look.

The price of entry is a little higher with the D750, but its a much better stills camera and as a 1080p camera, IMO the IQ is superior. The audio in the D750 is cleaner, I plug a Rode Videomic Pro or a Sennheiser G2 wireless and there was always a hiss with the GH4 that I don't get with the D750.

For stills there's really no comparison, just look at the comparison images here or on Imaging Resource, more detail with the extra 8mp, less noise and more DR. The D750's AF is far better in low light situations. The D750 tops out at 60p, the GH4 does 96fps, but the resolution is noticeably worse.

The GH4 has the advantage of better AF in video and a tilt/swivel LCD. Its smaller and your lens costs will be a little lower. So your kit will be a little lighter. You can also adapt pretty much any legacy lens to the GH4, your options are very limited with the D750, but old Nikkors are great cine lenses. And if you're shooting stills in low light or anything that's moving the D750's AF is much better - the two areas that mirrorless really struggle.

I use the Tokina/Angineux 28-70/2.6-2.8 as my everyday video lens (great manual focus with hard stops and a manual aperture that's also an AF lens) with a few faster primes for low light and shallow DOF shots. Paid $300 for the Tokina. Fast zooms in m43 land are much more, and unless you use a speedbooster your standard zoom becomes a tele.

My kit right now consists of the D750, the Samsung NX1 and a Sony A5100 (love the 10-18 for UWA shots). The D750 gets wonderful skin tones SOOC, see the image below - that's in a room with tons of sunlight blasting in all around, and a mix of incandescent/florescent lights overhead. She's lit with a small hotshoe mounted LED and I used the Tokina. Its a touch soft WO, but it makes people look good.

I prefer OUT OF CAMERA images--work with Da Vinci only on special projects. Are you using the Nikon flat profile all the time? I am looking to go with the 24-120 kit and my old AIs primes, though the Tamron 15-30 is being eyed for a later day purchase. Its good to know the quality mics plugged in straight into the camera sound ok. I have the highly regarded Senn 416 and some radio mics. and would prefer not having the Zoom or Tascam hooked up all the time.

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

The Straw Man wrote:

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

The Straw Man wrote:

Fotoni wrote:

I prefer OUT OF CAMERA images--work with Da Vinci only on special projects. Are you using the Nikon flat profile all the time? I am looking to go with the 24-120 kit and my old AIs primes, though the Tamron 15-30 is being eyed for a later day purchase. Its good to know the quality mics plugged in straight into the camera sound ok. I have the highly regarded Senn 416 and some radio mics. and would prefer not having the Zoom or Tascam hooked up all the time.

Yes, I always use the flat profile to get the maximum DR.

I like the 15-30 or the 14-24G, but the size/cost compared to my tiny little Sony A5100/10-18 (bought both cheap used) is tough to swallow. Plus I can shoot wide shots without lens changes or put it on top of the D750 for a different perspective/cutaway shot without doing anything else. I use ND filters and polarizers in bright daylight and a FL-d when shooting cityscapes at night, the bulbous front element makes that difficult/expensive on the 15-30 and 14-24.

The Straw Man wrote:

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

The Straw Man wrote:

Rahul Ranadive wrote:

The Straw Man wrote:

Fotoni wrote:

Yes, I always use the flat profile to get the maximum DR.

I like the 15-30 or the 14-24G, but the size/cost compared to my tiny little Sony A5100/10-18 (bought both cheap used) is tough to swallow. Plus I can shoot wide shots without lens changes or put it on top of the D750 for a different perspective/cutaway shot without doing anything else. I use ND filters and polarizers in bright daylight and a FL-d when shooting cityscapes at night, the bulbous front element makes that difficult/expensive on the 15-30 and 14-24.

Using the APSC Sony is a great idea. If you are using it as a regular gig--it must be matching the "superior" FF D750. I live in India, and getting second hand stuff is not easy--nor is most of the new stuff. But we manage.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads