Panasonic Lumix Future Lens Development Input Wanted.

Started May 25, 2015 | Discussions
danieljcox
danieljcox Senior Member • Posts: 1,038
Panasonic Lumix Future Lens Development Input Wanted.

Hey MFT guys and gals,

I'm hoping you all might want to add your voice to a discussion regarding Panasoinc future lens development for the Lumix system. I would love to have any of you interested to stop by my Blog to add your voice. I'm meeting with two Sr. Executives from Tokyo on June 2nd. to discuss my thoughts about what lenses I would like to see them develop. But it would be nice to hear from a bigger audience. If you have an opinion I would enjoy hearing from you. You can post it here or on my Blog at http://naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-future-lens-development-add-your-voice/ This is our chance to have our voices heard. Please stop by and give your opinion. tie is of the essence.

danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +15 more
bradevans Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: Panasonic Lumix Future Lens Development Input Wanted.

Since you asked::

Long lens or zoom for birds in flight / airshows.  Or improvement to focus of the 100-300 at the long end

maybe a 12-60 or even 10-50 as a "walk around tourist lens". f4 all the west through

good luck. Should be fascinating to compile the response and the reaction

thanks for posting

bradevans's gear list:bradevans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +13 more
cainn24 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
What we need is...

...a range of zoom lenses that are sharper than the typical kit-grade zooms but not necessarily as fast as the pro lenses. All the f/2.8 zooms annoy me because they are just too big and heavy for the limited range that they offer and since I don't care about shooting them wide open anyway I personally don't see the tradeoff as worth it.

Others disagree and that's fine. I'm not saying that they shouldn't exist. They absolutely should. But Panasonic would definitely get more money out of me (and I think many others) if there was something in the middle.

And Power OIS is a must. No more of this antiquated Mega OIS nonsense

Terminal Boy Senior Member • Posts: 1,259

bradevans wrote:

Since you asked::

Long lens or zoom for birds in flight / airshows. Or improvement to focus of the 100-300 at the long end

maybe a 12-60 or even 10-50 as a "walk around tourist lens". f4 all the west through

good luck. Should be fascinating to compile the response and the reaction

thanks for posting

Exactly this.

Longer zoom no larger than current 100-300. With a tripod mounting point.

10-50 f4 would make a an excellent "all rounder" lens.

Terminal Boy's gear list:Terminal Boy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,298

danieljcox wrote:

Hey MFT guys and gals,

I'm hoping you all might want to add your voice to a discussion regarding Panasoinc future lens development for the Lumix system. I would love to have any of you interested to stop by my Blog to add your voice. I'm meeting with two Sr. Executives from Tokyo on June 2nd. to discuss my thoughts about what lenses I would like to see them develop. But it would be nice to hear from a bigger audience. If you have an opinion I would enjoy hearing from you. You can post it here or on my Blog at http://naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-future-lens-development-add-your-voice/ This is our chance to have our voices heard. Please stop by and give your opinion. tie is of the essence.

Panasonic-Leica f/2.0 17mm and 25mm Summicrons, , in real metal bodies, that are as small, have image quality and sharpness good as the regular Leica Summicrons, and don't have excessive CA or show banding on Olympus bodies.

A 7-14mm version 2 with a rear filter mount, like the 8mm FE, so it can be used on Olympus bodies with a 2A filter to stop the purple flair. It would be nice if the filter was included with the lens.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept" Henri Cartier-Bresson

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Leica M9 Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +3 more
cainn24 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

bs1946 wrote:

purple flair

https://vimeo.com/102830089

zvim Junior Member • Posts: 38

An update to the 100-300 zoom (shorter and lighter, if possible, but mostly sharper and faster focus at the long end!)

zvim's gear list:zvim's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +9 more
khoss Veteran Member • Posts: 4,946
love a 400 5.6
 khoss's gear list:khoss's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL1 +4 more
gandalfII Senior Member • Posts: 1,952

A 1.4 teleconverter that works with all m43 lenses.  Personally I would use it on an oly 75 but the pana 35-100/2.8 and 45mm macros would benefit too, among others I'm sure.

RickPick
RickPick Senior Member • Posts: 1,329

I also think an updated 100-300 lens to complement the excellent 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 zooms would enhance the lineup significantly. It would have to be slower than f2.8 to still be compact, I'm sure. It would need to be in the same ball park as the two X zooms price-wise I think to sell. Those two seem to have sold well and I think this would too. It is really the only focal length lacking now at the highest quality level.

Perhaps in the realms of fantasy, but an ultra-wide prime, 7 or 8 mm and as fast as possible would really go down well with the GH4 4K shooters!

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,719

1. 100-300 f4.0 with the quality of the 12-35 f2.8 and 35-200 f2.8.

2. 1.4xTC

3. Updated 7-14 f4.0 with rear filter holder built in.

4. 10-50 f4.0 general walk about len.

Dave
--
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3380136992_7c5a0986ea_m.jpg

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,727

Since M43 is two stops after on DOF and roughly 1,5 steps on ISO performance, I'd like some fast glass to compensate that. All fast glass available today like the ones at f0,95 are manual focus, so it would be nice with such primes with AF. And zooms as bright as possible.

If the larger aperture makes a lens bigger in size that is rather okey as long as the weight isn't going to FF levels, so if it is possible to produce such lenses with modern light materials that would be very nice. The size of lenses (and bodys) are of course nice if they are small but it is the weight that is the real problem when one needs to carry around the stuff.

Also the lens must be sharp at the largest aperture so it makes sense to actually use it with that.

Weather sealing so one can actually shot when the light is low and conditions are dramatic, since that is actually when the nicest images are captured.

And cameras must be made to draw out maximum sharpness of the lenses, so please tell them to give us a toggle between the faster 10-bit readout of the e-shutter and a more quality but slower 12-bit mode. Would just be a software change if I understand the technology correct.

Older Panasonics e-shutter does have 12-bit readout if my info is correct, like G5/G6/GX7/GH3 but newer ones only have 10-bits which gives more shadow noise.

Also, in the lack of EFCS (Electronic First Curtain Shutter) I would like a mode where I am able to choose what shutter times I engage the E-shutter in. A hybrid mode that is. So for instance I want to be able to set that from 1 second to 1/320 or whatever, I want the e-shutter and the mechanical shutter I want for the rest of the speeds. Wouldn't either be so hard to implement, probably just software that needs fixing.

And if I try to turn on the flash while in e-shutter mode, the camera could just ask if I want to leave silent e-shutter mode or not (today at least on my G6 it just ignores if I fold up the flash when in e-shutter).

A proper EFCS implementation with the mechanical shutter or a global shutter would of course be very welcome to reduce any vibrations.

More megapixels if they can be made sharp (meaning that the lenses must cope with that resolution). I only need more megapixels if I can crop the picture when I missed the framing due to fast action or not enough reach on the lens that was on the body at the time. I don't need more megapixels just to fill up space on my harddrive.

Panasonic is very video centric but their slogan is "Changing Photography". Yes, video is probably also within that term but we are quite some people that uses the cameras for stills only (I haven't even checked if the video function in my camera works). The 4K photo modes are on the other hand very welcome and seems helpful and exciting also for stills shooters so if they can draw more such functions out of the 4K video possibilities that would be nice. Maybe some sort of 4K video photo mode that during one second drives the AF somewhat in front and back of the set AF point and where I can choose how big those steps shall be. Can be used in macro to basically focus stack the afterwards chosen frames to get more DOF. To ultra adjust the focus afterwards in a regular shot if it was slightly missed and to do cool DOF control afterwards almost Lytro style.

Back to lenses and some things that irritates me:

1) Putting a Panasonic lens on a Olympus body gives more purple fringing due to weaker UV filters in Oly bodys. This is bad for the system so please fix in new lenses and have the same strength of UV filters in Pana lenses as Olympus have or get Oly to have stronger UV filters in their bodys. People see M43 as one system and it is competing against APS-C and FF systems. Please cooperate more within the M43 companies and make incompatibles go away and stop nonsense issues like these. In the mean time since we have these problems, put out a series of UV2A filters for the Pana lenses with good multi coating (the ones from Tiffen and Formatt flare rather much due to single coating). And put Anders Ws trick with rear filter holder from the fisheye on the 7-14 lens as standard, will probably increase sales. UWA lenses that take ND filters to photograph waves and waterfalls with long shutter times are there not many of, no matter system (hence why Lee filters have these enormous front filters available). Also sell correctly sized filters for the rear filter holder: UV2A and ND for instance.

2) Oly has a function button on several lenses but it only works on Oly bodies and Pana has an aperture ring on some lenses that only works on Pana bodys. Again, nonsense, please fix asap between the systems.

3) DFD only works with Pana lenses. Go and profile other manufacturers current AF lenses as well (Sigma, Tamron, Oly etc) and also let them put that profile into their lens firmware on new releases as Pana does themselves.

That was my two Swedish Ören (= our "cents").

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
I'm from Sweden, but my pictures are in all languages: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,424
Lucky dip ...

This is an open invitation to spray out the proverbial "lucky pick" of choices.

Obviously the popular range of lens types is already covered and must move to the more exotic types.  But there will be many more suggestions than there will be those that will actually front up and buy the the lenses they suggest at the prices that they must necessarily be.

Therefore I wonder just what use such a survey might be to Panasonic. Better if real money was where the mouth might be. The big test is when the lens makes it into the shops.  It is as easy as falling off a log to see that a "cheap" 45/1.8 will sell much better than an expensive 4.5/1.2, but just how easy is "easy" - that might be another story.

For example - a slower but higher quality range of zoom lenses seems to have hit a sweet spot on this thread but faster lenses come naturally with the expensive high quality territory.

So how much cheaper has a "better quality" (say) 45/3.5 have to be to be worth regarded better than a 45/1.8 and more desirable than a 45/1.2?  (not zooms of course but I just use known examples).

What is really beng asked is for cheap high quality lenses - it doesn't matter if they are slow.

Hey, there are a couple of cheap, really slow, lens cap lenses from Olympus - pity they are not zooms.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,657

IMO it is desperately important to update the 100-300 lens so it can S-AF and C-AF while keeping up with the fastest burst modes for the GH4 and the next-gen top shooter e.g. GH5.

Level 2 update of same lens: make an 'L' version like Canon did with the 70-300 f4/5.6, with top optics and higher price.

-- hide signature --

Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
d3xmeister Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380

100-300mm f/4 or even f/4-5.6 but make it sharp at the long end and fast focus and aperture mechanism

7-14mm f4 with OIS

12-60mm f/4 OIS would be nice

The only lens I actually ,,need,, is the 100-400mm f/4 or f/5.6 with sharp optics and fast af and aperture.

lahsrah Contributing Member • Posts: 603

- A variable aperture premium lens 12-40 F2-F3.5.

- A variable aperture telephoto premium lens 75-200 F2.8-F5.6

- An upgraded 20mm F1.7 with fast AF

- A wide angle prime.  10mm F3.5 will do for me.

-- hide signature --
chad515
chad515 Regular Member • Posts: 306

An upgraded 20mm with faster/quieter autofocus that supports AFC. It's a gem of a lens as it is, but it's autofocus is sorely lacking compared to most of the rest of the current MFT lenses.

chad515's gear list:chad515's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +5 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,920
Re: Lucky dip ...

Tom Caldwell wrote:

This is an open invitation to spray out the proverbial "lucky pick" of choices.

Obviously the popular range of lens types is already covered and must move to the more exotic types. But there will be many more suggestions than there will be those that will actually front up and buy the the lenses they suggest at the prices that they must necessarily be.

Therefore I wonder just what use such a survey might be to Panasonic. Better if real money was where the mouth might be. The big test is when the lens makes it into the shops. It is as easy as falling off a log to see that a "cheap" 45/1.8 will sell much better than an expensive 4.5/1.2, but just how easy is "easy" - that might be another story.

For example - a slower but higher quality range of zoom lenses seems to have hit a sweet spot on this thread but faster lenses come naturally with the expensive high quality territory.

So how much cheaper has a "better quality" (say) 45/3.5 have to be to be worth regarded better than a 45/1.8 and more desirable than a 45/1.2? (not zooms of course but I just use known examples).

What is really beng asked is for cheap high quality lenses - it doesn't matter if they are slow.

Hey, there are a couple of cheap, really slow, lens cap lenses from Olympus - pity they are not zooms.

100% agreed.

If photographers looking for the best lenses, there are already a lot of choices from Canikon. Mostly likely they may have well stock of it having no need to wait for M43's supply.

Concentrating in high quality, economic lenses covering more wider range of applications like UWA and long telephoto would be more appealing to the general public of M43 community. Says, something like 6mm~12mm f/4 or f/5.6, or 200~400 f/5.6~f/6.3 etc and keep them small and light similar to 35-100 f/4~5.6 vs 35-100 f/.2.8, it would definitely create a WOW factor to the market ... Together with (rather to compete /redundancy with) Oly's pro lenses for the f/2.8 zone, M43 would make the history ....

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,920
E-shutter and Flash

lattesweden wrote:

Since M43 is two stops after on DOF and roughly 1,5 steps on ISO performance, I'd like some fast glass to compensate that. All fast glass available today like the ones at f0,95 are manual focus, so it would be nice with such primes with AF. And zooms as bright as possible.

If the larger aperture makes a lens bigger in size that is rather okey as long as the weight isn't going to FF levels, so if it is possible to produce such lenses with modern light materials that would be very nice. The size of lenses (and bodys) are of course nice if they are small but it is the weight that is the real problem when one needs to carry around the stuff.

Also the lens must be sharp at the largest aperture so it makes sense to actually use it with that.

Weather sealing so one can actually shot when the light is low and conditions are dramatic, since that is actually when the nicest images are captured.

And cameras must be made to draw out maximum sharpness of the lenses, so please tell them to give us a toggle between the faster 10-bit readout of the e-shutter and a more quality but slower 12-bit mode. Would just be a software change if I understand the technology correct.

Older Panasonics e-shutter does have 12-bit readout if my info is correct, like G5/G6/GX7/GH3 but newer ones only have 10-bits which gives more shadow noise.

Also, in the lack of EFCS (Electronic First Curtain Shutter) I would like a mode where I am able to choose what shutter times I engage the E-shutter in. A hybrid mode that is. So for instance I want to be able to set that from 1 second to 1/320 or whatever, I want the e-shutter and the mechanical shutter I want for the rest of the speeds. Wouldn't either be so hard to implement, probably just software that needs fixing.

And if I try to turn on the flash while in e-shutter mode, the camera could just ask if I want to leave silent e-shutter mode or not (today at least on my G6 it just ignores if I fold up the flash when in e-shutter).

Sorry for my intrusion irrelevant to this thread. Just wish to suggest, store a setting like S mode + mechanical shutter (E-shutter off) into one of your C menu. Whenever flash would be needed, just call up that C menu and you would have immediate effect of E-shutter disable and let flash be ready to shoot anytime. Afterward, shift back to your normal shooting mode having e-shutter back on....

A proper EFCS implementation with the mechanical shutter or a global shutter would of course be very welcome to reduce any vibrations.

More megapixels if they can be made sharp (meaning that the lenses must cope with that resolution). I only need more megapixels if I can crop the picture when I missed the framing due to fast action or not enough reach on the lens that was on the body at the time. I don't need more megapixels just to fill up space on my harddrive.

Panasonic is very video centric but their slogan is "Changing Photography". Yes, video is probably also within that term but we are quite some people that uses the cameras for stills only (I haven't even checked if the video function in my camera works). The 4K photo modes are on the other hand very welcome and seems helpful and exciting also for stills shooters so if they can draw more such functions out of the 4K video possibilities that would be nice. Maybe some sort of 4K video photo mode that during one second drives the AF somewhat in front and back of the set AF point and where I can choose how big those steps shall be. Can be used in macro to basically focus stack the afterwards chosen frames to get more DOF. To ultra adjust the focus afterwards in a regular shot if it was slightly missed and to do cool DOF control afterwards almost Lytro style.

Back to lenses and some things that irritates me:

1) Putting a Panasonic lens on a Olympus body gives more purple fringing due to weaker UV filters in Oly bodys. This is bad for the system so please fix in new lenses and have the same strength of UV filters in Pana lenses as Olympus have or get Oly to have stronger UV filters in their bodys. People see M43 as one system and it is competing against APS-C and FF systems. Please cooperate more within the M43 companies and make incompatibles go away and stop nonsense issues like these. In the mean time since we have these problems, put out a series of UV2A filters for the Pana lenses with good multi coating (the ones from Tiffen and Formatt flare rather much due to single coating). And put Anders Ws trick with rear filter holder from the fisheye on the 7-14 lens as standard, will probably increase sales. UWA lenses that take ND filters to photograph waves and waterfalls with long shutter times are there not many of, no matter system (hence why Lee filters have these enormous front filters available). Also sell correctly sized filters for the rear filter holder: UV2A and ND for instance.

2) Oly has a function button on several lenses but it only works on Oly bodies and Pana has an aperture ring on some lenses that only works on Pana bodys. Again, nonsense, please fix asap between the systems.

3) DFD only works with Pana lenses. Go and profile other manufacturers current AF lenses as well (Sigma, Tamron, Oly etc) and also let them put that profile into their lens firmware on new releases as Pana does themselves.

That was my two Swedish Ören (= our "cents").

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
I'm from Sweden, but my pictures are in all languages: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,657

Don't forget to ask 'em about the 150mm f/2.8, and if it is stalled, please resurrect it and make sure it is particularly compact when not in use. Collapsible if necessary. Remind them that Panasonic users without IBIS cannot use the 40-150 PRO Olympus except on a tripod, and even Olympus users would be interested in a 150mm prime if it was particularly compact and had high-contrast optics.

-- hide signature --

Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads