Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Started May 21, 2015 | Discussions
alex83168 New Member • Posts: 4
Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

hi everyone,

I love my sony a7II, but lately a wierd error pops up "This accessory is not supported by the device and cannot be used. Please verify the compatibility with the device."

This has been a super annoying popup & there are no accessories attached. I did clean the flash shoe contacts, the lens contacts, reinitialized & also reset the camera, but still pops up.

Any way to stop it? please help!

thanks!

Pieterbaan
Pieterbaan Contributing Member • Posts: 915
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.
1

Are you using a hotshoe cover? If so remove it and try again.

Inspect the small contacts at the end of the hotshoe is there maybe something that could make a connection between the contacts, or is there a contact twisted? (if the last is so I would go to the shop and let it be repaired, you can do more harm then good in the end.)

You could als remove the lens and see  if the message appears when you switch your camera on.

When this does not help it is back to the shop for a repair/replacement...

 Pieterbaan's gear list:Pieterbaan's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
OP alex83168 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Pieterbaan wrote:

Are you using a hotshoe cover? If so remove it and try again.

Inspect the small contacts at the end of the hotshoe is there maybe something that could make a connection between the contacts, or is there a contact twisted? (if the last is so I would go to the shop and let it be repaired, you can do more harm then good in the end.)

You could als remove the lens and see if the message appears when you switch your camera on.

When this does not help it is back to the shop for a repair/replacement...

Tried removing hotshoe cover - still popping up. Contacts are clean & not twisted either, & still happening with no lens mounted

Is it because of moisture that must have caused it? I frequently shoot near the beaches ..

tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Pieterbaan wrote:

Are you using a hotshoe cover? If so remove it and try again.

Inspect the small contacts at the end of the hotshoe is there maybe something that could make a connection between the contacts, or is there a contact twisted? (if the last is so I would go to the shop and let it be repaired, you can do more harm then good in the end.)

You could als remove the lens and see if the message appears when you switch your camera on.

When this does not help it is back to the shop for a repair/replacement...

Sounds like hotshoe leads are shorting like suggested above. Local landscape guy had some sea water spill into hotshoe ==> leads to same error message and off to the repairs went his A7R.

 tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +5 more
sidebyside Senior Member • Posts: 1,276
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Don't spend anymore time messing with it. Send it in for repair. I got a message a few weeks ago saying "Camera Error. Turn power off then back on". Nothing worked and my camera was totally unusable. It's in for repair right now. Call this phone number for Sony repair if you're in the USA (1 239 245-6360) and explain what your camera is doing. They will send you a shipping label and tell you what to include in the shipping box. Make sure you include a copy of your original purchase receipt. They didn't tell me to do that and it slowed down the repair process. Good luck.

Andy

mkaiserco New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.
2

sidebyside wrote:

Don't spend anymore time messing with it. Send it in for repair. I got a message a few weeks ago saying "Camera Error. Turn power off then back on". Nothing worked and my camera was totally unusable. It's in for repair right now. Call this phone number for Sony repair if you're in the USA (1 239 245-6360) and explain what your camera is doing. They will send you a shipping label and tell you what to include in the shipping box. Make sure you include a copy of your original purchase receipt. They didn't tell me to do that and it slowed down the repair process. Good luck.

Andy

I just had a productive online chat with Sony Support about this problem.  They suggested that I do a power reset, as follows . . .

1. Power off the camera.

2. Remove the battery and memory card.

3. Reinsert the battery.

4. Power on the camera.

5. After a minute, power off the camera.

6. Reinsert the memory card.

After I performed this procedure, the error message was gone.

Your mileage may vary.  But if it works for you, you've just saved yourself a ton of hassle and time without your camera.

Mike

OP alex83168 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

mkaiserco wrote:

sidebyside wrote:

Don't spend anymore time messing with it. Send it in for repair. I got a message a few weeks ago saying "Camera Error. Turn power off then back on". Nothing worked and my camera was totally unusable. It's in for repair right now. Call this phone number for Sony repair if you're in the USA (1 239 245-6360) and explain what your camera is doing. They will send you a shipping label and tell you what to include in the shipping box. Make sure you include a copy of your original purchase receipt. They didn't tell me to do that and it slowed down the repair process. Good luck.

Andy

I just had a productive online chat with Sony Support about this problem. They suggested that I do a power reset, as follows . . .

1. Power off the camera.

2. Remove the battery and memory card.

3. Reinsert the battery.

4. Power on the camera.

5. After a minute, power off the camera.

6. Reinsert the memory card.

After I performed this procedure, the error message was gone.

Your mileage may vary. But if it works for you, you've just saved yourself a ton of hassle and time without your camera.

Mike

Thanks for outlining the steps Mike & Andy.

I just got the camera back from the Sony repair center from CT, & it still displays the same problem! Not sure what they did during the two week repair

Also performed the steps a few times, no dice. The error still pops as soon as I start the cam, with no accessories attached, & using original Sony battery. *SIGH*

Alex

Darwinrox Regular Member • Posts: 356
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

alex83168 wrote:

Thanks for outlining the steps Mike & Andy.

I just got the camera back from the Sony repair center from CT, & it still displays the same problem! Not sure what they did during the two week repair

Also performed the steps a few times, no dice. The error still pops as soon as I start the cam, with no accessories attached, & using original Sony battery. *SIGH*

Alex

That sounds really frustrating. Doesn't give one much confidence in Sony service, unfortunately. Good luck with it.

 Darwinrox's gear list:Darwinrox's gear list
Sony a7R II +1 more
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,888
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

If what you say is true then Sony Service need heavy crticism. To send a camera back with no comment & for it not to be working is deplorable.

Is it still under warranty , if so demand a new camera.

OP alex83168 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Keit ll wrote:

If what you say is true then Sony Service need heavy crticism. To send a camera back with no comment & for it not to be working is deplorable.

Is it still under warranty , if so demand a new camera.

Agreed. Just got off the phone with  Sony tech support, & they want me re-send it back to the Service Center in CT for repair. Absolutely outrageous!

Depending on the analysis, the Service center tech would make a recommendation to Sony, if the unit needs to be replaced, or if its a lemon/DOA, & then the unit will be replaced.

Also, when any electronic device including cameras, when sent back from the Service center, it gets an additional 90 day warranty.

Attached are the pics for reference, the screws have been replaced with old/worn out ones, indicating the unit was possibly opened by the tech.

Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 7,601
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Just for the record: similar unsupported device message with the A7 (16-35 lens only).

Is the A7II error warning permanent or when using one specific lens only?

Thibsang New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

hum, same here...

 Thibsang's gear list:Thibsang's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,405
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.
1

alex83168 wrote:

I love my sony a7II, but lately a wierd error pops up "This accessory is not supported by the device and cannot be used. Please verify the compatibility with the device."

That error can be caused when moisture shorts out the contacts at the front of the Sony Multi-Interface shoe.

The manual warns you to always keep the plastic cover on the MI shoe unless you have a flash, microphone or other accessory in the shoe - and this is why.

I got an email from a friend who had this very issue. I suggested using a hair dryer on low to dry out the contacts, but he came up with a better solution. He placed a small desk lamp above the shoe - just not too close - and left it there overnight. In the morning the error was gone.

Once you clear this up be certain to keep the plastic cover on the MI shoe whenever it's not in use.

 Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7S III Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +9 more
Thibsang New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Of note the error started popping-up after a spray from a wave crashing on rocks in Indonesia. The spray was far from soaking us and the hotshoe interface was protected by the plastic.

Maybe I was very unlucky with a droplet landing at the very wrong spot but it is difficult not feeling a bit disapointed by the dust and moist resistant claim...

Anyway, thanks to Brian for giving us a new hope before going to repair!

 Thibsang's gear list:Thibsang's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV
Thibsang New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

It has been a few weeks now that the problem is solved after using the hairdryer technique!

Thank you!

 Thibsang's gear list:Thibsang's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 228
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

Thibsang wrote:

hum, same here...

Ugh, I also got the same error on my camera. This is typical Sony!

mcd921 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.
1

I had the same error after shooting at the beach. I moistened the end of a rolled up piece of paper towel that was folded to slide inside the hot shoe and touch the contacts. I then slid a dry piece of paper towel folded in the same way to absorb any residual. This fixed the error on my A7ii.

I would recommend several attempts with this method, as well as delicately brushing with a lens brush (to loosen any dust), prior to considering contacting service.

Igor Rotsen New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.
1

Thanks everyone on this post!

I had the same error today, first link i found on google was this one.

I cleaned everythink with a brush and a air rocket, tried the "power on, remove card, etc.." method and no sucess., I read the coment about the light and the air dryer to remove any moisture from the hot shoe conector, i took the camera put it on the sae for 30 min and worked! so glad it worked!

Thank everyone so much! it saved me a lot of time and money.

John Borrelli
John Borrelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
Re: Sony A7II error : this accessory not supported the device and cannot be used.

I have mentioned in other similar threads that I had the same issue with My A7r2. The error message went away for a while but then returned after photography in the rain. During initial salt water exposure I used a level that mounts in the hot shoe but apparently that doesn’t provide the same level of protection as the hot shoe cover. Eventually the entire camera stopped working though the shutter still seems to fire but no Functioning viewfinder and no lcd. I might try the procedure mentioned by mkaiserco above but I was able to get an A7R4 for the weather sealing and have gaffers tape on the way as well as Optech rain covers which I have already purchased. Best of luck to others with this problem,

-- hide signature --

John Borrelli

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads