In Photos app what does the J in white square box (lower bottom left of thumbnails) mean?

Started May 12, 2015 | Questions
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,783
In Photos app what does the J in white square box (lower bottom left of thumbnails) mean?

Hello,

New to using Photos app on iMac.

What does the J in white box, lower bottom left of thumbnails, mean?

Also, does Photos app thumbnails identify photos shot in RAW?  Where do I find that info?

Thanks.

Lena

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Apple iPhone 6 Plus +3 more
ANSWER:
mrnorwegian New Member • Posts: 6
Re: In Photos app what does the J in white square box (lower bottom left of thumbnails) mean?

When you shoot RAW + JPEG the Photos app stacks the two images together. The J means you have a stack with a JPEG file and a RAW file and the JPEG file is used as original. To change to the RAW file go into edit mode (enter) and choose Image - > Use Raw as original. The letter will now change to a R.

mrnorwegian's gear list:mrnorwegian's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
jhersco Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: In Photos app what does the J in white square box (lower bottom left of thumbnails) mean?

Len_Gee wrote:

Hello,

Also, does Photos app thumbnails identify photos shot in RAW? Where do I find that info?

Thanks.

Lena

The J indicates that the JPEG is the original (master). You can switch to RAW as the original when you are in Edit mode. In the menubar, choose Image/Use RAW as Original. Photos seems to use the JPEG as default when you import, but if you switch it in the Edit mode, the icon in the lower left corner of the thumbnail will change to R.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,783

jhersco wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Hello,

Also, does Photos app thumbnails identify photos shot in RAW? Where do I find that info?

Thanks.

Lena

The J indicates that the JPEG is the original (master). You can switch to RAW as the original when you are in Edit mode. In the menubar, choose Image/Use RAW as Original. Photos seems to use the JPEG as default when you import, but if you switch it in the Edit mode, the icon in the lower left corner of the thumbnail will change to R.

jhersco,

Thank you!   I could not figure it out since some were shot in camera JPEG+ RAW.  It's been driving me crazy for days.  

Lena

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Apple iPhone 6 Plus +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads