Absolutely Heavenly!

Started May 3, 2015 | User reviews
Sandmanusd New Member • Posts: 20
Absolutely Heavenly!

I cannot love this lens any more than I do.  This thing is just built like a tank, has such a sturdy feel to it, and is just super sharp wide open.
Unless I absolutely NEED more depth of field, I never stop this thing down from wide open.  It is just that good.   
I use this on a D700 and a D7100 and its just beautiful.
The bokeh that this produces wide open is just heavenly...  its so buttery smooth and creamy and dreamy and... just... beautiful.  
The only flaw with this lens, is the lens hood doesn't lock into place.  It is there to block sunlight only, and just collapses if knocked into something... so it doesn't protect anything very much, other than from the sun.  A minor "issue" but one to think about if you are rough on equipment.  
Of course this lens is built like a tank, unlike the plastic junk Nikon and everyone pumps out nowadays (even though, yes I know this lens is still available new, but it is a very old design)

Sandmanusd's gear list:Sandmanusd's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Telephoto prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 1940
Sandmanusd's score
Average community score
lynnG Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: Absolutely Heavenly!

I don't have the D version but the first AF version with plastic smooth surface. Here is one from London Marathon last week.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,228

Sandmanusd wrote:

I cannot love this lens any more than I do. This thing is just built like a tank, has such a sturdy feel to it, and is just super sharp wide open.
Unless I absolutely NEED more depth of field, I never stop this thing down from wide open. It is just that good.
I use this on a D700 and a D7100 and its just beautiful.
The bokeh that this produces wide open is just heavenly... its so buttery smooth and creamy and dreamy and... just... beautiful.
The only flaw with this lens, is the lens hood doesn't lock into place. It is there to block sunlight only, and just collapses if knocked into something... so it doesn't protect anything very much, other than from the sun. A minor "issue" but one to think about if you are rough on equipment.
Of course this lens is built like a tank, unlike the plastic junk Nikon and everyone pumps out nowadays (even though, yes I know this lens is still available new, but it is a very old design)

Fitting title. I'm surprised you haven't received more feedback on this fabulous portrait.

Best Regards, Pierre

jimmy.walsh
jimmy.walsh Regular Member • Posts: 353

Gorgeous photo. I'm curious to know how this lens holds up with a high-res 24mp or 36mp sensor? Has anyone used this with a D810?

jimmy.walsh's gear list:jimmy.walsh's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +3 more
sinkas Senior Member • Posts: 1,600

Fancy falling in love with an inanimate object!  Us photographers are a rare breed aren't we? Seriously looks like a nice lens and a possible poor persons alternatively to the sublime Nikon 200mm F2.

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +5 more
joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682

Fstop85 wrote:

Gorgeous photo. I'm curious to know how this lens holds up with a high-res 24mp or 36mp sensor? Has anyone used this with a D810?

Aside from cropping out the corners, the D7100 owned by the OP would be a tougher test of the lens than the D8X0. At 24MP in the APS-C frame, it is equivalent to a 54MP full frame sensor.

Agreed on the photo. Wonderful light and the background really makes the portrait pop.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
torqueit New Member • Posts: 20

That portrait alone makes me want to own that lens.  Beautiful work.  Love the out of focus areas and the overall framing.  Great color and contrast!

torqueit's gear list:torqueit's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Van Griff Senior Member • Posts: 1,748

S

Beautiful image . . . and yes . . . the 180 f/2.8D is a fabulous lens . . . love mine . . . one of my fav  lenses . . .

Best

V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +33 more
OP Sandmanusd New Member • Posts: 20

torqueit wrote:

That portrait alone makes me want to own that lens. Beautiful work. Love the out of focus areas and the overall framing. Great color and contrast!

Thanks so much all.  I appreciate it.   I will post a shot I took with it on my D7100 as well, its not a D810, but its much higher resolution than my D700, though really more than you need for any reasonable sized print or crop.   
I got my D700 after my D7100... I am quite the pixel peeper and I thought I would regret the "only 12.1 megapixel" camera... but I like it even more... it prevents me from zooming in to 200% ...  which is good, because there is nothing at 200% crop that will ever be seen on a normal sized print of anything... and the file sizes are so much more manageable..
I love this lens on both bodies though.  It's just a fantastic little lens.
I got my copy for $440 in basically brand new condition a few months ago.  Though the serial number puts it manufactured in the mid 2000's.
I just got a Nikon 80-200 AF-S 2.8D this week, to have a bit more versatility.  And while, obviously, not as sharp as the 180, its still pretty darn nice.   I will probably throw up a review with image of the 80-200 soon.  Not that my reviews are actually very helpful, just for fun

Sandmanusd's gear list:Sandmanusd's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,242

Nice image! The 180 2.8D is a wonderful lens, but shhhhh, you will drive the price up.....

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
Albert Contributing Member • Posts: 848

Absolutely love mine.

Albert's gear list:Albert's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +10 more
z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,432

That portrait alone makes me want to own that lens.  Beautiful work.  Love the out of focus areas and the overall framing.  Great color and contrast!

i bought one for 300 euro on ebay. IQ on same level as 70-200 f4 and very good. i have to use this lens more for portraits and people. very good picture from OP
--
photography = catching light
https://500px.com/peter2030

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
Al93151 Senior Member • Posts: 1,046

Hi

I absolutely love it too, got mine a few years ago at a good price

D200 180mm 2.8 lens

It is perfect for the kind of day out I enjoy - above was at London Marathon 2012

The French jazz band were great  - as was the marathon !

Al

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads