The Other Tamron: 16-300 Samples (Rodney Dangerfield Edition)

Started Apr 27, 2015 | User reviews
rxb dc Senior Member • Posts: 2,100
The Other Tamron: 16-300 Samples (Rodney Dangerfield Edition)

I've been shooting with the Tamron 16-300 for almost 10 months now. This lens has received its share of appreciation for its versatility but occasional criticism, especially from a few here who repeatedly maligned the lens for its problems (without actually posting a single image in most cases) in what almost seemed like a negative-campaign.

My experience has been that it is a really nice lens to carry with you. I've taken it on travel, walking/hiking and for general use. The combination of the wide angle (16 mm on APS-C or about 25mm on Canon) and long (300mm, 480mm equivalent) really does provide a lot of creative freedom. My experience at our local park is indicative - with that one lens, I can grab photographs of birds and a sunset.

It does suffer from CR in high contrast scenarios but nothing that cannot be fixed in post. I did a comparison test a few months back, comparing it to the Canon 10-18, Canon 50 and Tamron 150-600 (at appropriate focal lengths) here 'Tamron 16-300 compared to Canon 10-18, Canon 50 and Tamron 150-600'http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3763737 and the results were pretty decent.

RATING:

• Versatility : 5
  • Travel/Portability: 5
  • Range: 4 (especially like that wide is almost to 25mm)
  • Macro Capability: 4 (just under 1:3 - IQ seems decent)
  • Handling: 4
  • AF: 4.5
  • Image Stabilization: 5
  • Image Quality: 4
  • Chromatic Aberration: 3.5
  • OVERALL SCORE 4

Would I recommend this lens to my friends - YES

Best Features: One lens to take everywhere; opens up creative possibilities (because of instantly available range)

Worst: CR; slow like most zooms; not as sharp as say the Canon 10-18

Anyhow, here are some representative photos that I hope you will enjoy and perhaps help you make a choice. Note that some of the images are focus stacked or multi-image exposures for DR.

Focus stacked. This is the sharpest image - check out the details at 100%.

This is a multi-shot composite made from exposure bracketed shots.

This was under fairly low light conditions. Hand held, with a little support against the car door.

Focus stacked

-- hide signature --

Safety Warning: Bad taste unmitigated by moderate skill

rxb dc's gear list:rxb dc's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Sony/Minolta Alpha • B016
Announced: Feb 6, 2014
rxb dc's score
Average community score
solster Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: The Other Tamron: 16-300 Samples (Rodney Dangerfield Edition)

Thanks for the review - reassuring to know I didn't make a poor investment, on getting this lens with a Fotga adapter for my A6000. I'm rather new to lenses and experimenting

solster's gear list:solster's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
OP rxb dc Senior Member • Posts: 2,100

Thanks for the review - reassuring to know I didn't make a poor investment, on getting this lens with a Fotga adapter for my A6000. I'm rather new to lenses and experimenting

Hope you are enjoying shooting with the lens and getting some good inages out.

-- hide signature --

Safety Warning: Bad taste unmitigated by moderate skill

rxb dc's gear list:rxb dc's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
solster Forum Member • Posts: 79

Here's one at 300mm from my balcony - shows off the good and bad of this lens, nice bokeh and  reasonable sharpness with good color saturation, while having visible CA towards edges (will correct in LR)

I'm getting to like this lens better than the kit lens (no surprise) on my A6000. Was an unusual choice/combination of lens with the A6000 probably, since I didn't find anyone on the forum or web with it, but not regretting the choice nonetheless

solster's gear list:solster's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads