M3 - not a real big step in autofocus

Started Apr 24, 2015 | User reviews
QuarryCat
QuarryCat Junior Member • Posts: 38
M3 - not a real big step in autofocus

I have the Canon EOS M1, it is very slow and not really good above ISO 800, it keeps missing the viewfinder, the fully moveable screen, a grip, better battery and much more.

But it is nice, small, durable and i appreciate the red one.

I was hoping for a much faster M3 with big grip, really good viewfinder und much better high-ISO-performance.
I tried the M3, it is still small, there isn't much grip, the viewfinder is expensive and not really up to date in low light - not what I like in the Olympus OM-D, Fuji X-T1 or Panasonic GH4 - not even close.
The battery-performancen is still worse und High ISO is good until 1600 ISO now.

But the huge drawback for me is the af-performance. It is faster then M1 but not very close to Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung or even Fuji and Sony... it is still the slowest mirrorless-af on the market...

They should have build in there new 20 MP sensor from the EOS 7D Mark II.

And I love the new lenses, but they have slow aperture, only the 2,0/22 is really nice to use.
Canon just tries to keep it small and pricey - the same wrong way Nikon 1 took.

I would pay 500$ or 650$ with viewfinder and lens, but not more.

Canon has a lot to lern from the inventor Panasonic, and they are still years behind G6

I bought Panasonic GH4 instead, even a Olympus E-M10 is a faster camera with much more possibilities.

QuarryCat's gear list:QuarryCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus E-1 +50 more
Canon EOS M3
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 6, 2015
QuarryCat's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
weak
Action / sports
awful
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
mediocre
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
bad
Studio / still life
bad
= community average
Canon EOS M3 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mick P Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: M3 - not a real big step in autofocus

Good for you.

I have the M1 and now the M3. I've been finding that I can get shots with the M3 which would be difficult to capture using the M1. To me it feels like a vast improvement. You do need to keep in mind the basic photography stuff making the normal tradeoffs between tv/av/iso else you won't get good results. Also worth keeping in mind that there doesn't appear to be any cross type pdaf points so careful what you aim for.

Love the flippy screen and viewfinder. Now have all four native lenses and am happy to use the 22 in low light. Find the creative possibilities with the other lenses very satisfying. I'm traveling at the moment so have only seen my images on a pretty poor laptop display but the IQ seems up to scratch so far.

Hope you're as happy (or happier) with your new purchase as I am with mine.

Mick.

Mick P's gear list:Mick P's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
SkipJG
SkipJG Regular Member • Posts: 154

Everyone's personal rating is different, but I find many of the ratings low.  I make that statement as I own both a M1 and a M3.  I find the M3 to be an improvement in every way, AF speed included.  If AF speed is your key, critical area, then go to a DSLR, it will not disappoint.  I guess for some reason I don't see the big loss of opportunities with the AF speed that others do.  I do see the big resolution and photo quality benefits of the APC sensor over the the micro 4/3 sensor.  I can say that truthfully having owned both the OM-D E-M5 and the OM-D E-M10.  Loved both, ultimately sold them due to the picture quality.  Luckily for all of us, we have so many choices.

SkipJG's gear list:SkipJG's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,290

SkipJG wrote:

Everyone's personal rating is different, but I find many of the ratings low.

definitely.

I dislike many things about the M3 .. but for stills / studio? that low? really? what the hell is wrong with the M3 for stills and studio?

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
o_23 Contributing Member • Posts: 735
You will love M

You will love M if you upgrade your monitor. Or maybe not if IQ is not your priority.

o_23's gear list:o_23's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
o_23 Contributing Member • Posts: 735
Larger grip

QuarryCat wrote:

I was hoping for a much faster M3 with big grip, really good viewfinder und much better high-ISO-performance.
I tried the M3, it is still small, there isn't much grip

Grip for M and M3 here for $16.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001JJCI5Q/

o_23's gear list:o_23's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
EFM22
EFM22 Regular Member • Posts: 130

I have 250 bucks in my piggy bank waiting for the firesale.

EFM22's gear list:EFM22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Phase One Capture One Pro
Tremint Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

EFM22 wrote:

I have 250 bucks in my piggy bank waiting for the firesale.

I dont think that will ever happen. This may be the camera that should have come out but its usable with a great sensor. (esp low light). And Canon USA is not going to take another chance.

Rey G Regular Member • Posts: 105

Yup, can't have a fire sale with zero stock. LOL

Rey G's gear list:Rey G's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +10 more
Markintosh
Markintosh Senior Member • Posts: 1,870

Just two questions:

1. Did you actually purchased M3 or based your "review" on 10 minutes in-store play with the camera?

2. Do you own 11-22mm lens?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +8 more
QuarryCat
QuarryCat OP Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: You will love M

o_23 wrote:

You will love M if you upgrade your monitor. Or maybe not if IQ is not your priority.

sorry, I don't love any camera - keep my love for living creatures.

The IQ is good, but depends on the light and used lenses - it is by far not a camera thing alone.
If IQ is priority, I rent a Pentax 645Z.

If I have to travel and bring back shots for a book, I travel with Panasonic GH4 and Eos 5D3.

so the EOS M3 can't compete for me... waiting for a better body with viewfinder from Canon in summer - they told me, in june will be shown something far better in EOS M-Line..

Canon PowerShot G11 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus E-1 +50 more
QuarryCat
Re: Larger grip

o_23 wrote:

QuarryCat wrote:

I tried the M3, it is still small, there isn't much grip

Grip for M and M3 here for $16.99

Great joke - thanks!
Look at the Panasonic Cameras instead.

QuarryCat

Markintosh wrote:

Just two questions:

1. Did you actually purchased M3 or based your "review" on 10 minutes in-store play with the camera?

2. Do you own 11-22mm lens?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

I have the M3 the third week now.

No the 11-22 mm I tested last year, for my photography it is not the right choice, for Landscape and buildings I use a 4,0/16-35 mm - that is hard to beat on a 5D3.

It is maybe a good step for people who only know canon-cameras.

It remembers me on the D30 - in the digital beginning, that was an affordable camera, but the af was horrible slow. 
The same mistake did Canon with the Eos 5D and the M1 - it takes some cameras to present a good af.

So M3 is ok but far from good enough in af-comparison.

Canon thinks like Nikon, the new mirrorless cameras has to be small - I don't agree,

a real good camera needs 600-800g weight and must have a real good, big grip - especially for my, I like to use long lenses with big apertures.

Canon has a lot to do, to make the EOS M a solid bank for the future.
Even Nikon 1 have a real fast af and interesting lenses and maybe 1" sensors are really enough for most pictures - but the system is by far to expensive.

G-D Contributing Member • Posts: 613

QuarryCat wrote:

o_23 wrote:

sorry, I don't love any camera - keep my love for living creatures.

The IQ is good, but depends on the light and used lenses - it is by far not a camera thing alone.
If IQ is priority, I rent a Pentax 645Z.

If I have to travel and bring back shots for a book, I travel with Panasonic GH4 and Eos 5D3.

so the EOS M3 can't compete for me... waiting for a better body with viewfinder from Canon in summer - they told me,

they = who exactly?

in june will be shown something far better in EOS M-Line..

EFM22
EFM22 Regular Member • Posts: 130

Well, it was obvious a joke but time will tell. I love my M (bought in a firesale) and the three native lenses I have but it's no cow on the ice (swedish saying direct translated) meaning I'm in no hurry for the M3. I let the storm settle and decide later. With all this threads with pros and cons, it's impossible to judge what this newborn is or isn't yet. Frankly, it makes me dizzy.

EFM22's gear list:EFM22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Phase One Capture One Pro
QuarryCat

CPS - Canon Professional Service

G-D Contributing Member • Posts: 613

QuarryCat wrote:

Care to elaborate on what to expect in June?

QuarryCat

G-D wrote:

QuarryCat wrote:

Care to elaborate on what to expect in June?

No, sorry.

But Canon will take leadership in mirror less, and EOS M3 will not be enough.
There should be a cheap camera under 500 and a better, faster camera with viewfinder around 1000.... the M3 is just the middle thing... I guess.

They go the Olympus/Sony way - 1. without viewfinder
2. with external viewfinder - 3. with internal viewfinder

the viewfinder will be essential for a serious camera but I think it will last until christmas...
to buy it.

But i am not a rumor side and I don't know concrete plans from Canon - just guessing.

Abu Mahendra Senior Member • Posts: 4,431

The M is fine for my needs. IQ is great. I only look forward to the M3. This, from one who also owns a 6D with L glass. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

OOC RAW via Android tablet, zero PP.

-- hide signature --

>> I love the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens! <<

Abu Mahendra's gear list:Abu Mahendra's gear list
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
whakapu Contributing Member • Posts: 812

I did read a while ago on one of the rumour sites that Canon plans to release "4 mirrorless cameras" this year. But they didn't spell out mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, could include compacts etc. But with the way the M3 has had its specs hobbled it makes sense that there's a serious one coming. Why would Canon sell us a great camera at a good price !!! Re the firesale - it wasn't just USA. Mine came from Taiwan. I think Japan may have been about the only place the M sold well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads