Safari tab pops out into separate window

Started Apr 16, 2015 | Discussions
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,338
Safari tab pops out into separate window

Ever since upgrading to Yosemite, when I’m browsing in Safari, I find that tabs frequently — several times a day — pop out to individual windows. This is annoying, since I have to merge the windows back together, and maybe rearrange the tabs to my customary arrangement.

Anyone seen this behavior? Is there anyway to prevent it?

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
RonPhil Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Safari tab pops out into separate window

I have not noticed this. I am running Yosemite on a 2012 MBPr, with Safari Version 8.0.5 (build 10600.5.17)

...Ron

Mark Scott Abeln
OP Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,338

RonPhil wrote:

I have not noticed this. I am running Yosemite on a 2012 MBPr, with Safari Version 8.0.5 (build 10600.5.17)

I’m running the same OS and browser version, my computer is a mid-2011 Mac Mini.

All I can think of is that I must be dragging the mouse a bit when clicking, but the process seems to be unpredictable.

Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 218

Out of interest have you checked the Safari - Preferences - Tabs settings?

Mark Scott Abeln

MBradfield wrote:

Out of interest have you checked the Safari - Preferences - Tabs settings?

Hmmmm…

“⌘-Option-Shift-Click: Opens a link in a new window, and makes it the active window.”

I don’t think that’s what I’m doing. 

So is the "Open pages in tabs instead of windows" set to

"Never" or "Automatically" or "Always"

Mark Scott Abeln

So is the "Open pages in tabs instead of windows" set to

"Never" or "Automatically" or "Always"

Automatically.

My problem is that existing tabs get thrown into their own window. This doesn't happen when clicking on a link.
--
http://therefractedlight.blogspot.com

rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,606

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

All I can think of is that I must be dragging the mouse a bit when clicking, but the process seems to be unpredictable.

Have had this happen a few times (with several previous OS versions) due to my own user error, but not randomly. Have not had it occur on 10.10.3 yet though, which I installed the day after it was released.

How old is your mouse? Maybe the click mechanism is acting up and causing it to drag. My magic mouse is from 2009 but still working well.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more

Mark,

If the tabs are set to "Automatically" :

Safari opens pages in tabs - unless a page is designed for a specially formatted window.

I'm not sure if there's a simple solution other than setting tabs to "Always" which might include formatted windows.

Safari usually takes immediate action but maybe it has to be closed & reopened.
But with Mavericks it could be that if there are several processes named 'Safari Web Content" running & one has hung & its that that's causing the problem. This can be seen using the 'Activity monitor'.

If this is the case then it's an Apple problem which might get fixed in the next update. Who knows - Apple isn't the company it used to be regarding OS X. Its now geared towards iOS which is where the money is.

Mark Scott Abeln

rb0321 wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Have had this happen a few times (with several previous OS versions) due to my own user error, but not randomly. Have not had it occur on 10.10.3 yet though, which I installed the day after it was released.

How old is your mouse? Maybe the click mechanism is acting up and causing it to drag. My magic mouse is from 2009 but still working well.

My mouse dates from 2007, and yes, it does act up at times.

I’ve been thinking about replacing it, so perhaps I’ll do so.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads