Firmware 1.21 A7/7R/7S A6000

Started Apr 8, 2015 | Discussions
Sol Invictus
Sol Invictus Regular Member • Posts: 481
Re: Firmware 1.21 A7/7R/7S A6000

A friend of mine got a new A7 with firmware v1.02 and he has asked me to do the updates for him. Do I need to install previous updates (1.10, 1.20) first and then v1.21 or should I go straight for firmware v1.21 instead?

-- hide signature --

cult of natural light...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +14 more
gugarci Senior Member • Posts: 1,620

No need to do the previous FW updates first.

gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
Sol Invictus
Sol Invictus Regular Member • Posts: 481

gugarci wrote:

No need to do the previous FW updates first.

Thanks. So each time a new update comes up, it includes all previous versions?

-- hide signature --

cult of natural light...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +14 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,103
Is this Firmware OK ? still no English page

I`ve been asked to update the firmware in an A6000 which is still on a very early version and Sony UK / Europe is still only listing 1.20 and not 1.21 despite this thread being a month old

Is this file downloaded from Sony Japan's site (in Japanese) "Update_ILCE6000V121.EXE" ok for UK cameras ? . wondering as it`s still only on the Japanese page

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Nikon D700 Sony a7R II +1 more
Re: Is this Firmware OK ? still no English page

Read the thread & others on this site on FW 1.21. It's on the Japaneses website only but many here have updated this firmware with no issues. I'm holding off for now, not interested in fixing something that is not broken on my a6000.

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,129

It is universal download. I updated my camera and it is still in English no issues.

The updater itself too ran in English

It was not clear what 1.21 fixes from the description. What happened in reality is much faster boot of A7. On A6000 I saw no obvious change form 1.20.

Overall the 1.2x updates made the cameras quicker to start up even if battery is replaced.

This was huge for A7 where start of camera could take few seconds. A6000 was always acceptable, now it is very fast.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III
AdamT

gugarci wrote:

Read the thread & others on this site on FW 1.21. It's on the Japaneses website only but many here have updated this firmware with no issues. I'm holding off for now, not interested in fixing something that is not broken on my a6000.

Thanks,  I`ll use 1.20 then - It`s not my camera so better not to take the chance

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Nikon D700 Sony a7R II +1 more
Rob1985 New Member • Posts: 3

AdamT wrote:

gugarci wrote:

Thanks, I`ll use 1.20 then - It`s not my camera so better not to take the chance

I just installed 1.21 on my Dutch A6000. Everything went fine. For safety I set my camera to English and after the update to Dutch.

I have not tested the firmware yet, but the previous updaters show that the update should have improvements.

NumberOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

AdamT wrote:

I`ve been asked to update the firmware in an A6000 which is still on a very early version and Sony UK / Europe is still only listing 1.20 and not 1.21 despite this thread being a month old

Is this file downloaded from Sony Japan's site (in Japanese) "Update_ILCE6000V121.EXE" ok for UK cameras ? . wondering as it`s still only on the Japanese page

Regarding the "Japanese Files", AFAIK and except user error, there haven't been any problems with any camera model to which the firmware update applies; again to my knowledge, Sony never/ever released country specific firmware files...

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Pedro

P.S. - I have been (an early) updater with Sony cameras and so far never had a problem with my A7R firmware udates...

NumberOne's gear list:NumberOne's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +15 more
AdamT

I just installed 1.21 on my Dutch A6000. Everything went fine. For safety I set my camera to English and after the update to Dutch.

I have not tested the firmware yet, but the previous updaters show that the update should have improvements.

I did the 1.21 also and went without a hitch ..... I wsas surprised that Sony have moved towards the Olympus way of doing it, I prefer the old method of copying the file yourself to the memory card and letting the cam get on with it on its own . less chance of Bricking (or the company using the computer a scape-goat when it goes belly up) and a lot faster .

Lovely camera, fantastic sensor and performance - I wish Sony would make ONE really good standard zoom for it  . both her 16-50 and my old black NEX7-18-55 aren't up to the sensor quality across the frame and neither is the expensive 16-70 F4 from all the reports I`ve seen. I wish Sony would copy the EOS-M 18-55, it`s damn near perfect everywhere wideopen ..

-- hide signature --

AdamT

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I did the 1.21 update in the end and Yup, all went well , it was on 1.01 or 1.11 so needed doing anyway .. from the reports here , it`ll give her better low light AF which was really needed

-- hide signature --

AdamT wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I did the 1.21 update in the end and Yup, all went well , it was on 1.01 or 1.11 so needed doing anyway .. from the reports here , it`ll give her better low light AF which was really needed

Good to know and welcome to the "1.21 Club"!

Cheers,
Pedro

Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +15 more
red fuji Regular Member • Posts: 213

素晴らしい、日本のすべてのです!私はちょうどコピーして、グーグルに全体ソニーのウェブサイトを翻訳して貼り付けていますか?

red fuji's gear list:red fuji's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sony a7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
AdamT

Well I tested it in Low light using the single smallest "Movable" AF point and the low Light AF is transformed from the usual "give up in an instant and show a massive box" thing Sonys tend to do (and this 6000 did with Version 1.?) and actually locked pretty fast with the small box green   . She`s going to find this camera far better.

-- hide signature --

AdamT wrote:

Well I tested it in Low light using the single smallest "Movable" AF point and the low Light AF is transformed from the usual "give up in an instant and show a massive box" thing Sonys tend to do (and this 6000 did with Version 1.?) and actually locked pretty fast with the small box green . She`s going to find this camera far better.

Quite honestly I hope Sony continues to deliver improvements, corrections or even new functions through firmware updates; in this point, although I don't actually use/own any of their  equipment, Fuji still leads this customer service, IMO...

All the best,
Pedro

What's new in FW 1.21 for the a6000

That site is hard to navigate. Is there a place on that site where it outlines what's new in version 1.21 for the a6000? Also has this FW affected the use of third party batteries?

Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 7,093

Startup is faster, and the battery drain that would happen while the camera is turned off seems to have stopped, ie. During a 2week period the battery would drain to under 10%, since the update, it has stayed at or near 100% after a 2 week period.

-- hide signature --

I don't have any AF lenses, so if I want a picture, I have to do more than squeeze a button.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
My lenses:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus
Mark Twain
####Where's my FF NEX-7 ?????

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +20 more
Re: What's new in FW 1.21 for the a6000

gugarci wrote:

That site is hard to navigate. Is there a place on that site where it outlines what's new in version 1.21 for the a6000? Also has this FW affected the use of third party batteries?

Found it. However there's no mention of any AF improvement but the info is very vague.
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/update/

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,129

AdamT wrote:

Well I tested it in Low light using the single smallest "Movable" AF point and the low Light AF is transformed from the usual "give up in an instant and show a massive box" thing Sonys tend to do

The big box feature is user selectable on all Sony cameras! If you disable the AF Assist feature then no big box will ever show on any Sony. AF Assist == Big Box.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads